IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My little Coconut is growing up

pg6922

Howdy Yall,

As with many palm lovers, my favorite palm is the Cocos Nucifera. Being able to grow this palm is a real treat and even though there are so many down here in SW Florida, I try to never take them for granted. This is the story of my first coconut that I found floating in the water. It really is amazing how fast they grow in the right conditions. My little coconut is now showing its first signs of reproduction. Truly a fascinating palm. I dont think my Veitchia Arecina is even this quick...amazing growth from seed to a little over 2 years.

6-9-2007

3CoconutPalm.jpg

10-22-09

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

• Upvote 1

Cape Coral,FL Southwest

Zone 10a

LSUAvatar1-1.jpg

GOOD HEAVENS!

That IS FAST . . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Wow! I have coconut palms that have flowered only after developing over 10 ft of clean trunk. Except the dwarf types which will flower and put on fruits that lay on the ground. If that is making you think yours might be a dwarf, but you want a large coconut palm, don't despair. Many of the dwarf ones are only smaller because the growth rings on the trunk between leaves are about 1/2 inch apart so they grow tall much more slowly but can have large and beautiful crowns.

garrin in hawaii

Holy crap, that IS fast! Great looking Coconut! Looks perfectly grown.

I have some Talls that I planted two years ago as sprouting nuts and they are 1/3 that size!

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Whoa! That is incredible, Patrick. Great growth from your floating orphan.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Congratulations Pg, I'm so envious!!! :rage::rage::rage:

I can't grow this palm in my climate, but I like very much to see yours successes with this palm!!!

Ciao

Giovanni

Noci (BA) Italia

350m a.s.l.

Zone 8b

All three of these are different variations of Cocos Nucifera. I have been trying to do some research on the Cocos N and it seems as though its tough to ID the variety of young Coconut palms especially if the petioles are green. Anyhoo, they do grow amazingly fast, I just wish they were easier to identify other than" thats a Cocos Nucifera". These were all obtained from from floating in the many miles of canals here in Cape Coral.

Here is 8 months growth. I make sure there is always visible fert on the ground. They get much TCL.

2-22-09

DSC_0051.jpg

10-22-09

DSC_0018.jpg

Cape Coral,FL Southwest

Zone 10a

LSUAvatar1-1.jpg

I hope my talls will get growth rates like those! That's amazing! If I were you, I'd cut the spathe off so it doesn't waste energy on fruit, and it can put 100% of it's energy into growing, so you'll see trunk in less than a year. That's just me though

Keith

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

I planted a dwarf Malay to make up for the several that got blown over and chopped down after Cyclone Larry .

My dwarf would have pretty much same growth as yours , but as yet I have not noticed any flowers coming .

At least I now know what to look for . Tremendous growth for one out of the wet tropics , congratulations .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

• 3 weeks later...

I think that's a Yellow Malayan you have there due to the bright yellow color of the petiole. The coconuts too until they ripen will be a bright yellow if it is a Yellow Malayan. All the Malayans are known to fruit within 3-4 years of sprouting so yours is right on schedule which also makes me think it is a pure Yellow Malayan. Malayans self polinate. Yours will probably have its first coconuts within a year. It takes about 11-12 months for Malayan coconuts to ripen after they emerge on the flower stalks. When yours has coconuts, I would be interested in getting some from you that I could sprout over here in Texas. The coconut palm is becoming very popular in the Lower Rio Grande Valley, but the local nurseries very seldom have them there. You can reach me at my email at: mr.coconutpalm@yahoo.com

John

:drool::drool::)

UNBELIEVABLE! Fantastic little speedster! Well done, great work! :greenthumb:

I wish my coconut palms would be of such a growth rate. In Germany they are happy if they doesn´t die ... growth is nearly a sensation ... *sniff*

Have 2 coco´s, too ... one of them (the smaller) is showing a little new leaf. Hope it will be alive for many years ...

Best regards, Verena

Member of the ultimate Lytocaryum fan society :)

Coconut threads, I luv 'em, should be more.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Patric,

Please tell us your secrets to growing them so FAST!! I have allways heard not to plant them untill they have a trunk, but i see yours in the ground as seedlings.

Next spring i will follow your lead!!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Keep us updated every few months on this coconut. This is by far my number 1 favorite palm

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

That growth is AMAZING!!! :yay:

I have a green malayan that I planted earlier this year, two yellow malayans and three red spicatas still in pots. It would be great if they would grow as fast as yours.

Vero Beach, FL

If only that happens in California! Not even a Robusta would go that fast in CA, well at least not in nor-cal.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science