IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What's with the new logo?

John Case

A dramatic and colorful change?!

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

I'm wondering too. What's with the cartoon palms?

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Do you prefer the old one???

IPS-8.gif

Or a little less colorful???

LessSatAva.png

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Feedback is good - keep it coming! :)

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

IPS-8.gif

LessSatAva.png

I like the way it currently is the best of the 3.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

IPS-8.gif

LessSatAva.png

Dean, I see what you mean. The flashier colors drew my eye right away. Keep it and don't tone it down. In the toned down version, the "IPS" lettering really fades into the sea/island, which is a problem for people with vision problems. That is also the case (for me) to a lesser extent with the vibrant logo. Does the lettering really have to overlap the drawing? If so, que sera, sera. I get used to most everything after a while. Alo-HA.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Meg,

Like most everything in life, it is a "work in progress." And there is always room for an improvement.

We can make the lettering more distinctive or less (font, size, or color change) - or move it out of the graphic altogether - but then the overall "footprint" becomes larger. We have some ideas still, but feedback always helps to get the creative juices flowing. :) We are thinking shirts, hats, bumper stickers, cups, web use, or whatever. It's difficult to design a graphic that can do everything - big and small.

Kona, on The Big Island

FWIW,

My opinion is that if the IPS is not distinctive, the message is lost......whatever the background is, it needs to be a good contrast to the IPS letters. I also noticed that the letters do not have a black edge around the green block letters, like so many block letters do.....maybe that will make the difference.

Let's keep working on it....I'll be the critic!

John Case

Brentwood CA

I agree with John.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

FWIW,

My opinion is that if the IPS is not distinctive, the message is lost......whatever the background is, it needs to be a good contrast to the IPS letters. I also noticed that the letters do not have a black edge around the green block letters, like so many block letters do.....maybe that will make the difference.

Let's keep working on it....I'll be the critic!

John and Bill,

The letters are bordered. The larger artwork is available here. http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/index.php/IPS_LOGO

The problem is that when you have a small graphic they don't show, and if you make the border bigger, it is too much for the larger graphic. But as you said. We can keep working on it. Some off line feedback I'm getting is it is too cartoon like. So here is a version with simpler colors (to make it closer in looks to the old one), and more border on the lettering. This may be one of those things that art always boils down to - what you may like is not going to be what someone else does.

Final-IPS-160.jpg

Kona, on The Big Island

The letters need more of an outline, otherwise... :greenthumb: :greenthumb: :greenthumb:

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

As you can see - here is one with very wide black borders, and this is what you get when you shrink it. (It's pretty bold when blown up larger) This is about as wide a border as I dare put. I've faded the colors even more.

That's it for now - we'll wait to hear from anyone that cares to help out.

600.png160-2.pngIPS-8.gif

One final tweak (below) - less detail still, and slimmer letters, but with big borders still.

160Last.png

Kona, on The Big Island

It doesn't really matter, but.... kinda reminds me of the Flintstones, just a generic representation of a palm. If a palm society is going to have a logo, one might expect a real identifiable palm or a more artistic take on palms. But logos are tricky, as you demonstrate with the large, then small version of the same design. The simplicity becomes important. Experimentation is good.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

It doesn't really matter, but.... kinda reminds me of the Flintstones, just a generic representation of a palm. If a palm society is going to have a logo, one might expect a real identifiable palm or a more artistic take on palms. But logos are tricky, as you demonstrate with the large, then small version of the same design. The simplicity becomes important. Experimentation is good.

Yes Kim,

That's the problem. Do you want a graphic logo, or do you want an accurate artistic rendition. No matter how you slice it, if you are going for anything less than a single frond designed into a logo, the detail of an entire tree or trees will render any scaling and cross usages impossible. Not to mention the cost of an artist actually creating the artwork. I was told we wanted to try and preserve the theme of an island with a grouping of palms, so that more or less rules out anything except a semi-simple graphic.

A true logo should be usable on a business card, on a T-shirt, and on a larger poster - on the web and in print.

Is the logo to the left (no longer there) better than what we have now (below)?

logo_tag.jpgIPS-8.gif

Kona, on The Big Island

So far, I like post #11's version the best. I like the lime green fronds better than the pastel green on #13. What about a "clumping" palm to one side of the Island and the IPS logo next to it?(on the other side of the island) Just an idea to try.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

So far, I like post #11's version the best. I like the lime green fronds better than the pastel green on #13. What about a "clumping" palm to one side of the Island and the IPS logo next to it?(on the other side of the island) Just an idea to try.

Sorry Bill,

I have no idea what you mean. We have no space to the side of the island. And I don't know what you mean when you say "IPS Logo." But worse, we have no hi-res clumping palm artwork. BTW - If there are any artists out there that would like to contribute, let us know.

Kona, on The Big Island

I like this one:

logo_tag.jpg

I like how it has a representation of the different palms. I also like how it is "edgy". For marketing purposes, it is easily identifiable and unique. It can be easily be used on all marketing vehicles (shirts/mugs/stickers/etc...) to build better brand recognition.

just my 2 cents...

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

I'm only an artist when I set my mind to it. Heres what I was trying to describe, done in about 2 mins. I'm sure it could look better!!! :D

post-27-1260084833_thumb.jpg

Thanks Bill,

Got It. We are appreciating and listening to all suggestions and opinions.

Kona, on The Big Island

My thoughts on the logo. It's an improvement, but as Kim says, the cartoon aspect is not for everyone. It works well as a forum logo; fun, warm, friendly etc., but is it a good logo to carry the name of the IPS worldwide? I don't think so, IMO. My reasons:

1. An island is not representative of an international society, no matter how unique we are.

2. A Coconut palm on an island is the stereotypical image of a palm tree, and to the layman, it is the only palm in existence.

3. As a shirt emblem, the acronym, IPS means very little, and with the accompanying image of palm trees on a desert island, it really could mean anything.

In other words, the logo works for us, but if you don't know palms, it's a vague representation of "something tropical" - which of course, not all palms are!

John, Thanks for the feedback.

Do you have any suggestions?

Kona, on The Big Island

John, Thanks for the feedback.

Do you have any suggestions?

Dean, I will try and work on a few ideas. Off the top of my head, I think the logo should utilize the society's full name, so as to impact directly to the public, with a graphic that relates less to the layman's understanding of palms and more to people who know palms. As such, the image part of the logo would become more emblematic. Although I don't like the old logo much (the one at the top of the page), it ticks those boxes. There is no confusion over the logo as a whole, whilst the graphic takes a while to explore visually. I just happen to think the shape is ugly! I'm thinking of some of those wonderful line illustrations you see, the anatomical, botanical side of palms, something in close-up. It should aspire to the top-end of palm interests, and remind everyone that learning from a fellow society member is one of the best aspects of becoming a member.

Is the logo to the left better than what we have now (below)?

logo_tag.jpgIPS-8.gif

I like the one on the left...palms sprouting out of the globe

I would remove the silhouettes under the globe though and raise the lettering accordingly closer to the globe

€ 0,02

Charles Wychgel

Algarve/Portugal

Sunset zone 24

I've created a bold, corporate-style version here. The name says it all, so everything else needn't be to instructional.

selection.png

It works equally well on a coloured background..

...............IPS_logo.png

Or with extra white border on a dark background.

.IPS_logo_background.png

Kim,

Exactly the same thing I was thinking. Kinda looks like Fred Flintstone should be lounging in a hammock under the palms. Dean, just keep it simple and do what you want to do. I've been through this exercise before when we were selecting a logo for the N. Calif. society. From 100 different people, you are going to get 100 different opinions. Busy logos don't translate very well when they are reduced.

Dick

Richard Douglas

I agree that the 'Flintstones' version isn't the best we could have as a global logo to be used for marketing, shirts, etc. Of the existing logos presented above I personally favor the feather-and-fan drawing with the reversed 'globe' as it is fairly simple but still invites attention and further examination after a first glance. Has anyone thought of asking Diane Rome Peebles if she would perhaps donate a drawing, or a repurposing of one of her existing drawings, for this purpose? She is the artist responsible for the beautiful palm illustrations available at the Fairchild gift shop (and I suppose at other venues as well). Her style has many of the qualities of a nineteenth-century engraving and I think would lend a real air of class, with broad and long-lasting appeal, to the society's logo. You can google her to see the very detailed and artistic renderings she has created of plants and wildlife. She apparently lives in St. Petersburg and is married to a USF research scientist...perhaps someone in the IPS Florida chapters may know her?

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

I don't like the cartoon look either. I agree that the IPS acronym won't mean much to most people. If "IPS" is used, perhaps "Palms.org" could be added below. For the island design, I like Bill's suggestion of a grouping of palms with the acronym or title to the side. I really like Charles' suggestion about simplifying the older version, but I understand that this one might be too detailed for some uses. I also like the one in John's post with the real palm leaves - what are the drawbacks to that one?

The one that is now on the website by the users name is my favorite so far, but more work should be done I think.

The more complex the logo gets, the less it come across on transfer to t-shirt, etc. Embroidered logos will be very expensive.

I agree with the downside of cartooniness and would like to see more examples.

As to the letters IPS not meaning anything to anyone except members is true and should elicit questions from people who see it. This is a good thing. To generate interest, it is always best to find ways to engage soemone who wants to know more. For example, in my business I describe the property I am selling with generic wording (all true, of course) but never put the purchase price on the flyer......the immediate question is asked, how much, which I defer and ask other more pertinent questions on what the buyer is looking for, location etc....the nI give the price.

I am excited about a change and really support the effort. The new logo will not be perfect. A great example of paralysis by analysis is the NBC lof about 15 years ago or so. NBC used polling, consumer groups, consultants, artists and spent $4,000,000 for their new logo, which lasted only a few years. Since we don't have that kind of money (I think). No matter what is done, there will be someone who does not like it; probably someone who did not participate in the process. We should get as much input as is practicable and make a decision quickly.

Let's avoid 'paralysis by analysis.'

Finally, we need to license it, as the tattoo parlors will steal it! I assume that all members are already tatted with the old logo...... :drool:

John Case

Brentwood CA

I've created a bold, corporate-style version here. The name says it all, so everything else needn't be to instructional.

It works equally well on a coloured background..

Nice one John ...very well balanced design

Charles Wychgel

Algarve/Portugal

Sunset zone 24

John whilst I personally like the image you've created the best so far, shading and multiple colors are too difficult to incorporate into logo design. think simple

I have designed a clear logo that is simple and clean, I'm not in love with the palm tree clip art and haven't found anything that I'm thrilled with purchasable or not, but this one was the best yet! The ring represents the earth as we are an international group and the palm is utilized as it is the focus of our society... Our name is spelled out because newcomers and onlookers aren't going to have any clue what the "IPS" is (I googled "IPS" and we were on page 5; "International Palm Society" and we of course were the top result). The design is black and white so it can be printed with color and negative space cost effectively should the occasion arise. Can anyone find me a better clip art for the palm? again, simple design too many leaflets clutter things an make them un-scalable...

IPSLogoProof1.jpg

Bill, whilst I think about the benefits of a B&W line drawing only, I will go and have a cup of tea.. :P

IPS_mug.jpg

Looks good for a mug

I still believe if we scaled down the icon down to a 2cmx2cm square to fit the upper left corner of letter head or a business card the design would be lost.

Enjoy yer tea! :winkie:

You know what? Maybe its my personality, but whats wrong with a little lean to the cartoony look? Isn't this obsession supposed to be fun?

I do agree a "world" of some type is better than an Island.

(In reality I'm enjoying seeing all this stuff, I just wish I knew my computers programs well enough to do with my idea, what John has with his.)

Bill, I think it works okay as a business card logo. As long as the letters "IPS" remain in the design, it backs up the small text.

IPS_business_card.jpg