IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Summer time south of the equator

peachy

I know how you feel Ty, I really dont mind the heat during the day, but we have no aircon in the house so at night its a mission to get some sleep! Fans are running flat-out...

Then again I hope this continues until the end of june!!!

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

It's hit 39 here today. Much too hot to be doing anything.

I actually don't mind the heat provided I don't need to do anything outside and I have the air con on. Lately it's been too hot to do anything outside until the sun has gone down, however this arvo I need to pot a few things up, so I'll stick it out. These are days when you must keep the your plants moist. Luckily I have some powerful climate modifiers which turn this heat into humidity, which is actually harder to work in, but the plants love it.

I've not booked any garden jobs in this week or early next week. It's way too hot to work in other peoples gardens. At least mine has a canopy.

I will accept this heat if it makes my Heliconia rostrata flower. I dosed them up stupid with Potassium sulphate and it made the stems go bright red in places, so they want to flower, but no flowers yet. :(

If it stays warm for an extended period they may just flower this year.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

We had a minimum of 26c a couple of nights ago- one of the warmest nights on record. We've also had more minimums above 20c this February than at any time in the past.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

Hope you get some nice rostrata flowers soon Tyrone . I have been digging out one of my clumps , and am amazed at how much rhizome has grown in just 3 years . Weeds have grown through and pulled down the whole 2m dia. clump .

So I am chopping it all down and off to the tip .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Hope you get some nice rostrata flowers soon Tyrone . I have been digging out one of my clumps , and am amazed at how much rhizome has grown in just 3 years . Weeds have grown through and pulled down the whole 2m dia. clump .

So I am chopping it all down and off to the tip .

Off to the tip!!!!! That doesn't sound right. Even down here the clumps grow like crazy, but not as crazy as in the tropics. Mine has been in the ground 3 years now.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

42C today. It's a windy 26C at 7.13am this morning. We had a min of 24C. Time to do something outside while it's less than 35C. I give it a couple of hours.

Best regards

Tyrone

28C here today..and 31 tomorrow. But having just arrived back after 2 weeks away, I think the summer has "turned" for us here in Melbourne. I don't think we're going to get past 32C-33C again (until next October anyway...). Maybe I'm wrong, and we could have an Indian summer...but it just doesn't feel that way to me.

And the UV index has already dropped from "extreme" down to "very high"....

(Must nearly be getting time to let our northern friends "borrow" our sun for 6 months...... :rolleyes: )

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

28C here today..and 31 tomorrow. But having just arrived back after 2 weeks away, I think the summer has "turned" for us here in Melbourne. I don't think we're going to get past 32C-33C again (until next October anyway...). Maybe I'm wrong, and we could have an Indian summer...but it just doesn't feel that way to me.

And the UV index has already dropped from "extreme" down to "very high"....

(Must nearly be getting time to let our northern friends "borrow" our sun for 6 months...... :rolleyes: )

Yes Michael

Feels the same down here this week it got down to 7c on Wednesday morning !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

It's 41C here. You can't really get used to this heat. It just uncomfortable.

3 month long range forecast came in yesterday at the BOM and we're set for a dry and warm autumn in the SW. Basically it'll be an Indian summer this year possibly right up until mid May. That's what I reckon at the moment.

Best regards

Tyrone

Monsoonal showers today... yay!! It is so nice and cool out there, but wet. Not complaining at all... I think this is the last monsoonal burst for us though... After this, probably back to hit and miss storm and then dry season... YUCK!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I think my prize Dictyosperma album var furfuracea may have burnt to death today. I grew it from seed. :( I don't want to lose it. It's still in a pot so I moved it under cover, cut off it's dead bits and gave it some seasol. I think I get more damage in summer than winter. The black palms next to it didn't burn at all. Work that out.

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone, Black palms are very heat tolerant. My sister planted one of my seedlings at her place years ago. It was only a 3 leaf seedling and she planted it right next to the house. It was 2ft from a dark purple brick wall which faced north. The heat that radiated off the bricks was incredible, and this seedling would have seen 50C plus temps all day long in summer. It never missed a beat, didn't even burn, and was not watered or mulched or pampered in any way. It grew beautifully and turned into a fine young tree with 3ft of trunk. They ended up selling the house and gifted the palm to me, so I dug it up, hung it out of the rear window of my car and took it home. To this day it has never missed a beat, and it is getting close to flowering now. They are just as tough as a Wodyetia IMO.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Daryl, the Wodyetia's next to it didn't burn either. Those blacks are amazing palms. Blacks and Wodyetia's must be related somewhere I reckon.

Tyrone

Had a min of 27C and by 7.45am it was 30C again. Going for 40C today and maybe if we're very lucky a thunderstorm.

Tyrone

It is wet wet and wet today... and I think it will persist till next week (hopefully... at least). So, back to planting for this weekend. This will be my last big lots of planting before the wet is over.... Nice weather!!

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

WOOOOOHOOOOOO It's 37C and RAINING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi guys

The sun is definitly making its way back to the North! No doubt..,.

A cold front has managed to edge the high pressure system that has been hanging around for a while, areas in the Southern and Eastern Cape which were having a major drought have recieved some rain from the frontal system and I hope we get some too. Its cloudy and warm at the moment so I have my fingers crossed. Heat and hum is back from Sunday again.

Ty: nothing better than a hot shower!

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

It turns out that hot shower was very localised. At my place the downpipes were cranking the water out and the street had rivers of water running down either side. Half a km away there was almost a totally dry road and a km away not even a drop fell. When I got home an hour later my downpipes still had water trickling out. Humidity went sky high, but no official reading happened at the BOM. So we've offically had no rain since Nov 20 2009.

Now the clouds are clearing and strong gusty easterlies have cranked up.

Tyrone

Over 150mm already... town got more than 200 so far. The dam is full again.... and everything is wet again... Aaaahhhhhhh, this is the life!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

It's 37C and blowing a gale from the east. It's been blowing all night too. It blew a few palms in pots over and snapped some fronds on a few palms with sudden down drafts. My big Veitchia joannis has had a couple of fronds snapped. This wind is a big pain in the but, because it's drying everything out at triple the normal rate. Terrible for tropicals.

I've got to go to a wedding this arvo in this heat. It's an outdoors wedding too, about 30km inland. It's going to be really uncomfortable.

Best regards

Tyrone

I've only recently joined but thought I might jump in here. Feeling a bit more optimistic that this won't be the last monsoonal burst for the season. The wet's a great time, pity it's not just a couple of months longer, especially at the start.

Although, it does have it's down side. January's monsoon encouraged a 2.5 metre croc to come exploring my place. Bit of a worry if it lodged itself in my dam. That's my swimming pool. Even after several nights of spotlighting I still haven't been game to swim across the dam

January there was more than double my average (Jan) rainfall. February looked being the driest, up until this latest monsoonal burst. Now it may make it to average. My dam was starting to drop but this will have it running over again.

Took a quick look at Perth on the BOM site, it's that 20%RH that's the killer for the tropicals. A lot of them can take wind, heat and sun, but low humidity is their Achilles Heel.

Top End??? Where are you?? Darwin?

Welcome... the weather thread is a good place to hang out for Aussies....lol

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

It's 37C and blowing a gale from the east. It's been blowing all night too. It blew a few palms in pots over and snapped some fronds on a few palms with sudden down drafts. My big Veitchia joannis has had a couple of fronds snapped. This wind is a big pain in the but, because it's drying everything out at triple the normal rate. Terrible for tropicals.

I've got to go to a wedding this arvo in this heat. It's an outdoors wedding too, about 30km inland. It's going to be really uncomfortable.

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone.. that sounds like our dry season last year. Hot, dry & windy!! The plants hate it and most of my trees dropped their leaves even with watering.... Hopefully your canopy will provide a bit of protection.... BTW, have fun at the wedding... have lots of beer to cool yourself down :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Tsunami warning for all those in SE QLD and NE NSW!! Read the BOM!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Another windy evening and it's still blowing here around 11.15am. 35C today. It's a good day to make sundried tomatoes. :(

Best regards

Tyrone

We've just had the hottest summer on record. Across Dec, Jan Feb we've averaged 32C max.

Here's what eldersweather had to say.

"Perth has averaged 32 degrees this summer, equalling the previous record set in 1978 and almost two degrees above the summer average.

The unusually hot summer included the hottest January in 48 years, when the maximum temperature averaged 33.4 degrees.

The Western Australian capital has exceeded 35 degrees for the last four days and is a chance to extend the spell to seven days. If this feat is achieved it will be the first time in nine years. In February this has not occurred in 15 years.

Dry, gusty easterly winds will turn cooler southerly during Wednesday, so from Thursday onwards the temperature may fail to reach 30 for the first time in 10 days.

It will be a short-lived change, warming up again next weekend. We could see temperatures reach the mid 30s again by early next week."

Tyrone

Thanks Ari. I'm probably about 12 to 15 kms SSW of you.

BOM forecasts monsoon to dissipate by mid week with only a few spits from then on. No repeat of January's monsoon. At least it brought February's total right back up to normal levels.

Tyrone, I guess that's what you've got to expect there for March as well, easterlies, dry and hot. When it comes to temperatures the situation here is seen very differently. Days below 30C are considered cold and are rare. We have over 350 days per year (on average) over 30C.

Sundried tomatoes sounds great. But it's the opposite problem during mango season here. When I want to dry my mangos it's hot and humid. No point heating the mangos even more, it caramelizes the sugars in the fruit and makes them taste crappy.

Thanks Ari. I'm probably about 12 to 15 kms SSW of you.

BOM forecasts monsoon to dissipate by mid week with only a few spits from then on. No repeat of January's monsoon. At least it brought February's total right back up to normal levels.

Tyrone, I guess that's what you've got to expect there for March as well, easterlies, dry and hot. When it comes to temperatures the situation here is seen very differently. Days below 30C are considered cold and are rare. We have over 350 days per year (on average) over 30C.

Sundried tomatoes sounds great. But it's the opposite problem during mango season here. When I want to dry my mangos it's hot and humid. No point heating the mangos even more, it caramelizes the sugars in the fruit and makes them taste crappy.

Yeah, you're right. The big high in the Bight is around 1035 and we can get those easterlies right into June. :( I think it might be one of those years with warmer temps (which is fine) but more easterlies and drier conditions. Normally that means a warm winter, but that's bad for rainfall here.

Tyrone

Can't complain about the weather here...most days about 30C lately, showers on and off day and night, high humidity and great palm growing conditions. Everything is jumping out of the ground!...OK, not Darwin conditions, but pretty good none-the-less!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Can't complain about the weather here...most days about 30C lately, showers on and off day and night, high humidity and great palm growing conditions. Everything is jumping out of the ground!...OK, not Darwin conditions, but pretty good none-the-less!

Daryl

I'll take your conditions any day. Beats the last week of hell we've had here. DP's are around 2C at the moment and 36C.

At least the crazy easterlies have softened, but the air is so hungry for water it could soak up the entire Indian Ocean if you know what I mean.

Tyrone

Planted heaps this weekend... perfect wet weather... I thought I'd better put them in before I miss the boat completely. Probably another 50mm today...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Planted heaps this weekend... perfect wet weather... I thought I'd better put them in before I miss the boat completely. Probably another 50mm today...

It's great when you can get a lot done, get things planted and see good for your hard work. Enjoy the rain and humidity Ari.

It's dead still outside now and the humidity machine is working. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

I've been away at work this past weekend, so no planting in the rain. Unfortunately, when I get home the rain is expected to have eased. But I did plant up some stuff in anticipation of the monsoon before leaving so it should be doing well. Just a pitty the monsoon is fizzling out so quickly. But they do need the rain further south. With a bit of luck it might even reach right down into Victoria.

The rain is hitting QLD big time. Birdsville had record rainfall today. It has been a nice steady soaking rain here all day long. Tomorrow is supposed to bring big totals as the system strengthens.

Daryl

Yes... that was ours too.... The same one that dumped over 200mm in 24 hours in Darwin...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Impressive rain in the east. It was just shy of 40C here on the first day of autumn.

Tyrone

Well we just had our coolest night for ages...woke up to 18c outside and it felt strangly fresh! Rain for tomorrow and Wed then its back to the sweat-box!

Cheers

Dennis

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Well we just had our coolest night for ages...woke up to 18c outside and it felt strangly fresh! Rain for tomorrow and Wed then its back to the sweat-box!

Cheers

Dennis

We're going through the warmest part of our long summer here at the moment. When the sun comes back to the Northern Hemisphere we have our second consecutive summer here, you can well imagine how it feels...if it wasn't for the breeze from the ocean...but still, the temperature is glued in the 30°C mark, night and day...

It's still rather dry up here, in oposite to the Southeast (São Paulo i.e.) where they had an all time record of precipitation this year (47 days of rain in a row for jan/feb with several floods).

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

The rain is hitting QLD big time. Birdsville had record rainfall today. It has been a nice steady soaking rain here all day long. Tomorrow is supposed to bring big totals as the system strengthens.

Daryl

Just reading the newspaper on-line and looking at the BOM site and it looks as though it's going to get pretty wet once the system coming in from the west joins up with the one up the coast.

Our farm up at Childers is on the top end of the system though the neighbors just emailed that we'd had 35mm for the day.

I'd say that Wal is about to find out how wet his new place will get. Hope you're OK Wal

Regards

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

Daryl

Just reading the newspaper on-line and looking at the BOM site and it looks as though it's going to get pretty wet once the system coming in from the west joins up with the one up the coast.

Our farm up at Childers is on the top end of the system though the neighbors just emailed that we'd had 35mm for the day.

I'd say that Wal is about to find out how wet his new place will get. Hope you're OK Wal

Regards

Bruce

We had 100mm overnight with more to come. Looks like Wal got about 125mm...I'm sure he's loving it!

Daryl