IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Summer time south of the equator

peachy

Had a min of 27C overnight. At 8.30am it was 34C. Only 7C to go until the forecast is reached. I think we'll blitz it. No seabreeze looks likely until much later today. At least the easterlies are virtually gone now.

Michael, if you want to put a decent controller in with a solenoid let me know. I should be able to guide you a bit if you need help.

Best regards

Tyrone

We use Hunter ICC controllers and valves both in California and at Childers Qld.

We like them as they are expandable to 32 stations and have a 120v-240v transformer so they can be wired for both countries.

Haven't had a mulfuction in the four years we have been using them running over 100 stations.

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

TC Olga is predicted to run aground near Port Douglas as a cat 2. I didn't see this one coming. It appeared out of nowhere. Hopefully it will stay cat 2 or lower and cause minimal damage. The area around Julatten and Mt Lewis will get a dumping of rain. I don't know if I'd want to be on Mt Lewis when a cyclone hits.

Here, 36C today and afternoon thunderstorms. A quality growing day. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

That one came out of nowhere, Tyrone... Although there is ex-Neville which apparently will reform once it heads back towards GOC. I guess we shall see what happens... Cat 2 should be ok, as long as it is not cat 3 and above...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Tyrone's heat wave finally made it to the east coast: it reached 41c in the city and 43c at Sydney airport. Then a very nice gusty southerly came through about 3pm.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

Yes that heat was something. It got to about 37C today, then we had some thunderstorms roll in and drop about a mm if you were lucky enough to be underneath one. My area was, but I was at my sisters 20km away, and the sky went dark and there were some loud rolling thunder noises but no rain. Humidity is up now. It'll be a warm humid night before a humid 32C tomorrow. Back to high 30's from Wed on.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

TC Olga is predicted to run aground near Port Douglas as a cat 2. I didn't see this one coming. It appeared out of nowhere. Hopefully it will stay cat 2 or lower and cause minimal damage. The area around Julatten and Mt Lewis will get a dumping of rain. I don't know if I'd want to be on Mt Lewis when a cyclone hits.

Here, 36C today and afternoon thunderstorms. A quality growing day. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

That one came out of nowhere, Tyrone... Although there is ex-Neville which apparently will reform once it heads back towards GOC. I guess we shall see what happens... Cat 2 should be ok, as long as it is not cat 3 and above...

Ari,

Looks as though Olga might be heading your way at the moment. but will probably swing to the north when it hits the Gulf

Bruce

Yes.... I think there is a huge chance that Olga is heading for us.... hopefully as a tropical low which dumps a lot of rain via Katherine. The weather people here are getting VERY EXCITED!! Me?? Not so much... I have seen 2 cyclones and I think that is enough. I am not too worried about it though, whatever happen will happen.. we just have to be prepared for it and make sure the insurance is up to date...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

TC OLga looks like it will take a direct hit to Cape Tribulation and the Daintree. I hope it doesn't do too much damage to the Licualas in the area. The Mission Beach ones were severely damaged by Larry and don't look much like they used too. The Cape Trib ones are a beautiful stand of undamaged Licuala forest. Maybe not after a couple of days. I hope it downgrades before it hits. :(

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Wow this is all very nice and new and snazzy. I still hadnt worked out the old system, so I suppose this one will take a while too but I must admit it looks easier. Well still very hot here, 38 on the deck today and of course no rain and none in sight. The heat is really not doing any of the more tropical things much good and I have accepted now that until I am well enough to spend more time watering that I am going to continue having losses. That first week of rain from the last rain event, that I missed out on getting, would have made quite a difference to this place I am sure. I am beginning to wonder if I will ever see another normal rainy summer. In 21 years I have experienced only 2. As soon I as can see and balance well enough, (without falling out of my wheelie) I am going to rearrange all the young palms and seedlings into water needs instead of just wetting all of them and hoping for the best. Potted up some seedlings yesterday and forgot to tag them. So they are either chami woodfordiana or warsceswickii. I will have to keep them for some time I guess until they start looking different to each other. The inground palms arent growing as fast as they should be for this time of year, just lack of moisture, so there is nothing to get really excited over. It seems only the indoor specimens are growing at the correct pace. I did get surpised by my Dypsis crinita when I saw its coloured new leaf. I was sure they were all green. It seems quite happy here but its yet to go thru a bad winter so time will tell. Such a pretty palm tho, I want a couple more, but until I know, it goes on hold. No point buying anything either until the weather breaks at least.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Peachy D crinita will take prolonged cool weather which it won't get at your place, but frost is another thing. I have prolonged cool weather but never frost and mine grow fine. If you put it under canopy, which is what it really needs I doubt you'll have problems with it. Do you have saucers under your potted plants? They make the world of difference in hot dry weather.

After a mid 30's day today, it's now a very humid night out there. It's 22C with a 86% RH and dewpoints around 20C. The air feels soft. There are low clouds scooting in from the ocean, but no rain unfortunately. Still it's a beautiful night. If only we had mountains inland instead of hills the clouds would catch on the mountains and maybe drop some rain. Oh well. I think I'm 1000000 years too late for that sort of thing here.

Best regards

Tyrone

After a mid 30's day today, it's now a very humid night out there. It's 22C with a 86% RH and dewpoints around 20C. The air feels soft.

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone,

Your description is what almost every night here is like. Some of them are a bit stickier than others. But, the air feeling soft is good description. I like our nights here. They basically never change, low of 22 to 24 C. What happens is that in the dry season it takes longer to cool down. So, it may not reach the minimum until 3 or 4 am. It has been raining a lot here. And, it has been more cloudy than not. But, that is what it is supposed to be doing this time of year. I imagine that January will come in somewhere between 250 and 300 mm.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Ex-Olga & Ex-Neville are doing a dance there in QLD... And we have ridge across top end... typical :rolleyes: . Yes... now officially we are having a break in the weather... It hasn't rained for 2 days now... and we shall have to wait and see what happens today. If Ex-Olga is mowing west and the ridge is clearing, we might be able to get more rain the next day or two... If not, I guess.... roll on February!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Don, humidity makes all the difference. It's fully clouded over this morning and humid. Humid nights around 22-24C must be beautiful in your part of the world. Here we get glimpses of the tropics before it rolls away. Normally mins happen here around 4-6am at this time of year, and RH peaks about that time of the morning. In hot weather we can often be around 30C at midnight. Right now we are under a low that has travelled down from the tropics sucking in moisture from the tropical Indian, but no rain, just humidity. I expect to see a fair bit of growth overnight.

Best regards

Tyrone

After writing the above post I went outside and the grass had heavy dew on it, the cover on my ute had puddles on it, and water was dripping in the downpipes of my house just from the humidity alone. It's about 27C at 11.30am and still fully cloudy. Really nice palm growing weather.

Best regards

Tyrone

Welcome to our monsoon weather... Tyrone... I wonder where ours had gone....lol

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

It was humid and 30C today. The sun didn't come out at all until the afternoon. 20C dewpoints at the moment at sundown. Dead still too. It's great. Dry and hot by the end of the week and high 30's, before humid low thirties on the weekend.

Best regards

Tyrone

So what direction is Olga heading now? and where will it end up?

We are forecast for heavy rain in the Wide Bay area this weekend 40-100mm would be nice.

Bruce

It is near Mornington island at the moment in the GOC. It is predicted to go west/north west and then east?? Although that doesn't seem likely. I guess we shall see what happens...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

What a mess that system is. Where is it going? It's doing a dance on the spot and intensifying.

Tyrone

The whole wet season has been a mess, Tyrone.. I have to water today for the first time since the wet season started... If it doesn't start raining again soon, I will go bananas...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

we had a few days break from the rain. Which is good as I am doing fixing up my cargo terminal yard and the rain makes it impossible to work. I looks like it might rain today though.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

The last few days have been humid with dewpoints from 15-20C and temps from 20-22C min to 30-37C max. It's been taking a long time to cool down at night. Yesterday I was loading up some bamboo clumps on the ute that had just been dug from the ground around sundown, and it was around 29-30C with a dewpoint around 19C, boy it was sticky. I'm sure I lost weight yesterday. Today I'll have to plant those bamboo up, one I can only move in the wheelbarrow, it took two to lift onto the ute. We're going for 35C but I'll be planting up in the shade which makes a world of difference.

Best regards

Tyrone

The average for this Jan in Perth has been 18.8Cmin (66F) to 35C (95F) max which is about 2C warmer than Geraldton (400km 250miles North) which is also having a warmer than average Jan. I haven't run the air con this much ever. It seems like it's running 24/7 at the moment. There's a couple of hours in the morning when I switch it off, but by 8.30am the temp rockets up again and it's back on to keep the place cool before it gets hot and doesn't switch the compressor off. This January has felt like an Exmouth summer which is 1200km (750 miles) north. Still no rain on the horizon either.

I hope my Heliconia rostratas flower in this heat.

Best regards

Tyrone

Ex-Olga or Ex-Neville gave us 30mm last night... It was nice!! So cool today and the garden simply loves it!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

rain missed us again. so hot, so dry, I really can't afford all this beer I'm drinking.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Finally got some rain (showers really) last night and it looks good for tonight as well.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hi Wal, yeah, I got woken up by that storm at 3:00am. It was a pretty active thunderstorm for sure. We ended up getting 24mm which is a good start! Hopefully more over the next couple of days.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

38C today after a min of about 21C. Air con went off early this morning to go back on at 9am. Cooler change tomorrow getting down to 30C before getting hotter again.

Tyrone

Hi Wal, yeah, I got woken up by that storm at 3:00am. It was a pretty active thunderstorm for sure. We ended up getting 24mm which is a good start! Hopefully more over the next couple of days.

Daryl

I'm glad you're getting some rain. There's nothing worse than being hot and dry.

Best regards

Tyrone

Just talked to the neighbour over at the farm in Childers and it looks as though we are in for some nice rain for the next couple of days 60-100mm and have already had 25mm overnight.

Bruce

Well I think you guys in the east may be getting some decent rain soon with Ex TC Olga tracking down from the NT almost right down to Victoria. I hope Michael fills his tanks in Melbourne.

In the west the dewpoints have dropped, the night temps have dropped and the air has generally dried out as we're now in a southerly flow. Day temps are now in the high twenties to mid thirties. I was getting sick of hitting 40C at least once a week. Air con wasn't on lastnight thank goodness. Lately it seems to have been constantly on. The weather will be a bit more pleasant and still warm enough for good growth.

Yesterday a friend who works on the mines in the Pilbara near Karratha said that when he stepped off of the plane in Perth last week he nearly died with the heat. He wanted to go back up north to the cool in Karratha. :blink: Weird.

Best regards

Tyrone

• Upvote 1

Hi Tyrone,

Yes, they are saying that the remains of TC Olga MAY make it as far south as southern Vic, and we COULD pick up some useful rain on Thursday/Friday of this week....we'll see I guess.

Today is fairly warm...mid-30's with a gusty wind...I was out putting up some lattice against the fence for some Mandevilla's......2 sections of that up, and I was more than ready to come inside and have a cool drink.... Meant to get a thundery change late afternoon... fingers crossed. Warm week ahead though... around 27C -32C each day. The hum of air-cons fills the street....

Regards

Michael.

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

Another scorcher today its 34c ATM . This has to be our warest summer for ages . Must have had 10 days over 30c since late November.

No rain since Dec 18 .

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Ex-Olga took our rain away.... but we did get monsoonal rain today (weird??). Anyway, we got 23mm today, not bad for a supposedly a slow day... Planted a few heliconias & crotons today, so hopefully they are happy with the rain.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

A few loud storms here over the last couple of days. No rain in the first couple but then a few showers on saturday night. Last night it really poured down, although this morning there's no a puddle or muddy spot to be seen in the garden. Still nice and cool for the 3rd day running, sheer bliss as far as I am concerned. Hopefully the palms will get growing a bit now as they seemed to stop during all the heat and dryness. Today its very windy so there will probably be a few fronds down before the day is over. Thought I had lost my Licuala grandis to the heat and dryness, but after a good drink last night it's upright again and looking like nothing ever went wrong. All the seedlings in the carport are growing very quickly, its cooler under there and they get hand watered regularly. Some of the little euterpes are opening actual leaves even though they only germinated in late november. I am hoping the rain and cooler weather stick around for a bit longer, but the wind can go.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

It has been cloudy and humid for several days and nights; not nice for everyday living and sleeping.

Not much rain though until today, but probably a lot more to come.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

Predicting some decent rain here tomorrow...10-20mm and maybe more. We'll see... have probably jinxed it by posting on here before the event. :winkie:

Very warm tonight...10.30pm here and still 28C...

Regards

Michael

Edited by Miccles

We had 187mm at the farm in Childers since Friday.

A bit more forcast for the weekend.

Bruce

Could be some nice rain coming !!

Outlook : two low pressure systems meeting...

"A low pressure system is over northern New South Wales and a low pressure

trough is approaching from the west. Very humid and unstable conditions exist

over most of Victoria.

Heavy rain and isolated thunderstorms which may lead to flash flooding is

forecast for the Western, Wimmera, and Mallee this afternoon before extending

to the Northern Country, North Central and Central forecast districts later in

the day and tonight. General falls of 25 to 50mm are likely with some localised

falls above 75 mm likely." ^_^

We seem to have missed out on some of the heavy rainfalls of the last few weeks , though more will come I am sure .

My max/min thermometer shows a balmy low of 26C currently 34 .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.