IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Summer time south of the equator

peachy

As it is now summer and the old spring topic section was getting to be a magnum opus I thought it a good time to start off a new page so to speak. Yesterdays rainfall celebrations turned out a bit premature. I decided to plant a few things and once I got 2cms below the surface the ground was still bone dry and this was after I had the sprinklers running on monday. However inspite of the meagre rain and hand hosing, the palms are taking off big time. I get a shock when I really look hard at some of them. So far the best performers are Livistona fulva, Livistona rotundifolia and Dysis gracilis sp pink crownshaft. Pritchardia hillebrandtii sp blue dwarf has grown steadily through winter and is about to burst forth again. Last of all the fast growers is surprisingly Licuala grandis. Its opened 2 leaves already and a 3rd little spear is poking its nose out. What are your speed demons so far this summer and is Ma Nature being kind or cruel in your part of the planet ?

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

37C today and tomorrow. I've got to go and install retic, plants large plants and mulch today. :(

No rain either. Anyway, palms going mental are Hyophorbe indica, bottles and spindles, Veitchia joannis, Foxy Ladies, Princess Palms, Foxtails, Archontophoenix fruiting everywhere, Dypsis pembana's and lanceolata's have all hit overdrive, as have the Carpies, Dypsis utilis, crinita and fibrosa are all opening red new leaves, Chambeyronia's are opening red new leaves, Solitaires and Macarthurs are all looking fine. My Dypsis sp fineleaf is flowering like mad, and of course the coconut, now two years in the ground is getting bigger and bigger and is in top gear. I'm looking forward to watering tonight. Very therapeutic after a stinking hot day.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Lovely weather here for tourists, but we need a little rain...hopefully these forecast storms will track over my garden this time!

Forecast for Friday

Fine, light to moderate SE winds and an afternoon NE sea breeze.

Fire Danger: High [12-24]

Precis: Fine

City: Max 29

Bayside: Max 28

UV Alert: 7:20 am to 3:50 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 15 [Extreme]

Saturday Chance of late thunderstorm. Min 19 Max 30

Sunday Chance of late thunderstorm Min 20 Max 31

Monday Possible afternoon thunderstorm Min 21 Max 32

Tuesday Fine Min 22 Max 33

Wednesday Mostly fine Min 22 Max 33

Thursday Mostly fine Min 23 Max 34

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

A bit of dry ridge after afternoon storms for the last 5 days... I hope things will pick up on the weekend, otherwise I have to start watering again....

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Hi all

Well its non-stop rain here on the otherside of the Indian! 6 days solid and counting...ahhh to see the sun again! Forcast is not pretty, rain all the way to next week thursday, so far!

The river in the back garden was packed with fish but now I reckon they have all been flushed! oh well..

Musa somethingoranother...enjoying the wet

Musa.jpg

My R.rivularis getting a proper soaking (on the island)

Riverandrriv.jpg

View from the house

Fromthedeck.jpg

Hope you guys get some soon!

Edited by PalmsZA

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Dennis, Wow, rain. Is that what it looks like again. :)

Daryl, I envy your minimums. Nice and warm. Must be all the moisture you have in the atmosphere over there.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Another 2 hot sunny days behind me and more to come....damn it. I can only water very early in the mornings now, late afternoons are out as the mozzies are back with a vengeance. Dennis if I had your river I wouldnt have to worry about rain so much. Sometimes I sit here and look at all that water flowing just across the street and no way for me to get at it. I am housebound too, something is wrong with the car, green stuff is pouring out of it. A friend is bringing his car over later so at least I will have wheels for the weekend. As always I am out of potting mix, compost, perlite, fertiliser etc etc etc. Tyrone I looked my princess palms today and they really have grown a lot lately, as have the trachies and clinostigmas. This weeks real surprise was my little poxy....he has shot up about 20 centimetres since I last took notice. V. johannis (joannis ?) and the carpies still have the same spear as they had 6 months ago. A tad longer but nothing really noticable. Philodendrons are going mad though. I might get my jungle effect yet.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Another 2 hot sunny days behind me and more to come....damn it. I can only water very early in the mornings now, late afternoons are out as the mozzies are back with a vengeance. Dennis if I had your river I wouldnt have to worry about rain so much. Sometimes I sit here and look at all that water flowing just across the street and no way for me to get at it. I am housebound too, something is wrong with the car, green stuff is pouring out of it. A friend is bringing his car over later so at least I will have wheels for the weekend. As always I am out of potting mix, compost, perlite, fertiliser etc etc etc. Tyrone I looked my princess palms today and they really have grown a lot lately, as have the trachies and clinostigmas. This weeks real surprise was my little poxy....he has shot up about 20 centimetres since I last took notice. V. johannis (joannis ?) and the carpies still have the same spear as they had 6 months ago. A tad longer but nothing really noticable. Philodendrons are going mad though. I might get my jungle effect yet.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Hi Peachy. I hope you get mobile soon.

Your carpies and Veitchia's should be flying at the moment. Maybe it's the lack of soil moisture. I have a bore here and my plants want for nothing, so maybe that's the difference. Your temps are way better than mine year round.

37C today, and fullsun. We missed any chance of thunderstorms too. If we were 400km further north we'd probably get some.

Best regards

Tyrone

Got a tiny 4mm yesterday... better than nothing though.... Dry air has moved in, unfortunately.... I think I have to turn my bore on this afternoon.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

It's nearly 37C out there now. Mid forties under the patio. Time to stay inside. Tahina's are loving the heat under the patio.

Best regards

Tyrone

39 today !!! There's a thunder storm going on outside right now but there doesnt seem to be any rain in it so far. Terribly windy today as well, just the kind of thing to dehydrate the plants even further. I did all my running about and got my supplies in and even had time to duck out to a bush nursery that I often patronise. She has 3 huge old Caryota mitis out there that I always look at with envious eyes. Bought a few nice cordylines out there that should go well here. I dont have a bore, divorced him 12 years ago. Finally we are allowed to use sprinklers again after heaven knows how many years, but only after 4pm and before 8am. Looks like I will have to get batteries for the torch and some more dettol for my toad sprayer. The Livistona gawdonlyknowsii beside the driveway entrance has really taken off lately, rarely gets watered but something is happening that it must like. Got a shock when the car arrived. It has gears !!! Not only gears but 5 of the damned things. The car is only 6 months old so I was really surprised. I didnt know they still made manual cars. I have go out again tomorrow, a friend is giving me some bromeliads, hot its not too hot again.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Here is what it is like for the weekend in my part of the south side of the Equator. Unfortunately I am going up north to Houston and to my home town of Great Falls, Montana, USA. It should be around - 10 or so when I get there on Wednesday. And, it snowed in Houston yesterday. Oh well that is weather. And, I have not cold weather clothes to take along. Thankfully my dad has some in Montana.

Dec5-1.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

I dont have a bore, divorced him 12 years ago.

This bore is good... helps me rehydrate the plants... :winkie:

Got a bit more rain today.. not as much as I would like, only 5.5mm... but better than nothing... as Darwin city didn't get any..

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Had a nice warm night around 95% humidity. Going for 31C today. Should be nice. Going to see The B-52's, Mental As Anything, and the Proclaimers at Sandalford winery this arvo, so I'm glad it's not 37C like yesterday.

Best regards

Tyrone

As long as it is not raining while you are there, Tyrone... lol.

Things start to fire up out there... thank goodness... I need to mulch and I can't do it in this heat. At the moment it is pretty close to 40 deg out there with around 50% humidity!!!! STEAMY!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Yet another windy, stinking hot day in the high 30s. I have lost a few seedlings and some of the juvenile palms are burning. I put the aechmea blanchettiana into the full sun as recommended and it fried. I think its history. Been running the sprinkler as its too hot outside for hand hosing but the ground is now full of cracks and the water just runs down and disappears. If I could plant some stuff I think it would cut down on the losses. Tomorrow's forecast is for more of the same, no wonder they call this the suicide season.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Back to the heat from Friday on. It's been high twenties here lately, and a gale force seabreeze in the afternoon due to the high pushing in. Mid to high thirties for at least 4 days from Fri on and mins around 20C which is warm for us. No rain though. :( Haven't had rain for a while. B52's concert was great lastnight. It was a balmy night in a dry county :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Low 20's with some reasonable rain overnight...about 14mm or so. More forecast for Thursday. It's overcast and not hot... warming back up mid next week though. Makes working in the yard bearable.... and the palms are roaring along right now.

Regards

Michael.

Edited by Miccles

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

We had a hot, humid day ranging from 28c on the coast to 39c out at Penrith. The hot air was blasted out by a vigorous southerly in the evening with low cloud and drizzle, then a thunderstorm at about 10pm.

Apparently the southerly will weaken by the time it reaches the southern Northern Rivers later tomorow; probably won't make it to the Qld border.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

Hot hot hot and dry.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Here's the forecast for Perth.

Forecast for Wednesday

A sunny day. Winds tending fresh S/SW'ly.

Precis: Sunny.

City: Max 27

Mandurah: Max 26

UV Alert: 8:00 am to 4:20 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 12 [Extreme]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: HIGH

Hills: HIGH

Forecast for Thursday

A sunny day. Moderate to fresh E/SE winds easing during the morning. Winds

becoming S/SW in the afternoon and freshening near the coast.

City: Min 13 Max 29

Mandurah: Min 14 Max 27

Friday Hot. Sunny. Min 16 Max 33

Saturday Very hot. Sunny. Min 20 Max 37

Sunday Very hot. Partly cloudy. Min 21 Max 38

Monday Humid. Partly cloudy. Min 21 Max 29

Tuesday Partly cloudy. Min 19 Max 26

Those lazy days of summer are here. It's a dry county.

Best regards

Tyrone

42 under the carport again. Not even a hint of rain and the a/c is in overdrive.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Got almost 10mm yesterday... and I though we would get hammered again today, but it didn't happen... Hopefully more tomorrow...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

It's going to be a hot few days here. They're a cyclone brewing up north too. Here we go.

Forecast for Friday

A hot, sunny day. Moderate to fresh E'ly winds easing during the morning. Winds

becoming S/SW during the afternoon and freshening near the coast.

City: Min 16 Max 33

Mandurah: Min 16 Max 29

UV Alert: 8:00 am to 4:20 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 12 [Extreme]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: HIGH

Hills: HIGH

Saturday Very hot. Sunny. Min 20 Max 37

Sunday Very hot. Partly cloudy. Min 22 Max 39

Monday Humid. Partly cloudy. Min 21 Max 31

Tuesday Cloudy periods. Min 17 Max 27

Wednesday Partly cloudy. Min 14 Max 25

Best regards

Tyrone

It looks like the rainy season has started in Manaus now. This morning it was raining and cool with rain forecast for the next week off an on. I hope so.

Here in Great Falls, Montana where I am now it is a pleasant minus 11 C with the wind out of the sw at 33 kms per hour. Just a real heat wave.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Here the weather seems undecided between tradewind season and wet season.

More than a week now of blustery 20 knot winds with gusts of around 30 to 40 knots like most of the last few months but with the moisture of low clouds and drizzle. We have only received and inch or 2 of rain (50mm or so) but at least it is not dry as humidity is 90% and temps are mid 20C or around 80F.

This A.maxima is outside my office window and has looked like this for most of the last few months without any real rain since early September. It cops a beating but doesn't seem to mind.

Now we are hoping for the convergence zone to drop down with the high pressure patterns ceasing soon so the real rains can start.

More rain and cloud means less chance of a strong cyclone coming onshore. Bring on the summer please.

Jim

post-710-1260466515_thumb.jpg

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

Jim, the high pressure zones in the area bring you strong winds too. We get the strong winds, but of course no rain because the easterlies we get are land breezes. It's interesting that you want the highs to drop further south too. In our case if they go south, the easterlies drop out, it gets way hotter, the MSL pressure drops a tad, we get more convection from the north which can bring welcome rain though never enough, and if the heat troughs move to the east of us, we get high humidity and warm nights which the palms love. That transition from winter to summer can produce some strong easterlies and yoyoing temps at times as the winds go through full 360 degree direction changes in a few days. When the highs back out of the way, we just generally get land breezes and seabreezes due to standard local convection.

Enough of my weather ramblings.

Best regards

Tyrone

Here the weather seems undecided between tradewind season and wet season.

More than a week now of blustery 20 knot winds with gusts of around 30 to 40 knots like most of the last few months but with the moisture of low clouds and drizzle. We have only received and inch or 2 of rain (50mm or so) but at least it is not dry as humidity is 90% and temps are mid 20C or around 80F.

This A.maxima is outside my office window and has looked like this for most of the last few months without any real rain since early September. It cops a beating but doesn't seem to mind.

Now we are hoping for the convergence zone to drop down with the high pressure patterns ceasing soon so the real rains can start.

More rain and cloud means less chance of a strong cyclone coming onshore. Bring on the summer please.

Jim

I believe friends of mine are heading your way, or even already have been, Jim?? How often do you get cyclone there??

There is a low pressure system 380km north east of Darwin heading west southwest... It has dumped a lot of rain to town yesterday... we get a bit, but not as much as I would like... Although it did provide cloud cover and I think it will be cloudy today too. Hopefully it will persist and continue on its track to WA and drag the monsoon trough down to us... hence early monsoon before Christmas... IT WILL BE NICE!!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Still the same here, around 40C with strong dry hot winds. No matter how much I try to keep up the water quite few things are dehydrating and getting that about to die dessicated look. Zero humidity too. Lost a few of my new seedlings that up till now had been thriving. There is supposed to be a storm with rain tonight, but I will believe it when I see it. Not only the plants suffer, my poor poochie boys are bursting for a run in the park but its just too hot for them, and of course for me too. I seem to be asleep most of the time, feel so drained and lifeless. I have always hated this kind of weather, it makes me so homesick for dear old Melbourne.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Poor poochie boys...... :( can you give them a frozen hindquarter or something to take their minds off the heat ??

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

37C tomorrow. I put a 19mm hose on the bore and watered everything by hand to make sure I got all the dry spots. I need to make some modifications to the retic to help eliminate any dryspots. 39C on Sunday and I expect some things to start burning. I planted some bromeliads yesterday in part shade yesterday, but for a few minutes close to midday they get fullsun. Even after one day the red colouring has doubled in intensity. I hope they don't burn this weekend.

Best regards

Tyrone

64.8mm today... according to my under calibrated weather station... I can't be bothered checking my manual rain gauge... it is a bit wet out there... The frogs are singing merrily. Scott went out there and killed 8 cane toads around the dam. Yuck...

Can't complain... a good day... 25 deg with 95% humidity... BEAUTIFUL DARWIN WET SEASON WEATHER!!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Last nights big storm was probably just a headline grabber. A bit of thunder and lightning, then the whole show was over in under 10 minutes with not a drop of rain. It's a very warm morning so I doubt if the promised cooler weekend will eventuate either. Michael the furry babies love the a/c and have plenty of toys and their own tv, so dont feel too sorry for them. As I woke up so early today, I took them over to the park, they walked around for 5 minutes and then wanted to go home. Little stinkers. Tyrone I put my 'full sun' Aechmea blanchettiana in full sun and it fried the first day. It had been in half day sun before that, but unlike mad dogs and englishmen, it cant go out in the midday sun it seems. According to weather maps (which make as much sense to me as chinese graffiti) a pressure system in NSW is supposed to send unsettled weather bring rain for the next 4 days. Meteorology was a subject I was never any good at (like most nearly all the other ones as well) but looking out the window, there's blue skies, no cloud, so not very promising.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Hhmmm peachy, your aechmea should be fine in the full sun!!! It will get better and the burnt leaves will die off and the new ones will emerge stronger and redder... Let me know if you still want the orange ones.. I can send a sucker to you when I have one small enough to send.

Anyway, Darwin is still under the influence of tropical low... IT IS GREAT!!!! 138mm so far and still going!!!!!! Loving it!! Although, I can't go out there and plant... maybe when it is a bit less heavy

BTW, I should've saved last night image... it was more impressive... but to give you idea on how the low is progressing... It is right on top of Darwin at the moment.

post-512-1260569205_thumb.jpg

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Just checked the radar before coming on Palmtalk and there is a decent spin to the system over Darwin at the moment. It wouldn't surprise me if it's already a category 1 now. That's a decent amount of rain for less than 24hrs. I think you've got much more coming too. :)

Peachy your area and mine gets extremely high UV reaching the ground this time of year, so I'm not surprised at the burning of pretty much anything. Perth normally has cloudless summers with UV and evaporation rates much higher than even Darwin this time of year, so I'm kind of set up for it. With your cloudless summer and at a closer position to the equator than me by 400km, you'd be getting some pretty savage UV intensities and temps. Hang in there.

Best regards

Tyrone

151.5mm now and still coming... the dam is filling up!!! The ground is waterlogged now... as the water just run off to the dam... The drainage seems to be working well (touch wood).

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Just checked the radar before coming on Palmtalk and there is a decent spin to the system over Darwin at the moment. It wouldn't surprise me if it's already a category 1 now. That's a decent amount of rain for less than 24hrs. I think you've got much more coming too. :)

Peachy your area and mine gets extremely high UV reaching the ground this time of year, so I'm not surprised at the burning of pretty much anything. Perth normally has cloudless summers with UV and evaporation rates much higher than even Darwin this time of year, so I'm kind of set up for it. With your cloudless summer and at a closer position to the equator than me by 400km, you'd be getting some pretty savage UV intensities and temps. Hang in there.

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone,

UV forecasts for tomorrow...

Perth 12

Darwin 14

Brisbane 16

The sun has a real kick to it lately!

We just had a week of humid 32-37C weather...palms are struggling everywhere due to lack of rain. We could sure do with some of Ari's rain.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

That's some strong sunlight intensities. We've already had some 14-16 readings.

Another bit of info for the same locations for Dec so far

Perth 9.4mm average daily evaporation 12.6hrs average daily sun

Brisbane 9.0mm avg daily evap 12.2 hrs avg daily sun

Darwin 9.8mm avg daily evap 7.7 hrs avg daily sun

Best regards

Tyrone

Hotter than the forecast predicted again today. Of course I need not add that the promised rain of last night and today have not eventuated once again. The temps dropped a lot about 5 this evening but the wind is still nasty. A lot of plants that have never burnt before are burning this year, even some of the older palms have bleached spots. I was able to switch off the a/c this evening first time in over a week. Oh and my lovely Marojejya darianii that has been doing so well for 12 months, gave up the ghost today. I am really disappointed as it was a favourite. I am not going to replace it unless this weather does a major about face. Yes Ari, orange or red blanchettianas are welcome.

Peachy

27.35 south.