IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coconut Palm Nurseries in Miami/Homestead Area

Mr. Coconut Palm

Hi Everyone,

I am planning a driving trip to South Florida in December, and I need to know what good coconut palm nurseries there are in the Miami and Homestead area. I am looking for the Green, Golden, and Yellow Malayans as well as Maypans, but they must be in small sizes in the 1-3ft. range. I am hoping to find some good healthy palms at a low price, since I would like to fill a 5x10ft. cargo trailer with them. You can reach me at my email at: mr.coconutpalm@yahoo.com or on my cell phone at (956) 204-9499.

Thanks,

John

You could pretty much stop anywhere you want down there for cocos.

Those won't be hard to find...

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

You could pretty much stop anywhere you want down there for cocos.

Those won't be hard to find...

Especially in Homestead. You can get full grown trees with multiple feet of trunk there for the price of a 7 gallon plant at your local hardware store, if they sell them.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Krome Ave, north of downtown Homestead, has several miles of nurseries, as do most of the intersecting streets (Silver Palm, Coconut Palm).

Plan on going during the week, rather than weekends. Most on Krome are open on Sat, but those on side roads often aren't. Almost all are closed on Sun.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

I'm bettin' $2ea on 3gals if your buyin' 100 or more...

Keep us posted. Prolly cheaper if their goin' outta biz...

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

I'm bettin' $2ea on 3gals if your buyin' 100 or more...

Keep us posted. Prolly cheaper if their goin' outta biz...

Thanks everyone for the info. I'll keep you posted on the outcome of my trip.

John

John, couple of things.

1) TX has a quaranteen on Coconuts coming from FL because of Lethal Yellowing. Can't you find them in S-TX that come from Central American sources? LY isn't carried in the seed so if you can get one that hasn't germiated yet you won't carry the disease to TX.

2) We have red palm mite in S-FL now. They love coconuts and carrying one from Homestead might bring that scurge to your garden. Red palm mites will live on the fruit so you can't avoid it by transporting seeds.

Bottom line, If you can find a source locally that would probably be much better.

Also, many of the nurseries on Krome are closed now. I just drove Krome yesterday and it's really depressing. So many bankruptcies, so many closures. This economy is separating those with mortgages or a solid business plan from those without and the carnage is severe.

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

John, couple of things.

1) TX has a quaranteen on Coconuts coming from FL because of Lethal Yellowing. Can't you find them in S-TX that come from Central American sources? LY isn't carried in the seed so if you can get one that hasn't germiated yet you won't carry the disease to TX.

2) We have red palm mite in S-FL now. They love coconuts and carrying one from Homestead might bring that scurge to your garden. Red palm mites will live on the fruit so you can't avoid it by transporting seeds.

Bottom line, If you can find a source locally that would probably be much better.

Also, many of the nurseries on Krome are closed now. I just drove Krome yesterday and it's really depressing. So many bankruptcies, so many closures. This economy is separating those with mortgages or a solid business plan from those without and the carnage is severe.

It's very hard to get coconut palms in South Texas. The nurseries in the Valley sometimes carry them, but not very often and they usually sell out very rapidly. We can sprout the ones that wash up on our beaches from Mexico each spring and summer, but finding these are hit and miss with the tourists grabbing them and locals who want to drink the milk chopping them open. These are the reasons I wanted to bring some back from Florida. I know about the quarantine, but the varieties I want to bring back are lethal yellowing resistant and we have had lethal yellowing in our date palms here in Texas for many years. I wish the government would get some reasoning ability and not have such ridiculous regulations. There are some Central American sources I have heard of for both the coconuts and sprouted nuts, but I have heard the red tape to go through to officially bring them in here is ridiculous. I have a couple of sources for healthy Hawaiian Talls from Hawaii, but these are approximately $40 for a small 8" tall sprout. I like the Hawaiian Tall, but I am really wanting to find a regular source for the Green, Golden, and Yellow Malyans already sprouted as well as the Maypan, since coconut palms are becoming quite popular in the Lower Rio Grande Valley. The Mexican Talls and the Green Malayans are the most common ones grown there right now. The Mexican Talls are probably from coconuts that have washed up on our beaches that people have taken home and sprouted. These grow naturally along the Gulf coast of Mexico from about La Pesca just north of Tampico all the way to the Yucatan. I have been hoping to fulfill the niche of being the wholesale supplier of coconut palms to the retail nurseries and landscapers in the Valley, and I could do this as a backyard nursery operation on about an acre of land easily, but I need a regular source of sprouted nuts of the varieties I am looking for, or at the very least a regular source of healthy seed nuts.

John

Hi Everyone,

I am planning a driving trip to South Florida in December, and I need to know what good coconut palm nurseries there are in the Miami and Homestead area. I am looking for the Green, Golden, and Yellow Malayans as well as Maypans, but they must be in small sizes in the 1-3ft. range. I am hoping to find some good healthy palms at a low price, since I would like to fill a 5x10ft. cargo trailer with them. You can reach me at my email at: mr.coconutpalm@yahoo.com or on my cell phone at (956) 204-9499.

Thanks,

John

Contact Dave Romney, he has the largest selection of 3 gallon cultivars that I know of down here. Sorry, I don't have his number, perhaps another forum member could assist you with that. :blink:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Hi Everyone,

Thanks,

John

Contact Dave Romney, he has the largest selection of 3 gallon cultivars that I know of down here. Sorry, I don't have his number, perhaps another forum member could assist you with that. :blink:

I really gotta go see him one time, but I can't drive (insurance too expensive) and no one will take me. Hopefully the next time someone goes and sees him I can have them pick something up for my. Why isn't he on Palmtalk? I'm sure his knowledge would be a nice thing to have for coconut crazy people like myself...

Keith

Keith 

coocoo for coconuts. :)

I may have to get a few more to try...

I'm startin' to see 'em everywhere now that I'm lookin'...

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

Keith, No insurance? Too much street racing?

Haha, not exactly. I just turned 18, and my mom told me I can't get my license until I get a job to pay for the insurance, and it's hard for an 18 year old with only one prior job to get a job in this economy.

Keith 

The 'ol 'GET A JOB' sch-peel. :)

I remember it well.

It's amazing, because you can't do without... :D

If you were up here I could get you in a apprentice program...

IBEW. Check it in your area... There's a chapter down there...

I'm non-union, but they'll get you your foot in the door to all the opportunites later on... ;)

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy