IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Indoor-Jungle in Germany

Z4Devil

Hi, folks.

News are available - since Wednesday my palms have to welcome a new "sister" - it´s name is Feodora ... all big or special palms have names. ;)

I am happy ...

And very soon you will be a part of the wonder, that Lytocaryum and Acanthophoenix (both tropicla, special palms) love Gladbeck in Germany. The A. rubra and rousselii are doing well. :)

Since Wednesday a new Kentia-palm has been arrived.

But look to the update of my little palm-world in Germany and enjoy if you like it. :)

Starts with Acanthophoenix ...

A.rubraLarge1.jpg

A.rubraLarge2.jpg

A.rubraLarge3.jpg

A.rousseliiLarge.jpg

To be continued in the next posting due to limitation of upöoaded images ...

• Upvote 1

Member of the ultimate Lytocaryum fan society :)

That 's a real beauty .

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

The Babies of the Acanthophoenix ...

A. rousselii

A.rousselii1.jpg

A.rousselii2.jpg

A.rousselii3.jpg

A. rubra

A.rubra1.jpg

tbd

Lytocaryum weddelianum

Lyto1.jpg

Lyto2.jpg

Lyto3.jpg

Lyto4.jpg

Edited by Z4Devil

The small seedlings have been growing from seeds ...

Lytoseedling1.jpg

Lytoseedling2.jpg

The Phoenix roebelliniis

Roebellinii1.jpg

RoebelliniiDB1.jpg

Successfully seeded Syagrus cearensis:

S.cearensis1.jpg

S.cearensis2.jpg

All plants together in the kitchen ...

All.jpg

A small seed and now a seedling of Pinanga speciosa

P.speciosa.jpg

A present from Miami ... Cocos nucifera

C.nuciferaseedling.jpg

Dictosperma album

D.album1.jpg

D.album2.jpg

Edited by Z4Devil

One of the rarest palms ... Lytocaryum hoehnei

L.hoehnei.jpg

Alexandra, the Howeia forsteriana.

Alex1.jpg

Alex2.jpg

Alex3.jpg

Dear Verena :)

Very nice collection of palms ! :greenthumb: And i must say your home theater too looks very nice,it appears you have a private collection of favouriate movies_cool. :)

And the wall marbel stone used in few areas looks really awasome.

That's a very beautiful house.

thanks for those big sized visuals,

love,

kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Good morning @ all. :) Sorry for yesterdays break-up of the photo session, but in the evening (or better night) it was too late for me, and I had go to sleep. Now I am at work and have to hurry, it starts in a few minutes.

Best View of all: we have weekend. Yeeeeeeah. :)

But now the most important thing I have to update in this Thread - that´s why I have startet it.

Look to this palm front ... is that not wonderful? I love it soooo much. A new Kentiapalm has been arrived, in the middle of the photo. It´s name is Feodora; the big one in the right sight is my Alexandra. B)

The photo has been made in the late evening, sorry, if it is a little bit dark in the background.

Palmworld_Gladbeck1.jpg

Palmworld_Gladbeck2.jpg

Palmworld_Gladbeck3.jpg

Edited by Z4Devil

Verena, what beautiful and healthy palms. You care for them well. And some unusual spiny ones, too. You must have to wear gloves and move carefully around them.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Verena,

You have quite a collection there and that's a very impressive palm jungle, especially considering your location! Best of luck with all your palms and any new exciting acquisitions! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Meg, Bo-Göran,

thank you so much. :) Meg, yes, I know the dangerous spins of e. g. the Acanthophoenix - and I take care anytime, promised.

Bo-Göran: absolutely. The next rarity will come in a near future. I am waiting a little bit for Gileno. :D

Joking aside ... not sure, what it will be ... but there is an option of a totally unknown Acanthophoenix that has been found on Réunion. B) I keep at it.

Love, Verena

Beautiful Handiwork Verena!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Thank you, Bill. :)

If anyone of you should be in Germany ever ... feel sincerely invited.

Hmm...reminds me of someone else's house.... :winkie:

Great job!

post-763-1257648985_thumb.jpg

zone 7a (Avg. max low temp 0 to 5 F, -18 to -15 C), hot humid summers

Avgs___Jan__Feb__Mar__Apr__May__Jun__Jul__Aug__Sep__Oct__Nov__Dec

High___44___49___58___69___78___85___89___87___81___70___59___48

Low____24___26___33___42___52___61___66___65___58___45___36___28

Precip_3.1__2.7__3.6__3.0__4.0__3.6__3.6__3.6__3.8__3.3__3.2__3.1

Snow___8.1__6.2__3.4__0.4__0____0____0____0____0____0.1__0.8__2.2

Hi, Mark - thank you, too for your kind posting. :)

And yes, I have had a look on your fantastic palm enselmble in your rooms. One word: GREAT! B)

Back to to the palms in my indoor rooms. Today I was in the mood to change some places of my palms. That means, Feodora (me new big Kentia Palm) moves from the living room one floor higher to the vestibule of the attic. It needs a lot of room and there it is available. The second (and larger) Roebellinii moved on the place of Feodora ... as shown in the photos below.

The place requirement of a Kentia palm with a size like Feodora is enormously ... on the other hand ... I don´t know ... the formerly arrangement looked better ...

Version 1 (with Feodora in the living room)

Ensemble1a.jpg

Ensemble4.jpg

Version 2 (the Robellinii in the living room)

Ensemble2a.jpg

Ensemble1.jpg

It is soooo difficult to make a decision ... to clarify he facts: of course the both Roebelliniis look good, they are beauties too ... but the extrem jungle feeling with Feodora has been gone a little bit. ;) Or not?

What is your view? Help needed ...

In the following posting you may see Feodora on it´s current new place.

Thanks, Verena! It all looks wonderful there.

Wow, moving palms that size up and down stairs? What a woman!

zone 7a (Avg. max low temp 0 to 5 F, -18 to -15 C), hot humid summers

Avgs___Jan__Feb__Mar__Apr__May__Jun__Jul__Aug__Sep__Oct__Nov__Dec

High___44___49___58___69___78___85___89___87___81___70___59___48

Low____24___26___33___42___52___61___66___65___58___45___36___28

Precip_3.1__2.7__3.6__3.0__4.0__3.6__3.6__3.6__3.8__3.3__3.2__3.1

Snow___8.1__6.2__3.4__0.4__0____0____0____0____0____0.1__0.8__2.2

Verena, you like a lot of spiny palm species, have you tried growing Roscheria melanochaetes? The jungle looks great, by the way!

Dear John,

to be honest (and certainly the most of you have noted it already), my favorite palms have feathers. In the whole flat only feather palms are to be found - I like and want it. ;) The more spiny and difficult to grow the better.

What exactly is a Roscheria melanochaetes? Never have heard about it, I am sorry.

Have had a look with google ... and yes, it is a nice palm. But ... has not those filigran leafes I love so much. The problem is, the most photos finding by google are very small. Does anybody have a photo of this palm which shows the palm at an age of ... let us say ... at least 10 years and more?

Thank you for your kind posting and all the best -

Verena :)

Dear John,

to be honest (and certainly the most of you have noted it already), my favorite palms have feathers. In the whole flat only feather palms are to be found - I like and want it. ;) The more spiny and difficult to grow the better.

What exactly is a Roscheria melanochaetes? Never have heard about it, I am sorry.

Have had a look with google ... and yes, it is a nice palm. But ... has not those filigran leafes I love so much. The problem is, the most photos finding by google are very small. Does anybody have a photo of this palm which shows the palm at an age of ... let us say ... at least 10 years and more?

Thank you for your kind posting and all the best -

Verena :)

Verena, they grow to about 10m in habitat. The leaflets are somewhat irregular, and quite a contrast to the look that you like, but for anyone interested in spiny palms they are a very attractive plant. I was hoping to ask you for growing advice, as I have some seedlings. They are indigenous to the Seychelles and I know you have success growing Acanthophoenix which come from a neighbouring island group.

John, mea culpa. From this point of view you are absolutely right. :) Spiny palms are my inspiration, yes.

Okay, the Acanthophoenix from Réunion do not grow, they pullulate! A very exciting and motivating emotion.

If you have one seedling left over ... I am ready, when you are. B)

Love, Verena

Verena, I have to say what you do is amazing! It makes me feel bad that I take some things for granted. You are a true Palmateer with great, if not incredible,spirit! (and collection)

What you look for is what is looking

Astonishing indoor palm collection Verena,a true indoor jungle indeed,especially looking towards your windows :drool::)

Your palms are very well grown,especially your Acanthophoenix! Mine unfortunately is still acclimating and produces progressively bigger leafs but at least it grows them fast,about 1 per month so it should be back to normal size soon! :) As you may saw at my thread,i love Acanthophoenix rubra a lot too and got another one,as i had planned from the beggining,for another spot in my garden! This one is about 80-90cm tall and a beauty but the acclimation phase lies in front of it...I hope this one acclimates right through as it only had a mild scale infestation and was in much better condition overall than my smaller one :)

I am also very interested to know what you do and get such good growth from your Acanthophoenix! :) How many leafs did your A. rubra grew from when you got it?My smaller one that i have some time now, has opened 3 to date...

Btw,your coconut is amazing too! I hope it thrives for you as it gets bigger :)

Wish you good growth for your palms! :)

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Bubba ... thank you so much, my friend ... ) You make me a little bit abashed ... but yes, you are right: after my family my palms are the love of my life. :)

Kostas, thank you so much for your lovely posting. :)

I have 3 A. rubra and 3. A. rousselii. The first of them was the A. rubra with 4 leafs; one of it I have to remove but a new is more than visible. It has been growing about 8 cm within 14 days and I am quite sure, this year it will expand to a full leaf.

Temperatures at about 25 °C and more, a warm shower with boiled and warm water every day and light are the secret ... and ... a loud "Good morning, Ladies" of me every morning. :D

But there is another reason to update this thread. Something unbelievable and great has been happened.

My 2 C. nucifera want to show me that they are alive ... the smaller one (a present from Miami) looks a little bit sick after a I had to disinfest it of coccids ... but do you know a better thanks than a new leaf?

I guess it will take weeks or months until the leafs are dark green ... but it is on a real good way.

C.nucifera_small1.jpg

C.nucifera_small2.jpg

C.nucifera_small3.jpg

Und now - the biggest surprise, the new leaf of the other C. nucifera ... what a day:

C.nucifera_M1.jpg

Edited by Z4Devil

Have a wine for me, all your palms look great :drool: you must love them even more than I love all my babies :)

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

Verena your palms look really good thanks for posting. I have only been to Amsterdam but never Germany yet but one day I hope to see your beautiful country.

David

Bruce, cheers, my friend. B)

David, if you ever should be in Germany ... give me a message, I am really looking forward to welcome friends of Pamtalk. :)

that is very imressive,especially since i have a hard time keeping ANY indoor plants alive! :greenthumb:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

that is very imressive,especially since i have a hard time keeping ANY indoor plants alive! :greenthumb:

Thank you so much. :)

But there is never too much work, never too muc efforts ... for success like this. Tropical feather palms are my dream for more than 19 years ... and it is more than pleasure to look at their growth although the most of them should not have it here in Germany. More thanks is not needed.

Love, Verena

• 1 month later...

Dear all -

the last day of the old year .. and some new impressions for you - declarations included. :)

Let´s start with the Acanthophoenix:

1. A. rousselii - by Thierry and original from Réunion. I hope I will see it´s first open leaf ...:

A.rousselii1.jpg

A.rousselii2.jpg

2. The beauty itself --> Acanthophoenix rubra. The followers of this thread will note the growing new leaf.

A.rubra1_1.jpg

A.rubra1_2.jpg

A.rubra1_3.jpg