Sign in to follow this  
DoomsDave

Pink Rot

DoomsDave

Howdyall:

Oside Terry's post on the mushrooms inspired this one.

Another fungus to hate is Pink Rot, shown here infecting a Dypsis lutescens. NOte the pinkish powder at teh base of the stems.

areca_pinkrot_2.JPG

osideterry

A couple of times I have yanked a dead leafbase or crownshaft prematurely, creating a new growth ring that turns pink briefly and then returns to normal. The palms being a king and teddy bear. Is this color a normal oxidation, or what could turn into the pink?

To date I have never seen the pink powder. My rotting experiences usually involve a hole at the base, or a stinking spear pull

BS Man about Palms
A couple of times I have yanked a dead leafbase or crownshaft prematurely, creating a new growth ring that turns pink briefly and then returns to normal.

BE very careful of this Terry. It is a prime way to get pink rot "into" your palms!!!

osideterry

With the teddy the crownshaft was barely hanging on like a loose tooth. A quick tug and a little chunk of trunk tears off with it. That was it it. I let them fall off on their own now.