IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Phaleria clerodendron- very fragrant flowers

Eric in Orlando

Phaleria clerodendron is a small evergreen tree native to the rainforests of Queensland, Australia. It bears large clusters of white flowers which are very fragrant and smell like vanilla. It has grown well here and makes an excellent specimen in a shady area and only grows 10-15 ft. Its in full bloom now. The flower clusters are about the size of a baseball.

img_2955.jpg

img_2953.jpg

img_2954.jpg

• Like 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Gorgerous.

Rubiaceae?

Does it need acid soil?

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

It is in Thymelaeaceae, a family I wasn't familiar with. Looked it up and Daphne is in the same family but didn't recognize any other genera except for Edgeworthia.

It is growing adjacent to the road and under camphor trees so I would assume it is fairly alkaline. It is usually alkaline under camphors and then being next to the road, too.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Great photos Eric!

I caught those while I was there but didn't see them in bloom so its nice to see them. I had a few growing here from seed (from a nice bloke from Queensland) but am now down to one because of the freeze last year and my improper placement. I did notice the growing habit of mine was much more upright and was wondering if that was because of a different variant or because of your more shady position?

Thanks,

Bill

Bill

Zone 9A - West Central Florida in Valrico

East of Brandon and Tampa

Another great plant in Thymelaeceae is Dais cotinifolia from South Africa. It excels in SoCal and grows well in FL too. Jesse Durko usually has.

http://images.bidorbuy.co.za/user_images/6...otinifolia2.jpg

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

I'm growing Phaleria clerodendrum here in Socal; I've had it for several years and it just won't get going. It's about 5' tall and survives, but hasn't thrived so far. I gave one to Jeff White(El Blanco) and the last time I checked with him he was having the same experience-that was a year or so ago so maybe it's doing better now. Nice plant Eric!

San Fernando Valley, California

How tall is it now, Eric?? Mine is now taller than me, but no flowers yet... I think I am just impatient.. :winkie:

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I have been informed, this is actually Phaleria octandra.

And I have now been informed by you that this is a "must have" for my garden. Any trades out there? :)

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

We have a P. clerodendron in the Deerfield Arboretum but it has not flowered and does not look nearly as attractive as yours, Eric. Are you saying that yours was misidentified or that all P cleredendrons are now octandra?

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

No, there is a P. clerodendron but the flower clusters are much smaller and it doesn't flower at the tips of the branches.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I saw this specimen last week. It is a very elegant, refined plant that will look good even without the flowers. If you plant one, do like Eric has done and allow it some room to stand away from other vegetation.

Fragrance very similar to Stephanotis floribunda.

_____

My Phaleria clerodendron shouldn't be too far away from flowering then.... Maybe next year....

Regards,, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

And yet another very pretty and desirable plant that is a native of Qld, that I have never before heard of, or seen or will ever be likely to find for sale.

:(

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

And yet another very pretty and desirable plant that is a native of Qld, that I have never before heard of, or seen or will ever be likely to find for sale.

:(

Peachy

They are native up here too, peachy... I can get them from the NT Native society. If you want, I can see whether I can get seedlings and post them to you.

Regards, ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

• 9 years later...

They have grown well. They do not tolerate dry soil. We lost the biggest one this spring in the severe drought. Others are growing well in irrigated locations. They are also growing where they get afternoon shade. 

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

2 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

They have grown well. They do not tolerate dry soil. We lost the biggest one this spring in the severe drought. Others are growing well in irrigated locations. They are also growing where they get afternoon shade. 

Good to know, thanks for the update..