IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mango R2E2 in garden in Kona

Al in Kona

Here is our mango R2E2 growing in the garden and also 2-pics of ripe fruit from the tree being held by grandchildren.

I was told that the variety R2E2 was a seedling tree from a Kent mango growing in Australia. The fruit is quite large, sweet excellent flavor and is fiberless.

post-90-1255751947_thumb.jpg

post-90-1255751986_thumb.jpg

post-90-1255752085_thumb.jpg

post-90-1255752100_thumb.jpg

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

I like R2E2... it produces such big fruits and always look so perfect. But I prefer Kensington Pride for taste... I have about half a dozen on my tree at the moment... first year fruiting, and about 2 on my Nam Doc Mai.

I am not sure about R2E2 being a seedling tree from Kent though. They don't look anything like each other. I just had a taste of Kent mango today. I think I have to get myself a tree... It is even better than KP.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Nice healthy looking Mangoes Al!

Here is the lowdown on R2E2

'R2E2 is a mid-season variety with large, highly-coloured fruit. It was selected in 1982 by Ian Bally, Ross Wright and Peter Beal as a seedling progeny of the Florida variety Kent, and takes its name from the row and position in the field of the original tree at DPI&F's Bowen Research Station. Released for commercial production in 1991, R2E2 has gained wide acceptance throughout all mango growing regions in Australia and is now the second most popular variety grown. R2E2 has a long shelf life and is sought-after on the export market.

Fruit characteristics

Fruit shape: round ovate*

Fruit weight: 600 g - 1 kg

Average fruit length: 107 mm

Average fruit width: 77 mm

Average fruit depth: 107 mm

Fruit ground colour: green-yellow

Fruit blush: orange red

Lenticels: small and yellow

Pulp colour: lemon-yellow

Pulp fibre: low

Pulp firmness: firm

Pulp recovery: 77%

Fruit flavour: sweet mild flavour'

Personally, I prefer Kensington Pride over R2E2 and Kent. Mind you there is a lot of variation in KP...the early season Darwin ones look and taste totally different to the Queensland ones.

Although R2E2s are huge, they are a bit too bland in flavour for my taste.

I guess it is all personal taste though... :)

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

I think the NT ones are actually taste better than the QLD ones... But then, I haven't had the QLD ones for a while now. I don't buy mangos from Woolies... why would you when they charge $7 a kg here and down the road they are only $2.50 a kg.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Nice healthy looking Mangoes Al!

Here is the lowdown on R2E2

'R2E2 is a mid-season variety with large, highly-coloured fruit. It was selected in 1982 by Ian Bally, Ross Wright and Peter Beal as a seedling progeny of the Florida variety Kent, and takes its name from the row and position in the field of the original tree at DPI&F's Bowen Research Station. Released for commercial production in 1991, R2E2 has gained wide acceptance throughout all mango growing regions in Australia and is now the second most popular variety grown. R2E2 has a long shelf life and is sought-after on the export market.

Fruit characteristics

Fruit shape: round ovate*

Fruit weight: 600 g - 1 kg

Average fruit length: 107 mm

Average fruit width: 77 mm

Average fruit depth: 107 mm

Fruit ground colour: green-yellow

Fruit blush: orange red

Lenticels: small and yellow

Pulp colour: lemon-yellow

Pulp fibre: low

Pulp firmness: firm

Pulp recovery: 77%

Fruit flavour: sweet mild flavour'

Personally, I prefer Kensington Pride over R2E2 and Kent. Mind you there is a lot of variation in KP...the early season Darwin ones look and taste totally different to the Queensland ones.

Although R2E2s are huge, they are a bit too bland in flavour for my taste.

I guess it is all personal taste though... :)

Daryl

Daryl, thanks so much for that info on the mango R2E2. I'm sending this information on to some S. California friends who have planted some seeds of this mango and wanted to know more about it.

Yes, there is quite a difference in the flavor of different mango varieties and as you say, everyone has there personal taste preferences.

The only varieties I have growing so far are:

R2E2

Keitt

Kent

Golden Globe

Nam doc mai

Manzanillo (after a friend here told me this was one of his favorite tasting mangos I decided to get one. Next year

it should be ready to give some fruit I think)

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

The best variety is Indonesian variety, we call it 'Arumanis' ... unfortunately I haven't found it here in Australia. I wonder whether it will grow true from seeds. Worth trying, I guess....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

The best variety is Indonesian variety, we call it 'Arumanis' ... unfortunately I haven't found it here in Australia. I wonder whether it will grow true from seeds. Worth trying, I guess....

If it's poly-embryonic, then it should. Isn't that right Daryl?

Nice sunsets!

With mangoes, there is usually a time of year when you can can't eat all that is ripening.

So Al, next time that happens, give me a call. :)

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

That is when you get food dryer and dry all the left over mangos... YUM!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Chili spiced dried mango-yummy. My favorite mango is the Julie mango-they grow it in the Caribbean. Ari-do you have that variety in OZ?

San Fernando Valley, California

No... never heard of it... It is probably called something else here or elsewhere?? We only have the 'boring' variety here... whatever that they can sell commercially.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

My 2 little mango trees.... They are fruiting, I am so proud of them....lol

post-512-1255904160_thumb.jpg

KP mango...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

post-512-1255904245_thumb.jpg

Nam Doc Mai

It was only planted a few months ago, so it is surprising that it is fruiting already. It did have 2... but one must've fallen off....lol. I don't mind though, the tree needs to grow first, I think.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

If it's poly-embryonic, then it should. Isn't that right Daryl?

I think that is the general rule Al. KP is polyembronic and generally comes true from seed. Apparently 1 of the 5 embryos can be a hybrid. Sometimes several of the embryos germinate, and you get two or three sprouts. Who knows if each sprout is the same as its parent or a hybrid...only time and fruit tell!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

post-512-1255904245_thumb.jpg

Nam Doc Mai

It was only planted a few months ago, so it is surprising that it is fruiting already. It did have 2... but one must've fallen off....lol. I don't mind though, the tree needs to grow first, I think.

I have a small Nam Doc Mai as well and, for the first couple of years, have removed the immature fruit to let the energy of the tree go into growing it stronger.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

I was thinking about it, John... but then it looks so cute...lol. I might still do. The tree needs some growing to do in the next few years..

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"