IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Licuala ramsayi

quaman58

Hey all,

Purchased one of these several months ago. For some reason, although it appears to be growing alright, the leaves from the beginning failed to get that nice green color. The newest ones are probably closer to white than green at this point. It was aclimated in filtered sun, then I tryed partial day sun. More water, less water, more fert---you get the picture. Can't get it to green up. Haven't had this problem with L. elegans, so I'm stumped. Any suggestions?

Bret

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

My two L ramsayi have done the same thing in pots although they actually looked OK for a couple years.  I potted them up from 2g pots to 5g pots and then the leaves got whiter and whiter.  I haven't figured it out, but just like yours they grow fine for quite a while with nearly white leaves.  Mine started to really look bad after a year or more of this (leaf tips dying back).  I tried micronutrients, fert etc... with no luck at all.  This was all in a greenhouse nonetheless.

My last ditch effort was to plant one in the ground, and repot the other into new soil but the same size pot.  The one in the ground is definitely greening up on the one leaf it's opened.  It's too early to tell if the potted one is getting better yet or not.

If anyone figures out what causes this I'd love to know.  My only guess is that they might be picky about their potting mix because they grew well in the first mix I had them in which was crappy Home Depot cactus mix that had gotten quite rotten, and then went downhill after I put them in a "good" mix.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

To Bret and Matt,

From what you both are saying, it's hard to come up with a concrete answer. I would first make sure the potting soil is fresh and drains well. Keep the palm in deep shade, not 50% or 60%. More like 70%. This will help on stress. I would then get a liquid fertilizer for the promotion of new root growth. I use something called Poly-start. You most likely are having a problem with the roots. You therefore will have no new growth of new leaves. With a poor root system, all the fertilizer in the world won't help much.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I have four of these and one was in the greenhouse and the others outside. The one in the greenhouse had the problem you are talking about. The others outside are nice and green. They have been through one winter here in San Diego. The one in the greenhouse had almost white fronds. My thoughts are that it was to bright in the greenhouse. I took it out of the greenhouse and it eventually died. I had the same problem with L. elegans. I don't know much about soil conditions so I thought it had to do with too much light. These plants are in five gallon pots and the roots are making their way out. Should I put them in bigger pots. Thanks Mike

Mike Hegger

Northwest Clairemont

San Diego, California

4 miles from coast

Hmmmmm, I've only been growing L. ramsayi for about 4 months.  It's put out 2 leaves in the brightest spot in my greenhouse which is half a day of sun under 40% shade cloth.  It looks really good right now.  I sure hope I don't see any problems like you guys.  Matt, wasn't it you who told me that Jerry Andersen uses dolomite/lime on his Licualas?  Would that help?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

test

Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia

Minimum 3.C -------- maximum 43.C Average Annual Rainfall 1700mm

IPS Membership since 1991

PLANT MORE PALMS TO SOOTH THE SOUL

www.utopiapalmsandcycads.com

Well, I've told this story before. I had a L. ramsayi for about 8 years in the ground in California coastal shade and it struggled the whole time. Barely put on a leaf a year and had awful color. I cut the tree down that it was under about 4 years ago, and now it looks great getting about half day full sun.

I was amazed at the turn around.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Thanks all.

Dean: I remember your experience, so I'm actually leaning toward putting it in the ground in an area with a partial day sun. I'll keep you posted.

Jeff: Where do you get the product Poly-start? I've found most nursuries around here to be very limited in what they carry.

Bret

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"