IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What's your fav Dypsis?

Gileno Machado

I'm very impressed with my Dypsis fibrosa young plants, and they look nicer everyday.

I've seen pictures of this species when mature but they seem to lose their charm once the fronds go fully pinnate...

For the moment, I guess it's the most appealling Dypsis I'm growing here, with lovely entire leaves emerging with a pinkish hue...

Please show your favourite Dypsis too...

post-157-1260298302_thumb.jpg

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Leaf details:

post-157-1260298384_thumb.jpg

post-157-1260298453_thumb.jpg

Gileno,nice collors on your D.fibrosa!

My fav is the only one that doesn´t burn with a light freeze: D.decipiens. It´s a shame it is so slow!

I have hope for my true D.ambositrae!

Edited by Alberto

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Right now? Dypsis leptocheilos. The three I picked up 2 years ago all look great, crank out 4+leaves a year, and are starting to trunk. They've seen 30F on a few occasions, and have had no damage.

My other Dypsis need to get some serious size before I can compare them, but that will take years.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Currently in the lead for me, courtesy Peter and his camera.

post-27-1260340814_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Very nice, Bill! I have to stick with my old and tried sp. bejofas! :)

post-22-1260342207_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Basically iam not that fan of this variety but always their are few exceptions ! :mrlooney:

triangle palm_'dypsis decaryi' is very intreasting for me.And one big specimen is now rotting slowely in our garden.

love,

kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Very hard to answer, but Dypsis prestoniana has a slight lead over several others I'm growing.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Dypsis onilahensis, the weeping form. :) Fine color, delicate foliage, elegant form. But I also like the big, beefy Dypsis a lot, Bo's sp. bejofa being a perfect example.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

They're all dreamy :wub: . Well, except for that ugly sucker Dypsis 'fine leaf' :sick: .

Relax, I was kidding.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Only one as a favourite. That's impossible. It's like asking which one of your kids is your favourite. It just seems wrong. I love the entire genus. They're all great.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Bo-

I'd like to be standing amongst your Dypsis forest as well. :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Dypsis onilahensis, the weeping form. :) Fine color, delicate foliage, elegant form. But I also like the big, beefy Dypsis a lot, Bo's sp. bejofa being a perfect example.

Mine too! But I can only grow onilahensis....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

I have always loved D. lanceolata and, now, thanks to PalmatierMeg, D. manambato is sweet with its reddish new leaves! Kris is right...you can't beat D. decaryi. I have a D. decaryi x leptocheilos that is beautiful in the shade house but I'm afraid to put it into the ground. We have pretty sandy soil and I don't want it to suffer. Peter

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

For me, the classic D. Lutescens. Nothing more graceful.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

I have always loved D. lanceolata and, now, thanks to PalmatierMeg, D. manambato is sweet with its reddish new leaves! Kris is right...you can't beat D. decaryi. I have a D. decaryi x leptocheilos that is beautiful in the shade house but I'm afraid to put it into the ground. We have pretty sandy soil and I don't want it to suffer. Peter

I don't think it will suffer, Peter. D. decary is tough as long as it gets plenty of sunshine and well drained soil. Sand will be better than clay....

My favourite at the moment has to be D. crinita, because it just put out red new growth. Mine is still in a pot, as I have to find a shady spot to plant it this wet season... and shady spot is at premium at my place...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Just changed my mind today folks...now my favourite is Dypsis pembana:

post-157-1260484030_thumb.jpg

Plant them in the ground, Gileno... They are much faster planted...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I don't think it will suffer, Peter. D. decary is tough as long as it gets plenty of sunshine and well drained soil. Sand will be better than clay....

My favourite at the moment has to be D. crinita, because it just put out red new growth. Mine is still in a pot, as I have to find a shady spot to plant it this wet season... and shady spot is at premium at my place...

D crinita grows fine in the shade here, which is surprising for a palm that comes from the humid lowland tropics of NE Madagascar. Normally tropical shade growing species go backwards in winter in shade for me. Not this one, it keeps chugging along often opening new leaves in winter.

Also the triangle redneck cross will love sand with some organics added. I'd plant it.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

changed my mind already, going back to carlsmithii. Ask me again tomorrow.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I'm going with Dypsis mananjarensis. It has such unique and pretty markings all over the petioles. It's going to be real hard for another species to come along and rival for attention that this gets.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Overall, not the prettiest Dypsis, but right now I'm into this psammophila because it's starting to branch, (my others are clumpers.) I like the interesting colors of the stem and petioles, too, plus the fact that it sustained only minor damage from last winter's multiple 27-degree nights (under canopy.)

post-727-1260497977_thumb.jpg

Catherine Presley

Old Miakka

& Phillippi Creek

Sarasota

I'm going with Dypsis mananjarensis. It has such unique and pretty markings all over the petioles. It's going to be real hard for another species to come along and rival for attention that this gets.

Jeff

Good choice Jeff, mine is as fat as my forearm now, how is yours doing?

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Jeff

Good choice Jeff, mine is as fat as my forearm now, how is yours doing?

Garys forearm is skinny..... but its not a skeleton either... :P

NOT FAIR!!! There are too many to choose from...

For big Dypsis, Bo's sp. Bejofas made a lasting impression on me.

For medium sized, I'm gonna go with Dypsis sp. Hawaiian Punch. It has a lot of cool characteristics

And for smaller Dypsis' I am currently lovin juvenile Dypsis lantzeana

For absolute favourites of this genus,i would go with Dypsis lasteliana,Dypsis sp. "Dark Mealybug",Dypsis pillulifera,Dypsis nauseosa(the true one pictured on Rare Palm Seeds website) and Dypsis makirae.My most most most absolutely favourite of all are the 2 first :drool: But generally speaking,i am not a Dypsis fan although i have ended having quite a few for a non-Dypsis fan species of Dypsis :lol:

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Clearly this Dypsis decipens ranks up there at the top

Jeffry Brusseau

"Cuesta Linda"

Vista, California

Clearly this Dypsis decipens ranks up there at the top

At first I thought you forgot the picture....

then I looked closer at your avatar.

Nice selection, Jeff. :D

Peter, where was that triple taken? That has to be the largest multi-trunk DD I have seen in SoCal.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin