IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cilindrocladium in Howea Fosteriana

Rafael

I have a medium sized howea inside my home, for two months ago.

It is trunked, yellow and a little green.

Has 5 leafs and a new spear coming.

Light enough.

Humidity enough.

But recently some short signals of whar i think it is this disease.

I will upload photos in 24 hours.

Do you find apropriate the treatment to be copper sulfate?

And must i cut the only leaf affected?

Just in the trunk, behind old parts of old leafs already cut, some spors, pink coloured.

Thank u

When any of my house plants get a fungus or a pest problem, I take it outdoors immediately. Sit it somewhere reasonable shady and give a strong high pressure water hosing to get off the surface of the pest or fungus. I let it dry and only then do I apply a spray of a suitable pesticide or funguscide to the affected area. I tend to leave them outdoors from that time on, as if brought back inside the infestation often returns. If they cannot survive winter outdoors then I bring them inside for winter only. Your howea should be fine outdoors all year. They dont like frost but cold does not worry them.

Good luck, it is too beautiful to lose.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

I will consider your advisements.

Well, concerning to bringing outside in winter, the problem is 10/15 days in winter, we have some frost here, and i have fear she becomes damaged.

Anyhow i stoped giving water to her, and being watching its behaviour!

Yes, she is very nice and elegant! How i want her near me, just inside my home!

Wow. I'd have to say that Howea's been around for awhile... :mrlooney:

Nice palm.

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

Yes Ray, i am a lucky howea's owner.

She arrived inside just two months ago.

I expect she lives here inside for so many months.

When she grows a lot, i wil put her in the warmer side of outside home.

:unsure:

Sorry, I don't really see any disease...The yellow is normal on Kentias when you take a leaf base off. It will green up in a bit. The frond that has some burn on it seems normal for an older frond that got sun burned. What are the signs that you think it is diseased?

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Just in the trunk, behind old parts of old leafs already cut, some dust in circles, pink coloured, wich i suppose were spors.

Edited by rafael

I too have to say that your Howea seems perfectly fine,although the pictures are not the best to rule out everything due to their small size. Post a close up of the problem so that we can see exactly how it looks like.

The only thing i would suggest is to plant this big beauty outside as now is a good time and the trunk can still harden and endure the outside conditions without the sundamage you can have in indoor grown trunked Howea. If you leave it more inside and you latter want to plant it outside,its trunk will eventually damage from sun unless planted under canopy or with canopy all arround it.Plus,for inside,a non yet trunking Howea does the job fine and needs many many years to reach this stage so if you want a Kentia for that spot,a slightly smaller one would be better for keeping potted for years to come than this one that is already trunking and already needs a much bigger pot to develop its trunk properly :)

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

The pink spores are probably Pink rot or Gliocladium blight.

Maybe the "pink spores" are pink scale. Scale does like the leaf bases of Howea.

Photo will show it, if you have macro

CHRIS

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

No suggestions about how to face this disease?

How often do you water it, have you fertilized it? :blink:

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

Kostas and Chris: i will try to upload (tomorrow) a macro photo at the trunk, but those spores went away, i have cleaned them. However still remain brown points.

Bags and Chris (about spors): and so, what could i do to face those spors if they return?

Lowey: this palm arrived indoors two months ago; then i began watering weekly, and pulverizing leafs when it was too hot; i fertilized it only once, because autumn did arrive.

Rafael,

I have many Howeas outside. I am 55m asl. You are lower so you might have more frost. We usually get only a couple of days frost but as my jungle evolves I get less and less frost. Last year I had next to no damage although it was very cold. Depending on your lows Howeas could do even better than the Syagrus you have (very maritime climate). Have you tried Rhopalostylos?

Jason

Jason Baker

Central coastal Portugal

Zone 10a, 1300mm rain

warm-temperate, oceanic climate

looking for that exotic tropical island look

Today i cannot upload colse up photos of my wonderful kentia palm indoors.

However, can say that the yellow parts of the trunk are fastly becoming green.

I will uoload sooner, and then i will ask your opinion.

I am planning to put it outside, after the frost time, maybe in March.

Its pot was changed when it arrived two months ago. This one has 50 % more capacity than the other.

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder if my howea has or not a kind of a disease.

The oldest leaf felt down yesterday, the branch was in a v position. Too strange, because the branch was apparently healthy and solid. The leaf is the one that had brown zones (photos above).

I dont understand if it is a symptom of a disease, or if it is a normal behaviour of the palm, considering it is apparently healthy.

Only at the top, the spear is thin, brown and dry, as you can see on these photos. Normal?

I dont know if it is from too much or few watering.

Can anyone help?

post-3292-1259003653_thumb.jpg

post-3292-1259003672_thumb.jpg

My lovely howea, as i said on the last post, lost the older leaf (on the left, loking at the palm photo), misteriously, and, after a new leaf opened, seem to stop its growth.

I wonder if it is normal, or if it is because of living inside (warm equipments, few sunlight).

I am thinking about puting her outside. However, as we have some light frost here, i wonder if it is better to put her on the opposite side (west) of the morning sun. This west side has some maritime winds. What is the best side to make it?

What do you people think about making this right now, near winter, or maybe wait a couple os months for spring time?

Help please.

post-3292-1259421853_thumb.jpg

post-3292-1259422271_thumb.jpg

Rafael,

You should plant it outside next spring maybe around april . Kentias grow really well down here in Hobart Tasmania and we get plenty of cold weather and frost . Here is one from a local park .

post-1252-1259449875_thumb.jpg

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Thanks Troy! But i am wondering the right side to plant it in the ground: east (morning sun) or west (sea winds, but morning shadow).