IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Indoor-Jungle in Germany

Z4Devil

All -

the Acanthophoenix should be declared as Verena-palm. :D

Thierry makes it possible to speed-up the delivery, after less than 1 week the Acantho-Gang arrived. I potted them in with the help of palmbooster, fertilizer and auxin (raw part of ST) and a warm shower. :)

Infront the little A. rousselii, beyond the larger A. rubra. The show must go on, the year of 2010 will be a better than 2009. I am happy and I know I will do everything to keep this little beauties alive.

In the pipeline are:

1. a secret (more, when I have any confirmation)

2. 15 further Acanthos from Alain (3 x A. rubra, 3 x A. rousselii, 3 x A. crinita)

3. 2 seedlings of C. renda

4. 4 plants of C. renda (size of about 60 cm)

5. 3 Acanthophoenix rubra (of about 1.00 m)

Did I mention that Jubaea chilensis, Dypsis and an new Parajubaea torallyi var. torallyi have founded a new home in Gladbeck? :D

Photos of

1. Acantho-Gang

Acanthobande1.jpg

Acanthobande2.jpg

Acanthobande3.jpg

Acanthobande4.jpg

Verena, your palms are beautiful and inspiring! You must have a very big house.

Keep on Growing,

Susan

Verena, what a haul! Your new babies are lovely and your palms always look so great indoors.

In case you haven't heard, the new issue of Palms magazine introduces two new species of Lytocaryum palms (and 7 more Syagrus, I think).

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Susan, thank you very much for compliments. :)

Verena, what a haul! Your new babies are lovely and your palms always look so great indoors.

In case you haven't heard, the new issue of Palms magazine introduces two new species of Lytocaryum palms (and 7 more Syagrus, I think).

:drool::drool:B):wub:

Meg! No! YES! Yeeeeaaaaah. :D Where and what? If I would be a member of the IPS, do I have a chance to get a specimen of both? Does you or anyone else know of which new species we are talking about?

Gileeeeeeeenooooooooooo, where the hell you are? :D

My godness, that is soooo exciting. I am waiting for the next posting ...

Love, Verena

Edited by Z4Devil

Member of the ultimate Lytocaryum fan society :)

Meg- I thought about Verena and if she was an IPS member as I was reading my issue yesterday too. :)

Verena, I doubt they are readily available yet, but a small one was seeding, it looked "super-miniature" if you will.

Join the IPS, support this website that way, and get nice coverage of your favorite palms.... :lol:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Susan, thank you very much for compliments. :)

:drool::drool:B):wub:

Meg! No! YES! Yeeeeaaaaah. :D Where and what? If I would be a member of the IPS, do I have a chance to get a specimen of both? Does you or anyone else know of which new species we are talking about?

Gileeeeeeeenooooooooooo, where the hell you are? :D

My godness, that is soooo exciting. I am waiting for the next posting ...

Love, Verena

Verena, these are the two new Lytocaryums:

L. insigne

L. itapebiensis

Meg

Florida

• 10 months later...

Dear all,

somewhere in Northrhine-Westphalia, Germany is growing a Howea fosteriana ... of big size. :D :D :D

Ladies and Gentlemen, Verena proudly presents "Nemesis" in unbinded status (usually she is). I have had washed her leaves (every single feather!) off settled dust; that took me about 1.5 h ...

But look at this goddess B)

Nemi3.jpg

Nemi4.jpg

Nemi5a.jpg

post-3495-075484600 1297878523_thumb.jpg

post-3495-080154100 1297879047_thumb.jpg

Beautiful Verena! Looks like you are going to have to take out the ceiling soon though.

Susan

Palmes, palmes, uber alles!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

:)

Thank you, Susan.

You´ve got it, Dave. :greenthumb: There are no better things than palms.

Love, Verena

Verena, your Howea is awesome. One of my favorite palms. My two H.f. and one H.b. are still alive & well in my shade garden. They don't like hot, humid weather but the shade I give them must be just enough to keep them comfortable in summer.

Meg

Florida

Exactly that´s it, Meg. :) I know about the specifics of the two Howea sisters. Besides, today my new H. belmoreana arrived (height 1.50 m) - what a beautiful little lady.

Both do not like full sun (and heat); the best way to grow them is half-shade. Especially Nemesis is a "drunkard". :D Depending on temperature and light she takes about 10 liters of special prepared water at a stretch. *bg*

And Kentia palms love a daily shower of lukewarm water - like the most of tropical palms.

Love, Verena

Verena- I missed this thread the first time around...why are the pictures on pages 1 and 2 taken down?

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

Hi, my dear -

thank you for missing this little thread of me. :) I was very sick a long time and not able to communicate online.

Unfortunately I have deleted some folders on my server, the pictures are no longer available because I forgot to make a back-up. Please excuse this ...

I promise to fill this thread with a lot of photos again. The spring and the summer are waiting and so I have a lot of photo scenes. :)

• 1 year later...

The half of my palms are currently outdoor, the other half is in quarantine because of spider mites. :(

The complete album is shared and public for access @ skydrive.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=8e5f6df287d19370&resid=8E5F6DF287D19370!112&id=8E5F6DF287D19370!112

Hope you feel better . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Wow Verena, you've gone crazy with all the plants. They all look really healthy too. Some really cool stuff!

Bret

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

@ Dave: thank you, my friend. Well, sometimes I am not well, but then times are coming when everything is on it´s way. Due to my serious illness in 2010 I have to take care when things that are too much for me.

@ Bret: many, many thanks. And yes, this crazyness the all of us know don´t we? :D

Will update this thread now and then.

Best regards, Verena

Thanks for the link Verena, it was a good way to see some of your palms all together at the same time. Your Areca triandra looks superb, I wish it will produce flowers soon as its fragrance is simply magical. I love Arecaaaaas...

Edited by Sebastian Bano

Sebastian, garden on La Palma island, 370 m (1200 feet) above sea level / USDA Zone 11/12 ; Heat zone IV / V

Record High: 42°C (107F) / Record Low: 9°C (48°F). Rain: 600 mm (24 inches) per year with dry/wet seasons. Warm Season: July-November / Cool Season: December-June
Warmest month (August/September) average minimum temperature : 21°C (70°F) / Warmest month (August/September) average maximum temperature : 28°C (82°F)
Coldest month (February/March) average minimum temperature : 14,5°C (58°F) / Coldest month (February/March) average maximum temperature : 21°C (70°F)

Temperature of the sea : minimum of 20°C (68°F) in march, maximum of 25°C (77°F) in September/October.

Your palms look fantastic! :greenthumb: Are you alone with your addiction, or have friends & neighbors caught on? You'll know when your triandra blooms, really lemony.

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

• 8 months later...

No idea what happens with this palm ... but it is been growing for about one year, without a break.

Is such a permanent flowering normal? Guess it could mean a lot of stress for the plan, couldn´t it?

Looks pretty well but I have no option to change that:

Pics have been made from all 4 directions:

20130126_121517.jpg

20130126_121544.jpg

20130126_121631.jpg

20130126_121645.jpg

PS: seeds of the L. insigne will be shipped to me in early summer. And: yes, with all of my courage of despair I have contacted Dr. Lorenzi in terms to L. itapebiensis. I am very anxious if he responds. 8)

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Dear all,

my first self-germinated Cocos nucifera sp. Golden Malayan Dwarf is nearly one year old. It´s unbelievable status you can see in the pics below.

A further coconut of the same species arrived at 16 March, 2013 and has been putted into a germination bag on 22 March, 2013. Germination? Yesterday or today, after just 6 weeks. thumbup.gif

Life is beautiful. And to all who try to grow a coconut palm in Europe (especially in Germany): YES, it works. With some efforts anything is possible. juhu.gif

A new star is born:

20130505_171554.jpg

Potted in:

20130505_173434.jpg

In comparision with it´s one year older sibling:

20130505_173504.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Birthday, exactly one year old :)

20130519_150234_1.jpg
20130519_150308.jpg
20130519_150316.jpg
In about 2 weeks I will try to germinate a C. nucifera sp. Samoan dwarf
  • Upvote 2

Looking at the surrounding landscape old memories come in to my mind. It is a miracle that your palms have not died yet from damping-off, maybe you use artificial lighting during winter? Or it is the selected spss, which are hardier? (not necessarily cold hardier). Anyway it remains to see whether after nutrients in endosperm are exhausted (for those palms which are sill seedlings), same palms are capable of feeding themselves during winter.

Good work, Verena. :greenthumb: Let's hope we can see an update in another 12 months!

• 3 months later...

Time to take it out of the bag and have a closer look. Most likely rotted out by now...

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

• 7 months later...

Dear all,

time goes by, and now and then some palms do not make it here in Germany. Especially after dark and cold winters I have to say Good bye to 3 - 6 plants. :crying:

Well, the Golden Malayan dwarf coconuts had the challenge to survive their first untypical winter. What shall I say ... THEY DID IT. Okay, some sings of hard times you may observe but the are alive, and this is what counts.

See Acanathophoenix rubra, crinita and rousselli (which are the dry ones, they have the most problems to survive, but they´re fighting and will survive, I know it), together with the coconuts. Last pictures are photos of my kitchen window where some palms have to be moved as they can arrange better with the Eastern side. Acanthos require more light than expected, especially the crinita and the rousselli. Meanwhile I know this and can avoid their dieback in combination with taking care of less water than other palms need.

DSC_0018.JPG

DSC_0019.JPG

DSC_0020.JPG

A. crinita

DSC_0021.JPG

The palms in the kitchen are Areca catechu, 4 Lytocaryum hoehnei, Albertos very special Lyto and a Howea belmoreana. When I bought it, it was of 15 cm and a seedling. :)

Best

Verena

DSC_0022.JPG

The younger Coconut Golden Malayan

DSC_0016.JPG

And her older sister:

DSC_0015.JPG

DSC_0014.JPG

Areca catechu:

DSC_0023.JPG

Howea belmoreana:

DSC_0027.JPG

And 2 pics of 2 of 4 L. hoehnei:

DSC_0024.JPG

DSC_0026.JPG

And Alberto´s sensational hybrid. :)

DSC_0025.JPG

And here the giant nut of the Samoan coconut. Gosh, what a colossus. :D

Currently I try to germinate the nut and hope for success.

DSC_0017.JPG