IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What's with the new logo?

John Case

And i see lots of variety of tweaks are in on a perticular image,it looks like a coconut tree at one instance and a phoenix rupicola from a another angle.

And also looks like a mature cycad or a fern tree ? :hmm:

Is it just a symbolic reperesentaion of a palm or is it going to be a real palm in that logo ? :hmm:

And this shows how detailed this illustration really is :

Picture8-3.png

The above palm resembles more a giant fern tree Common in hawaii ? :huh:

BW.png

By the way i did not know you are all going to change the existing IPS logo.I think the old one itself was okay.Though i am person who loves change.But i must say that all the logos generated are not that serious enough.

Looks very ordinary..

And i was initially thinking that this logo is being used in our discussion board,to identify a IPS member..

And our society is mother of all palm societies,since it has the tag as international..but the logo's discussed above is very ordinary.

Love,

kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Just to clarify some symbolism behind the design...

IPSLogoProof2-2.jpg

Earth cause we are an international group, the atmosphere because we are a conservation group, travel because of our biannual meetin tradition and palms because well, i can't really explain that part... :D

One small icon for the Forum, and three larger to see the detail - perhaps T-shirt size.

PalmTalk180-1.png

Blue1280-3.png

Black1280-2.png

HiResLogoRedLetters1280-3.png

Dean, I LOVE this design! I think it is the perfect logo.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

I like Bill's sporty logo, so I put it with the name and acronym. I think it's an improvement on my last version.

t-shirt_white_logo2.jpg

Here it is at avatar size..

..IPS_logo_new_avatar.png

And some more goodies..

....IPS_mug2.jpg

The "Bo-mobile" B)

....fender_sticker_car.jpg

Join today!

post-1155-1260217866_thumb.jpg

One small icon for the Forum, and three larger to see the detail - perhaps T-shirt size.

PalmTalk180-1.png

Blue1280-3.png

Black1280-2.png

HiResLogoRedLetters1280-3.png

Dean, I LOVE this design! I think it is the perfect logo.

I must say, that bottom one is pretty cool looking.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

William requested a simple small business card silhouette as opposed to greyscale. Here's three. A 180px and 160px and 100px

IPS-BusCard.pngIPS-BusCard160.pngIPS-BusCard100.png

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Professional approach is always good. That's why people go to design schools.

Please take a look at this link http://www.logoants.com/shelf-plant-logos.php

there are also a lot more links

like this one http://www.biz-logo.com/pre-designed-plants.shtml

Check google for logos, or plant logos.

Edited by Pivi

island Vis, adriatic sea, Croatia. Zone 9b/10a

Temperature low last winter: -0.9°C/30.4 F

Temperature low this winter: -0.3°C/31.5 F

-Creating my own little palm heaven-

Any number of beautiful palm photographs or botanical lithographs could be implemented here. I like where your going with it. I wish I had better software, I'm doing this all on paint and some antiquated program... Print artist something or other

johnsart.jpg

I can envision the image becoming very detailed and colorful up to the level of detail of Dean's image... for the appropriate application , ie speaker backgrounds etc.. (Dean, I know I'm working backwards but sometimes the creative mind gets flowing and it can't be stopped! keep in mind we are drafting ideas here!) I still think symbolism should play a key role in logo creation. The more I think about it I prefer the "flight path" style palm trunk as it portrays one of our key traditions... (Do excuse the crudity of this I got tired of painting pixels on MS Paint)

IPSLogoProofColor.jpg Can you imagine this thing in colored rhinestones on a chicks sweatshirt!?

I still maintain the beauty of palms should be portrayed in our ad campaigns and products, not the logo in itself... Logo's are for conceptual recognition not primordial attraction. If logos are too pretty they will distract from the beauty of the artwork on the product be it a cup shirt, hat, truck or even a plane or billboard...

Any number of beautiful palm photographs or botanical lithographs could be implemented here. I like where your going with it.

If you just want a beautiful palm print on the back of a t-shirt, the logo should be "stand alone" from the image. Think of a computer desktop background with the OS icon, or a watermark. In that respect, the IPS logo could be used to embellish palm photos..

LoneCoconut800.jpg

Logo's are for conceptual recognition not primordial attraction. If logos are too pretty they will distract from the beauty of the artwork...

My sentiments exactly.

Nice work John. That's the flippin' cover of the next issue of PALMS right thur!!!

I believe that a simple logo is the best way in that as we attract newbies and maintain currents with our beautiful artistic and colorful ad campaigns and plaster the logo all over the mags, websites, paraphenalia, etc.... This helps create a little subliminal cue in the back of the mind that sees that symbol over and over again causing that "feeling of belonging" that was mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread (or maybe some email I read somewhere about this logo issue). It really is a powerful thing we would be creating.

Nice work John. That's the flippin' cover of the next issue of PALMS right thur!!!

I like the idea of the simple logo in that we can attract newbies and plaster the logo all over the mags, websites etc. This helps create a little subliminal cue in the back of the mind that sees that symbol over and over again causing that "feeling of belonging" that was mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread (or maybe some email I read somewhere about this logo issue). It really is a powerful thing we would be creating.

This is why an IPS image gallery is needed. The best photos on PalmTalk should be catalogued, watermarked and made available commercially for a licence fee.

BTW, don't go pinching my coconut photo Bill, tisn't mine! Nor is this.. :lol:

IPS_novelty_plate.jpg

Whudda ya'll think about that?

The tree looks weighed down, and the border is also too heavy, IMO. I prefer yours, because it's perky, and sort of smiley.

I went thru the excersize of resizing the current logo to explore potential difficulties of just keeping what we have... April called it a tick. I think it looks like a green palm mite... greenpalmmite.jpg

I went thru the excersize of resizing the current logo to explore potential difficulties of just keeping what we have... April called it a tick. I think it looks like a green palm mite... greenpalmmite.jpg

I'm not going to comment, I just think we need to be pushing the name. Although there are many IPS acronyms around, and even this forum software is IPS owned (Invision Power Services Inc.), I do think it would be a good idea to get this IPS up the Google rankings. Is it even in the list of meta-tag words for www.palms.org and www.palmtalk.org I wonder?

Dean,

I think that's an outstanding logo! Sorry I didn't have time to comment earlier. Got sidetracked with unrelated computer issues and a few other things this morning. And Bill, that 747 definitely needs more color. MUCH more color. And a few palms...

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bo, The only problem with such a beautiful colorful image for a logo is you get a visual conflict of interest (or competition for attention if you will) when the logo is utilized in an advertising campaign... (I can't get Dean's desgin to be a translucent background with my 9 year old computer here!) The purpose is to get people to fall in love with our beloved palms, not our logo. The logo should just be a subtle something usable in a variety of formats that gets plastered in the back of each subject's mind. This repetitive subtlety can be much more psychologically powerful and of much more value to marketing strategies.

conflictofinterest.jpg

Regarding the novelty number plate, I think the logo design lends itself naturally. It could be mocked up graphically to look like a number plate to use on the forum, and would look appropriate to display under a user's avatar IMO. 4 rivet holes and a bevel edge, and perhaps the user's IPS registration number in small print.

post-1155-1260233607_thumb.jpg

Is there any reason why we can't keep the freshly retooled Flinstone's Palm Island on Palmtalk for member status? I kinda think it's fun for the application... :D

The new IPS logo wooo-uuuld still be on the top of every page... ;)

Maybe the logo with lettering so the logo is small... Don't want to over do it either, than can be bad too!

Bill,

I readily admit I know very little (translation: nothing) about the design of logos, so the more we discuss this, the more I'm convinced I need to seek out a professional.

And, you have a NINE year old computer? Wow! Isn't that like 199 in human years? :lol:

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

IPS-BusCard.pngIPS-BusCard160.pngIPS-BusCard100.png

Whudda ya'll think about that? Rorschach?

William,

I question the need for a small black "silhouette" business card logo in the first place. I think the greyscale is much better, and I don't think it costs anymore to print these days either. It's just monochrome. But I don't really think any board member is going to need 500-1000 professional printer generated business cards in the first place. And any home printer will print monochrome business cards as needed - no problem. But ask Bo how many times he has needed an IPS business card.

So a small monochrome version for your ad campaigns, or "breast pocket" etc. would be better represented as such. (Your example looks "not so good") On a photo it could be greytoned, and a white white shirt as greentoned (as shown above in a previous post).

Photo.jpg

Kona, on The Big Island

My eye still finds the gray-scaled intricacies distracting from the focal point. Maybe I'm just more ADHD than most... :rolleyes: No surprise there, but keeping in mind my lack of concentration at times offers strengths in many arenas.

I will continue to maintain silk screening and raised ink printing (not to mention neon signage! ;) ) will fail with too much detail in a logo... As we defined with John's example shape recognition is key in logo design hence my loaded request for a 1bit B&W silhouette of your palm.

There has got to be a happy medium... I need some ZZZZ's

EDIT: BTW, no one has ever needed an IPS biz card cause theres never been a PRMC! Just cause no one ever has doesn't mean we shouldn't think about doing it. How about fax cover sheets? They'll pretty much always be 1bit B&W, photocopies, etc...?

IPSLogoProof2.jpg

A few "mock-ups" to get a better feel. Remember - these are not quality representations.

post-11-1260247131_thumb.png

post-11-1260247155_thumb.png

post-11-1260247177_thumb.png

post-11-1260247191_thumb.png

Kona, on The Big Island

Those are great tshirt designs! I like the black one... lots of contrast... Needs fert. :D

I've already had many requests for an aloha shirt... Think you can rubber stamp that image all over a button up? ;) Does it come in red? :lol:

IPSLogoProof2.jpg

This is fun to watch, and I think it's going to get better. Keep raising the bar, guys. :)

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

A few "mock-ups" to get a better feel. Remember - these are not quality representations.

I would definitely buy that black t-shirt. Love it!

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

William,

Thanks for catching that. I attached the wrong color profile for web display. I'll do those mock ups again.

Jeff,

I'm having a black one made locally for myself as we speak. It will be ready tomorrow. Until you get these done, no telling how they will look. Things look so much different on the computer than when created in the real world. I am thinking of making these available it anyone is interested. It's easy to do. And under $20 shipped in the US.

Kona, on The Big Island

Big improvement on the cartoon, Dean. I like the green palm with blue sky version. In black it looks like a hairy spider, though... :o

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Here's for William (red)) and Kim (light blue) - two soon to be neighbors. :) As you can see, this design is very flexible.

post-11-1260251972_thumb.png

post-11-1260252009_thumb.png

post-11-1260252148_thumb.png

post-11-1260255008_thumb.png

Kona, on The Big Island

Some points to bear in mind:

1. A logo should be discreet, informative and consistent. An iconographic design, not a dazzling work of art.

2. A logo should fit seamlessly into any number of applications, viewed anywhere in the world.

3. A logo should appeal broadly and 'personal taste' should be of minimal concern with regards to wearing the logo on apparel.

One of my concerns with seeing a logo of a palm tree is that it can easily be taken as a food product logo. I worked for a number of years in a packaging design house in London, so I know how graphic designers and clients interact, and where their ideas come from. A palm tree is an icon that can be called upon to represent everything from tropical drinks to fruit and desserts. Likewise, the tropical aspect fits well with beach & sports wear. By utilizing a palm tree logo, without clearly focusing on the the society's name foremost, it is easily ambiguous in that respect.

More to follow..

I will just say that most of these logos really look "amateurish" (no offends anyone) and not really a big improvement to the old one. They look like the kids play. When i take a look at some logos that professionals make. Simple, very nice and original design. A great logo. Just check these 2 links, and there are many more like this on the net. That's how professionals do it.

http://www.logoants.com/shelf-plant-logos.php

http://www.biz-logo.com/pre-designed-plants.shtml

Edited by Pivi

island Vis, adriatic sea, Croatia. Zone 9b/10a

Temperature low last winter: -0.9°C/30.4 F

Temperature low this winter: -0.3°C/31.5 F

-Creating my own little palm heaven-

Logos aren't supposed to be "beautiful" art. They are supposed to be recognizable big and small, up close and at a distance. That is why Nike, Pepsi. etc. use graphics.

Advertising is a different animal all together, and can include beautiful photos, drawings, animations, etc. - that use and include a recognizable logo as a part of the advertising 'theme.'

Good morning all, I think we lost track of our goals yesterday :)

It should be a simple logo that can be incorporated into advertisements.

If should not be photographic in nature, it should work as 1bit B&W, no shading or greyscales.

It shouldn't have defined colors, as has been noted, too problematic on the printing end.

Is should be sizable from 1"x1" to 10'x10' (note, lettering doesn't even have to be incorporated into the design!, see Swoosh, gold arches, etc.)

Max size, I can't imagine ever printing this thing bigger than a 6'x6' vinyl cutout... but because of this I think our logo needs to be in a vectorable format, .eps, .png, etc...

Yes, it should be silk-screenable (silk screening last much longer than printed coloration on a tshirt. I've done both personally, silk screen last 3 times longer, i.e. better products)

IPSLogoProof2.jpg