Sign in to follow this  
Rafael

Cunninghamiana or Alexandrae

Rafael

Hi people,

I would like anyone to help with the id of this beautiful archontophoenix, please.

post-3292-1259104212_thumb.jpg

Tyrone

Purple flowers mean cunninghamiana, and a nice one too.

Best regards

Tyrone

joe_OC

That would be A. cuninghamiana...pink/purple inflorescence, and the color of the crownshaft tells me so.

Walter John

You canna handa mana greata banga

Davidl

Looks like cunninghamiana to me as well. I have one about the same size that I think will seed next summer for the first time.

Gtlevine

Cunningham for sure. Alexander retains green trunk for long time close to crownshaft.

peachy

See Rafael, I told you so.

Peachy

DoomsDave

King palm, bangalow, whatever, the purple flowers say it all.

Rafael

Wal, you might be cool, if i would understand of course!

Edited by rafael

joe_OC
You canna handa mana greata banga

Australian for Cunninghamiana!

Rafael

Here is a question i would like to be answered: this palm is morning sun sided, and will face, sometimes, light frost.

I am thinking about buying another one. Should i put her sun morning protected, as also maritime winds facing? What is better?

Edited by rafael

Palmə häl′ik

How 'bout a Alex x Cunny hybrid! That's the best of both worlds right there!

Rafael

Ray, i am talking about a mature one.

And wonder the better place to plant it, as i said.

Rafael

In the above posts, most people said it was cunninghamiana, but, after some few freeze (twice -3,8ºC, twice -2,6ºC) and less frost (maybe twice heavy and twice light) episodes, this lovely palm behave like you can check.

As far as i was told, and as far as i read about it, a cunninghamiana does not burn so much with this kind of climate episodes, and its frequency.

So, my doubt returns again: am i an alexandrae's or a cunninghamiana's owner?

In the meanwhile, i am hoping a fast and strong recovery! :drool:

post-3292-12660118002681_thumb.jpg

Jason Baker Portugal

Rafael,

It looks like a cunnighamiana to me. If you got it in arcozelo it is probably a cunn.... because I have never seen alex´s there. A. cunn does burn as well at those temps especially in the open like yours. If it comes back it is a A. cunn. A alex doesn´t come back that well from a hard freeze. abraço Jason

gsn

Two freeze events at 25F in conjunction with two freeze events at 27F with numerous FROSTS ,under no canopy and completely open to the sky,even a cunninghamia IMHO would look like the one pictured.

I don't think the damage shown corralates to it being either an alexander or cunninghamia,at those temps and number of freezes either specie would look like yours ,unfortunately.

Good luck with it recovering!

Rafael

Jason: It was bought at arcozelo, yes, and it is quite tall, dificult to canopy protect. Abraço

Scott: We had only two heavy episodes of frost, and two light ones. Curiously, the east side of my house, where this palm is located, did not almost have any frost! Besides that, the open sky situation is almost impossible to avoid, because of the size of the palm!

I did create a topic (http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=21726), weeks ago, at "freeze damage data", concerning to this palm damage, where a friend of us, Walt, said "rafael: Nope. No way, IMO, it's a cunninghamiana, not with that tight crownshaft. Looks like a typical A. alexandrae to me, based on how my own alexandrae palms look".

This guy has palms of both species...

So i become a little confused...

richnorm

Very much a cunn. to my eye. In addition to the purple flowers, the leaflets don't appear to have any silvery colouration on the underside like alex's.

cheers

Richard

Davidl

A.cunninghamiana can look like that even if the temps were higher when they had frost on them. Still looks like a cunninghamiana to me. Also A.alexandrae are not that much different in cold hardiness and if your climate can grow cunninghamiana I would think you would be able to grow alexandrae. I grow both here and can see very little difference in cold hardiness and its not a dramatic difference for sure maybe a degree or two at best.

Edited by Davidl

Rafael

Thanks Richard and David, your opinion means a lot to me.

This mature one has grown a lot between spring and autumn 2009! Maybe six new leafs!

But with this few bad climate episodes turned brown and burned, maybe in 95% of its area!

It was a big disapointment to me, because i thought it was stronger, and it is located in the sheltered side of my yard!

But i bet it will flower again in the summer, :drool:

Edited by rafael