IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm Soc. Southern California November Meeting

Phil

Group,

The next meeting of the PSSC is this Saturday, November 18th in Fallbrook, CA.  There will be a garden tour, two guest speakers on palms, and an auction/raffle.  Please go to this link for details.

November Meeting PSSC  

Phil Bergman

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

BTW, the two speakers are:

1.  Leland Lai (President PSSC) on the IPS Biennial in the Dominican Republic this October

and

2.  Justen Dobbs on palm species native to Mexico with recent habitat photographs on various species.

It should be really good.

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Not that it will be the draw of the palms or the speakers, but I picked up (had mailed) some Palm care and deficiency solutions brochures from Lutz Corp.

Some of the most detailed info in a foldout brochure I've ever seen.  I'll have some available at the meeting.

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I got one of these tri-folds from Bill.  It's totally a nice little reference for any palm grower.  Very informative.  Thanks Bill for thinking of us.  Good community thinking.  Nice work buddy.  Nice buns....whoah.....I think I went a little too far there.  I have no clue what I'm saying.  I could always delete that ya know.  I'll leave it for your viewing pleasure...ahhhh this is getting sad.  Gotta go...sorry.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Well, we were stuck in that little cab of my truck for several hours Saturday.........   I'm glad I had the manual floor shifter to keep you over on your side!  :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(BS, Man about Palms @ Nov. 16 2006,23:51)

Well, we were stuck in that little cab of my truck for several hours Saturday.........   I'm glad I had the manual floor shifter to keep you over on your side!  :D

You like him better on his side? (I always wondered how it worked...)

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

Seriously guys, didn't we start this nonsense before the last meeting?  Somehow I'm always involved.  hmmmmmmm Anyway, for anyone not scared away yet, check out the PSSC meeting in Fallbrook.  It will be awesome and don't worry, I won't be there, so it's safe.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

At our PSSC Meetings, it's pretty rare that we get speakers except at the Banquet in January.  It's a real treat to get educated about palms in addition to seeing a garden.  One of my favorite parts of the IPPS Biennials has always been the great speakers that are gathered from around the world.

Phil

Great meeting!

Had the pleasure of meeting a few of the people in RL that frequent this board (RL= real life).

Speakers were exceptional...and the potluck was great!

Those in attendance definitely made out like bandits on some of the auction items (great job handling the auction Phil Bergman!), especially on items like the Louie Hooper crosses and the debao seedling.

Saw a 15 gallon Bizmarkia nobilis go for $35!!!

This was my first meeting ( just joined the PSSC today...don't know what took me so long!)

Due to the fact that I had massive amounts of watering to do this morning, I misssed the tour of the garden...I heard it was beautiful.

Nice people...great fun!

Well, we want to see some pictures guys. Start putting them up. :D

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I didn't take any pictures, plus the poor camera I had would have made it look drier than it was.   It primarilly was a Cactus/succulent garden with a few of the drought tolerant palms thrown in.  

While I do prefer the lush green jungle type gardens, it was nice to see the other varieties of plants that I don't always stop to notice.

Its a struggle for them to plant any Jungle types, they are in the bottom of a low inland valley and they regularly get below 30 degrees in the winter.

All very immaculate though!

Slide shows were great, and Leland posted that pic of that unusual "tree" with the long wide leaves near the entrance to the "federal garden" that everyone was taking seeds of, but wasn't a palm.   I know Ryan posted a pic and named it, but it would take me over an hour to find it!!!  :D

I know I saw others taking pics.. Kim?, Steve.?

I think you're talking about the Clavija dominguensis?  And does anyone have any extra seed they'd like to sell??

San Fernando Valley, California

I'll post a few photos, but you're going to ask "Where are all the palms?" I was so entranced by the general landscaping that I forgot to focus on the palms.  As Bill mentions, the climate in Fallbrook dictates cold-tolerant species, so use your imagination! :P

Entry sentries:  Grandeza azteca pots frame the entry to the Wanda Mallen and Gary Vincent home.

PalmSocietyTour001.jpg

You'd never know it, but there is a board meeting proceeding in the shade of the elegant veranda.

PalmSocietyTour032.jpg

North side of house:

PalmSocietyTour002.jpg

Colorful ramada, west side of lot:

PalmSocietyTour003.jpg

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Keep in mind, this garden represents only seven years of growth.  Wanda Mallen and Gary Vincent have accomplished a great deal in that short time.  One wanders from garden "room" to garden "room" on the property, and each section is more inviting than the last.  In addition to a long drive flanked by palms, cacti, and succulents, there are dry stream beds, small ponds, a fern-filled shade garden, several sections of lathehouse filled with tillandsias and bromeliads, a glasshouse with an exotic collection of succulents in a remarkable variety of pots, an intimate atrium off the master bedroom, a sheltered buddha for quiet contemplation, and expanses devoted to heat-loving deciduous and evergreen trees.  Everywhere, your eye lands on artistic touches:  unusual pots, sculpture, garden furniture, bridges.  

Shade garden:

PalmSocietyTour006.jpg

Wanda and visitor admiring bamboo:

PalmSocietyTour008.jpg

Exotic Sanseveria collection:

PalmSocietyTour018.jpg

PalmSocietyTour019.jpg

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Gary Vincent answers questions next to one of his beautifully grown Brahea armatas.

PalmSocietyTour031.jpg

Succulent arrangements:

PalmSocietyTour030.jpg

PalmSocietyTour029.jpg

Bridge over dry stream:

PalmSocietyTour035.jpg

Kim Cyr

This intimate atrium off the master bedroom was a favorite of the visitors.  People would enter to look and were reluctant to leave.

PalmSocietyTour038.jpg

PalmSocietyTour041.jpg

PalmSocietyTour044.jpg

PalmSocietyTour045.jpg

Kim Cyr

Touristas (l-r) Steve, Bill, and Palmgrover:

PalmSocietyTour052.jpg

One more composition in succulents (can you tell I liked them?):

PalmSocietyTour048.jpg

Serenity:

PalmSocietyTour049.jpg

Kim Cyr

Kim,

First, thanks a bunch for posting some really nice pictures. Like you said, it's a more dry,arid climate at this location. I like the color of the house, all the different sitting areas, or areas to spend time at and enjoy.  Also all the garden pots,wall hangings,etc. really compliment the whole garden. Really nice.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Kim, Great pictures! I really like the Brahea armatas. Also the Bamboo - I planted three plants of Oldhamii in August amid my palms. It's going to be real interesting in about three years - instant jungle :P

Sorry I couldn't make it, but there is next time :) !

Thanks for posting the pics!

Scott

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Kim! Great pics!  Thanks for posting them.   I see what you meant about the picture you took "of yourself" (in post#18).

It looks like its a painting of you, not a photo!!

Like I said, not the lush type garden I go for, but I can appreciate the immense amount of work involved, it shows very well.

I like all the different pots, it gives great character.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Zac- Thats Steve in So Cal.....

hey palmgrover--where'd ya get that cool batik shirt? :P

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

(BS, Man about Palms @ Nov. 21 2006,23:52)

He's also styling the same sort of hat you are, as there is another partial person in the shot.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

(Zac in NC @ Nov. 22 2006,18:25)

(BS @ Man about Palms,Nov. 21 2006,23:52)

He's also styling the same sort of hat you are, as there is another partial person in the shot.

Zac

Yeah Zac, I've been a long time fan of those hats, I have pics of me wearing them almost 15 years ago.  Fantastic to prevent sunburn!, Just gotta remember to put it on!!!

PS- Thats Chris also in the pic, a long time employee of Rancho Soledad Nurseries, in a standard kahaki baseball cap.  Gary Levine works Saturdays so Chris can go to tours!!!

PPS- I have also been derelict in pointing out that JD in the OC put on a great presentation also....

PPPS-  Lelands best pic from the Bi-ennial....Christopher Columbus "pointing" statue...caption was:

"Chris Columbus, pointing at a Roystonea!"

Zac- They should be much easier to find now...when I bought my first one, I can't tell you how many places I went looking for one.  Finally found one in a shop that sold only hats!!!