IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

ALERT: Possible frost and freezing temps

happ

Most are aware that rain is quite likely next week w/ possible heavy showers in SoCal. The way the jet stream is aimed at California it could also bring very cold temps & frost on clear nights. Looks like the coldest airmass of the year at least for a few days.

Winter begins next week: cold & wet :unsure: followed by warmer & wet later in the week!

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

NWS is forecasting minimums in the 40's for most areas this week but they normally take a very conservative approach. The rain\ clouds will help modify the temps but a clear night could be deadly anywhere in the state this week.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

A freeze warning has been issued for the interior valleys of the San Francisco Bay area for tonight, and much colder temps. for later in the week. They are talking about 24F one night. My only hope is that the clouds will hang around. This is not the way I wanted to start winter, and I expect there will be snow in the Bay Area. I'm sure Mt. Diablo will be covered with the low temps. and lots of moisture headed this way. I have had frost in the morning for the past week and there has been no fronts through here. It's just damn cold!

Dick

Richard Douglas

Dick

This airmass is retrograding from Montana west into California. That does not happen very often but is a sure signal of cold air. The storm moves out into the Pacific but the cold air is in place when the system moves ashore tomorrow. The Bay Area appears to be on the northern edge of the rain so temps will be even colder w/ less rainfall than SoCal. NWS is forecasting minimums well into the 20's for inland valleys surrounding the Bay and even the 30's for San Francisco.

Tuesday into Wednesday morning looks like the coldest air for SoCal & freezing temps for several hours certainly can not be ruled out particularly if there's calm wind & clear skies. This is when yellowing begins on tender palms :o

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

looks like weather.com has my Tues pm/Wed am low down to 29f..... starting to get a little worried ....

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Won't be just this folks. Gotta understand what type of dynamics we are dealing with, rare.

Damaging winds on the front at the coast and inland are very likely!

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENT

SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA WEATHER AUTHORITY

DEC 6, 2009 3:50p

LOS ANGELES, ORANGE, SAN DIEGO COUNTY ... INLAND EMPIRE ... SAN BERNARDINO, RIVERSIDE, SAN DIEGO COUNTY MOUNTAINS ... OFFSHORE ISLANDS ...

THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA WEATHER AUTHORITY HAS ISSUED A SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENT ...

AS THE UJEAS STATED AT THE BEGINNING OF THE MONTH, THE EVENT PATTERN IS ONCE OR TWICE IN 100 YEARS WHERE WE GET A DAMAGING SQUALL-LINE OVER A LARGE AREA OF THE FORECAST AREA JUST LIKE EAST OF THE ROCKIES.

THIS IS NOT AN AVERAGE RAIN AND SNOW STORM EITHER. I PUT THE CATEGORY FIVE REQUIREMENTS REALLY HIGH LAST YEAR. THIS STORM FITS ALL MAJOR INGREDIENTS FOR A CATEGORY FIVE SYSTEM, THE STRONGEST ON THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA WEATHER AUTHORITY SCALE.

OTHER OUTLETS ARE NOT WORDING THE EVENT AS THEY SHOULD. I WILL GO AHEAD AND SAY THAT IF YOU ARE IN THE LOS ANGELES, ORANGE COUNTY, SAN DIEGO COUNTY AND INLAND EMPIRE ZONES YOU SHOULD PREPARE FOR NOT ONLY WIND, BUT SEVERE WEATHER IN TERMS OF DAMAGING WINDS AND YES EVEN AN ISOLATED TORNADO SPUN UP BY THE SHEAR.

SO IF YOU TRUST THE SCWXA OVER THE OTHER OUTLETS LIKE MOST OF YOU THAT VISIT HAVE TOLD ME, HEED THE WARNING AND HEED IT WELL. DO NOT WAIT TO SECURE WIND BLOWN ITEMS IF YOU ARE IN THE AREAS MENTIONED ABOVE. THIS INCLUDES THE ENTIRE BIGHT OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AND AVALON, CATALINA.

DO NOT SAIL ON MONDAY!!

IN ADDITION TO THIS, HURRICANE FORCE WIND GUSTS IN THE LOS ANGELES, SAN BERNARDINO, RIVERSIDE, AND SAN DIEGO COUNTY MOUNTAIN ZONES ARE LIKELY. EVERY MOUNTAIN RANGE EXCLUDING THE SAN DIEGO RANGE WILL HAVE BLIZZARD CONDITIONS AND WATCHES ARE OUT, WHICH WILL BE WARNINGS TONIGHT. THE EVENT IS STILL ON TRACK.

SO FOR THE PEOPLE THAT SAY STORM WATCH 2009 HYPE NEVER GETS THEM, THINK AGAIN. PREPARE NOW AND THE SCWXA CHATROOM WILL BE OPEN STARTING MONDAY MORNING.

SEVERE WATCHES WILL GO OUT ON DECISION TO DO SO MONDAY MORNING OR AFTERNOON.

K. MARTIN

SCWXA - SCWXA.org

Severe Weather Statement (SWST) - A Severe Weather Statement means that reviews are being made for a decision to issue a convective watch and is not an official SCWXA tornado or severe thunderstorm watch saying it will happen. A convective watch is a lightning, severe thunderstorm, or even a tornado watch. The wording will describe the type of watch.

--------------------

Kevin Martin - Meteorologist

Southern California Weather Authority

From doppler radar it looks like you guys are getting hammered in S. Calif. What's going on down there?

I had light rain all night and my low was around 38F. I think I got about 1/2" of rain. Mt. Diablo which is visible from my place is covered with clouds, but I'm sure it's white this morning and so are a lot of other Bay Area hills.

This is one of the worst possible situations for me, as the clouds are clearing out and there is cold air coming in over already cold air. The next two nights are forcast to be in the mid 20's and tonight everything will still be wet. This means the crowns of the palms will be wet and freeze tonight. Ring around the sphere.

Good luck everybody. I'm dreading this.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Hey Dick, winter is here! :blink:

It started raining early this morning but the strongest rainfall should hit San Diego. 9AM temps are in the 40's\ 50's but should not warm up much at all. The rain should keep temps above freezing overnight & tomorrow strong winds will make it feel like Seattle! This will be a very cold week though moderating later as a warmer\ moist airmass replaces the arctic air.

Good luck. Are your palms too tall to protect?

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Hi Happ, winter sure is here.

It's only 41F here at 10 AM, and I can feel the cold air moving in after the rain over night. My refigerator is warmer than outside. A high of only 45F is expected here today, and tonight is going to be a killer freeze.

I'm only concerned about a couple of palms, as most of my palms will take it to the 20's or even teens. I have a Parajubaea T V T with 8 foot fronds and there is no way I can protect it. It is so beautiful now and I was hoping I could get it through one more winter without damage. I'm sure there will be some cosmetic damage. The other is a Jubaeopsis which is smaller and I can throw a sheet over it. I'll throw a sheet over my orange which is loaded with fruit. I have already moved all my tender palms in containers under shelter, and other than that, I will have to take what comes.

Dick

Richard Douglas

It's a dark and stormy day . . . .

Perfect for jogging in a wool suit.

The rain isn't falling that hard, but it's continuous, and I hope it falls a long while, though I'm concerned for anyone near a burn area right now.

I must agree, today is not a day I'd want to go sailing . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

It's 47 F right now, supposed to go no higher than the mid-50s F.

Hope they're not lying about the 40 low . . . . .

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

It's 47 F right now, supposed to go no higher than the mid-50s F.

Hope they're not lying about the 40 low . . . . .

Our expected low tonight is 33F. I hope they're lying- on the low side!

Perry Glenn

SLO Palms

(805) 550-2708

http://www.slopalms.com

Wednesday morning 6-7am should be the SoCal low. I'm seeing 31-33F forecast for Oceanside. Hope the clouds, moisture, and wind stick around keep it above freezing.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

I harvested about 20 pounds of bananas on Friday. Lucky for me they ripened given our coller than normal summer. By this time tomorrow the pseudostems will be mush. The bread I made with them was fabulous....must have been, I only got one slice.....

Moving my envelope pushers to the patio and protect them as best I can.

The Coffea arabicas have been in the house for 3 weeks.

Cannas are done.

All of the ariods are showing freeze collapse.

Bamboos look OK, but the B. vulgaris 'Wamin' will be the first to show problems.

Rooting indoors some Cane Begonias, probably to replace the mother plants that are still in the ground. Rex begonias are inside, as are the tuberous and the climbers. I have more saucers filled with pebbles than Carter has peanuts.

Test of my Beccarios begins!

Hard freeze (25 or 6 to 4) is predicted for tonight and possibly tomorrow night.

Dick,

I still hate winter.

Cordially shivering at toddy time,

John

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

I sit in my eyrie in the Dark Tower and gaze at the leaden sky, and rain rain, don't go away, please stay and soak my clay . . . .

nice steady rain replaced with howling wind that tore the shadecloth off my back patio and breezeway!

soaked to the bone from fixing it.....

Damn those non-UV protected zip ties!

Rain has stopped. Had a strong gush of wind in the past 10 minutes. The weather station about 2 miles away measured it at 22mph. Calm now with the sun peaking through. Clouds are moving fast towards the South. Temperature is at a comfortable 55 degrees.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Low last night was 49. This morning started off calm with light rain wich has been steady all day and with some heavy down pours. Wind picked up around 11:00 and has been very strong since.

Encinitas, CA

Zone 10b

tHE LEADEN SKIES ARE CLEARING, AND THE CLOUDS HURRY TO THE SOUTHEAST . . . . .

TIME TO RACE HOME AND BE PREPARED TO DO SOME MOVING SOME TENDER YOUNG PLANTS INSIDE, AND COVERING OTHERS.

The rain just stopped and the sun peaked out for the first time so I went out on the roof (accessible from my master bedroom balcony) and snapped this picture while I could.

post-3101-1260231411_thumb.jpg

Currently 52 here in Fallbrook at my place. Lots of rain today and some really strong winds. Calming down now though. About to go outside and pick up all my 5 gallon palms in pots that blew over.

All of us Californians are on a ship of fools. My sholder aches from moving last minute palms inside. My Cannas look nice today. I wonder what they will look like this time tomorrow? Never got above 45F here today.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Coldest day of 2009 @ my location: 53F\ 11.6C maximum. Current temp at 7:16PM: 47.6F\ 8.6C. Wind is howling w/ gusts to 25mph. Sky is mostly clear so if it stays windy we will dodge the frost bullet at least tonight. Lowest air pressure I can recall in many yrs: 29.46. Rain: 1.06"

Edited by happ

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Wet and stormy all day, heckuva drive home, even though I don't even get on the freeway. Clouds unleashed their last fury, then brightened, leaving behind gutters like rivers, cars spraying waves of water unexpectedly, had to go to the alternate grocery, traffic halted for long slow minutes and minutes and more minutes. It's a french onion soup night, with a jolt of sherry, a little stilton on the crackers, while we listen to the wind blow through the palms... No worries about the temps, not getting very cold.

Jason, that is a great photo capture!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Stoked up a roaring fire of Ficus logs in the fireplace, sipping Sleepytime tea with honey, damn some rum might be good . . .

Put out my thermomenters, took in the D. ambositra babies I got from Pious Palms, parked a lot of stuff under overhangs, nighty-night . . .

15F near UO in eugene. Wind chills are dipping below 0F. Dewpoints are around 0... Tad chilly up here...

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

Here's the bad news per 9PM:

NWS_LA 12-7-09

OVERNIGHT LOWS TONIGHT WILL BE DOWNRIGHT COLD. BY SUNRISE 950 MB TEMPS INLAND REACH -3C/ 26.6F AND 2-3C\ 35-38F AT THE COASTS. THE WINDS TONIGHT WILL KEEP MOST AREAS FROM DIPPING TOO LOW...BUT IN ANY WIND SHELTERED AREA TEMPS WILL DROP. FROST IS POSSIBLE ANYWHERE EXCEPT THE SANTA BARBARA SOUTH COAST...THE VENTURA AND LOS ANGELES COASTS.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

One of those nights we hate: Clear here and no breeze, stars are bright. At midnight one of my temp. probes reads 30F and the other 36F. I have tested the probes together and they are 1 degree apart. I'm expecting mid 20's by dawn. My Tracheycarpus laugh at this, the Parajubeas probably not so happy.

Dick

Richard Douglas

26 here this morning @ 6:30 am

Too ugly to look, I'm certain.....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Clear, dead calm, and 2.5C (37F) at my place this morning. My previous low for this winter was 8.5C (47F). I think this is the coldest it's been since I moved here 3 years ago...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Ur telling me, this is the coldest I ever had my frost/freeze/hard freeze warning map to looking like Alaska at SCWXA.org!

Here's a Screenie of what I issued on Sunday for Monday night to Tuesday morning...

wam120809cold.gif

--------------------

That map looks cold, but I don't see any numbers.

Only 44F here, but concerned about tomorrow. I haven't seen below 40 this year, or below 35F the year before.

Nearby weather station clocked wind gusts at 35 mph, and s sustained speed of 29F.

Edited by osideterry

looks like I hit 29f last night. I'm now officially worried about tonight. Just turned on the pool heater.....

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

I was wincing here last night everytime I could hear the wind blasts over the TV. :( It blew the door off my greenhouse earlier, got to put on this morning. (if its still out there)

Only 45F or so this morning and still. I am very worried about tonite though, I suspect 35F here.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

That map looks cold, but I don't see any numbers.

Only 44F here, but concerned about tomorrow. I haven't seen below 40 this year, or below 35F the year before.

Nearby weather station clocked wind gusts at 35 mph, and s sustained speed of 29F.

Terry, I hit 38F once a month or so ago, where were you at?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

The blue is around freezing or below, the purple is below, and the light blue is like 34 to 38.

Do you want another update for tonight's map? I'm about to update the watches for cold on the Web site in about an hour.

--------------------

Don't know that I trust my readings, but I had 23.1F at sunrise. It was 26F at midnight. It is still early, but the damage to banana/canna/gingers appears more in the 28F range. 50% reduction in water pressure due to pipe freeze. Tomorrow will be colder. This will be my test of Becarriophoenix alfredii and a very weak Butia x Parajubea. Will see what happens with only overhead canopy. I agree with Dick that this is almost a worse case freeze, rain filling crowns and growth points and any crevices followed by an immediate hard freeze, then followed by more rain. Time to find the daconil and copper fungicide.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

Like Jack, I hit 37° for a bit. Hopefully tonight will not be much worse.

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm