IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Summer time south of the equator

peachy

Could be some nice rain coming !!

Outlook : two low pressure systems meeting...

"A low pressure system is over northern New South Wales and a low pressure

trough is approaching from the west. Very humid and unstable conditions exist

over most of Victoria.

Heavy rain and isolated thunderstorms which may lead to flash flooding is

forecast for the Western, Wimmera, and Mallee this afternoon before extending

to the Northern Country, North Central and Central forecast districts later in

the day and tonight. General falls of 25 to 50mm are likely with some localised

falls above 75 mm likely." ^_^

I hope you get a huge downpour to fill your tanks.

We're meant to be getting rain on Sat and Sun with mid twenties which will be a nice change from dry 30C weather. It has been cooler this week though. It beats 40C weather that's for sure.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Boring weather for the last 2 days now.... HOT, SUNNY & HUMID!!! I hope the storm or monsoon will happen soon!!

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Boring weather for the last 2 days now.... HOT, SUNNY & HUMID!!! I hope the storm or monsoon will happen soon!!

Do you want a cyclone or something to make it interesting??? :D

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

A cyclone is ok, as long as it is far enough away... just to bring rain, not the wind. No Tyrone, I just want RAIN RAIN RAIN!! Have you ever been to Darwin when it is just HOT and HUMID without rain?? Rain brings heaven to earth in Darwin... it drops the temperature to about 10deg, instant cooling and makes everything so green and lush!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Gotta get me to Darwin one day Ari. I was talking to my wife today about driving up your way to check it out soon. We both need a break. We've just been going flat out lately.

33C today before a rainy 24C tomorrow. I'm looking forward to the change. Maybe my Heliconia's will start flowering. Next week looks like a humid week of 19C min - 32C max.

Best regards

Tyrone

Come on up!! We would love to have you...

Thanks Ari. We'd love to come and see you.

Best regards

Tyrone

As long as it is not easter, Tyrone, I won't be here.... Unless you want to look after my house while I am away... :winkie:

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

It won't be Easter as I'll still be flat out then. Probably in winter some time if we come.

A cooler day today of 25,26C and light rain tonight before a rainy start to a 27C day tomorrow. A beautiful weekend.

Best regards

Tyrone

Great palm growing weather here still. Lots of warmth, humidity and rain. Two thunderstorms today were good for the garden too! The dewpoint has been high for a while and peaked at 25C today with no air movement...very sweaty!

Torrential rain tonight..palms must be loving it!

Forecast for Saturday Evening

Showers and possible thunder. Light to moderate E to NE winds.

Precis: Showers

Forecast for Sunday

Showers, tending to rain at times. Some possible thunder. Freshening E'ly winds.

Precis: Showers.

City: Min 23 Max 29

Bayside: Min 23 Max 28

UV Alert: 8:10 am to 4:00 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 12 [Extreme]

Monday Showers easing Min 23 Max 29

Tuesday Few showers. Min 23 Max 29

Wednesday Shower or two. Min 22 Max 29

Thursday Shower or two. Min 22 Max 29

Friday Mostly fine. Min 22 Max 31

Saturday Fine. Min 21 Max 30

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

The UV index is the highest I've ever seen forecast. A UV index of 15!!!!

Forecast for Saturday evening

Cloudy with light rain developing during the evening. Moderate W'ly winds.

Precis: Light rain developing later.

Forecast for Sunday

Cloudy with some light rain, clearing during the afternoon. Light winds,

shifting moderate SW'ly in the afternoon.

Precis: Light rain, clearing.

City: Min 17 Max 27

Mandurah: Min 19 Max 26

UV Alert: 8:20 am to 4:40 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 15 [Extreme]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: HIGH

Hills: HIGH

Monday Sunny. Min 18 Max 31

Tuesday Sunny. Min 18 Max 31

Wednesday Partly cloudy. Min 16 Max 30

Thursday Partly cloudy. Min 17 Max 31

Friday Sunny. Min 18 Max 31

Saturday Sunny. Min 17 Max 30

Best regards

Tyrone

We have had over 200mm (8") of rain since yesterday morning...most of it was last night...Rain is still torrential this morning, but not as bad as last night. The garden doesn't need watering anymore!

Here is the creek this morning, after it had peaked during the night.

post-42-12654884071323_thumb.jpg

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

We have had over 200mm (8") of rain since yesterday morning...most of it was last night...Rain is still torrential this morning, but not as bad as last night. The garden doesn't need watering anymore!

Here is the creek this morning, after it had peaked during the night.

post-42-12654884071323_thumb.jpg

Daryl

What a beautiful view that is mate. Good for you. Your plants will be loving it. :)

Here we didn't get any rain overnight. Just a heavy dew, which the plants would have loved. I woke up to 20C, dead still and humid this morning with big white fluffy clouds surrounded by blue sky. Beautiful.

Our record for days without rain is 83. We're at 80 roughly with no rain in sight. We'll smash the record I think. 27C and humid today then back to low thirties. I'd love some rain though. I'll have to be content making my own. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Still drizzling here, but we ended up receiving 275mm or 11 " in the last 24 hours. That will do nicely for the next week or two!

Daryl

The rain continues here. In the south the city of São Paulo is a complete mess. On Friday it marked 45 days of rain. The city is flooded all over the place and the reservoirs which supply the water are over flowing. Since about 22 million people live in the São Paulo metro area you can imagine the problems. Traffic is bad on a good day. With this it is a mess.

Here is the rainy day over the river yesterday here in Mananus

I was on the river going to my country place through the bridge project. There is a thread I posted on Ohana nui about this project.

post-188-12655443687781_thumb.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Very humid and muggy today and 34C. Dewpoints are up around 19-20C at 10.30pm. Large thunder clouds formed inland today with thunderstorm warnings issued for the inland, and hail warnings issued. No rain here though and by the looks of the radar, Esperance on the south coast got some good heavy falls. Humid and cloudy and 28C tomorrow, then low to mid thirties for the next week peaking at 37C. Nights around 18-21C for the same period. Garden is going nuts.

Best regards

Tyrone

Woke up to 21C and a cloud forest outside. It must have been 100% RH in the garden as it was drizzling very lightly. If you walked around a bit you could feel yourself getting moist. All the leaves were wet. Well if you can't get rain, 100% humidity is not too bad. Palms have grown overnight, spears are opening everywhere and my Dypsis plumosa seeds have doubled in size overnight. I love these dead still misty mornings. I wish we had more of them.

Best regards

Tyrone

By lunch time it's warmed up a couple of degrees, but it's still cloudy and humid with persistent very light drizzle. It's really pleasant mild humid weather. The palms are going to love it today. I wonder if we'll make 28C.

Best regards

Tyrone

BORING WEATHER..... HOT and HUMID!!! If we don't get any rain soon, I am going to loose it :angry:

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Another humid and cloudy 21C min night has gone by. Nothing but cloud and moisture outside now with approx 90%RH. I could get used to this. Going for 31C today. It may be a muggy day when it warms up.

Best regards

Tyrone

Boy was it humid today. We didn't see the sun until 3pm when the thick gloom lifted after a sea breeze. It was very sticky with dewpoints around 19,20C and mid twenties. From the city you couldn't see the hills, and the whole city was covered in a thick humid haze. It's strange weather when Perth is stuck in the clouds.

Best regards

Tyrone

Boy was it humid today. We didn't see the sun until 3pm when the thick gloom lifted after a sea breeze. It was very sticky with dewpoints around 19,20C and mid twenties. From the city you couldn't see the hills, and the whole city was covered in a thick humid haze. It's strange weather when Perth is stuck in the clouds.

Best regards

Tyrone

Looks like you are having some nice cool, humid weather there Tyrone...bet the palms like that better than 40C!

Daryl

That's so true Daryl. Give me humidity over 40C any day.

I'm hoping my Heliconia rostrata's decide to flower soon.

My beehive gingers have burst into flower.

Best regards

Tyrone

Hope they bloom for you soon...here is one of mine...I'm wondering how many 'beaks' it will get before it stops. (sorry for OT Hijack of weather thread!)

post-42-12658958216307_thumb.jpg

Daryl

Looking fantastic. When do they start blooming for you.

Best regards

Tyrone

Lol. I'm just readed the last 2 pages of this treath and your temperatures. I would love to have 2 weeks in a row temperatures like that during summer. I defitnely has to move somewhere else in the future. :D

Robbin

Southwest

Here's the next weeks forecast.

Forecast for Friday

Partly cloudy. Light to moderate S/SE winds shifting moderate to fresh S/SW in

the afternoon.

Precis: Partly cloudy.

City: Max 32

Mandurah: Max 31

UV Alert: 8:40 am to 4:30 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 13 [Extreme]

Saturday Sunny. Min 18 Max 33

Sunday Hot, sunny. Min 20 Max 37

Monday Humid change. Min 21 Max 32

Tuesday Mostly sunny. Min 18 Max 31

Wednesday Mostly sunny. Min 19 Max 34

Thursday Humid. Min 20 Max 32

A few humid days in there which is good, and not too hot, although 37C on Sun could hit 40C.

Best regards

Tyrone

Hope they bloom for you soon...here is one of mine...I'm wondering how many 'beaks' it will get before it stops. (sorry for OT Hijack of weather thread!)

Daryl

Hey... this is not just the 'weather' thread... This is also where we have been catching up :) :). BTW, very nice beaks... They do get long.. the longer they are in the ground, the longer the 'beaks' get, providing they are well fed and watered. I love my heliconias... hopefully more will flower this year.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Forecast for Friday

the afternoon.

A few humid days in there which is good, and not too hot, although 37C on Sun could hit 40C.

Best regards

Tyrone

That forecast looks live heaven for me at the moment! Can you pass me 10C of your temperatures please? hit -5C here last night! :angry:

Southwest

Pretty close to 40 deg here today... HOT and STEAMY and again... NO RAIN!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Daryl

Hey... this is not just the 'weather' thread... This is also where we have been catching up :) :). BTW, very nice beaks... They do get long.. the longer they are in the ground, the longer the 'beaks' get, providing they are well fed and watered. I love my heliconias... hopefully more will flower this year.

Yeah, this thread seems to have "eaten up" a lot of the Aussies. We don't see as many appearances in other threads... :(

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Forecast for Friday

the afternoon.

Best regards

Tyrone

That forecast looks live heaven for me at the moment! Can you pass me 10C of your temperatures please? hit -5C here last night! :angry:

Yeah, this is a nice warm time of year here. It's reasonably stable by Feb too, with the odd humid day. By the afternoon there are usually some big cumulonimbus forming over the hills. On the odd occasion they come west and we get some thunder and rain. Not this year though. Yesterday it got to 31C but with dewpoints mainly around 16-18C. Working in it was tough though. I must have drunk about 5 litres of fluids and I was still dehydrated.

Best regards

Tyrone

Pretty close to 40 deg here today... HOT and STEAMY and again... NO RAIN!!

Sounds like hell Ari.

Best regards

Tyrone

Daryl

Yeah, this thread seems to have "eaten up" a lot of the Aussies. We don't see as many appearances in other threads... :(

This is by no means meant with any disrespect, but we're in summer down here, and the other threads are all about cold damage, and how so and so saw 22F etc, and we simply don't want to get depressed in our "happy time" which is summer. Also I think us Aussies are reading the threads, but as we don't really know the US maybe feel a bit unqualified to get involved in discussions. Not me though, I'll blabber on to anyone, and get my head bitten every now and again, but it's all good. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

Can't relate to the cold weather... really, BS... Our minimum is only 10 deg here and then it is only at night for about 2 days in a year... And I know it is sad... but Tyrone is right... it is too depressing.

BTW, missed out on the first line of monsoon storm this morning :angry: . But hopefully there is more to come!!! Come on rain!!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Daryl

This is by no means meant with any disrespect, but we're in summer down here, and the other threads are all about cold damage, and how so and so saw 22F etc, and we simply don't want to get depressed in our "happy time" which is summer. Also I think us Aussies are reading the threads, but as we don't really know the US maybe feel a bit unqualified to get involved in discussions. Not me though, I'll blabber on to anyone, and get my head bitten every now and again, but it's all good. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

My weather is basically so boring I get the feeling no one really pays attention. Not that they need to either. It is just one endless summer. Part of it with little to no rain, and the other raining nearly every day. It has been interesting watching the Brazilian national news about the heat spell down south in Rio. They have been having many 38 to 40 C days this summer. And, many people are complaining. Here we get 3 to 4 months of pretty much non stop 38 to 40 C days in the city every day. And, even in the rainy season the temperatures can get above 35 C if there is no rain. I guess it is what you are used to. Nobody here really thinks much of the heat. Life just goes on one day after another. And, it never gets cold.

DK

post-188-12660934088895_thumb.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don, it is never boring when you have rain, IMO. It is only boring when it is sunny sunny and sunny... like Darwin in the dry season. Not looking forward to that in the next few months..

Had a few monsoonal showers today... It seems like everything dies on top of us... Oh well... As long as the garden has a little bit.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Don, it is never boring when you have rain, IMO. It is only boring when it is sunny sunny and sunny... like Darwin in the dry season. Not looking forward to that in the next few months..

Had a few monsoonal showers today... It seems like everything dies on top of us... Oh well... As long as the garden has a little bit.

Ari,

You have a point. I was very tired of the dry season this year as it went on for at least 4 months with very little rain. I love the clouds during the rainy season. That is the towering build up clouds.

I just took this picture looking out from my company toward the in coming rain. You can see some Mauritias and Attaleas in the distance.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Ari,

You have a point. I was very tired of the dry season this year as it went on for at least 4 months with very little rain. I love the clouds during the rainy season. That is the towering build up clouds.

I just took this picture looking out from my company toward the in coming rain. You can see some Mauritias and Attaleas in the distance.

dk

post-188-12660935992703_thumb.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don, I didn't know an equatorial climate would get 3 or 4 months of 38-40C. That's real hot. So my E precatoria can take very high temps with humidity. That is good to know.

Best regards

Tyrone