IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ravenala madagascariensis

surgeon83

This Ravenala madagascariensis has just opened enough leaves to look recovered from winter.  There is another plant, slightly smaller, right behind it, that was another sucker off a much larger original plant.  The one in the front of this pic has two suckers of its own behind it.  

ravenalamadagascariensis.jpg

Show us yours!

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

They grow fine in pots.They keep the same fan shape,develop a trunk...in case you need to dig it up for winter. Are there other large ones in your area? or are they only safe for a few winters?

surgeon!

So good to see you back.

Your R. mad's look like totally fab!

That high heat, starting early, yowza, here in Cali, they're a tough grow, except in a perfect micro-climate, in my case on the south wall of my dive, in the hot, blistering sun, lots of water.

In the pots, Dave's Death Camp, again, sob!

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

These get pretty large. Here's one of ours. Somewhat of a messy look when they get tall.

post-22-1151977315_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Nice plant!  At what temperature do these guys defoliate & croak?  I saw a pretty nice one at the local Home Depot in the "I don't know what it is, so it must be on sale" bin.  I should have bought it...

Matt R - Katy, TX

Elevation 100ft (30m) - Zone 9a

Gumbo (clay) soil

Summer (May-Sep) Highs - upper-90'sºF (37ºC) Hot Humid

Winter (Dec-Jan) Lows - upper-30’sºF (3ºC) Mild/Cool Humid

Yearly Minimum - 26º (-4ºC). 1989 Record Low 6º (-14ºC).

50-60 inches rain annual

Matt, these things cannot tolerate freezing whatsoever.  Leaves will die immediately, just like bananas.  That said, there are some reportedly growing in central Florida that get burned back by quick frosts then grow new leaves each year.  

Last winter I piled leaves about 8" deep around the base.  This winter I already have supplies to build a shanty greenhouse to put over it for daily use, and in case of record-breaking freeze, I will surround it with christmas lights, leaves, and perhaps the insulated box I made for it.

I have only seen one other in the ground, it looked like about 8' but only 6 leaves or so.  That was March, so haven't checked on its summer progress.  I'm hoping to dig up the smaller plant and the suckers to pot them as backups.  

bgl- nice plant.  Have you by any chance experimented with digging up and transplanting the suckers?  If so, any advice?  

Thanks

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

One of my favs. If I get one, I want it to be in the ground, and I have seen one looks good in oakland but they do fall apart when it gets freezing. I will wait. I may try one but with little luck. How cold did it get last winter surgeon?

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

Surgeon83,

no, never tried to dig up any of the suckers. I have two big Ravenalas, and that's enough!! Don't need any more, so the suckers will stay on the mother plants!

Bo

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I'm a sucker for suckers, none, alas, on my Rav Mads, sob!

dave

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I have 2. One of them that's been in the ground for 3 years is dying a slow death due to some fungus or rot no doubt caused by cold winters. The other is doing just fine.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Palmy are you 100% sure it was a Traveler's tree and not a GBOP?..in Oakland?..because every expert on the planet claims they wont live/grow in the bay area. I would try if i could get one..if there is enough heat in coastal Sou Cal for then to grow tree size than we should see them grow here too.Slower,but grow.

Hey Guys...

I have one that I bought at about 6ft tall - it's 12ft oa now...... Last summer I had it out on my deck and it grew by leaps & bounds - I brought it indoors in the fall where it's been ever since. I soooo want to take it outside and watch it grow like crazy, but I know I'll never be able to bring it back in again. These grow really fast with heat & light - excellent tree - they also acclimate very well - when I brought it indoors last year, all it did was slow down - no decline at all..

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

I cant be sure, it was way before I got into palms. Im trying to remember where it is. So it may be a GBOP. Sure had huge leaves if it was.

(Stan @ Jul. 05 2006,12:55)

Dave,post a pic of your(gives u) Blues Traveler palm.

SIGH!

Wont' be blue!

dave

Between myself & next door neighbor we have 5 in the ground. All look crummy in the winter, but always bounce back like crazy in the spring. I transplanted one from the back to the front & it stalled for a couple weeks, then started growing again. Largest is 8-9 feet, & that plant was puchased two years back as a seedling. I passed one at a house nearby that was taller than the peak of the roof, so I'm pretty optimistic I'll have some trunkers someday..

B/R's

Bret

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

(Stan @ Jul. 05 2006,12:55)

Dave,post a pic of your(gives u) Blues Traveler palm.

Here 'tis:

normal_DSCF0020.JPG

It's impossible to get a picture of the whole tree in one frame where it's at so here's 2!!

post-145-1152585909_thumb.jpg

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

And here's one of the crown.

post-145-1152585947_thumb.jpg

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

I have to try one. They look way to good down there to not be possible in the bay area. No frost,well,below 32,hot wall, and give me three years....

Dave get your self a irrigation thats a heavy on the water..that travelers of yours looks great,a bit thirsty, but great.

Hey Stan! Thanks and yeah I do really give it tons and I mean tons of water. It got alot of brown patches from winter and is pushing it's way out of that but i'm not quite ready to trim it just yet.

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

(Stan @ Jul. 11 2006,00:15)

Dave get your self a irrigation thats a heavy on the water..that travelers of yours looks great,a bit thirsty, but great.

I water it about twice a week, deep . . . .

dave

Dave of LH. That's not enough to push fast growth.It would never be enough for  -say- babys tears.And R.M. is just as water hungry. More Watering days in summertime and regular fertilzer-even all Nitrogen for that green plant,although GBOP will show yellow if not enough iron is present. A mulch will help too.

I promise you-more water and a feeding of palm food and the next flush of leaves will be double the present size.

I can tell from that wide base it has a strong root system that will respond-fast!

Stan:

You suggest maybe watering it every day?

I'll probably forget.  (Don't have auto water.)

On the other hand, do I want it to get that big that fast?

Hmm.  I usually don't do fertilizer, but maybe some serious excess might make things a bit livelier around here.

It's already got about 4" of wood chips for mulch.

dave

At least every other day in the summer. The faster it grows,the more leaves it carrys.That makes for a more impressive fan. The fan is the "look".

I have gotta give one of these a try. Theres no way it would live up here.

Here's a couple that I have been growing in my Huntington Beach garden.  

#1 was started from seed 3 years ago but is planted in a shady position on an east-west direction.

R. mad #1

#2 was planted as a 15g 18-months ago in full sun, north-south direction. i wanted to find out if the east-west stories/folklore were true or not. No twisting as of yet. This one is growing very fast and currently has 3 suckers that I have been meaning to lopp-off and root-out in containers. The picture was taken from my dining room. When I am sitting down at the head of our dining room table, the Traveler is perfectly framed by the sliding glass door. I dig looking at this during breakfast and dinner. My favorite part of Ravs are the lower section of the fan. I think I have several years before this view disappears. When it no longer is sightly from the head of my dinning room table,  I will try to dig it up and not shatter the subterreanean trunk.

R. mad. #2

John Mendoza

Landscape Designer, Owner

Tropical Vibe Nursery and Landscape

www.tropicalvibe.com

-Full Landscape design and installation

-Wide variety of palms and tropicals, centrally located in Orange County

-Complete line of garden care products available everyday

(bgl @ Jul. 03 2006,18:41)

These get pretty large. Here's one of ours. Somewhat of a messy look when they get tall.

BGL - What are the palms infront of the Traveler's?

John Mendoza

www.tropicalvibe.com

Mediahound!

ARF!

Sorry, had to do that . . .

Nice to meet you!

How about some more pictures; I'll be you've got some killer heliconias . . . .

dave

(BobbyinNY @ Jul. 05 2006,13:37)

These grow really fast with heat & light -

Mine has been adding just shy of 1 leaf per month so far this year and I planted it in the dead of winter (Jan 2006).

These plants certainly like heat, sunlight and water.

The best planting locations for these are areas which are wind sheltered.  Winds shred the foliage terribly.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Mine has been adding just shy of 1 leaf per month so far this year and I planted it in the dead of winter (Jan 2006).

These plants certainly like heat, sunlight and water.

The best planting locations for these are areas which are wind sheltered.  Winds shred the foliage terribly.

That's the truth, Larry.... I've retired mine to indoors because I know if I brought it outdoors, by the end of the summer this thing would be way too big to move around - unlike palms that are much easier to handle - this thing is a nightmare.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Our local variety of this plant the  Ravenala guianensis is a great plant, but needs a lot of room.  There is one in the bottom corner of this photo.  They sort of grow like weeds around here.

Purplewater.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

BGL - What are the palms infront of the Traveler's?

--------------

John Mendoza

John,

Sorry for not responding right away. Didn't look at this thread for a few days.... The tall palms are Clinostigma samoense.

Bo

Your Clinostigmas make me want to buy land in Hawaii! That is such a beautiful palm!

John Mendoza

www.tropicalvibe.com

John,

That's not a bad reason...

Bo

post-22-1153372447_thumb.jpg

BGL,

That's incredible! I will be on the islands this winter. Visions of Clinostigmas consume my mind...

John Mendoza

www.tropicalvibe.com

John,

Let me know when you'll be here in the Hilo area!

Aloha,

Bo

BGL, Will do. Your garden would be a highlight for my trip!

John Mendoza

www.tropicalvibe.com

The hot, humid, and rainy season weather has induced a high rate of growth in my Ravenala madagascariensis, taking 24 days between new leaves. That's good as I lost all but three fronds/leaves do a bad radiational freeze on 2/14/06.

Photo below shows developing trunk:

2894004090042496162MsuvVt_th.jpg

by waltcat100

Mad about palms