IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Butia capitata x Parajubaea cocoides

Alberto

Ok besides the fact that those hybrids are fabulous.... I'm still in awe of being able to dig such a hole! I dig down 1 foot and hit ROCK! Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Ok besides the fact that those hybrids are fabulous.... I'm still in awe of being able to dig such a hole! I dig down 1 foot and hit ROCK! Jv

Don't complain JV. I dig down a foot, and the bottom 6 inches fills up with water.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Wow you have water??? :) Guess we all have our crosses to bare, except Alberto of course. Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Wow you have water??? :) Guess we all have our crosses to bare, except Alberto of course. Jv

I also have some places at my property with very shallow soil and I hit on sadstone rock digging one or two feet :rage:

but at the places with red soil (vulcanic origin) you can dig 5 meters and you will not find any rock! :winkie:

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Nice work Alberto, with the large size of that root ball you dug, your B X P will probably not even skip a beat. I agree with Dick, your soil looks like it's very rich,

That grey/blue Butia x Jubea is also a beauty, can you get a closer picture of it? I have one palm that was supposed to be B X P that is very blue and Dick felt it was not, due to the color. Well he was right, as it started producing healthy armament in the last six months. It has been a very fast grower, so I am hoping it might be B X J. Coming from his yard, the possibilities are high. I guess only time will tell.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Matt,

I remember you posting a picture of the palm that turned out not to be a hybrid. How about an updated picture? As I recall it was compact and stubby. It could very well be a B. paraguayensis. My B. paraguayensis has a very heavy texture and the blades on the fronds are stiff, almost like cardboard.

Dick

Richard Douglas

..........That grey/blue Butia x Jubea is also a beauty, can you get a closer picture of it? .........Matt

I´m at the beach at this moment ,so cannot get a pic of it. When I´m home I´ll show a close up. The seeds came from Dick´s BxJ. :winkie:

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

Thank you Alberto, look forward to them.

Here is a pic taken today of the palm in question. I tried to get a closeup to show some detail. You can't see it in the pic, but it is starting to sport some serious armament on the newest fronds. I've allready began root pruning this palm so I can plant the B X J in this spot like I originally wanted.

post-1261-1263250879_thumb.jpg

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

I decided to transplant it!(First pic) and second pic its final place....

Alberto, thanks for posting the pictures of the move. That is a larger palm than it looked before. You dug plenty of root so I bet it takes off growing quickly again. And the place you moved it from still looks good!

Matt,

Your palm in question could only be Butia capitata, yatay, or Paraguayensis. As you know it's hard to identify a small Butia, so it's anyones guess as to what it is. Whatever it is, it has a nice blue/green color and should make a nice looking palm.

I was marking the growth rate of the newest emerging spear of a Parajubaea TVT and my Butia X Para, but I quit marking about a month ago when the nights got cold and I was getting some light frost, then two night to night hard freezes. Dec. and early Jan have been quite chilly here. Yesterday I checked the growth and was quite surprised that both had grown about 6 inches during the cold period.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Wow six inches of growth during this period!! Amazing! MY BxP continues to grow but nothing like that.... yet I am surprised it's growing at all with the two hard freeze events we've had. Jv

Wow six inches of growth during this period!! Amazing! MY BxP continues to grow but nothing like that.... yet I am surprised it's growing at all with the two hard freeze events we've had. Jv

Jv and Dick

What are hard freezes for you? What were your lows and highs in those two days?

Here at my place in Switzerland the temperatures haven't been above freezing for eight or nine days know! The good thing is, it also didn't go below -5°C (23°F), but still the ground stays frozen. I'm looking forward, next week is forecast to be a few degrees warmer.

The most of my palms are protected, since they are not that big yet.

I wonder how a large butia capitata would take it?

Marcel

• 1 month later...

Update. Photo of my transplanted BxP. I think it even grew somewhat last 2 months.....:mrlooney::rolleyes:

post-465-12674855544599_thumb.jpg

..........That grey/blue Butia x Jubea is also a beauty, can you get a closer picture of it? .........Matt

I´m at the beach at this moment ,so cannot get a pic of it. When I´m home I´ll show a close up. The seeds came from Dick´s BxJ. :winkie:

I see I made a promess.Tomorrow I´ll make a photo....

Marcel, sorry for the delayed response but hadn't seen your question. We hit 16F with heavy frost this year and that day's high was 35F. We've had a hard winter by our standards here in central Texas and the BxP has done just fine with no damage. All of my other hybrids (BxS, BxJ, JBxJ, BJxB) had also done well.

Alberto, thanks for the updated picture, looks like the transplant went well and the palm is happy!

Jv

• Upvote 1

Thank you Jv for your delayed answer. :)

The lows at my place are not that much colder, rarely below 14°F, but we have prolonged freezes up to two weeks that kills every palm without protection except the windmill palm. The only advantage I can give them is a good micro climate.

Marcel

I´m at the beach at this moment ,so cannot take a pic of it. When I´m home I´ll show a close up. The seeds came from Dick´s BxJ. :winkie:

Here it is:

post-465-12675415440705_thumb.jpg

What a beauty Alberto, thank you. Is it armed?

Matt in Temecula, CA

What a beauty Alberto, thank you. Is it armed?

Yes this silver one shows spines. The less spiny is the green slow growing one.

If you click on the photo with the + sign you can easily see the spines.

• 4 months later...

Seven months of growth!:hmm:

Like Dick Douglas said before: This is my fastest palm! (Compare with the first pic...(The palm on the left was transplanted)

post-465-12782777944828_thumb.jpg

Lidia also want to appear on the photo ...so both for scale again.:)

post-465-12782781760989_thumb.jpg

Alberto, great growth on that hybrid!!! What a beauty, I am truly hoping mine turns out to be just like yours. Jv

I was just reviewing Alberto's beautiful photos of his Butia X Parajubaeas. I was thinking the photos don't translate very well from what the palm really looks like. They look like another type of Butia from photos, but you have to see the palms in the flesh to really appreciate their unusual characteristics and beauty. With warm weather I started measuring the growth rate of the new sphers. Mine has about 3 fronds emerging at once with different stages of growth, and the youngest sphere is growing about 1.5" per 24 hr period. The base of the trunk is 22 inches in diameter.

I have 8 different Cocoid hybrids planted in the ground and the B X P grows about twice as fast as the others. I recently planted an "experimental" Syagrus X Para TVT. and it seems to be growing at a fast rate. It only has strap fronds now, but the next frond should be pinnate and maybe show some characteristics of what the adult palm will look like. I don't expect the palm will be very cold hardy, but it should be at least as hardy as a Syagrus.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Good update Dick... hopefully you'll get someone to come by and photograph each of these hybrids and then post those pics here. Jv

• 1 year later...

Can you believe this growth was in 2 years and 10 months since first pic in this thread?:hmm:

I let only 3 BxP at this place.The pure Butia and other 3 BxP where transplanted to other places and are growing fine.

Can you believe this growth was in 2 years and 10 months since first pic and 13 months since pics in posts 60 and 61 in this thread?:hmm:

I let only 3 BxP at this place.The pure Butia and other 3 BxP where transplanted to other places and are growing fine.

post-465-001281200 1312924739_thumb.jpg

post-465-009317300 1312924876_thumb.jpg

Alberto, they are BEAUTIFUL!

Well done!

Adam

upmelbavatar.jpg

Melbourne, Australia.

Temps range from -1C to 46C. Strange Climate.

Every time I see this cross it has me drooling at the mouth. I am curious to know Are yours from the same batch as Dick has planted? Or did you get it at a later date? As his seems to be the monster of all of them. When did you plant yours?

Every time I see this cross it has me drooling at the mouth. I am curious to know Are yours from the same batch as Dick has planted? Or did you get it at a later date? As his seems to be the monster of all of them. When did you plant yours?

I don´t know exactly if mine are from the same batch.

I received the seeds from Patric on Mar 4, 2005.

Germinated after few months to one year later.... So my BxP are now +- 6 years old.

It took + 3 years to achieve the size shown on first pic. After that they grew like a rocket!

Germinated after few months to one year later.... So my BxP are now +- 6 years old.

It took + 3 years to achieve the size shown on first pic. After that they grew like a rocket!

Maybe Dick can chime in. I believe his may have been planted a couple years before 2005. I think maybe 2002 I could be wrong though.

Maybe Dick can chime in. I believe his may have been planted a couple years before 2005. I think maybe 2002 I could be wrong though.

And regardless it is some amazing growth on everyones Butia X Parajubaea

I have two that are slower growing and that are also somewhat blue/gray.

Mark and I had around 400 seeds from the Butia X parajubaea this summer. I believe Dick had said germination rates are not great. I will be happy if I can get one of these guys growing in my yard. I am really looking forward to what may become of Patrick introducing new pollen to Dicks tree to see what it can do.

My Butia X Parajubaea was planted in the summer of 2006, and if I recall correctly, it was germinated in 2001, so mine must be from an older batch than Alberto's. However, Alberto's look exactly like mine. Some of the subsequent batches look more Butia like than mine.

Alberto, I'm curious. Why did you move 3 of yours, and did they go to another climate zone or to another location on your property? I can understand if it was done because of spaceing, because they get huge. Mine has a crown spread of over 20 feet. I gave a progress report on pollenating in the other B X P thread. Mine continues to grow like a rocket, and the base of the trunk is about 3 feet in diameter.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Alberto, I'm curious. Why did you move 3 of yours, and did they go to another climate zone or to another location on your property? I can understand if it was done because of spaceing, because they get huge. Mine has a crown spread of over 20 feet. I gave a progress report on pollenating in the other B X P thread. Mine continues to grow like a rocket, and the base of the trunk is about 3 feet in diameter.

Dick

I moved three of them to other places on my property. Two were from the ´´grayer ,slower variety´´.

Did Patric cross only B.odorata (capitata) with Parajubaea or did he used your B.paraguayensis also?

Alberto,

Patrick crossed B. Paraguayensis with P. tora tora and with P. cocoides. They are small now with only 3 or 4 strap fronds. All attempts of crossing B yata with the Parajubaeas have failed.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Alberto,

Patrick crossed B. Paraguayensis with P. tora tora and with P. cocoides. They are small now with only 3 or 4 strap fronds. All attempts of crossing B yata with the Parajubaeas have failed.

Dick

Dick, I remember Patric telling me the BxP I had in the UK were from B paraguayensis.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

Hi Nigel,

I didn't realize Patrick crossed with B. Paraguayensis that far back. I can't keep up with his "experiments," as he's always trying something new.

Dick

Richard Douglas