IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

I Found My Thrill...

MattyB

Kyle,  I don't know what palm that is in post 22.  Also, Bob couldn't remember what palm the Euterpe was and I offered E. edulis and he said that was it.  His memory could be fuzzy on that though.  I'd be curious to hear from others what else it might be.  Also, does anyone have any comments on the Butia hybrid thing.  Is it just a stretched out Butia?  Look at the leafbases, it screames Jubaea to me.

Edit:  I just saw that Dennis thinks it's a King Palm.  Hmmmm could be, looks different to me though.  It could be smaller due to lack of water I suppose.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Hi Guys

Euterpe edulis has drooping leaves/leaflets and lovely slender trunks. Thats a king or second best guess a Dictyosperma album.

Cheers

Dennis

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Dennis, one thing I've noticed around here is that Euterpe edulis don't really have the droopy fronds you see in the tropics.  I think it's because of our dry air.....maybe?  I'm still not postive it's a Euterpe so any other guesses would be much appreciated.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

My Euterpe edulis doesn't have the droopy fronds and pretty much looks like crap all the time, but I think there is something wrong with it in general.  However I saw one in full sun in Poway (inland, hot, dry) a couple weeks ago that had about 15 feet of trunk, droopy leaves, setting seed, perfect looking.  I really don't think the palm in that photo is a Euterpe.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

I think that could just be a normal butia. I saw many butia looking like that in Florida, especially ones that were naturalized growing in the forests there.

For the Euterpe, are Bentinkentia nicobarica hardy there? I think it king of looks like a tall Prestoea acuminata as well.

I'm always up for learning new things!

(MattyB @ Nov. 24 2006,21:18)

Ron next to a super nice Sabal.  This is his favorite palm.

One of my favorites as well. Is that sp. Riverside? I might consider one of these over a Bismarkia. My wife is not crazy about silver blue palms- doesn't go with the decor.

ashton

Ashton, I don't know.  Guesses welcome.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

On second thought, that palm looks like a S. uresana. It looked like S. maritima, but is too costapalmate.

I think I saw Encephalartos kisambo, eugene-mariasii, maybe longifolius?

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

'Riverside' is an unofficial epithet for a palm grown by a guy who grabbed some seed from a Sabal he was unable to identify growing in Riverside, CA - that's the story I heard, anyway

I get by with a little help from my fronds

• 2 years later...

I found my thrill looking at all the great photos. :drool: Old thread with great palms & cycads worth viewing! :D

Moose :)

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Well, the Moose is loose! Great thread. I thought the Euterpe and pusilla were top. It is interesting that California Sabals are much thicker than their Florida cousins.

What you look for is what is looking

I think, Matt, that we all enjoyed your photo tour "back home!" It's great to see palms thriving "from sea to shining sea," with a major garden that you photo captured!

Great work, mate!

Paul

Paul, The Palm Doctor @ http://www.thewisegardener.com

Bob's garden is a real treat to appreciate one of the favoured microclimates in your area!

It's amazing in its scope, Matt! Cycads in best vigour, and some palms that rival South Florida's "garden standards" inch for inch! Gorgeous garden, Matt! Truly a treat for our eyes!

Grcias!

Pablo

Paul, The Palm Doctor @ http://www.thewisegardener.com

That's a blast from the past. This is before I bought the house next door to Bob! I guess it's smart to get garden tours in the area before you buy so you can see what you're getting into. By the way, I think I misidentified the Euterpe and the Phoenix. The Euterpe is Archontophoenix alexandrae I'm pretty sure now. And the Phoenix is Phoenix sylvestris. I think I think.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

That purported 'twerp has the same general shape as mine do. Not at all droopy.

But, it also looks a bit silver on the reverses of hte leaves. If it's got a trunk that's 6" thick or more, I seriously doubt it's a twerp.

It also looks too "attenuated" in the crown (leaves don't spread far enough) to be an Archie . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 4 years later...

This is a tour of my neighbor's yard in 2006, a whole year before I moved in next door. I knew we had a special location but the last 7 years have exceeded my expectations.

Another thread that I will be deleting due to the new ridiculous terms of service.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

The only people you are hurting are the people that enjoy your post and other Palmtalkers. Do you think the people that make IPS decisions that don't come here really care?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I'm reading as fast as I can, but I can't pull an all nighter to catch up on all this history. Maybe by the time I can read everything Matt has posted, something will change.

Cindy Adair

• 3 years later...

Doink

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.