IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Granada, Nicaragua

Jeff in St Pete

Quepos and Manuel Antonio

post-747-1258930767_thumb.jpg

Getting ready to land. The landing strip is in the middle of the African Oil Palm plantations

post-747-1258930800_thumb.jpg

That's all the photos. I hope you enjoyed the tour of Granada.

• Like 1

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Love this armchair travel! :interesting: I've heard Nicaragua is great for surfing, too. Nice survey of the area - palms, architecture, kids, street scene, I love this stuff. Thanks for taking us along for the ride.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

What a beautiful and interesting trip! Thanks for all the photos. Learning more about the world again on the Palmtalk Travel Log forum!

zone 7a (Avg. max low temp 0 to 5 F, -18 to -15 C), hot humid summers

Avgs___Jan__Feb__Mar__Apr__May__Jun__Jul__Aug__Sep__Oct__Nov__Dec

High___44___49___58___69___78___85___89___87___81___70___59___48

Low____24___26___33___42___52___61___66___65___58___45___36___28

Precip_3.1__2.7__3.6__3.0__4.0__3.6__3.6__3.6__3.8__3.3__3.2__3.1

Snow___8.1__6.2__3.4__0.4__0____0____0____0____0____0.1__0.8__2.2

Love this armchair travel! :interesting: I've heard Nicaragua is great for surfing, too. Nice survey of the area - palms, architecture, kids, street scene, I love this stuff. Thanks for taking us along for the ride.

I can only ditto what Kims says. Thanks for sharing with us. BTW, isn't it Lake Nicaragua that has fresh water sharks?

How did you find the food, much different than in Costa Rica?

• Like 1

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Nice Photos, Jeff:

What would be the per capita income of Granada; what are it's monthly average Max./Min. temperatures; what is its elevation, and are there enclaves of Americans in the area?

Great shots!

Paul

Paul, The Palm Doctor @ http://www.thewisegardener.com

Thanks for the nice comments :)

Al, the guide told us that there are sharks in the lake, but only in certain areas.

Paul, I don't really know the answers to your questions. The temperatures was about the same as in Quepos - hot! It cooled off and was comfortable in the evenings though. There does seem to be a community of Americans and other expats living there. Mostly we saw a LOT of backpackers.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Nice Photos, Jeff:

What would be the per capita income of Granada; what are it's monthly average Max./Min. temperatures; what is its elevation, and are there enclaves of Americans in the area?

Great shots!

Paul

Nice trip in Nicaragua Jeff!

As for the income question: it is lower than in Costa Rica, since immigration in Costa Rica proceeding from Nicaragua never stops.

Wages are much lower in Nicaragua , also land. Many friends that have african palm plantations here in Costa Rica have bought very cheap land in Nicaragua and planted oilpalm there, and they are satified with the move.Nicaragua is 3 times larger than Costa Rica.

• Like 1

awesome trip,jeff! the island rental homes were incredible! seeing all the church pix makes me wonder what the culture in that part of the world would have become without european intervention.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

awesome trip,jeff! the island rental homes were incredible! seeing all the church pix makes me wonder what the culture in that part of the world would have become without european intervention.

Without Cristobal Colon......

I can very easily imagine a country with temples , and people adoring statues of "pohonkelapa"...more or less like in the island of Bali nowadays.

Would be a fine tourist attraction :mrlooney: .

where do i sign up for that? :drool:

I heard Indiana Jones is looking for a crew to go back to the next "Temple of Doom"...... :rolleyes:

Thanks Jeff,

Great photos and story as usual with your travel logs.

I really enjoy these armchair trips.

Jim

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

Thanks guys! Glad you enjoyed the photos.

The next time I have to leave the country will be mid February. I'm planning to go to San Andres Island, Columbia. I'll be sure to post photos if I go.

One way or another I plan on getting my Costa Rican residency this year. Once I get that, my traveling out of the country every 90 days will finally stop.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tour Jeff. You are bringing back a lot of memories. I have traveled all over Central America and really loved Nicaragua. The Coast line is amazing as are the waves. I spent a few days in Granada and really loved the old towns like that in central america.

The sharks in Lake Nicaragua are bull sharks which are know to swim far up rivers and are also responsible for more shark attacks than any other shark.

Encinitas, CA

Zone 10b

• 2 weeks later...

Great tour and fantastic photography Jeff! National Geographic should hire you on!! Is the city you were in safe for Americans? (As long as you have a local liaison of course.)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jeff, I loved the pictures of Nicaragua! It has the same feel as Antigua, Guatemala, old, quaint, heavy Spanish influence. Another post asked what would this land be like without the europeans...good question. The Mayans died out somewhere between 900 and 1500 A.D., if there were no Spanish and no Mayans it would probably be African Caribbean, like Livingston, Belice, Haiti, Santo Domingo. Cuba. You'll love San Andres, Colombia I was there a hundred years ago but it is THE place to go for the Colombians when they want to get to the beach. Have fun (and get your residency!). Peter

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Bags, looks like I won't be doing any swimming in rivers in Nicaragua!

Thanks JD, I felt pretty safe there. I walked around alone quite a bit, even at night, and I never felt unsafe.

Peter, I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. Grenada was a fun trip! My plans have changed and I am now going to Jamaica in a couple weeks. San Andres may have to wait until my next trip out of the country. I have a Columbian friend who lives in Costa Rica and he showed me photos of San Andres. It looks like a little island paradise surrounded by calm clear Caribbean water. I WILL get there eventually!

• Like 1