IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

the official "mattyb & paul in south florida" thread

paulgila

you sure thats borassus? all the corypha had that sharp edge on petioles. the only other borassus we saw were at fairchild & they were 50 feet tall.

do i need to go on & on & on?

Stop making a fool of yourself.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Picture632.jpg

lodoicia seed which mike said he got from clark,whose wife smuggled it into the country in the

front of her swimming suit bottom.

Picture634.jpg

well,well.look who hopped the fence.

Picture635.jpg

jeff gets all emotional sometimes.

Picture637.jpg

"look,its a queen palm in a fur coat!"

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Florida-281.jpg

Waxing/Waining light. I'm not sure which means that it's getting dark so I used both terms. Clever huh?

Florida-282.jpg

Paul, don't eat that. Don't..... nevermind.

Florida-284.jpg

Euterpe oleracea crownshaft.

Florida-285.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

you sure thats borassus? all the corypha had that sharp edge on petioles. the only other borassus we saw were at fairchild & they were 50 feet tall.

no,i will not!

d'oh!

still "warning-free."

Florida-286.jpg

Lizard on Palm -- That's the name of Paul's new band.

Florida-287.jpg

Swing With No Seat -- That's the name of Paul's new band.

Florida-288.jpg

Allagoptera caudescens -- that would be a great band name.

Florida-289.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Picture639.jpg

jeez jeff,slow down on the drinkies!

Picture642.jpg

ok lets get some serious shots of everybody.

Picture643.jpg

matt!!!

Picture644.jpg

jeff!!!!

i give up! :angry:

still "warning-free."

I was smiling because I had my hands on both Mike and Jeff's butts simultaneously. A dream come true. Trip complete.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Florida-290.jpg

I think Mike said this was Dypsis pembana. It looks really plumose. Very pretty.

Florida-291.jpg

Teddy bear getting tall.

Florida-292.jpg

Dypsis carlsmithii

Florida-301.jpg

Paul, did you cut the cheese?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Florida-302.jpg

The gang at dinner! Thanks Mike for your hospitality. Dinner was delicious, the garden is incredible, and the pleasure of meeting you and hanging out with some great folks from Florida was an experience I'll never forget.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Jeeeeez, and I thought you guys were done! :rage:

Got any pictures of Ryan's house? Don't forget Ryan.... :)

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

matt with kerriodoxa.

Picture520.jpg

paul with corypha. pronounced "cor-eye-fa" in florida,btw.

Eww, I think I just got an "eye-fa". :bemused:

why you even lookin down there,sanford? keep yer eyes on the palms!!! :angry:

Hey, you were the one displayin' and my eyes is still burnin'...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

i was just having a photo taken, bill. anything you happen to read into it is just wishful thinking on yer part. :interesting:

still "warning-free."

i was just having a photo taken, bill. anything you happen to read into it is just wishful thinking on yer part. :interesting:

You look like you were starting your infamous Pee Wee Herman Tequila dance all over again. I thought you only did that in airports and on bartops.

And your shoes were too small.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Thinking of the rose garden, two women in Okeechobee (town on the north side of the big lake) run a rose nursery called "Blooming Idiots".

They grow old-fashioned varieties in a climate that's significantly hotter and perhaps more humid than the immediate coast. Their roses thrive. I don't know about the 'knockout' roses that get sold at the big box stores.

While roses aren't obvious things to grow in a climate that's good for hibiscuses, Pachypodiums, Plumeria, Heliconias, yard orchids, bromeliads, etc., it's feasible to have a really nice rose garden.

On the dypsis front, it's true that a lot of species have become widely grown only recently. D. decaryi grows really fast, but I don't see really tall specimens. A guy in my neighborhood rescued a sickly Triangle from a friend's yard several years ago. He says the base of the plant was rotting out from too much moisture. He plopped it on a mound, and it responded by growing masses of adventitious roots. Today you'd never realize it had a health crisis.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

You're home now, that's the main thing. :lol: Thanks for a great thread!

November 12th 2008

post-1155-1259095512_thumb.jpg

:floor::floor::floor:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

:floor: Thanks to all for this screamingly funny thread. Outstanding palm photos, too! It's a treat to see the Pseudophoenix and the Copernicia. Looks like the Florida boys schooled 'em.

Hey, special thanks to all the Florida team for ungrudgingly tolerating the indignities heaped upon them in this thread, you are good sports. While Matt and Paul are accustomed to heaping indignities upon themselves and each other, not everyone is used to such flagrant abuse. And thanks to John for that last space cadet shot, destined to become a classic. Where do I get my autographed copy?? :drool:

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Don't appologise for our sake Kim. Those Florida guys can lay down the snark with the best of them.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

i got that one,mike :winkie:

we still have a few more shots.

remember the old saying "it aint over till mattyb gets airsick due to turbulence & throws up on the plane!"

still "warning-free."

I'm afraid we've come to the end of our journey folks. I had only two pics left on my memory stick so here they are:

Florida-303.jpg

One last look at a Ken Johnson Satakentia

Florida-304.jpg

One last look at Ken Johnson's winter wonderland.

Thanks Ken for letting us stay with you and for showing us an amazing time. My liver will never forget it. :lol:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

i still have a few pix. its all about quantity.

still "warning-free."

Ken looks like the bear in the Animal Attacks video

just before he takes a swipe at the lady and practically knocks her block off

Picture019.jpg

I get by with a little help from my fronds

Both of yous - upgrade to PhotoBucket Pro!

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

I got side tracked on Matty and Paul's tour of S. Fla. What a great thread guys. I spent over two hours with you on your tour and I didn't even have to fly to Florida. I used to attend all the S. Fla palm sales at Fairchild. Loved your tour of Fairchild, and the other gardens too. I felt like I was there. Thanks again for a fun filled tour. I'm sorry I missed the night when you guys got drunk and Ken told all the stories about the old palm characters in S. Fla. I bet I could have added some spice to the stories.

Dick

Richard Douglas

F Dick, most of the stories were about you :P . The oldest and best anyway! Yep I tried to spill all the beans but I am sure I left some out. I assured P&M that their Cali stories could be greatly improved after a few martinis with you.

The So Cal guys have no idea what they are missing just up the coast a way. Master palm grower and story teller!

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

F Dick, most of the stories were about you :P . The oldest and best anyway! Yep I tried to spill all the beans but I am sure I left some out. I assured P&M that their Cali stories could be greatly improved after a few martinis with you.

The So Cal guys have no idea what they are missing just up the coast a way. Master palm grower and story teller!

Ken,

Just remember I've been around a long time, and I remember when you had a 32" waist and muscles. It's not fair to trash a reputation until they are dead, and that could be soon for me. My lungs are shot...........and my liver. I've smoked enough ciragretts to mulch my entire garden and enough vodka to fill my swimming pool at least twice.

I sent in some stories about the "old palm founders, etc", to Dean, and he said it was to hot for print. Oh yes, I have some stories, and what a grand time it has been.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Ken,

Just remember I've been around a long time, and I remember when you had a 32" waist and muscles. It's not fair to trash a reputation until they are dead, and that could be soon for me. My lungs are shot...........and my liver. I've smoked enough ciragretts to mulch my entire garden and enough vodka to fill my swimming pool at least twice.

I sent in some stories about the "old palm founders, etc", to Dean, and he said it was to hot for print. Oh yes, I have some stories, and what a grand time it has been.

Dick

Enough vodka to fill the swimming pool? Pretty funny. Knowing you, you got alot of good years still ahead of you.

Two years ago, my wife Andrea threw a big surprise birthday party for me after a palm sale at Fairchild Gardens that day. And to great surprise, YOU were there. That was a special treat, a small part that made that night so memorable.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Ken,

Dick

I want to read those stories! How about a PM to those us of that can stand some heat?

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

I've got my fire suit on.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I don't know what happened Terry. I'm only at 24% capacity. It said it'd reset on the 1st. Why?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I don't know what happened Terry. I'm only at 24% capacity. It said it'd reset on the 1st. Why?

Your storage may only be at 24%, but what did the bandwidth usage say? There has been a lot of people looking at these pics, so I imagine it got tapped out.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Yeah, the bandwidth is used up. Hopefully, it'll reset tomorrow and never be a problem again since the thread is almost done.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

ha ha ha ha

je parle de la première photo la ou il fait la grimace c'est trop rigolo en france personne ne fait ca a part moi lol

sa change un peu :drool: :drool: :drool: j'adore

the first is funny and the other picture are beautifull :D