IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Leppidorachis moreana

Tassie_Troy1971

Here's an old pic of one in Dennis Willoughby's garden in San Diego. Pics by Pohonkelapa.

I just realised these pics that Matty posted are of what Dennis I believe has said is his Chatham Island Rhopy...

But I could be entirely wrong..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bill It definately looks like a perfect example of Leppidorachis moreana to me , the Chatham Island Rhopy has a huge crownshaft . Whatever it is its bloody :drool: beautiful !

I will be planting out my little Leppie as soon as i get back !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Oops, maybe I meant Cheesmanii. I 'm so confused now...

See ya soon.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I can grow cheesemanni like weeds, same with baueri. However, lepis need a lot of care here. Neighbourhood cats killed mine. I am still trying to kill the aforementioned cats. My little chatham island is growing well after giving me a heartattack when it lost its only leaf a while ago. It sent up a new one however.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

I can grow cheesemanni like weeds, same with baueri. However, lepis need a lot of care here. Neighbourhood cats killed mine. I am still trying to kill the aforementioned cats. My little chatham island is growing well after giving me a heartattack when it lost its only leaf a while ago. It sent up a new one however.

Peachy

Hi Peachy,Sorry to read that you lost your lep moreana.Ihave not heard of any others growlng in seq, is this the same palm that was in a pot on your driveway?I lost an oraniopsis during the drought and was absolutly devastated but was bouyed by the fact that it could be replaced.I would love to try L moreana but they seem impossible to source.Troy that is one lovely plant ya got there, please keep us up to speed on its progress.Best wishes Craig(Chakoro)

Here's an old pic of one in Dennis Willoughby's garden in San Diego. Pics by Pohonkelapa.

I just realised these pics that Matty posted are of what Dennis I believe has said is his Chatham Island Rhopy...

But I could be entirely wrong..

Trunk looks quite smooth for a lepi.so maybe it is a Rhopy!

Oops, maybe I meant Cheesmanii. I 'm so confused now...

See ya soon.

I thought that is what Dennis said it was.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

• 2 months later...

OK everyone it's been one year nearly to the day since my last posted pic of my leppidorachis so here she is today ,been planted out for a few months and growing strong in cool Tasmania ! :D

post-1252-030378600 1290219146_thumb.jpg

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Wow Troy, that looks great!

You should see Jonathan's Leppie Bill better than mine . They seem to suit our climate really well .

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

:greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb: Excellent work Troy, looking really healthy.

This species is on my wish list so I will have a complete Lord Howe collection.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

Nice going Troy! I hope I live long enouph to grt seeds from you :drool:

I am sure you will the way you run up that big hill behind San clemente ! :D

Seed = Hell every year it survives is a bonus for this palm ! it is kept very moist all year and fed with liquid seaweed only !

Good luck tomorrow for the Palm meeting Bob !

Thanks Bill S -is yours still doing ok ?

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Something to aim for - in habitat 2005:

LHIwGowerLepis.JPG

Lost my pinnate Lepi to a heatwave two years ago. It noticed that conditions were not a constant 8 - 16 degrees C and that atmospheric humidity was entirely absent.

Tasmania seems a way better bet for this palm. Looking good!

Troy- I was a bit worried when we had 2 days over 95F here in the past 3-4 weeks, but both seem to be doing OK. Heck, I'm having fun doing night shots, I'll think I'll go snap one or two..

Long way before mine is seeding too, but Pauleens may be at it.

Anyone know?

Here ya go Troy...hot off the camera with Pepsi can for scale and back up one in the pot behind... :D

post-27-068238200 1290236502_thumb.jpg

Something to aim for - in habitat 2005:

LHIwGowerLepis.JPG

Lost my pinnate Lepi to a heatwave two years ago. It noticed that conditions were not a constant 8 - 16 degrees C and that atmospheric humidity was entirely absent.

Tasmania seems a way better bet for this palm. Looking good!

Hi Jo,

The Lepi you gave me a few years ago is still small but doing OK. As you know my garden is a bit more like a temperate rainforest and some of the more difficult palms like Chamaedorea deckeriana can survive here ....but growth rates are low.

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

You should see Jonathan's Leppie Bill better than mine . They seem to suit our climate really well .

Any chance of a pic Jonathan ?

Great palm this, I'll leave it to others to grow though.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Here ya go Troy...hot off the camera with Pepsi can for scale and back up one in the pot behind... :D

post-27-068238200 1290236502_thumb.jpg

Thats a good sized one Bill doing very well - don't overdose it on Sugar with too many Colas :mrlooney:

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

OK everyone it's been one year nearly to the day since my last posted pic of my leppidorachis so here she is today ,been planted out for a few months and growing strong in cool Tasmania ! :D

post-1252-030378600 1290219146_thumb.jpg

Troy, a very cool looking palm in a cool climate. Take advantage of your climate and plant more. Don't think I'd have much chance with a Leppi here so I'm with Wal on this one and leave it to those who have appropriate climates to grow it. My guess that in Hawaii it very likely could be grown in areas like Volcano on the Big Island.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

• 8 months later...

Ok here is a mid winter update taken this arvo of my Lepidorachis . It is a good steady grower all through the cooler months down here . :D

post-1252-026200300 1313218627_thumb.jpg

It has to be one of the easiest palm to grow in my garden . i feed it a mixture of liquid seaweed and fish emulsion every 2 weeks . Only organic fertilizer for this one as advised by Darold Petty .

Another angle

post-1252-045921200 1313219002_thumb.jpg

Cheers Troy

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Well done,Troy!!!

What were your min. and max. temperatures this winter? :hmm:

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Well done,Troy!!!

What were your min. and max. temperatures this winter? :hmm:

Alberto

This has been the coldest winter i have had here at Old Beach a few weeks ago we had a light frost and -0.8 C usually never below freezing . nornal minimum are 4-9c maximums are 11-15 c

• Upvote 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

• 5 months later...

Taken today updated pic

post-1252-083597900 1327190008_thumb.jpg

Another seedling i have growing in full sun !

post-1252-085113200 1327190065_thumb.jpg

These palms seem really suited to high lattitude oceanic climates .

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Taken today updated pic

Looking really great Troy... :greenthumb:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Taken today updated pic

Awesome.

More should be tried around the San Francisco Bay Area as well as other spots along the California coast.

Taken today updated pic

Awesome.

More should be tried around the San Francisco Bay Area as well as other spots along the California coast.

Glenn gave me a beaut that is betting to be shifted into a larger container. It gets very bright eastern exposure here in the swamp-cooler climate and seems happy, if a bit slow. Probably would like a bit more fertilizer than I'm prone to supplying, not to mention a greater root run.

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

I have a couple of seedlings in the greenhouse and a plant at my Mothers place. (I don't know why I didn't plant it here???) I will plant one of the seedlings out the front with the other 3 Lord Howians next Summer.

Here is a video of one that is almost trunking up the road from me.

Michael

Auckland

New Zealand

www.nznikau.com

http://nzpalmandcycad.com

Michael... thats Sensational!!

Taken today updated pic

Awesome.

Glenn gave me a beaut that is betting to be shifted into a larger container. It gets very bright eastern exposure here in the swamp-cooler climate and seems happy, if a bit slow. Probably would like a bit more fertilizer than I'm prone to supplying, not to mention a greater root run.

Great to hear it's doing well Jason. I have a very small one in the ground for the past 2 or 3 years. Frost doesnt bother it but its not happy with my summer heat.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

• 7 years later...

Any update on your Leppie Troy???

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Akamu,.. here are three  from my garden, images taken today.  :)

Oops, file too big, will re-post third image.

IMG_0234.JPG

IMG_0235.JPG

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Wow Darold, you can sure grow these; beautiful! Is that the first flowering for that particular palm?

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Yes, this is the first spadix for this plant.  My first trunking Lepi was killed by nematodes in 2006,  Don Hodel pronounced it the 'best I've seen out of habitat'.  It died about 3 months after his visit.  An interesting detail about the first one was that all the flowers on the first few spadices were staminate only.  This is an example of how evolution prioritizes distributing one's DNA outward.  Here are two images of my first one, with immature seed set.    If the second one acts similar to the first then I should get seed in the next 3 or 4 years.

Nematodes, both beneficial and pathogenic, are always present in the soil microfauna.  The bad one usually are kept down by the maintenance of healthy soils.  They become a problem with sandy soils, with poor humus, heavy irrigation, and an exclusive reliance on synthetic salt fetilizers.

After this severe loss I got the 'old time religion' about using organics and top dresssings of compost as the primary source of nutrition.  I also use crab meal as an annual top dressing against nematodes. I still must supplement with synthetics, as I have so many large plants in such a small surfacea area.   

Beach Jan 06 065.jpg

Beach Jan 06 066.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Amazing palm Darold.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 2 months later...
On 1/19/2020 at 1:23 PM, Darold Petty said:

IMG_0237.JPG

Hello Darold,

This can't be the small plant I gave you awhile back..?  Has it been that long?  Hope to see you soon.  Glenn

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.