paulgila

the official "mattyb & paul in south florida" thread

MattyB

Florida-157.jpg

Florida-158.jpg

Great pic of Ken giving this Pseudophoenix a rear naked choke. It was submitted at 4:32 in the first round. Ken was our tourguide for this entire upper portion of the gardens. He really knew his stuff and all it took was a raise of his arms and the group would assemble and follow behind. He was our mother goose.

Florida-159.jpg

This was Copernicia ekmanii which I thought looked exactly like Brahea armata. Once it was in flower you could see the flowers were not as long, but the overall morphology of this plant is very similar.

Florida-160.jpg

Coccothrinax breakyerneckii

MattyB

Florida-161.jpg

Sabal uresana

Florida-162.jpg

Someone said, "best in show" and I have to agree. Copernica fallensis. Ohhhh my.

Florida-163.jpg

Stringy bits hanging on the native oaks

Florida-164.jpg

Caveman toilet paper

MattyB

Florida-165.jpg

Heading down into the rainforest area you get a beautiful water feature.

Florida-166.jpg

Dave-Vero leading the way. I stuck by him for the rainforest and lowlands tour. He was a wealth of information. I've never listened to someone so well spoken either. It was like I was reading a book. But then again, my grammer ain't so gud. I think that was Jerry @ Tree Zoo bending over to check out some plantage.

And then my camera battery died!!!!!! Sorry.

Paul has the rest of the rainforest and the lowlands and will be posting soon. Then it's sushi night, where all of my gastrointestinal adventures began. :drool:

Jeff Searle

To, FreakyPalmGuy,Matty and Paul,

Thanks again for the B-day T-shirt. We all got a kick out of it. I will cherish for ever and only wear it on special ocassions. For example, when the Village People come into town for their next concert. :lol:

John in Andalucia

Gaussia Gomez-Pompae - that's a new one for me, and I think they look great! Are you sure about the ID, Matty?

MattyB

John, I tried to do some cross referencing from the Fairchild's site and it appears that these palms pictured might actually be Gaussia spirituana

Here's the pic of G. spirituana from the Fairchild's website on the left, with my pic on the right. Notice the palm trunk in the background, the cycads to the right and the Rhapis to the left. Same palm I think, so I was mistaken. I hope someone can confirm this is G. spirituana.

G. spirituana is listed in plot 101a, which is exactly where this pic was taken. Just on the other side of the fence is Old Cutler Rd.

G. gomez-pompae is listed in plot 166, which I can't find on the map.

So, G. spirituana it is, sorry for the mixup.

post-126-1258566777_thumb.jpg

post-126-1258566876_thumb.jpg

Ken Johnson

Both Gomez and Pompae will never forgive you MattyB. Don't forget Ernesto and Augusti either.

John in Andalucia
John, I tried to do some cross referencing from the Fairchild's site and it appears that these palms pictured might actually be Gaussia spirituana

Here's the pic of G. spirituana from the Fairchild's website on the left, with my pic on the right. Notice the palm trunk in the background, the cycads to the right and the Rhapis to the left. Same palm I think, so I was mistaken. I hope someone can confirm this is G. spirituana.

G. spirituana is listed in plot 101a, which is exactly where this pic was taken.

G. gomez-pompae is listed in plot 166, which I can't find on the map.

So, G. spirituana it is, sorry for the mixup.

Thanks Matty, I was curious, seeing Gaussia gomez-pompae on PACSOA, which is why I questioned the ID. I think you have it correct with Gaussia spirituana from looking at the photo comparisons.

MattyB

John, you still might wanna look into G. gomez-pompae. They have a very unique bottle like trunk with a constricted crownshaft when young at least. Very cool looking. I don't see any pictures on the internet but I've seen it in person.

John in Andalucia
John, you still might wanna look into G. gomez-pompae. They have a very unique bottle like trunk with a constricted crownshaft when young at least. Very cool looking. I don't see any pictures on the internet but I've seen it in person.

OK - don't mind me, more photos please! :drool:

www.dadluvsu.com
Florida-164.jpg

Caveman toilet paper

Looks like you got some on your thumb. :greenthumb::bummed::sick::bemused:

MattyB

I got some hammer on my thumb.

epicure3
I got some hammer on my thumb.

Don't open beer bottles with hammers. Never works.

BS Man about Palms
Gaussia Gomez-Pompae - that's a new one for me, and I think they look great! Are you sure about the ID, Matty?

John-

I looked at the Pascoa website and I'm not sure thats right. These are from someone who collected the seed in habitat in Mexico, following the directions from the original describing article in Principes several years ago. They are quite slow growing and very squat. Having seen them in person as Matty has, the Fairchild one looks more like it than the Pascoa site. Please note pic.

exactly 2 cents worth, right there. :)

post-27-1258610098_thumb.jpg

PS-the above info is from the seed gatherer, I have not seen the said article in Principes, but he said "he had the article with him, went to the little village, went "x" miles out of town, went quarter mile off the road up the hill into the brush/etc. there they were right where described"

John in Andalucia

Bill, you've lost me. Are you saying that the photos of Gaussia Gomez-Pompae on PACSOA are incorrect? It was the the Fairchild examples that got me excited, and those are Gaussia spirituana, or not?

Walter John

Hi Matty and Paul and vice versa, I just checked out your mini films so far for the first time. They kinda leave you hangin' for more, Ken you're a natural in front of the camera.

Going great, great thread, get going with more please.. :interesting:

BS Man about Palms
Bill, you've lost me. Are you saying that the photos of Gaussia Gomez-Pompae on PACSOA are incorrect? It was the the Fairchild examples that got me excited, and those are Gaussia spirituana, or not?

John- I can't quite answer that. Matty is trying to figure out what he took a picture of based on a map after the fact. Those are NEVER wrong, eh? :P

Anyway, based on the one I pictured and Jeff Searle has one or more also, the Fairchild ones have much more in similarity to the gomez-pompae we have than the Pascoa site.

John in Andalucia

John- I can't quite answer that. Matty is trying to figure out what he took a picture of based on a map after the fact. Those are NEVER wrong, eh? :P

Anyway, based on the one I pictured and Jeff Searle has one or more also, the Fairchild ones have much more in similarity to the gomez-pompae we have than the Pascoa site.

I think Matty is correct with Gaussia spirituana. Certainly looking at the name plate, it seems to fit. Those on PACSOA of G. gomez-pompae are perhaps deceiving, if the bulge at the base is less prominent as the trunk gains height.

sur4z

I'm supprised there are no pictures of the wildlife on the grounds. Fairchild Gardens has a large population of iguanas

which come in many colors. Check out this orange dude.

iguana.jpg

MattyB

Cool! I didn't see any of those guys. Maybe Paul got some pics. He should be posting soon.

Ken Johnson
I'm supprised there are no pictures of the wildlife on the grounds. Fairchild Gardens has a large population of iguanas

which come in many colors. Check out this orange dude.

iguana.jpg

Palm Eaters!

DoomsDave

Paul, Matty, Ken, et al, more pictures!

Ken Johnson

I did not take a camera to FTBG but I did take one to dinner that night. After dinner there was an amazing demonstration. We will have to wait for M or P's pix.

P.S. Paul was the one that ordered beer and saki first. Being a good host I followed suit.

post-50-1258673225_thumb.jpg

paulgila

Picture356.jpg

here we are on the way to fairchild,ken johnson at the wheel.

Picture361.jpg

butressed tree.

Picture362.jpg

we got in free thanks to christian faulkner.

Picture363.jpg

nice looking decaryi trio.

paulgila

Picture364.jpg

this venerable garden has the market on vistas cornered.

Picture366.jpg

Picture374.jpg

heres a florida local named "ralph" that i met at the botanical garden in bali in 2008!

small world,innit?

Picture375.jpg

ken johnson also got a san diego souvenir in recognition of his hospitality.

• Upvote 1

paulgila

Picture377.jpg

the copernicias made a big impression. on matts face.

Picture378.jpg

Picture379.jpg

Picture380.jpg

here is when i coined the term "upskirt" for palms. dont be fooled by imitations.

paulgila

Picture382.jpg

ken johnsons amazing tour-guiding skills have already been covered.

Picture384.jpg

matt thought i was gazing longingly in his direction,but i was really drooling over the arenga behind him.

lets just keep that our little secret.

Picture385.jpg

mmmmmmmmangosteen.....

Picture386.jpg

wavy gravy.

paulgila

Picture387.jpg

it flows.

Picture389.jpg

matt practices his "palm proctology."

Picture391.jpg

we call this "shooting the breeze" in socal.maybe you have that expression in florida,too.

Picture392.jpg

two "larger-than-life" figures.

oops,i meant to say "larger-than-me."

paulgila

Picture393.jpg

some pix from the shadehouses by the snack bar. you know where i mean!

Picture394.jpg

Picture395.jpg

Picture396.jpg

paulgila

Picture397.jpg

who is cooler? lodoicia maldivica or ken johnson?

the answer is clear.

Picture398.jpg

bubba gets ready to spring into action as he notes some inappropriate palm-groping about to occur.

Central Floridave

thanks for the photo journal and allowing us to vicariously live through you guys! Nice ones.

amazondk

Thanks for the continued images of your trip. South Florida has a lot of assets.

paulgila

continuing with pix from fairchild botanical garden.

Picture399.jpg

Picture401.jpg

Picture402.jpg

Picture403.jpg

• Upvote 1

paulgila

Picture405.jpg

my best heroic pose.

Picture408.jpg

areca with brilliant red trunkal region.

Picture411.jpg

awesome coccothrinax sp.

Picture413.jpg

pseudophoenix that have been "dr.seussed" with randy(palmisland).

• Upvote 1

paulgila

Picture416.jpg

bubba--"man of action."

Picture417.jpg

rockin' pseudophoenix sp.

they are easy to discern from one another by the flowers.so easy that i forgot how.

Picture418.jpg

ken johnson thinkin' about how easily he could get a crane in & yank that sucker out.

Picture419.jpg

even the natives were impressed.

• Upvote 1

paulgila

Picture420.jpg

i really enjoyed this shot. it reminds me of what the clowns that pile out of that teeny tiny car

do AFTER they get out.

Picture424.jpg

impossibly tall coccothrinax.

Picture428.jpg

buuba is so inquisitive,just like perry mason.

Picture429.jpg

a group of attalea sp.that fooled everyone into thinking they were ravenea.

i said "everyone," bradford!

paulgila

Picture430.jpg

good thing i brought my extra-large drool bib.

Picture431.jpg

Picture440.jpg

into the "rain-forest."

Picture441.jpg

paulgila

Picture446.jpg

borassadenron deserves three pix,in my book.

they have both flavors.in the shade...

Picture447.jpg

Picture453.jpg

...and in sun.

Picture457.jpg

FM "tikitiki." some call him tom.

paulgila

Picture458.jpg

"sigh."

Picture459.jpg

i love this kinda stuff.

Picture461.jpg

"the colors,the colors..."

paulgila

Picture449.jpg

more palms that start with the letter "B."

Picture463.jpg

that petiole edge is razor-sharp!

i should know,i used it to shave with the next morning.

Picture465.jpg

lagoon.what a strange word.

Picture466.jpg

more.

• Upvote 1