IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dec.1,2009-Feb.15,2010

bubba

Dec.1,2009-Kendall,Fl.-83F.

Dec. 2,2009-Boca,Fl-87F

I am busy and need help. Please chip in and all disputes will either be neglected or settled by coin toss.

What you look for is what is looking

Dec.3, 2009-Ft. Lauderdale,Fl-88F.

Happ, I need some help! What was the temperature at that Wild Animal Kingdom that is always something like 99F/15F.

Steve, What the Jim Hogg is going down in Texas? Snow? Brownsville a high of 44F.? Is the middle of the earth freezing? Is this blue Norther coming to Florida to ruinate all our Cocos nucifera?

Dec.1,2009-Kendall,Fl.-83F.

Dec. 2,2009-Boca,Fl-87F

I am busy and need help. Please chip in and all disputes will either be neglected or settled by coin toss.

You're busy? C'mon Bubba, you must have TOO much time on your hands to keep track of this stuff. :winkie:

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Dec.3, 2009-Ft. Lauderdale,Fl-88F.

Happ, I need some help! What was the temperature at that Wild Animal Kingdom that is always something like 99F/15F.

Steve, What the Jim Hogg is going down in Texas? Snow? Brownsville a high of 44F.? Is the middle of the earth freezing? Is this blue Norther coming to Florida to ruinate all our Cocos nucifera?

You're thinking of the Wild Animal Park in Northern SD County. It can be the top temp in the country during Santa Ana events. It sometimes ties with the Santa Ana fire station in Orange County. If there is no SA wind, it probaby won't be the top temp in the area in the winter time. In the summer, it would be in the running for the top temp outside the desert areas. If you are looking for the top non-Santa Ana wind event temps in SoCal, check out Palm Springs. Temps there are usually in the 70s.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Dec. 4, 2009- Kendall,Fl.-85F.

Looked up Palm Springs and it was 66F yesterday.

Sorry I am late in reporting temps but highest maximums haven't been very warm this past week [mostly 70's]. And this coming week will be very chilly in California. Yesterday was only in the low 70's in warmest areas of coastal California [san Pasqual\ Wild Animal Pk: 76F\ 24.4C].

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Dec. 5, 2009- Kendall,Fl-83F- Kendall is about as close to Fairchild as possible.

Dec. 6, 2009- Opalaka, Fl.-80F. When is the rest of the country warming up?

Dec. 7, 2009- West Kendall, Fl.-84F. Had to throw out an unlikely report of 95F at Punta Gorda. Does anybody know if it really got to 95F at Punta Gorda yesterday?

NOAA reports Punta gorda hit 96 yesterday.

doesnt sound right to me, when Ft. Myers hit 76 as a high.

Edited by FRITO

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Dec. 7, 2009- West Kendall, Fl.-84F. Had to throw out an unlikely report of 95F at Punta Gorda. Does anybody know if it really got to 95F at Punta Gorda yesterday?

Per intellicast.com in Punta Gorda yesterday - I can't believe it

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Observati...cation=USFL0421

3:53 PM, Mon

7 December 2009 91° 63° 39% 30.09in 10mi Unl W

7mph NA Clear

2:53 PM, Mon

7 December 2009 90° 64° 42% 30.09in 10mi Unl WSW

10mph NA Clear

1:53 PM, Mon

7 December 2009 95° 63° 34% 30.09in 10mi Unl WSW

9mph NA Clear

12:53 PM, Mon

7 December 2009 92° 62° 37% 30.09in 10mi Unl SE

7mph NA Clear

11:53 AM, Mon

7 December 2009 91° 62° 38% 30.12in 10mi Unl ESE

5mph NA Clear

10:53 AM, Mon

7 December 2009 90° 64° 42% 30.12in 10mi Unl SE

10mph NA Scattered Clouds

10:25 AM, Mon

7 December 2009 90° 66°

Bill

Zone 9A - West Central Florida in Valrico

East of Brandon and Tampa

Dec. 8, 2009- Houston, we have a problem. Punta Gorda reported 89F. McAllen,Tx. reported 88F.

Now I will say that numerous stations across South Florida were reporting 90F but man are we in a pickle. Just how are we ever going to get out of this one alive?

Dec. 9,2009- West Palm,Fl-90F. I can tell you for a fact it was hot. This is starting to look like Christmas in the RGV. When is it going to start boiling in other places? Where is the RGV? What about the Springs? What about the Wild Animal Farm? What gives?

Dec.11,2009-Key West,Fl.-84F.

I need imput from some of the weather gurus about El Nino and its possible effect this year. Specifically, it seems that South Florida has missed the brunt of the fronts that have passed through. It almost seems like a retrograde to a period way back when it did not seem to get cold here at all.

What is it? Is it just that the Southern Jet is shielding So.Fla.? How long will it last?

its el nino, we have a 'shield' here in the deep south.

I am still zone 10b, my low has been 35 this winter, no frost yet!

lots of rain!

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Bubba,

I am here in the continental US right now. And, it is anything but warm. The high tomorrow will be around 10 below zero F. It will be nice to get into Miami on Monday. Back home the start of the rainy season has been impacted by the El Nino to a great degree this year. It looks like they have finally kicked in this week though. At least I can now remember better why I live in the tropics.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Dec.12,2009-Naples/Ft.Lauderdale,Fl.-84F.

Tally is a 10B and it's minus 10F High in Montana. That is weird and that is cold! Hard to believe!

Bubba,

Yes it is real cold. I was raised in this place. And, winter was a normal thing. But, not anymore. I shoveled the walk for my folks this moring. It was quite invigorating to say the least. At least I will be Miami at noon tomorrow.

dk

dksnowshovel.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don, you look entirely out of your habitat but love the snow [at least in photos].

It has been anything but warm in California for about a week. But the rainfall is much appreciated. I think warmest stations have been right along the immediate coast yesterday [Redondo beach: 65F\ Torrance: 67F\ Del Mar: 66F]. Some record cold minimums but mostly in Northern Cal. I have observed 7 days in the 50's this month [more than the entire year].

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Dec. 13,2009-Ft. Pierce,Fl-87F.

Happ, Do you think this will change or do you think this pattern is consistent with El Nino?

Don, You need that picture because your friends in Brazil will not believe you!

Bubba,

I am somewhere between Salt Lake and Atlanta right now en route to MIA. Delta has this new on board internet service and was giving out free trials. So, I am on line and even on Skype with my office in Brazil and called my wife on skyeout on the phone a few minutes ago. My how technology has some interesting developments. I am ready to get back to the tropics. It was great to see my parents. But, the cold was brutal. I was just checking and it is 20 below right now. That is too cold for anyone. It is 104 degrees F diffence from the current temperatures in Manaus. When I was cleaning the walks I would come in and drink some coffee after 15 minutes or so. I remember as a kid it did not even phase me. We were out jumping in the snow drifts.

This picture was taken about 45 minutes ago as my flight passed over Colorado. As you can see the high temperatures there were not too high either. It is very interesting to be able to upload to photobucket and put the picture on the net almost in real time.

dk

overcolorado.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don,

Your picture of the snow capped Rockies may be a new first on PalmTalk, a fresh photograph transmitted from the air. I used to fly into and out of Denver several times a week. It's easy to forget how white it can be in the winter once you get east of the Sierras. I remember stepping off the airplane in San Francisco, and even 50's or 60's felt balmy after sub-zero in Chicago or Denver.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Dec. 13,2009-Ft. Pierce,Fl-87F.

Happ, Do you think this will change or do you think this pattern is consistent with El Nino?

Don, You need that picture because your friends in Brazil will not believe you!

bubba, yes the storms that recently hit California are the El Nino "signature" because of the subtropical source. What isn't very normal during an ENSO is for arctic air to move west after entering the nation. That brought a very cold airmass into California but modified quite a bit in SoCal. The snowstorm in Texas is also a bit uncharacteristic for El Nino so anything can happen but the pattern should be wetter than normal & mild for California\ Texas\ Florida this winter.

Still cold in Cali yesterday. Thermal hit 69F\ 20.5C & low-mid 60's along the coast.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Dec.14,2009-Naples and Okeechobee,Fl.-87F.

Great shots of the Rockies Don and thank you Happ for the imput.

A bit more seasonable today:

West LA: 72F\ 22.2C

Anaheim: 74F\ 23.3C

Riverside: 76F\ 24.4C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Bubba,

It was a nice sight yesterday. Tomorrow morning I am out of here. Out over Cuba, across the Caribbean to Venezuela, and over the mountains into Brazil. It will be nice to get home in the heart of Amazonia.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Dec. 15,2009- Lakeland and Kendall,Fl.-86F

Happ, I understand we expect(hopefully) a cold front next week. Perhaps this hot stuff may be handed off to someone else. Who will it be?

Don, I hope you post some more of those great pictures. Ask the pilot to swoop Cuba so as to allow photos of Copernicia fallense!

Happ, I understand we expect(hopefully) a cold front next week. Perhaps this hot stuff may be handed off to someone else. Who will it be?

Don, I hope you post some more of those great pictures. Ask the pilot to swoop Cuba so as to allow photos of Copernicia fallense!

Kevin is a better source for national forecasts but long-range models trend moisture across the southern tier states. Most of the time that means rain instead of snow. Not much heat anyway in the US except Florida. Surprizingly cold in Texas. Trending warmer here for a few days.

Los Angeles: 75F\ 23.8C

Anaheim: 77F\ 25C

Wild Animal Pk: 77F

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Dec. 16,2009-Kendall,Fl.- 87F. Fairchild Palms must be loving this hot weather. I am ready for a cool down. We got over 4 inches of rain here in the last two days. Yesterday it was almost all at night.

Happ, If your historically warm areas hold up next week,I think that those areas will top South Florida early next week. It has been suprisingly cool in RGV. I saw Brownsville in the mid 40's mid-day yesterday.At any rate,a very strange non-winter for us this year.

Bubba, not much warmth in the US though less cold than it was last week in California. At least NOAA is forecasting above normal rainfal for next month which is good news for the Southwest.

West LA: 77F\ 25C

Anaheim: 81F\ 27.2C

San Pasqual: 80F\ 26.6C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Dec. 17,2009-Naples, Kendall and Key West,Fl.-84F

Cold front is hopefully going to make it through soon so I hope we will be handing this off to Ca., Az. or Tx.

Probably the warmest temps in the nation in California today though I haven't checked Florida readings. How warm was it, Bubba?

West LA: 81F\ 27.2C

Corona: 82F\ 27.7C

Santee: 83F\ 28.3C

San Pasqual: 85F\ 29.4C

Maybe another day or so above 80F but cooling to near normal next week. Wish it would rain! :unsure:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Bubba,

I could not get him to swoop low. But, here is the southern coast of Cuba from 30 some thousand feet.

Cuba.jpg

And, here is a place in the middle of nowhere over southern Venezuela close to the border with Brazil on Wednesday.

suldaVenezuela.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Dec. 18, 2009- First, Wow Don and thanks! Highest in Florida topped at 79F in the Keys. The rain quit and a cold front made it thru. Ca. should have a run for a while as we enjoy California weather. By the way, where is Texas?

Bubba,

My pleasure. It was a nice day to be in the air.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Staying warm in California but it will cool down next week at least for a few days.

Los Angeles: 80F\ 26.6C

Santa Ana: 84F\ 28.8C

San Marcos: 84F

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Dec. 19,2009- 75F. thru the Keyses. Low 70's thru So.Fla. with perhaps upper 60's tomorrow. Great for the early part of the week until a couple of days before Christmas and then 80's.My guess is Happ's locations for the next few days atleast. Where is Texas?

Much cooler today /w light clouds:

Los Angeles: 76F\ 24.4C

Santa Ana: 79F\ 26.1C

Indio: 75F\ 23.8C

Have to hand it back to you, Bubba because some very chilly temps are moving toward California this week.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23