IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

"link missing"

Pivi

For last few weeks i noticed that when I search for some palmtalk topics on google, and when i click on the link i get redirected to http://url123.info/ and it says "link is missing".

But when i click again on the same link in google, palmtalk page opens normally.

I wonder why would palmtalk link redirect me to http://url123.info/ especially when link is ok and it's not missing?

In this particular case i was looking for "www.royalpalmisland.com" and topic on palmtalk came out as first result. Link on google result

By clicking on the firste result i was redirected here http://url123.info/e875cd64

Edited by Pivi

island Vis, adriatic sea, Croatia. Zone 9b/10a

Temperature low last winter: -0.9°C/30.4 F

Temperature low this winter: -0.3°C/31.5 F

-Creating my own little palm heaven-

Dear Peter

you are right,that happens to me too often ! Since i search some of my old threads & topics using google.

And i must say our ips search engine virtually highlights almost all the pages,instead of the one we are searching for..? :hmm:

love,

kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

still happens...

yes it always happen to me since a long time.

the second time is ok

jean-bernard

post-552-1260364719_thumb.jpg

still happens...

Jean-bernard

crazy sower

city : Nantes, France,

Pivi,

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking, but when I search - www.royalpalmisland.com - I am told no such site exists. There is a www.royalpalmisland.net

www.royalpalmisland.com is a legitimate domain, but 'Whois' tells us it has changed IPs twice in a year and Named Servers twice as well.. When sites change their DNS and don't redirect or do so incorrectly, the search records and links are no longer valid.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

you didn't quite understand what i was saying.

I was looking on google for www.royalpalmisland.com. Topic on palmtalk was the first result on google. When i clicked on link that should lead to palmtalk what happens is what i described above.

But it's not just this link. Many palmtalk topic links on google when i click them i get redirected to http://url123.info/ and it says "link is missing". Like this page here http://url123.info/e875cd64

As you can see also happens to Kris, Succulentum... probably to others.

I just searched google for "archontophoenix palmtalk" and the first result was topic on palmtalk. I was again redireted to http://url123.info/ saying "link is missing".

So to clarify, palmtalk links on google are redirected to http://url123.info, saying "link is missing".

If you go back and click again, link is working.

Edited by Pivi

Dear Mod :)

Yes,what peter has said happens to me often.since most of the time i search our old posts & threads using the google search engine,since in our site whenever i search the results has most of my threads which includes all my old birthday wishes thread.So i never use our search engine.

I think our mamagement should ask google as to why its taking searches to that url(stating link missing).And on trying the same thing again its taking us to our site as though in the first instance we have typed a wrong address.

And iam sure the fault lies with google and not our site..Or it could be that some hacker is sitting on our url willfully..with the intent to mislead net users that our site does not exist.

Love,

kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear Mod :)

Yes,what peter has said happens to me often.since most of the time i search our old posts & threads using the google search engine,since in our site whenever i search the results has most of my threads which includes all my old birthday wishes thread.So i never use our search engine.

I think our mamagement should ask google as to why its taking searches to that url(stating link missing).And on trying the same thing again its taking us to our site as though in the first instance we have typed a wrong address.

And iam sure the fault lies with google and not our site..Or it could be that some hacker is sitting on our url willfully..with the intent to mislead net users that our site does not exist.

Love,

Yes Kris, I agree. I don't know what PalmTalk can do to change the way Google handles their indexing. If they report a missing link, when in fact it is not a missing link. That would seem to be their problem, especially if it works on a repeated attempt.

I did check on this about 6 months ago when it was reported to me, because I too was worried about a hacker redirecting traffic. Our ISP could not recreate the problem when using the same address that I had a problem with. So he said there was no problem as far as security was involved.

I'll try to contact Google, but I'm not too hopeful anything will be done.

Kris,

If you are curious, and it would help me out --- try doing some of your searches using Microsoft's new search engine BING. I have been using it off and on. In some areas it has been as good or better than Google.

I would be interested to know if the same errors occur using it. If it is a Google problem, then it will not. Then I can look elsewhere.

Dear Sir :)

thanks for that new information on the search engine.But i did try few on that bing.com.It hardly highlights any of our palmtalk pages.So i would say that search engine is yet to grow.

And i need some time to do some research on the new search engine site.And i will give you feedback in this thread.

Iam surprised that for ever search most of the search sites including bing.com,highlights pages from wikipedia,daves garden,infojardin,PACSOA, www.utopiapalmsandcycads.com,etc..but hardly any page from our site..?

Is our site not popular yet ? :hmm:

To give you exact details i need some time,and i use the search site spontaniously,and from now on i will write down whenever i encounter error for what kind of palm search this kind of error occurs for the pages in our site.

But i have a feeling that both the search sites have side lined our site info & pages from their search dicrectory.

i.e google.com is redirecting us to a wrong Url stating 'missing link' While bing.com is not showing or highlighting the desired pages in the first place ?

Thanks & Love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dean,

I just tried it with bing.com and it also happens there.

i typed archontophoenix site:palmtalk.org and clicked on first result. I was once again redirected to http://url123.info/e875cd64

I went back, clicked again on the same link and then it worked.

We should first see what is page http://url123.info all about.

That page is related to shrinking links and redirecting, but why is palmtalk in it and why are palmtalk links redirected to that page.

Maybe someone from google would know more about that site, and why are links from google redirected to that site, reporting they are missing.

ps. Kris, it does show results from palmtalk, you just have to use it on a different way.

Like limiting the search results only for palmtalk site. You do that using "site:palmtalk.org" after the keyword.

For example "archontophoenix site:palmtalk.org".

Edited by Pivi

ps. Kris, it does show results from palmtalk, you just have to use it on a different way.

Like limiting the search results only for palmtalk site. You do that using "site:palmtalk.org" after the keyword.

For example "archontophoenix site:palmtalk.org".

Dear Peter :)

Yes,i did try again using your method and yes its taking us to that wiered URL ? And hats of to you my friend,you are fast as the bikes you drive. :winkie:

And i must accept that may be iam growing old.. :hmm::lol:

Thanks for teaching me the around about.. :greenthumb:

Love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris you know your way around great :greenthumb: