IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Greetings from South Florida

MattyB

Yup, they made it! I don't have time to post pics till Monday night (jury duty :crying: ) & my battery took a crap, but I'll post what I have! The boys under a Fairchild Carpoxlyn canopy

post-1035-1257738784_thumb.jpg

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Well, scream, obscenities . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Yup, they made it! I don't have time to post pics till Monday night (jury duty :crying: ) & my battery took a crap, but I'll post what I have! The boys under a Fairchild Carpoxlyn canopy

That's very impressive, the palm trees I mean. :mrlooney:

and you blokes are looking fine as well.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

before the big show begins, here are a couple pics from my phone.

Pohonkelapa posing with a baby borassus

snark.jpg

Jeff Searle with the P man getting a tee-shirt

snark2.jpg

Christian Faulkner showing his palms, Bubba, and Jeff Searle

snark1.jpg

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

The gang looking for my golf ball...

snark4.jpg

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

--Avett Bros

Ken Johnson, Randy (PalmIsland) and the P man looking at their shaddows

snark5.jpg

Matt B challenging Harry Dawg to a dypsis debate

snark6.jpg

--Avett Bros

And now for some palm pics

up the skirt of a Copernicia baileyana

snark9.jpg

another

snark8.jpg

the best in show a copernicia fallaense

snark11.jpg

--Avett Bros

a gaggle of Kerriodoxa elegans

snark10.jpg

Copernicia macroglossa

anark12.jpg

--Avett Bros

an artsy shot

snark13.jpg

wild orchids

snark14.jpg

--Avett Bros

Paul and Matt are great guys and outstanding Palmsters. They truly know their stuff. Even Florida stuff. Here is a shot of Tikitiki(far left/all the way from Orlando), Matt, Paul and TikiRiki:

P1000073.jpg

Here is a shot of Pedro(sur4z)and Tikitiki:

P1000073.jpg

What you look for is what is looking

Woops:

P1000074.jpg

Ken gave a great tour around a number of areas of Fairchild. He truly knoweth his stuff too:

P1000041.jpg

He is like EF Hutton. When he talks,you listen. Alot of stuff not in the books.

We forgot Ken was a Palm tree hugger. Makes you feel bad for that 100 year old Pseudophoenix sargenti:

P1000045.jpg

Paul was trying to keep it from happening...

P1000058.jpg

At first I thought these Palms near Ken were Ravenas. Not even close. Something out of the ordinary. Does anyone remember?

Fairchild is a remarkable place. You could walk around for days and not take it fully in. Here is Harry Dawg from Costa Rica next to a Copernicia bailyana:

P1000028.jpg

Here is another shot of a Copernicia macroglossa, which I believe Matt got a special upskirt shot on:

P1000029.jpg

We all had a great day. In the afternoon we went down towards the Rain Forest area with Matt and Paul. We were joined by Geraldo of the Deerfield Arbitorium. Jerry really knows his stuff and it was great to have him point out many obscure specimens.

Here are some Pseudophoenix vinifera and players:

P1000043.jpg

Paul was shooting, Randy(Palmisland) was reloading and Ken was looking for the next venture into obscure Palmitis at Fairchild.

Paul at the base of a large Baobob?

P1000054.jpg

I hope Paul and Matt enjoyed it as much as the Florida contingent. If you need your blood pressure lowered, go to Fairchild.

Here is some weird Vinifera that was about a foot tall that Matt found and said it was 100 years old. We believed him:

P1000067.jpg

Get out of the way, Randy! Seriously, Matt really knew his stuff and reminded me of a Californian Christian Faulkner. He said he was going back to his Hawaian adventures to ID some of these obscurities.

P1000068.jpg

We all found the Hyphaene thebaica(Gingerbread/Doum) interesting because of it's dry African lineage. Still grows in humid South Florida!

We gotta get this back in the main forum...or maybe someone could start a new thread there..

great stuff and these are just phone pics I assume..

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

The Copernicia fallaense has a leaf color that is very different. Almost hyptnotizing:

P1000035.jpg

Double Coconut with Harry Dawg and Pedro:

P1000036.jpg

Copernicia tectorum,looking rather tectorumly:

P1000057.jpg

Alot more Palmy stuff to come from much better Palmsters than me. Sorry about the blurry shots. I think it was caused by the wind. I think I heard it scream Mary!(Jimi Hendrix-all you youngsters look it up)

Bubba- Thanks for capturing the moments.. Just heard briefly from the guys having a great time!

By the way, on post #100, I suspect Matty is looking at a 25 year old Pseudophoenix eckmanii. I just traded to him a nice 15year old one that was half that size... I think at 100 years old you wouldn't have to stoop to look at one. :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

We forgot Ken was a Palm tree hugger. Makes you feel bad for that 100 year old Pseudophoenix sargenti:

P1000045.jpg

Paul was trying to keep it from happening...

P1000058.jpg

At first I thought these Palms near Ken were Ravenas. Not even close. Something out of the ordinary. Does anyone remember?

On the last picture-- Attaleas I think.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Gene, You are right! I was looking through Rainforest Robert's Post and he ID's this Palm as an Attalea crassothopia(Sp?), a highly endangered Palm indigenous to Haiti.

Here is some weird Vinifera that was about a foot tall that Matt found and said it was 100 years old. We believed him:

WOWZ! That Pseudophoenix ekamanii has grown quite a bit! They must pick up speed as they get older...

Matt & Paul, hate that I missed you guys. We got h1n1 and sat around in our pj's all weekend. Looks like ya'll had a super duper swell-a-riffic time. Lookin forward to the threadz...

This was by far one of my favorite days in fairchild ( my kids are usually trying to pull me out.) It was great meeting all of you and we will need to do it again. Thanks again for lunch Bubba.

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

Sorry so late, but visitors & jury duty prevailed (luckely not picked for a high profile murder trial) & a few camera battery problems.

Jeff, Bubba & Christian plot to get a look at whatever is in Paul's secret backpack, while Pedro keeps a lookout for da boyz.

post-1035-1257818161_thumb.jpg

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Ryan's a mean photographer (mean in the good way) & will probably post a few photos of the South Florida Palm Society Sale conviently in progress. :)

Paul & Matt meet FM TikiRick.

post-1035-1257819006_thumb.jpg

post-1035-1257822278_thumb.jpg

Paul carries the backpack on odd days of the month & Matt on the evens........weird, maybe some sort of California thing :huh: as Dave looks on.

post-1035-1257819514_thumb.jpg

A variegated Pseudophoenix :drool: & Copernicias galore :mrlooney:

post-1035-1257819904_thumb.jpg

post-1035-1257819940_thumb.jpg

post-1035-1257819973_thumb.jpg

Paul, Ken, Matty & Bubba ponder lunch without beer :huh: & I forgot what this was with the strange leaves.

post-1035-1257820326_thumb.jpg

post-1035-1257820747_thumb.jpg

As Matt runs yelling yippie through the Carrabean palms, the PRA gang looks on in amazement.

post-1035-1257821970_thumb.jpg

post-1035-1257821988_thumb.jpg

post-1035-1257822006_thumb.jpg

Some random garden photos. Battery issues caused the loss of 42 photos :bummed:

post-1035-1257822720_thumb.jpg

post-1035-1257822746_thumb.jpg

post-1035-1257822980_thumb.jpg

I had the same thought as Tikitiki. I've been to Fairchild many times, but none were as satisfying as spending the day with all these knowledgeable palmheads! Also in attendance was Tree Zoo Jerry among the missing photos. One last one.

post-1035-1257824332_thumb.jpg

"I have come to avenge my father....prepare to die..."....

:floor:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Great pics everyone! What an exciting and busy week we've had. Sorry to all who we didn't have time to visit. Paul and I will start a travel log thread when we get back.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

palmisland Posted Yesterday, 10:17 PM

Ryan's a mean photographer (mean in the good way) & will probably post a few photos of the South Florida Palm Society Sale conviently in progress....

I am sorting through and editing the photos right now actually and will post them soon. It was great to meet Matt and Paul in person and to see so many Forum members in one place at one time. The show at Fairchild was too short as I could have taken way more photos than I did.

Ryan

South Florida

Great thread ,a real whirlwind tour of So Fla.

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Anyone get a photo of Dr Dransfield? I shoulda got his autograph! :D

Anyone get a photo of Dr Dransfield? I shoulda got his autograph! :D

Randy,

You missed it. John and Scott Zona sort of caught us all off guard and came strolling through the booth. As we were all talking, I grabbed a nice 1gallon size Dransfieldia micrantha off my table and sort of gave John a quiz on his "own palm". Lol! He passed with flying colors! Quite a few pictures were instantly taken by all standing there. It was a clssic moment.

PS......next time I'm grabbing a Dypsis seedling, :) It was a pleasure seeing you.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Yeah, Carpoxylon! :mrlooney: Thanks for the preliminary photos, guys. The Copernicia are impressive and the Pseudophoenix vinifera are very impressive. Looking forward to more from Ryan and Paul and everyone else.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.