IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Welcome to Brandon, FL

Palmə häl′ik

Nice little species.

Do you grow from seeds or buy like they are or smaller?

You have a wonderful and multiple palm portfolio!

Its a pleasure to take a lokk at all them!!!

Edited by rafael

Ray -

Nice pics of all the palms. After this winter I will have to stop and take a look at everything again. I definitely want to get more in my yard but not to sure what is going to make it through the winter. I should be able to tell by how everything does for you.

Great collection, :drool::mrlooney: I hope winter goes well for you, the Arenga Engleri looks close to your driveway, if its like mine it will clump and get quite big, but it should look great, love the Chambeyronia's :) .

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

Thanks again for stoppin' in everyone...

Yeah George, anytime bro. You know where I'm at. Being in Seffner, have you seen those CoCos on 579 & 92? Head North on 579 toward WallyWorld from 92 and look on the right... There's two there. I've been watching them for three years now... I think they'll make it.

Bruce, that A. engleri's got about 5-6 ft of growing room before it reaches either driveway... Going the other ways, it'll run into the water oak, which I want it too... and I'm sure I'll be eventually taking out some pineapples and lilies as the palm grows... That's fine, I reckon.

Rafael. Is that you in the avatar? GeezLouEeez. You gotta cover up man. This is a family-based site!

Back to bizness... Everything planted should have what size container it came in my descriptions... I do grow from seed aswell though. It's the palm madness runin' in my blood... :)

Grow palms grow! :)

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

Ray,

Nice plant'in. Can't wait to see what your place looks like in 10 years and all those palms are grown up. Like the diversity you have.

I used to live in Sarasota in the mid 90's - went to Ringling. Worked as a gardener's assistant at Jungle gardens and surfed holmes beach allot(as well as siesta key and lido) I'm a bit puzzled on why you say Bradenton is zone 9b ?? I don't remember it getting that cold when I lived there.

I also lived in Naples for like 15 years. FL has so much heat & so many tropical species grow there. Good to see you take advantage of that.

Vince Bury

Zone 10a San Juan Capistrano, CA - 1.25 miles from coast.

http://www.burrycurry.com/index.html

Mornin' Vince.

Bradenton is 25min South of Brandon.

Brandon is EastTampa.

Ringling is a 'art' school right? Kinda like Flagler up in St.Augustine?

Thanks again to all for checkin' me out.

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

Almost forgot my little cluster of Wodyetia bifurcata's

Spring '09

Two 7gal's & two 3gal's

post-3028-1256637048_thumb.jpg

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

Nice Foxies Ray, they look realy healthy, better than many I have seen in pictures from the US of A.

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

Ray - you are definitely zone pushing on some of your posted species. With everything you have in the ground, a future microclime is in the works. I would suggest that you mulch the crap out of everything planted in the ground now. Make it 6 - 8 inches thick and about 1 foot beyound the drip line of the fronds. The mulch will insulate your roots from the winter cold. It will also provide some warmth to the meristems of your palms that are around ground level right now. It is my experience that adding just a few more degrees makes a world of difference. As your trunks develope and your palms have gone through a couple of winters, they will be more cold hardy and you should be fine. :D

Very nice selection.Thank you for taking the time to post your garden plantings. :)

Ron.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

I think I can, I think I can... :)

I had some surprise survivors this past winter, so I'm a believer...

That Dictyosperma album made it through with a 24F low last winter... Right where it's at...

The purpurea too...

Minor spotting on the D. album, and a little frond damage to the purpurea...

If those made it, I'd say I can grow some ish. My crotons thrive under this LiveOak canopy... They're suppose to be a little 'tender' too right? I've got some that I first planted when I got the house in '03. They're hittin' the roof line... Time to learn how to 'air layer' some crotons! :D

Thanks again to all for checkin' me out...

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

Update on the G. princeps:

I've since done some diggin' around on them and come to find out they're like Pseudophoenix sargentii's being in habitat in or around limestone.

I just happen to have some limestone/shell chunks leftover from some mix I used with my P. sargentii's & Wallichia distichas. I reckon they ought to enjoy it? These chunks go all the way down to the bottom of the containers...

I got a 5gal bucket and mixed up a nice batch of this:

post-3028-1256733327_thumb.jpg

post-3028-1256733416_thumb.jpg

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

Picked this up today along w/ some cool crotons!

Latania lontaroides

25gal

post-3028-1257100435_thumb.jpg

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

That Dictyosperma album made it through with a 24F low last winter... Right where it's at...

The purpurea too...

If those made it, I'd say I can grow some ish. My crotons thrive under this LiveOak canopy... They're suppose to be a little 'tender' too right? I've got some that I first planted when I got the house in '03. They're hittin' the roof line... Time to learn how to 'air layer' some crotons! :D

Would love to see your crotons! :drool: The International Croton Society Forum could help you on air layering. :)

The purpurea too...

Would love to see your crotons! :drool: The International Croton Society Forum could help you on air layering. :)

Please also post these on the new ICS site. :drool:

New Site for the International Croton Society HERE with a new Gallery HERE, and an area for Unknown Cultivar IDs HERE

This Basselinia gracilis is gonna be one pretty palm if I can keep it alive! I couldn't help taking a few pics...

post-3028-1257370534_thumb.jpg

post-3028-1257370600_thumb.jpg

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

Gaussia princeps update:

Seems to appreciate the new potting material.

I've got a little over a inch of growth since the re-potting...

Not too shabby for the lack of sunlight we've had all week from this T.S. Ida deal goin' on...

post-3028-1257884109_thumb.jpg

post-3028-1257884210_thumb.jpg

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

I had to move my Chambeyronia macrocarpa var. hookeri over to the side of the house... It was getting just too much sun where it was at, causing the leaves to start bleaching... I think it'll be alot happier over here in some shade... I put a 15gal Pytchosperma elegans there to replace it...

post-3028-1257894148_thumb.jpg

post-3028-1257894227_thumb.jpg

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

Ptychosperma elegans & I got a unbelievable deal on these three 25gal Wodyetias... They're lookin' a little rough, but I'll have 'em in tip top shape by next Spring! They've been a little deprived sittin' around on a nursery lot...

post-3028-1257894402_thumb.jpg

post-3028-1257894524_thumb.jpg

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

Ray,

Love the Basselinia, it's "great mate" :) , I get tied just looking at the work you are doing in every post, everything looks so healthy keep posting.

Bruce

I've seen a fully mature coconut palm in front of a restaurant (I think) that is right next to a Lowes not far from where you live. I'm sure you know which one I'm talking about. I was amazed that a coconut could grow to that size in Brandon. I guess the heat island of being right in the middle of a big city and surrounded by black asphalt helps keep the frost away.

Zeeth - he is a pic of that coconut palm taken last weekend - its hanging in there

Bill

post-3381-1258695925_thumb.jpg

Bill

Zone 9A - West Central Florida in Valrico

East of Brandon and Tampa

Kinda torn and tattered, but alive none-the-less!

So much for, "you can't grow those in Brandon!" :floor:

I've been noticing them left and right now adays...

Now that I'm lookin'... :D

Have you seen the ones in front of Exotic Plumeria Bill? I think those are the 'talls'.

That place is two minutes from me! If those things are growin'....

I need to plant more palms!

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

Have you seen the ones in front of Exotic Plumeria Bill? I think those are the 'talls'.

That place is two minutes from me! If those things are growin'....

I need to plant more palms!

Bill

Zone 9A - West Central Florida in Valrico

East of Brandon and Tampa

Wow Ray, I recognize that Basselinia and a few other palms in there LOL. That Carpoxylon is doing well also. Please keep me informed on how my former children do for you.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

• 1 year later...

omg.

it's so funny to see this...

three fourths of this ish is in palm heaven.

trial and error; my friends.

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

omg.

The past few winters weve all lost some stuff that were "stretches".

My big long shots in Tarpon Springs were things like P. pacifica and C. nucifera. These are all gone now. Some looked like they might come back, but I didnt want to look at them all summer, so they met the chainsaw. The other long term marginals here (Roystonea, Veitchia, planted in the open, etc) made it with some having leaf damage to various degrees.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

omg.

I hate it for you, but reading this thread from the beginning, I didn't think many of your choices would work...

Bright side: There are many choices for your neck of the woods that are not marginal!

I hate it for you, but reading this thread from the beginning, I didn't think many of your choices would work...

Bright side: There are many choices for your neck of the woods that are not marginal!

It was like, I'll take one of each when I bought all those palms. :drool:

Most of the palms died at the hands of myself...

Over-fertilization was the main reason. That, and continual watering during frosts.

Duh. Don't water when there's frost warnings for tonight. :huh:

Live and learn... I did pretty good last year with nothing at all dyin'.

It's tough growin' in my neck o da woods.

But I just love the thought of tryin' to beat mothernature.

...One day I'll figure it out.

~Ray.

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

Ray, how about some pics of what did survive :D

Bruce

But I just love the thought of tryin' to beat mothernature.

...One day I'll figure it out.

~Ray.

If you do, youll be a gazillionaire! Growing palms in Brandon will be the least of your pursuits!

Larry 

I agree with Lowey, show us some update pictures of the ones that survived!! :greenthumb:

Palm Beach Palm and Cycad Society Member (IPS Affiliate)

North Palm Beach

I agree with Lowey, show us some update pictures of the ones that survived!! :greenthumb:

Shoot...after the past two winters...this will pretty much answer the question.......LOL

queen_1.jpg

Edited by spockvr6

Larry 

:mrlooney:

I get piccies tommorrow for you. (or should I pull a santory) :hmm: Naw. just playin! :winkie:

Kerriodoxa elegans has been my longest living palm.

She's endured three long years of my trials and tribulations, and just keeps on comin' back.

And one of the very first ones I'd gotten.

Edited by Palmə häl′ik

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

Here's the latest two additions. Sabal mauritiiformis:

post-3028-014130800 1314913869_thumb.jpg

post-3028-064691100 1314913919_thumb.jpg

post-3028-063839400 1314913938_thumb.jpg

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

Here's a few Livistonia chinensis...

And then looking down the side of the house C. microspadix with two tiny Arenga engleris:

post-3028-017549800 1314914114_thumb.jpg

post-3028-018138600 1314914265_thumb.jpg

post-3028-041686600 1314914284_thumb.jpg

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy