IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What's your fav Dypsis?

Gileno Machado

Thanks Bill, I think it is finally at the point where it will take off...at least by Cali standards :) .

Stevo

• Upvote 1

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Any Dypsis I can get to grow more than 1 leaf per year in my garden !

Dypsis will only grow here between December and March. [ D. baronii]

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

These first three pictures were taken in the yard, sorry for the poor quality with the lighting. The first shows a new pinkish new leaf emerging. The second is an overall, but there's just too much of other stuff around it. And the third is looking down at the base, showing the beautiful markings. The palm's largest two leaves are 9' tall. It was planted in good shade, but soon I will be removing alot of branches overhead to let alot of direct sun in.

post-23-1262654060_thumb.jpg

post-23-1262654108_thumb.jpg

post-23-1262654150_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Wow, those markings are sweet looking Jeff.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Just last week, I brought home this D. mananjarensis to plant and decided to put it in a nice area of my yard, around the pool. It will get plenty of overhead sun come summer time. It's in a 7 gallon pot and will plant out at just under 6'.

There's a Red Sealing Wax palm off to the left, the large leaf tree is Ficus dammaropsis, and in the background is a very stout, seeding Beccariophoenix madagascariensis.

Jeff

post-23-1262654515_thumb.jpg

post-23-1262654566_thumb.jpg

post-23-1262654614_thumb.jpg

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

SWEET JEFF!!!

Its about time you got those pix up. Looking good my friend!

BS man

PS Matt- you're new Avatar cracks me up! :D

Edit- Wait, where'd it go?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

BS Man......are you talking about the palms or Jeff? :hmm:

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Hmm, lemmee thinka bout it. Those wet knees are lookin pretty good... :lol:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Dypsis Onilehensis are all the same with no variations. Here they are in habitat.

DSC_0949.jpg

WHAT? :huh::hmm::blink: I thought it was accepted there were several "types" as it were.... Upright leaf, drooping, etc. albeit yet to maybe be "named".

I bought this as a "black stem". Is this an upright leaf? It doesn't look like the black stem on Palmpedia. It's my favorite today! :D

post-1035-1262660183_thumb.jpg

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Hmm, lemmee thinka bout it. Those wet knees are lookin pretty good... :lol:

:lol::lol:

That "blackstem" is a cool looking palm.

• Upvote 1

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Just last week, I brought home this D. mananjarensis to plant and decided to put it in a nice area of my yard, around the pool. It will get plenty of overhead sun come summer time. It's in a 7 gallon pot and will plant out at just under 6'.

There's a Red Sealing Wax palm off to the left, the large leaf tree is Ficus dammaropsis, and in the background is a very stout, seeding Beccariophoenix madagascariensis.

Jeff

Be careful Jeff, that ficus might need a bit more room to grow :winkie:

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

These first three pictures were taken in the yard, sorry for the poor quality with the lighting. The first shows a new pinkish new leaf emerging. The second is an overall, but there's just too much of other stuff around it. And the third is looking down at the base, showing the beautiful markings. The palm's largest two leaves are 9' tall. It was planted in good shade, but soon I will be removing alot of branches overhead to let alot of direct sun in.

Jeff, I planted mine directly in full So Cal sun and it has leaves about six to seven feet, but the base is double the thickness of yours. Mine is also holding five leaves at this point. I think you are definately ready to get some more sun on your palm, they appear to respond to alot of sun.

• Upvote 1

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Nice palms Jeff, incredible markings.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Unfortunately when it comes to Dypsis Tassie's well out of its range for any significant growth . Just too cool for too long - The only one i have is a tiny Baronii that is supposed to be more tolerant of cool conditions . They survive our winter minimums fine but just din't grow.

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Unfortunately when it comes to Dypsis Tassie's well out of its range for any significant growth . Just too cool for too long - The only one i have is a tiny Baronii that is supposed to be more tolerant of cool conditions . They survive our winter minimums fine but just din't grow.

• Upvote 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Jeff, you've got an awesome climate there to be growing those palms so well, and the lipstick well....... :wub:

Troy, D decipiens and D ambositrae should do very well for you, as well as onilahensis. None of them need real heat (30C plus) to do well. I actually think high 30's C can be detrimental to D ambositrae in fullsun. Those 3 would be happy with temps in the mid 20's or less.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Peter, Plant your hybrid, it will do great.

Hi Derek, I just planted the decaryi x leptocheilos hybrid and covered it with some coconut palm fronds for some shade. It went from the screened shade house to full sun...I'll keep an eye on it. Sorry to say I lost my foxy lady. Best to you and Justin for the new year. Peter

• Upvote 1

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

• 3 years later...

Dypsis bump! 3 years later and 30000000 new dypsis out out there now. Any new favorites? Bill it's a good time to update your photo.

• Upvote 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Well, my preferences havn't changed since I posted the photo in Post #6 just over 3.5 years ago. There'll be lots of Dypsis in my new garden, and my favorites are still all the "big ones" and I have already planted a number of them. They're just not very big yet. A little grove of D. decipiens is already in the ground, and a bunch of D. sp. bejofa are in 2G pots and will form another "bejofa grove" when the time comes. Here are two D. prestoniana and two photos taken from the exact same spot. The first one on Jan. 3rd, 2011 when both were planted, and the second photo taken a few moments ago, 2.5 years later, showing the progress. Interestingly, the scrawny one on the left is catching up big time with the one on the right.

post-22-0-88084600-1371524392_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-37604400-1371524400_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

My preference has changed since 2009/10 to Dypsis pembana. I cannot speak highly enough of this palm, I could go on top of Mount Everest and I still could'nt speak highly enough.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

sp white, whatever that is, the pictures look fabulous. Or decipience.

Cerdic

Non omnis moriar (Horace)

Hi guys.

Since mine are all in gallon and 5 gallon sizes...I really cant say much re aesthetics and experience of actually growing them.

My fastest growers are the pembanas, carlsmithii and robusta.

The decipiens is not too far behind either.

Robust growers for me in SoCal.

Happy Grrrrrowing.

Well Steve... its a poor pic taken this afternoon.. but you can see its grown a little :D

post-27-0-23588100-1371792589_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Well Steve... its a poor pic taken this afternoon.. but you can see its grown a little :D

attachicon.gifmejune2013 003.JPG

post-27-0-23588100-1371792589_thumb.jpg Its a Chunky beast Bill, Id be a proud grower like you deserve to be, and are of your Imprestoniana :) Pete

I think you need a wider lens now! That things on the move!

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

tough question d. mirabilis and mad fox and d lancceolota d pembana and d saint lucei and and and so many dypsis and not enough time love them all :yay:

• Upvote 1

Oh yeah... that other trunking thing to the right of the pic is the single trunked slick willy/bef

what happened.. maybe that's how I feel next to my Dypsis' ? :D

Thanks for the update Bill, that must be my favourite palm on Palmtalk, very much enjoy charting its progress, a real eye-opener to to what's possible. BTW , how did those lepidotas that you planted cope with your winter?

cheers

Rich

Both are puttering along ok.. looking ok, but both had canopy of sorts.. one was a "weed" canopy :D and the other a non trunking belmoreana

• 3 years later...

Don't blame me for me for this update.. some nice soul gave a rep click and it popped in my feed. BUT I did snap these a little bit ago. This Monster is just outrageous. I measured 14" across at soil line.

20170529_172821.thumb.jpg.9b9b783104b966

20170529_172905.thumb.jpg.2b1eb2de9394a5

• Upvote 5

IDK how this thread escaped me for so long. LOL.   I really cant pick just one.  I know many dont care for the good old fashioned classic D. Lutescens, but I have always loved it.   It would be one of the top 3 id have. (well I do have a small single trunked one in a pot)   The other two would be D. Deceipens, and D. Onilehensis.   Love both of those!    Who knows,  When I moved to Florida in a couple months (or less now) I may find others that I like just as much.  Man that is going to be fun!  

• 1 year later...
On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2017‎ ‎4‎:‎30‎:‎44‎, BS Man about Palms said:

Don't blame me for me for this update.. some nice soul gave a rep click and it popped in my feed. BUT I did snap these a little bit ago. This Monster is just outrageous. I measured 14" across at soil line.

20170529_172821.thumb.jpg.9b9b783104b966

20170529_172905.thumb.jpg.2b1eb2de9394a5

:D  Big Fatty

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Just cause I have one in the ground from seed thanks to DD: Dypsis Plumosa

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)