IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

ALERT: Possible frost and freezing temps

happ

Wow, Jack and David both hit 37F, that's amazing. The only good news is that I was warmer than you for once @ 43F.

The wind was a major disaster here on the west facing slope. SDG&E crews were out on the road cutting down several pepper trees and eucalyptus that had fallen over and blocked the road. A lot of my trees are completely uprooted and laying over on the ground. All of my potted plants ended up 300 feet away in the canyon. My neighbors place looks like a hurricane hit it. He's got 60 foot tall pine trees completely layed over across his yard. Eucalyptus snapped off at 40 feet like a toothpick. Winds were so strong that I went out on the balcony and got pushed to the edge where I had to grab the handrail to not fall over. This was the windiest I've ever felt in my life. I suspect we got gusts up to 60-70 mph. The house was shaking but luckily didn't fall. It's not gonna be a good winter with all this root damage to all my plants so early on. Crap!

I just hope it dosen't get too cold tonight now that my canopy is laying on the ground.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I'm with Robert as I don't trust my temp. readings. My low shows 28F but I think it's much colder in the open places. It looks like snow here, and everything exposed is glazed with a thick white frost. Alocasias, cannas, etc, all black and wilted. They are having to de-ice the airplanes at San Francisco airport this morning, so that should tell you how cold it is. I didn't even know they had de-iceing equipment at SFO. This is going to be a very, very, damaging freeze in the SF Bay Area, some reports of 19F scattered around in the bay area. The snow on Mt. Diablo never melted yesterday, and it looks like the Swiss Alps. There is ice in my rain buckets.

Please don't anyone mention global warming to me cause it sure as hell isn't here. (or in Houston).

Dick

Richard Douglas

It hit 28F in Santa Clarita. Grass was covered with frost and some palms have brown spots. All empty pots with water collected from previous days were frozen solid!!! Tonight should be much worse. :(

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"

34.5 F last night, at the lowest. Cold, but, so far, not deadly.

Ice in the water in the wheelbarrow left in the rain.

Frost on the roofs of cars and houses.

Hmm. TONIGHT! No.

No!

I suspect will be much worse . . . . Riding in the car was riding in a mobile fridge before it warmed up.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

It was 7F when I woke up. It has warmed up to 12F so far (10am) in Eugene OR. I poured ice on my car this morning on the wind shield, and a whole cup of water made it about 1/3 of the way down before it was frozen solid. I got a bunch of hot water and threw it in the air... It turned into snow... Thats cold! To top it off, there is a nice breeze makng it feel below 0f! Going to class today was tough! High isn't even suppose to crack 30 today... Good thing all my palms are back in the balmy bay area. :)

Edited by Palmy

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

Recorded 39.4F\ 4.1C for coldest reading of the year [Feb 17th was previous coldest: 41F\ 5C]. Review of 7AM temps were mostly in the 30's in all valley areas as well as the LA basin though above 40F\ 4.4C downtown\ LAX. Tonight should be colder though clouds could modify the radiational cooling.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Wow, Jack and David both hit 37F, that's amazing. The only good news is that I was warmer than you for once @ 43F.

The wind was a major disaster here on the west facing slope. SDG&E crews were out on the road cutting down several pepper trees and eucalyptus that had fallen over and blocked the road. A lot of my trees are completely uprooted and laying over on the ground. All of my potted plants ended up 300 feet away in the canyon. My neighbors place looks like a hurricane hit it. He's got 60 foot tall pine trees completely layed over across his yard. Eucalyptus snapped off at 40 feet like a toothpick. Winds were so strong that I went out on the balcony and got pushed to the edge where I had to grab the handrail to not fall over. This was the windiest I've ever felt in my life. I suspect we got gusts up to 60-70 mph. The house was shaking but luckily didn't fall. It's not gonna be a good winter with all this root damage to all my plants so early on. Crap!

I just hope it dosen't get too cold tonight now that my canopy is laying on the ground.

Yikes, that sucks dude! I am REALLY glad that my place is on the east facing side of the hill. I'm sheltered from all of these horrendous winter storms that come in off the ocean. It was basically calm all day/night yesterday at my place. The lack of air movement makes for colder temperatures, but I'll take that over wind any day...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

MattyB, what a wicked storm! Sounds like your area took the full brunt of the winds. We had the wind, but no trees down in the neighborhood, just tons of small debris strewn in the streets, nothing major. I am totally shocked to hear Blonddude got down to 37! I recorded 1 1/2 inches of rain, 42.6F low, lots of blown over bromeliad pots, and a slight hangover.

(just kidding!)

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I think a small tornado went through part of San Diego County down there. The radar did show rotation in a segmeant of the severe line. It was in position to the surface low where the shear was the strongest. A tornado certaintly cannot be ruled out.

--------------------

Kevin Martin - Meteorologist

Southern California Weather Authority

Kevin, where abouts? I wouldn't be surprised if it was in my area, because it sure felt like it.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

It went South of Downtown, eastward to just west of Alpine. I got a photo in this morning but it could be someone pulling my leg.

pr120809a.jpg

--------------------

MattyB, what a wicked storm! Sounds like your area took the full brunt of the winds. We had the wind, but no trees down in the neighborhood, just tons of small debris strewn in the streets, nothing major. I am totally shocked to hear Blonddude got down to 37! I recorded 1 1/2 inches of rain, 42.6F low, lots of blown over bromeliad pots, and a slight hangover.

(just kidding!)

Too much onion soup in the sherry again? :lol:

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Ur telling me, this is the coldest I ever had my frost/freeze/hard freeze warning map to looking like Alaska at SCWXA.org!

Here's a Screenie of what I issued on Sunday for Monday night to Tuesday morning...

wam120809cold.gif

None of the links to warning maps are working on your site. :(

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Such a large area and they are by micro-climate that I just put what each mean on the page for tonight. What temp.

Happ, What would cause it to be colder than last night?

My numbers are showing warmer, at least for my area. Thanks

--------------------

Wet and stormy all day, heckuva drive home, even though I don't even get on the freeway. Clouds unleashed their last fury, then brightened, leaving behind gutters like rivers, cars spraying waves of water unexpectedly, had to go to the alternate grocery, traffic halted for long slow minutes and minutes and more minutes. It's a french onion soup night, with a jolt of sherry, a little stilton on the crackers, while we listen to the wind blow through the palms... No worries about the temps, not getting very cold.

Jason, that is a great photo capture!

Kim, you're a writer !

Give me more please, anything.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Whoah!!! Kevin, that supposed twister pic looks scary. According to the freeway signs the photo was taken on I-8 Eastbound at the San Diego, La Mesa area just near Palmgrover and Pohonkelapa. It's still a few miles away from my place, as the crow flies. But the description you talk about, "South of Downtown, out east to Alpine" describes a line that goes directly through my neighborhood. Man, no wonder.

I'm in Hollywood tonight and it's already in the low 40's. I hope Spring Valley stays warm tonight.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

very low 40's and pretty clear skies here in San Marcos CA as of 10:25 pm.....i just got done setting up the heater in the greenhouse.

Wow! Dec 7th IS a day of infamy! I was warmer in the morn than Jack, Happ and Matty!! Not sure if I'm gonna do Green house protection yet...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Right now dropping below 40F at 11:10pm. 15 greenhouse palms are now in the dining room. I caved.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

I'm sorry guys & gals that this Arctic invasion is hitting y'all. I remember that in 1983 the same thing happened here. Icey, biting winds & sleety,cold rain. Temperatures never got above mid 40'sF. Clear night followed with water still in all palms' crowns. It went down to 27 F. at my house and I lost three twenty-five foot coconuts due to freeze in the crowns, and fungus afterwards. Remember, I'm at 26 degrees North latitude so this was definitely a "big deal." The area looked worse than when Hurricane Wilma damaged the area. Just palms flopping over everywhere! All the ficus trees were defoliated, same with scheffleras, ixoras, mangoes and tropical vines. It took two years for me to replant back then, but it has never been that cold ever since then. I don't think that it has cracked 39 F. in 20 years! Are we "due again?" Probably, but one never knows until a couple of weeks before "the event" so denial of its possibility runs strong until a few nights before the cold comes. I usually just look at everything one last time, or photograph the "before the cold" landscape, and then snap shots about a week after the freeze. It's a numbing experience, certainly. Thank God, though that springtime DOES show itself soon enough, and new Palms' spears DO push upward. Within another two months, it's roasting here. and there are new leaves/fronds everwhere. It's like nature apologising for what happened

These colds events are all so "flukey." The good thing is that landscapes DO REPAIR THEMSELVES pretty readily when June rolls areound, but that's little comfort in Feb. & March when everything looks like Chicago! Hopefully, at least SOME thin clouds will form to keep temperature somewhere in the mid-upper 30'sF.

Paul, The Palm Doctor @ http://www.thewisegardener.com

I moved my pots into the living room and caved, but 5:30 a.m. and I don't think it dropped below 35f around here.... false alarm. Weather.com had it at 26f two days ago....

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

I chickened out as well, the greenhouse is stuffed to the gills with overflow in the garage, but only hit 34.7 so far. Not too bad.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

46F at 6:30AM. Bottomed out at 42F sometime during the night.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

I can't believe it only dropped from 39.9F to 39.0F between 11pm and 6am. But I'll take it. The cloud cover must have moved in around midnight.

Such a large area and they are by micro-climate that I just put what each mean on the page for tonight. What temp.

But, if you don't have the map that corresponds to those meanings, it's essentially useless. :blink:

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Yeah, I started seeing reports that clouds would come in late. That was good. I think I hit 39 or 40 about midnite, then the temps rose. :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Yep... nice that it stayed warm. Guess I moved stuff in for nothing :) I can live with that!

post-33-1260370257_thumb.jpg

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Here in Hollywood it was noticeably colder at 9pm where I could see my breath, then at 12:00 midnight where I couldn't, because some high clouds rolled in.

Back home in Spring Valley the wife said the same thing happened. At 11:00pm it was 43F and actually warmed up from there to a toasty 45F by 6:00am. Not too shabby.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Dave,

It's better to be safe than sorry, and I wish I could say the same as you. Just at dusk yesterday there were some high clouds here and I thought last night would be warmer. WRONG!! It's clear and about a degree colder than yesterday morning. In the open and moist places in my garden, the ground is crunchey from ice crystals. The ground is frozen about 1/2 inch down, and there is ice in my rain buckets. My elephant ears and cannas look like a scene from a horror movie, even in areas with canopy. It's a good thing I brought all my tender Chamaedoreas inside. Out in the open, I expect it is about 25F here this morning.

We have been wanting to cold test some of Patrick's cocoid hybrids. I guess this is a good test.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Dick,

Sorry to hear about your temps.... hope the hybrids pass the test! I'm excited to hear about them from reading the reoprt in the main forum!

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Kevin, you're the man! How did you predict a warmer night esp when the temp dropped so fast earlier in the evening last night? I know dew points were higher than originally predicted & high clouds moved in a bit. It seemed to settle down around 43F from shortly after sunset & then all night. Interestingly, the NWS issued a "freeze warning" for the San Fernando valley due to pressure from independent meteorologists that they were too conservative the night before. They caved to the pressure then had to reverse the forecast to a frost advisory & hardly anywhere had frost. Heights were up but I still thought 30's would be even more widespread than the night before.

Low: 42.4F 5.7C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

The NAM and GFS had colder temperatures. I basically used a formula I was developing on how the freezing level would come into play. It rose to 10,000 feet on the numbers by at least 11pm, kinda of showed we were going to be a bit warmer. Hard to explain though, lol.

Edited by KMartin

--------------------

Here in San Juan Cap it got to about 37 F at lowest. Feeling rather good that I did'nt cave and drag in my prize dypsis plants. On the other hand Wimter is just starting so I may still have to.

Greenhouse stayed in low 50s high 40s F with heater on. All my pinangas are in there and I am starting to have seconds thoughts if they are going to make it full time outside. My house is at the bottom of a hill :blink:

Vince Bury

Zone 10a San Juan Capistrano, CA - 1.25 miles from coast.

http://www.burrycurry.com/index.html

2 sources are forecasting 35F for me tonight. I'm not moving palms back out to the greenhouse until tomorrow - I think they are enjoying being inside. My cat seems to like them also.