IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Greetings from South Florida

MattyB

here are a few more pics from my phone...

here is a Hyphaene thebaica

s7.jpg

here's another

s1.jpg

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

an Attalea butyracea

s2.jpg

the gang eyeballing an endangered Attalea crassispatha

s4.jpg

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

--Avett Bros

look at the legs on this babe...a Pandanus

s5.jpg

this guy needs a shave...any ideas what it is

s8.jpg

--Avett Bros

Ken says this is a living fence

s3.jpg

this is where Bubba wants to be buried

s6.jpg

--Avett Bros

The Boyz left early this A.M. Maybe the new post will start tonight so while off topic here lets tell some more wierd stories before the fireworks go off on Travel Log.

Did you know Matty had an Evil Twin?

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

Some amazing palms, and somewhere I hope to visit one day. Paul and Matty, thanks for being such stars! Looking forward to seeing your version of events when you get back to SoCal!

John, Matty B and the P man were a hoot, but the real star was The Fairchild Garden. Here are a few mor pics from my phone.

some ginger, I think

s12.jpg

air plants

s13.jpg

--Avett Bros

another shot of the best in show...the Copernicia fallaense

s11.jpg

not quite sure about this one...maybe a Copernicia Hospita

s9.jpg

not sure about this one either...maybe a Syagrus coronata

s10.jpg

--Avett Bros

Thanks guys, now this is getting too palmy for a non palmy section :lol:

Some of these palms have clocked up some years no doubt.

Am too looking forward to whatsisname and whosameejar posting in the main forum

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Thanks guys, now this is getting too palmy for a non palmy section :lol:

Ditto that, Wal. I can't drool properly in the off topic forum. Even the Travel Log forum is more appropriate: "Palms from local trips and exotic travels.."

Sur4z - still loving the photos!

s5.jpg

s8.jpg

Arenga pinnata

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

This thread really no longer belongs in Ohana Nui so I moved it again, this time to Travel Logs. And this is really where it should have been all along - if only there had been a few photos right from the very beginning (and not even necessarily of palms). In the future so we can avoid a similar situation, please keep in mind that any new thread in Discussing Palms needs to have some palm related topic or comment or question or photo right at the very beginning. Likewise, any new thread in Travel Logs need to have (ideally) some photos from the trip, even though that's not technically necessary. A written travel report will work as well, even though we all obviously prefer photos!

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I managed to manipulate a few more photos.

post-1035-1257896255_thumb.jpg

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Bubba, Ken & Da Boyz riding off into the sunset B) Hang on Bubba!

post-1035-1257899570_thumb.jpg

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

s5.jpg

s8.jpg

Does anybody know the species of this pandanus? It has no spines and gets very tall before branching. I would never take any seeds but, as I was walking by some seeds accidentally fell into my pocket. I didn't realize this until later of course.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Pandanus amaryllifolius. The leaves have a musky/tropical scent. The leaves are widely used in cooking in SE Asia Its used to flavor rice and other dishes.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Do you know this one Eric ?

post-42-1257338690.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Thanks E-Man!

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Wal,

Looks like Pandanus ratpakus knobbykneeicus.

Actually, it looks like a giant one I saw in the Babinda area right in the front yard on the Bruce Highway. Got a pic of the whole thing?

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Wal,

Looks like Pandanus ratpakus knobbykneeicus.

Actually, it looks like a giant one I saw in the Babinda area right in the front yard on the Bruce Highway. Got a pic of the whole thing?

:lol:

Like to see that pic sometime in the other plant threads, being a bit partial to pandanus.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Just a reminder................

Because some fun threads, such as this one, seem like they might be a free for all, it is even more important to remember to stay close to the topic. And when someone strays, it helps if others don't respond and elicit more off topic ramblings. (FYI - about two dozen off topic posts have been deleted)

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Do you know this one Eric ?

post-42-1257338690.jpg

No but that specimen is incredible! I'm trying to read the tag but too small. Is it P. monotheca ???

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Dear Friends :)

Beautiful visuals.. :drool: But i like to know what variety of borassus is seen in the still shown below ? :hmm: Really that's a beauty & a easy contender to a corypha palm.And the fronds looks so smooth without any hook like spines ?

Thanks & Love,

kris :huh:

palmsale11709002.jpg

Pohonkelapa posing with a baby borassus

snark.jpg

:drool:

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Paul and I are back at work trying to catch up. Photos and videos in a new travel log thread will be posted as soon as possible. I'm pooped. Literally. I've had the runs for 3 days after eating Nato sushi, a bacteria ridden dish thats supposed to clean you out. Well it cleaned me out, that's for sure.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Thanks for sharing. :sick: Look forward to the pics and vids.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

you are lucky you were on THIS coast when it was at its worst in florida.

his heinie left a swath of destruction across 2 counties.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

The plane ride back home must have been eventful for Matt. :bemused:

Paul and I are back at work trying to catch up. Photos and videos in a new travel log thread will be posted as soon as possible. I'm pooped. Literally. I've had the runs for 3 days after eating Nato sushi, a bacteria ridden dish thats supposed to clean you out. Well it cleaned me out, that's for sure.

ITAI!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

The rain in Spain falls mainly on the Plain . . . .

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Were you in Fla or Hillcr........awe.....nevermind. :lol:

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Stand by everyone. Even though this thread is kind of dead I have been in touch with the Boyz and there will be an epic thread started on Monday or so. This will be the Mother of all Threads and will feature video as well as stories that will live in infamy to be told at Biennials and major PRA's. Stay tuned palm nuts! :o

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

Stand by everyone. Even though this thread is kind of dead I have been in touch with the Boyz and there will be an epic thread started on Monday or so. This will be the Mother of all Threads and will feature video as well as stories that will live in infamy to be told at Biennials and major PRA's. Stay tuned palm nuts! :o

Thanks for the update Ken. :)

I was concerned that MattyB had not recovered from the Sakura squirts yet. :lol:

Itai!