IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

IPS Biennial Pictures

Kathryn

Ryan has been doing a great job of documenting our trip, but I have some photos he doesn’t have.

On the 6th day of the biennial, several green team members selected option B for the day. Andrea Searle, Judy Norris, Claude Roatta and I hired a taxi to show us around for the day.

Our first stop was at a beach about 30 minutes from the hotel in Barahona. There wasn’t any sand, just beach pebbles that gave a great foot massage.

IMG_5292.jpg

IMG_5294.jpg

Does anyone recognize these toes?

IMG_5300.jpg

Judy and I are enjoying the refreshing surf.

IMG_5302.jpg

After an hour or so at the beach, we wandered a few hundred yards to where a stream comes down the mountain and meets the ocean.

The water was crystal clear and very cold. At the bottom of the steam were the same pebbles we found on the beach.

IMG_5303.jpg

IMG_5305.jpg

There was a little food and beverage stand near this lagoon and we were able to purchase our favorite beverages!

Very nice photos Kate! The beach and stream look like a great photographic background, I would have had a good time there. This took place when the majority of attendees went to Sierra de Bahoruco National Park. I never did get to a Dominican beach during the biennial, but I live 20 minutes from a Florida one. I still would have enjoyed the photo opportunities on that beach, my trigger finger itches just thinking about it.

Ryan

Yes, Kate I do know your toes well, along with that shade of nailpolish. They had a lot of showtime next to the hotel pools during the biennial.

• Upvote 1

South Florida

Nice photos Kate, very "tropical paridise".

Only a gulf/east coaster would call that surf.  Dead give away.  I guess the surf report was "toe high today w/ a couple of over ankle sets".  haha  :laugh:  Just messin' with ya.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

(Kathryn @ Nov. 18 2006,22:53)

Ryan has been doing a great job of documenting our trip, but I have some photos he doesn’t have.

On the 6th day of the biennial, several green team members selected option B for the day. Andrea Searle, Judy Norris, Claude Roatta and I hired a taxi to show us around for the day.

Our first stop was at a beach about 30 minutes from the hotel in Barahona. There wasn’t any sand, just beach pebbles that gave a great foot massage.

IMG_5292.jpg

IMG_5294.jpg

IMG_5300.jpg

IMG_5302.jpg

nice toes ; -  )

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

That is some beautiful water there. I bet it was so warm. It makes me want to go back to that Beach in San Carlos Sonora, but the rocks there were painful, not good for a foot massage, but the water was so warm and nice.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

Looks like Epipremnum is a problem there at that waterfall. Is it a bad weed in the DR in some natural areas? It looked like most of the places you all visited were pretty dry most of the time.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

Kate,

Come on, we want to see the secret pics.   :D

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I hear BS Man about Palms is looking for a few good "Ranch Hands" . ALL 4 of you could fit the bill. With the holidays coming up, maybe you can pick up some extra cash$ on the side. Good luck and happy holidays. :D

to Kate

Thanks for all pictures, those very great, Nics Beach!! & Nice Pics!! so beautiful

Komkrit Yensirikul

Bangkok, Thailand /17C to 40C Avg32C /rain 4 months a year.

Many thanks for the extra DR pics Kate.

Looking thro the pics will sure take me back to that fantabulous Palmfest and warm me up during our UK winter (I have already had to start the log fire as the gas boiler has died).

Oh yeah I can guess the identity of them toenails: it can only be Jack!

Love and Regardez

Juan

Juan

Dear Kathyrin  :)

the still no.1 deserves special mention since it appears

like a fentastic post card.worth sending to all your

friends as memorablia of your tour.

thanks for those beautiful beach stills and i & our

members all felt truely left out.We feel sorry that

we did not attend that tour.i think you know the

feeling.

And my best wishes for that macho man seen amoung

u folks_that guy out there is living my dream for sure ! :D

Anyway thanks for sharing those joyful moments.

Love,

Kris(India).

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kate, looks like you found an oasis in the desert.  Very different feel from the dry looking locales of Ryan's pics.  Thanks.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

(Kathryn @ Nov. 24 2006,16:16)

Okay Jeff, is this what you're looking for?

IMG_5319.jpg

OOOOOO....Very HANDY Indeed!!   Need Christmas cash?.... :D   Always work to be done here. :P

UUmmmm, we are  NOT an equal oppurtunity employer, No work for Claude!  :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Wow, I just can't get over that limestone!  It looks so inhospitable.  How things grow in it amazes me.  I wonder how they removed it for the course?  Thanks for the pics Kathryn.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Kate, about those toes and my foot fetish......  Just kidding.  

It was good to see you at the Bishock's last weekend.  The red beans and rice were fantastic!

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B