IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How to stop palm tree growing to high

marrylucas234

Hi,

You can temporarily stunt the palm trees' growth by pruning the roots. The roots need to be at their optimum 'root ball size' for the palm to even grow.

or

"BE ADVISED: This way of stunting the growth on a palm is permanent, and will eventually lead to a dead palm. The reason is that once stunted, it will not produce new fronds. The existing fronds won't last forever, and when they go, then the whole tree goes. There is a better option, but first I will tell you how to stunt it.

Cut out the middle growth entirely. All new fronds grow out of the top middle, and if they are cut out, then the growth will be stunted. SOMETIMES the palm will shoot out more middle growth, but don't count on it!

Better alternative, is to dig and expose roots within one foot around base of palm. This is difficult, as there are a ton of stringy roots. Just expose the top of them within a foot around. What this does is allow the sun to shine on them which will promote growth of shoot-offs. Once a shoot-off starts and is healthy, cut down the main tree and nourish the shoot-off, hence it's like starting over with a new palm that is not too tall.

Good luck, but don't forget you won't keep a stunted tree for long!"

Spam? I am NOT gonna click on that webcam at the bottom...

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Wahhhhhhhh?????????? :wacko::unsure:

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Spam? I am NOT gonna click on that webcam at the bottom...

Not sure Kim. Semi- suspicious, but the "webcam" is not a clickable link for me.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Nor for me. Dean, I thought you were in charge of maintaining a high level of security here!? :lol:

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Dear Marry

This is a forum to teach us all how to grow jamboo palms faster,i.e CIDP,chilean wine palm & the coryphas as fast as possible and make them fruit early.

But your suggestions given above is like slow posioning a palm,and gradually & stealthly sending them to the grave...

And by the way are you a dicot tree fan ? :hmm:

kris.

By the way the topic should be phrased as how to slowely kill a palm tree..

love conquers all..

43278.gif

How to stop palm tree growing to high...........KILL IT!

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

I have a palm in the wrong spot and I thought oh wow this is the answer to my prayers, but ummm errrr somehow I really don't fancy killing the poor thing eventually. I think he meant well however and just wants to get involved with the group. Don't be mean to a newcomer even if his subject matter was ill advised.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Interesting topic. I have a green Malayan coconut that I've been growing as a sort of "bonsai", for almost 7 years now in a large bonsai pot. I have trimmed the root mass by roughly 1/3 every two years or so without any ill effect whatsoever. The palm is around 4 feet tall with around 12-13" of clear, woody trunk. It is an experiment in progress, I will post photos of it sometime in the near future.

-Michael

It is hard to believe that Mary who says she is located in London, has need of palm stunting.

I guess it was London in the UK.

It's not like growth of anything is rapid in that climate.

Can we see some pictures of the palms that have proved this theory.

Jim

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

I have stopped the growth of many a palm. Stopped them in their tracks. Some actually lay down and turn brown as to blend into the mulch.

• Like 1

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

Is there such a thing as bonzai palms?

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Here's how to stunt a palm and keep it alive for years.

post-158-1260413237_thumb.jpg

That is torture !

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

I wonder just how many cigarette butts and how much stale beer contributed to the fine condition of the palms. :drool:

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Kathryn, if all palms would have this look,I probably wasn´t in palms! :lol:

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Marry:

Welcome to our group!

I note that you're from London (I assume UK), which is intriguing.

What, really, is your question?

In other words, do you have a palm that's too tall for where you want to put it?

If so, what kind of palm is it, and maybe give us a picture.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Those poor potted palms, that is just so wrong. Love the shape of the trunk however, what species are they ?

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

• 2 weeks later...

They're cotton palms Peachy. Good old Washingtonia's that are now mutants and have turned ................EVIL. :wacko::blink:

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Sabal Palms are very tough when they are small. Sometimes they come up where I don't want them and because their roots go clear down to China, I don't dig them out, I just cut the top off. The heart is still way underground so they keep on growing. If you cut them down to almost nothing yearly, you can keep them small for quite a long time.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Those are Washingtonia palms on Carrollton Avenue in New Orleans. They have been there for a long time - 20 years at least. Look at how close together the leaf scares are and how the trunks have tapered slowly over time. I considered fertilizing them a few years back but figured they are probably best left alone.

• 10 years later...

My two Royal Palms are beautiful and healthy. They are very tall now.  I would like to sell them.  Any suggestions?

• 11 months later...

We are in London UK and have a lovely palm tree in our garden. When we moved in 15 years ago it was half the size and it keeps on growing taller! Is there anyway to stop it growing any taller without killing it? Please have a look at these photos to see what you'd recommend. Thank you

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hdPQUTYOXcnhDVI8YO2PhK9bwXBGuyNS/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10ZSTWFcYD2G5LiX4arBfmAhG8pb2s_MM/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UHcsAFUm5fFWfKnaqOP4UCjZJao5Mq7v/view?usp=sharing