IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Summer time south of the equator

peachy

"That's when good neighbours become good friends"

:lol:

Wow Michael ,fantastic idea - no more water restrictions for you . We have had at least 1 heavy shower every week so we are very lucky down here .

BTW the Hedyscepe is looking great .

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

After a couple of weeks watching it rain all over the city and surrounding suburbs, stopping about 1 klm from my place, I really thought I wouldnt be able to cope with all the watering much longer. However as I was getting ready for bed after a somewhat weird xmas day (2 proposals of marriage and they weren't even drunk) about 22.00, I heard rain. Lovely rain. Buckets of rain. It poured down all night with bits and pieces yesterday. Last night same story, down it came in torrents. So far its only really soaked the top 20 cms or so but it looks like more is on the way. I even managed to get some small palms in the ground, first time I have been able to make a hole for ages due the rock hard soil. A ute load of weeds is about to be dug/pulled up this morning, then I will see if I am still active enough to plant a few more things. I have to try and make some really big holes too as I have acquired so many palms in those enormous black pots and bags, they are the ones that really take it out of me. However I will give it a try while this lovely wonderful miraculous rain is about to help them settle in.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

I've been down on the south coast where it hasn't got to more than 31C and around 90% RH. But up here in Perth has been as high as 43C, with mins as high as 28C. I got home to find my hothouse and shadehouse bone dry, but remarkably nothing was damaged and things have actually grown. I'd just put a new timeclock for the retic on my shadehouse and hothouse before I left and had checked it's operation, but when I got home I'd found that the power switch had been turned off!!!!!!! I don't know what happened there. Luckily nothing was damaged. I gave everything a good water and I hope they'll continue on like nothing has happened.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Lucky... Tyrone...

Last time things failed on me I lost 4 of my beautiful palms... :angry:

Raining here still on and off... I haven't had to turn my watering on... so I am happy.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

It's 8.00am here and already 30C... it is going to be a hot one. Yesterday was around 38C...bone dry.

Thunderstorms predicted tonight... lets hope so.

I better go out and water before it gets too hot.

Happy New Year to all.

Regards

Michael.

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

22c down here already (very rare) definately in for a scorcher ! I put my drippers on last night for 60 min .

Hope you dont get those horrible 40 + temps like last year Michael .

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Looks as though it's pissing down rain in Townsville with 210mm overnight. hopefully it will come down the coast to the Wide Bay area. The farm at Childers has had about 110mm since Xmas. Good excuse for a trip over to spray the weeds

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

I cant complain for once. The temps are staying between 22 at night and 28max by day. The wind is more of a breeze and not around very often, and we have overcast skies. Rain has been pouring down since exmouse day, but no run off or wastage. It's going into the ground. Not having to spend every waking hour hosing gives me so much time to do other things, so of course I am taking advantage of nice soft soil to dig holes all over the place. I can decide what goes in them later. Poor Tyrone over in Perth, all that awful heat and terribles fires, you were very lucky not to come home to dead palms. Haven't we just had a major bitch session on those silly timer thingies a page or 2 back ?? The lesson is DONT trust them.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Phew !

Its 38.5 c here now clear hot and still . Only gets this hot every 3-4 yrs

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

38.5C in Hobart must feel incredibly hot. The heat is reaching a long way south. Even the high UV is going way south. Just south of WA at around 45S the predicted UV index was 14, whereas Perth today is around 11. Weird.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Phew !

Its 38.5 c here now clear hot and still . Only gets this hot every 3-4 yrs

Yes... I remember when Scott was living in Launceston... I think that year we had 2 days of nearly 40 temperature... and then after that back down to 19... Bizzare place!! LOL

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Summer is definitely here now.

Here's the forecast.

Forecast for Friday

Sunny. Moderate SE'ly winds, shifting fresh S/SW in the afternoon.

Precis: Sunny.

City: Min 15 Max 30

Mandurah: Min 16 Max 29

UV Alert: 8:20 am to 4:20 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 11 [Extreme]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: VERY HIGH

Hills: HIGH

Saturday Sunny. Windy morning. Min 17 Max 36

Sunday Sunny. Windy morning. Min 20 Max 39

Monday Partly cloudy. Min 19 Max 33

Tuesday Partly cloudy. Min 15 Max 32

Wednesday Partly cloudy. Min 17 Max 33

Thursday Partly cloudy. Min 17 Max 32

Even the cold water tap feels like 28-30C at a guess. Palms are going crazy with the warm ground temps.

Best regards

Tyrone

Forecast has been turned up a notch.

Forecast for Saturday

Sunny. Moderate to fresh E'ly winds, gusty about the hills in the morning,

easing before an afternoon sea breeze.

Precis: Sunny. Windy morning.

City: Min 17 Max 35

Mandurah: Min 17 Max 33

UV Alert: 8:20 am to 4:20 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 11 [Extreme]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: VERY HIGH

Hills: VERY HIGH

Sunday Very hot. Windy morning. Min 20 Max 39

Monday Sunny. Min 21 Max 33

Tuesday Partly cloudy. Min 18 Max 35

Wednesday Very hot. Min 23 Max 38

Thursday Partly cloudy. Min 16 Max 32

Friday Partly cloudy. Min 17 Max 34

I'm glad I'm home to make sure everything is kept nice and moist.

Best regards

Tyrone

double post deleted

Got home after a week down south and feeling glad to be back, because the garden had more than 150mm of rain in my absence...No watering for a while! It's amazing how a week of good rain greens up your garden, along with warm humid days and nights. Only trouble is now I have a lot of mowing to do!

Forecast for Saturday

Cloudy with a few showers. Light to moderate NE to NW winds.

Precis: Cloudy, showers

City: Max 30

Bayside: Max 29

UV Alert: 7:40 am to 4:00 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 14 [Extreme]

Sunday Showers and thunderstorms Min 23 Max 31

Monday Showers easing Min 22 Max 28

Tuesday Mostly fine Min 22 Max 29

Wednesday Mostly fine Min 22 Max 30

Thursday Mostly fine Min 22 Max 30

Friday Mostly fine Min 22 Max 29

Daryl

(Happy to be back in QLD)

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

It got to 39.5 c in my garden on new years eve and was still 34 c at 8pm ,all the people at my BBQ retreated off the deck inside to airconditioning.

The Leppidorachis and hedyscepe (hedy was in full sun ) went through it unscathed ! !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

What an annoying day yesterday... Darwin got over 50mm rain, Palmerston had over 100mm rain and we got mere 10mm!!!! For some reason, everything just died on our door step or went around us.... I don't mind not getting much rain if nobody else is not getting any... but when Palmerston is flooded and we only get a tiny weeny bit, it got me really annoyed!! I hope we get more today. The dam needs to be filled!!

BTW, welcome back Daryl....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Daryl, I envy your warmer minimums and mobs of humidity. Those mins can't really be recreated here. A microclimate may hold a couple of degrees (bringing me up into the 20,21C bracket) but the same setup where you are would bring the mins into the 24, 25C bracket. Coconuts aren't meant to flower without X amount of nights with mins 23C and above. No wonder they fruit so well over your way. Oh well I can't have everything.

Troy that is warm.

Ari, you'll get your rain, and your dam filled I reckon. Probably in one day. How I wish I had rainy summers. :( They're just blazing hot and sunny, typically with windy easterlies. How I wish for some tropical convection, and some cummulonimbus action in the sky.

Best regards

Tyrone

Hot and very humid here still. Getting regular rain, although last night it was very light, not the nice soaking rain I have been getting since exmouse day. After the long dry period and then the heatwave, this weather is doing the palms a world of good. They look so much stronger and way more verdant than they have been in a long time. All of them have one or 2 spears, so if this weather stays around a bit longer they should really take off, at last. Troy, my Leppis, Hedys and Rhopies all survived the heat and wind without a murmur. I think they are a lot tougher than we give them credit for. Now the ground is soft I have been frantically digging holes anywhere there is a vacant space and will worry about what to put where later on. I have a few things in those really big plastic pots that are too heavy lift, but I did manage to get one of them planted yesterday. Today, to relieve the pangs of deprivation, I bought a little fern. I have now gone 3 whole weeks without needing to buy a palm. Please dont think you need to stint on any admiration you wish to send my way.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Hot and very humid here still. Getting regular rain, although last night it was very light, not the nice soaking rain I have been getting since exmouse day. After the long dry period and then the heatwave, this weather is doing the palms a world of good. They look so much stronger and way more verdant than they have been in a long time. All of them have one or 2 spears, so if this weather stays around a bit longer they should really take off, at last. Troy, my Leppis, Hedys and Rhopies all survived the heat and wind without a murmur. I think they are a lot tougher than we give them credit for. Now the ground is soft I have been frantically digging holes anywhere there is a vacant space and will worry about what to put where later on. I have a few things in those really big plastic pots that are too heavy lift, but I did manage to get one of them planted yesterday. Today, to relieve the pangs of deprivation, I bought a little fern. I have now gone 3 whole weeks without needing to buy a palm. Please dont think you need to stint on any admiration you wish to send my way.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Peachy, I'm impressed already! :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Ari, you'll get your rain, and your dam filled I reckon. Probably in one day. How I wish I had rainy summers. :( They're just blazing hot and sunny, typically with windy easterlies. How I wish for some tropical convection, and some cummulonimbus action in the sky.

Come on and move here.... We can use a better landscaper who can plant something else other than Hibiscus tileaceus 'rubra' :angry: .

Anyway, monsoonal rain today and probably for the next 2 days. There is a low hanging about around Batchelor which helps with the monsoon trough... What a glorious wet day!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari, I would just love to come up to Darwin. I'd probably fall in love with the place and not want to leave. Cyclones scare me though.

I also plant Hibiscus tillaceus var 'rubra" in a lot of my landscapes. They are starting to be planted everywhere over here now. People just love the new red growth and beautiful flowers, and they are cheaper than a golden cane palm to fill in a property border area with that bit of tropicality. They're also incredibly drought tolerant. Aren't they native to the NT?

Well at 11am today we've now equalled yesterday's max of 36C. We went down to 21C lastnight. It's meant to be 39C today, but I reckon we'll scream past that and maybe top somewhere around 42C. It's 36C at the moment with 11% RH and a dewpoint of 1.5C. :( I've got to keep the ground moist!!!!!!!!!

It's too hot to do anything outside and that's frustrating, as they're so much to do. All I can do is go outside and splash some water around.

Best regards

Tyrone

15 minutes later it's 37 and RH 8% DP -1.3C. :angry:

Ari, I would just love to come up to Darwin. I'd probably fall in love with the place and not want to leave. Cyclones scare me though.

I also plant Hibiscus tillaceus var 'rubra" in a lot of my landscapes. They are starting to be planted everywhere over here now. People just love the new red growth and beautiful flowers, and they are cheaper than a golden cane palm to fill in a property border area with that bit of tropicality. They're also incredibly drought tolerant. Aren't they native to the NT?

Cyclones are a part of life.... There are strategies to reduce cyclone damage... But really, they don't happen too often (TOUCH WOOD). I am just unlucky enough to experience 2!!

Yes... those overrated Hibiscus are our NT Native... Yes, they are nice... and yes they are hardy... but when you see rows and rows and rows and rows and rows and rows (should I keep going??) of them planted EVERYWHERE... it is getting VERY VERY annoying.... It is like golden canes and weeping rosewood!!!!! I have a few myself, and now contemplating to pull them out and plant something else...

There is push to plant NT native plants here... which I don't mind. But instead of planting varieties of NT Natives, they just plant ... yes... you guess it, Hibiscus tillaceus 'rubra'.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Today was to be a tidy up day and do some much needed weeding and cutting back the climbers and ramblers that have gone insane lately. I had just started on the bed along the front of the house and down came the rain.....by the tankfull. Eased up a bit (not stopped tho) about 4 so I went out and dug up a ton of weeds. Tomorrow I will try to finish it off and dig a few more holes if my rapidly crumbling vertabrae permit. As someone who has only seen photos of Hibiscus tillaceus var rubra, and never being able to find one here anywhere, its been relegated to the dream garden of my imagination, along with a thousand other plants I cant find or cant grow. At least my Livistona rotundifolia seems to be getting bigger by the day. Supposed to be more rain again tomorrow, here's hoping. The ground is just swallowing it up as fast as it can fall, no run off and no muddy areas either for a change. I guess it must have really dehydrated after so long without rain and all the terrible heat we had. The rotten little Veitchia joannis is putting up its first spear in 2 and half years, I only noticed as I was just about to dig it out and fling it, so it gets one last chance.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Peachy, Veitchia joannis LOVE water. That's probably why it's growing again.

Best regards

Tyrone

Tropical low is forming close to Darwin again... it has been dumping rain all day yesterday.... not as heavy as Laurence though, which is good in a way...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

15 minutes later it's 37 and RH 8% DP -1.3C. :angry:

Tyrone,

That is real dry. The temperature is quite common here in the dry season though. It has been cloudy and raining off an on all day. It has been a real Amazonian winter type of day. I plan on getting over to my country place this week. I have not been there for a while. I am sure I will see a lot of new growth going on since it has been raining for nearly a month now.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Probably lots of weeds too, Don.. like my place at the moment..

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari,

My mother in law has been busy cleaning things up. I guess I will find out when I get there.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Lucky you, Don.... I can't keep up with the weeds at the moment... and we mulch heavily too... imagine if we don't :blink:

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari,

She is good with a machete and a sharp hoe. I don´t really mulch much of anything. In the secondary forest area you just have to keep the small trees from getting bigger. And, that is about a 2 times a year job.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

My big hibiscus tree (4m high x 3m wide) has totally vanished under a tangle of morning glory. That stuff is just impossible to eradicate. The bed between the driveway and the lawn is my next target. Weeds average one metre with some over 2 metres. I have to mulch so heavily just to keep them under control. (doesnt affect the morning glory however) With a bit of pushing and shoving I can get 2 bales of lucerne in the boot of tojo's revenge, 2 in the back seat and one sitting upright (with a seat belt to hold it in place) on the front passenger seat. Normally I have to do this trip twice a week in summer. The men at the suppliers think its quite a joke seeing a little car full of hay driving off up the freeway. Had some rain last night and this morning was very overcast and humid. Its like breathing underwater so as much as the spirit is willing, the body just cant go outside today and dig out more bloody weeds. I ran out of mulch yesterday and I am still without the car so I guess weeding is pointless as they grow back in a couple of days in this weather. I am still looking for a ground cover that will succeed here that I actually can bear to look at. My bright idea with the syngonium as ground cover became yet another weed disaster and now it too is absolutely everywhere, hiding parts of the house and the biggest of the roystoneas . (approx 7m) I am yet to be able just to sit and admire my pretty palms.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Peachy...

I used 300 bales of hay this year... that is 150 more than last year... I bet when I have finished setting up my garden bed, it will be 400-500 bales.. The mulch man knows our house REALLY WELL!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

It's 36 and too hot to be outside at the moment. When it cools down to about 33C I'll go out there and start potting up some Dypsis plumosa. You must be happy with that name now Ari. Much better than FAKEY. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

I think I hate the name more because of Michael... Ask him why next time you talk to him, Tyrone.... Mine are doing very well... maybe time to update the photos soon.

Regards, Ari

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I'll ask Michael about that Ari.

I couldn't wait for it to cool down in the end and just went out in the heat. It was still 34C at 7.30pm. It's just gone below 30C at 9.20 pm. I've got the sprinklers going overtime at the moment. No rain in sight. 38C tomorrow with strong dry easterlies. :(

Best regards

Tyrone