IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Garden Tour of our Yard

Jeff Searle

Dypsis onilahensis. This is seeding now for me.

post-23-1164851249_thumb.jpg

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

A pathway going around the corner of the house. The palm on the right is Syagrus picrophylla.

post-23-1164851349_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

A look at our pool and patio area. Behind the small table, is a Dwarf Areca catechu.The large palm on the left is Beccariophoenix madagascariensis. The large up-right palm on the right is a Dypsis cabadae. The fan leaf palm off to the right and in the back is Livistona chinensis and finally, a curved trunk Ptychosperma elegans is leaning out over the pool.

post-23-1164851548_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I'm comin' for the POOL party!!!! :cool:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(BS, Man about Palms @ Nov. 29 2006,23:18)

Bill,

You are certainly welcome to visit and stay with us. The one question that I have is, will you be bringing one of the ranch hands with you? If so, I'd like to see a "pic. of the choice". :)

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Amazing work for the time you have been there, a great selection of palms and other plants.

What was the soil there when you started? Did you amend it before you started planting?

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

(Jeff Searle @ Nov. 30 2006,06:01)

(BS @ Man about Palms,Nov. 29 2006,23:18)

Bill,

You are certainly welcome to visit and stay with us. The one question that I have is, will you be bringing one of the ranch hands with you? If so, I'd like to see a "pic. of the choice". :)

Jeff

I'll have to see whos in the labor POOL....  :o

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Jeff your yard is absolutely stunning....... I can't wait to come and visit the nursery.....  I love the groupings and placement of everything in addition to alot of the rare stuff you have.. I especially like that Copernicia macroglossa. That is very interesting, also the agaves and century plant.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Very impressive for such a young yard.  I suspect Georgia Tasker would encourage a few hammock trees.

Looks like my little Copernicia berteroana will look good in the yard, even though it's not nearly as charismatic as C. baileyana, which is just too large.  I've still got to see if Satakentia liukuensis is worth trying this far north.  Meanwhile, I added a little needle palm to the back yard this week.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Wow Jeff! Everything looks so nice and well kept. You truly are the master of your jungle and I too will be at the next pool party  :o

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

You have a very nice backyard Jeff.

I hope to have one like yours someday.

---

Adolfo, Costa Rica :cool:

Adolfo García C.,

Interested in collecting Geonoma palms!

Alajuela, Costa Rica.

Wow Jeff! This is the first time I am having a look at this thread and am totally impressed! Nice work and mix of stuff in such a short time. You have an incredible botanical garden! No doubt lots of hard work and a show of your passion for the rarer palms and cycads. Lots of palm nursery people don't spend the time, and money, to have what you have got in their yards.

That's the largest Syagrus picrophylla I have seen in anybodys garden. Have any botryphoras growing?

Nice Carpoxylons and Satakentias as well! Massive bizzies too.

Definitely have to stop by when I am back in FL visiting family next year.

You are an insperation to us all.

Thanks for posting and keep the pictures coming!

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"

Jeff,

Impressive might i add!   Did you plant the XButiagrus that i gave you?  Would love to see what size it is by now!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Thanks for posting such great photos of your impressive yard Jeff.

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

(Joe palma @ Nov. 30 2006,15:37)

Wow Jeff! This is the first time I am having a look at this thread and am totally impressed! Nice work and mix of stuff in such a short time. You have an incredible botanical garden! No doubt lots of hard work and a show of your passion for the rarer palms and cycads. Lots of palm nursery people don't spend the time, and money, to have what you have got in their yards.

That's the largest Syagrus picrophylla I have seen in anybodys garden. Have any botryphoras growing?

Nice Carpoxylons and Satakentias as well! Massive bizzies too.

Definitely have to stop by when I am back in FL visiting family next year.

You are an insperation to us all.

Thanks for posting and keep the pictures coming!

Joe,

You are welcome to come by anytime. For that matter, anyone that ever comes down this way, please drop me a line, I'm always showing people around the nursery.

As far as Syagrus boty. I do have 3 small ones planted(7') in a group.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(Jeff Searle @ Nov. 29 2006,20:47)

Dypsis onilahensis. This is seeding now for me.

Oh.

My.

Word!

[[colllapses on floor]]  THUD!

What a sight - incredibly beautiful!  It's gorgeous, Jeff, as is the rest of your gardens, looks like paradise.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Another angle looking at a Beccariophoenix madagascariensis with croton "Pops Yard" in front.

post-23-1165022083_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Dypsis cabadae approx. 15' tall and now starting to seed. These were about 8' when planted. They were grown in our field and transplanted over to the yard.

post-23-1165022321_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Chambeyronia macrocarpa.

post-23-1165022445_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

A Livistona chinensis with a group of Foxtail-Veithchia ( Foxy Ladies) off to the left.

post-23-1165022744_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Looking through the Dypsis cabadae is a bent trunk Ptychosperma elegans. Behind that is the Foxtail-Veitchias.

post-23-1165022985_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Looking into a pathway of Ptychosperma lauterbachii. Notice the leaning trunks that were caused from Hurricane Wilma last year. I have decided to leave them for interest.

post-23-1165023246_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff, you certainly are the Grand Master of palm trees I must say.  You could open the place up as a botanical garden and make money.  

The wife and I are trying to make plans to come down there within the next couple of months to take pictures with our brand new digital camera so I'll try to detour and wave hello as I drive by the nursury.

Jacksonville, FL

Zone 9a

First Officer

Air Wisconsin Airlines (USairways Express)

Canadair Regional Jet

Base: ORF

Jeff- VERY cool......in another 5 years, I see a jungle.....AWESOME!

A small Dictyosperma aureum var. conjugatum. A short growing palm with the leaflet tips held together with persistent reins.

post-23-1165167521_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

A group of Kentiopsis oliviformis. These were field grown and brought over as large palms. One has started to flower now.

Just for kicks, here in South Florida I sell these out the field,balled and burlap for $75 per foot over-all. Thats my wholesale price.

post-23-1165168146_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

This is not a great picture, but this is what I believe to be Dypsis pilulifera. Off to the left is a clump of Chamaedorea brachypoda.

post-23-1165168507_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

A large Chamaedorea cataractarum. It produces lots of seed. This is planted in front of our Turtle pen. We have a  African spurtheigh( I'm sure this is spelled wrong, sorry ??? ) 2 Redfoots, and 2 Hindgebacks. The turtle thing is Andrea's" thing".

post-23-1165168817_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

A double Clinostigma harlandii with a couple of small Arenga westerhoutii to the right.  Notice our turtle bench?

post-23-1165169003_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

A clump of Bambusa vulgaris Vattata.The cycad in the lower corner is Zamia fairchildiana.

post-23-1165169470_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff your palace is superb! Maybe some day I drop by?... Can you tell me what makes a dypsis cabadae a cabadae? What recognisable signs on it? It looks like one of the 3 forms of the lutescens. And your pilulifera does not look at all like the one I have seen in ranomafana! The leaflets are different.

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Arenga undulatifolia. The croton in the lower left is the variety "Tortise Shell".

post-23-1165170017_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(bruno @ Dec. 03 2006,13:15)

Jeff your palace is superb! Maybe some day I drop by?... Can you tell me what makes a dypsis cabadae a cabadae? What recognisable signs on it? It looks like one of the 3 forms of the lutescens. And your pilulifera does not look at all like the one I have seen in ranomafana! The leaflets are different.

Hello Bruno,

If you ever get down this way, you better drop by!

Well,D.lutescens and D. cabadae both have regular leaflets and both are clustering palms. Probably the biggest give-away is that D. lutescens usually always has a yellow coloring in the petiole, rachis and leaf sheath. To me, the trunks are much greener in D. cabadae with some silvery-white on the leaf sheath. And the over-all leaf is straighter, where as the leaf is more recurved on a D. lutescens.

And in regards to my pic. of what "I think" might be Dypsis pilulifera, I still believe there's two different leaf forms. Regular and group leaflets. Just my opinion.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

A varigated Caryota mitis. This came from Floribunda Palms as a seedling.

post-23-1165172177_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Zamia elegantissima, native to Panama.

post-23-1165172525_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

A beautiful Dombeya in full bloom this time of year.

post-23-1165172732_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Group of Licuala grandis with croton variety "Tiffany" on left.

post-23-1165172852_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

A rare Licuala peekelii from New Guinea in seed.

post-23-1165172936_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.