IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palmetum de Santa Cruz (Tenerife, Canarias)

Carlo Morici

:angry:  I had just posted new pictures, but they stayed in page #1, so if you want to see Carpentaria and Borassus go back one page!

Here is again the main "classic" view, from 2003.

palmetum91.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is time to make some announcements. There is a rain of good news about the Palmetum:

- A new inventory and mapping has been developed during the past few months and many lost data and tags have been rescued. Other important issues have been touched such as the content of the geographical sections and the list of missing species. We know what is growing and where.

- There is an ongoing project funded by the Canarian Government, for about 600.000 euros to fix various problems, improve irrigation and landscape about 40.000m2 of sea-facing slopes that had never been touched. Plants will mostly come from the collection in stock at the Palmetum and I am involved in the works.

- There is a new wave of interest about the Palmetum becoming a Botanical Garden, acting as a seal of quality and prestige for the island. A few days ago we finally got the President of the Government of the Canary Islands visiting the Palmetum, for the first time. He was impressed by the display and seemed positive about the project becoming an institution to show to the world. If they want they can – our hopes are rising.

This is a slice of the slope that is being landscaped. In these days, heavy trucks are bringing soil and excavators are working all around.

DSCN4792_redimensionar.jpg

Some of the slopes will host extensions of the nearest biogeographical section, so the slice below the New Caledonian section will be New Caledonian and will be planted with Araucaria columnaris and Chambeyronia down to sea level.

These are some of the plants that we will use on the slopes:

- Pritchardia thurstonii

DSCN4818_redimensionar.jpg

- Hyphaene coriacea

DSCN4831_redimensionar.jpg

• Upvote 1

This is Great news!! Thank you Carlo for the beautiful pics. I ,for one, am so excited for all of you who have volunteered your time and efforts. I hope that things go the way you wish. The Palmetum will someday (soon) be even more magnificent. What a generous gift to the world. It is a wonderful thing that the government officials are on the verge of realizing the beauty and value of this now.

As you said, "If they want, they can -our hopes are rising"

How could anyone NOT  want, after experiencing all of this in person. Hopefully that visit will turn out to be just the first stepping stone to them (the Government)realizing the Palmetum's full potential and importance.

At this exciting time it must be increasingly hard to keep those rising hopes in check!!!!

Wishing you the very best!!!

Wendi

"I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees!"-Dr. Seuss :P

north central east coast of Florida

halfway between Daytona and St. Augustine

15 mi inland

Beautiful photos and a very beautiful place.  The water looks heavenly.  Thank you for the tour.

C from NC

:)

Bone dry summers, wet winters, 2-3 days ea. winter in low teens.

Siler City, NC

Thank you for the comments. Tomorrow will be another great working day.

Here are some picture taken in the past few months (and used before in other posts).

- Syagrus vermicularis, a species described in 2004… blooming in the Palmetum since 2004 (!)

CopiadeDSCN4512B_redimensionar.jpg

CopiadeCopiadeDSCN4513_redimensiona.jpg

• Upvote 1

Bravo Carlo  :P And thanks for sharing a wonderful palmetum

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Dear Carlo's  :)

that's a wonderful garden in place,but i do not see much of

CIDP's and Dragon Blood Tree ?

my friend that's a lovely coverage,and a must see place on the

earth.

Thanks & Love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Carlo, with the climate there being so perfectly balanced, it must be one of the best places in the world to grow the widest range of palms in the world.

This is really good news, and with you involved I hope this project can now finally fulfil its true potential.

If so, it should be an international magnet for people from all over the world.

• Upvote 1

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

• 8 months later...

The main waterfall, by the Caribbean section

P9060143_redimensionar.jpg

Pritchardia hillebrandii, seven years old from seed, planted in the ground as one year old seedlings in 2001.

P9180006_redimensionar.jpg

Stream with domestic fauna.

CopiadeP1010023_redimensionar-1.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 5 months later...

A bump to show some fresh pictures!

Bactris major var.infesta. They just fruited for their first time.

P1010165_redimensionar.jpg

Pseudophoenix vinifera. Planted in the ground three years ago.

P1010160_redimensionar.jpg

Copernicia hospita, blooming again

P1010163_redimensionar.jpg

• Upvote 2

Lots of flamboyants (Delonix regia) of different colours grow in front of the Palmetum, I can't resist taking pictures.

P1010149_redimensionar.jpg

P1010143_redimensionar.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 1 year later...

Hello all, we are back with a bump, 16 months later with some recent pictures i took this week. I hope you will enjoy.

Carlo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Syagrus orinocensis

10-13octubre200945.jpg

Asian palms

10-13octubre200949.jpg

Bentickia nicobarica

10-13octubre200951.jpg

• Upvote 1

Corypha utan

10-13octubre200937.jpg

Erythrina - The erect-branching tree seen in the Pacific Islands, possibly E. variegata ‘orientalis’

10-13octubre200962.jpg

Rhizophora mangle, trees and roots

10-13octubre200967.jpg

Dypsis psammophila – just planted

10-13octubre200912.jpg

• Upvote 2

Howea belmoreana – a recently planted juvenile by an older specimen

10-13octubre200938.jpg

Dypsis albofarinosa – Just Planted, last July

10-13octubre200956.jpg

More will come tomorrow.

Carlo

• Upvote 2

Great pictures Carlo, please show us some more...

I noticed those big Pritchardia thurstonii in rather small pots (2007 pictures) and I wonder if they resumed natural growth once planted in the ground. Do you have updated pictures of those? I also have a couple of them in pots here and I'm getting afraid of stunting them for the future if I don't plant them in the ground soon.

Saludos.

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Carlo, great photographs and garden! Thanks so much for your part in it and for sharing the photos. I hope to visit this garden some day. Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Thank you Palmetro, Gileno, Jamjv.

Gileno, those Pritchardia thurstonii flourished since they were planted on the Southern slopes, in July 2007. They flowered after a few months and ripened fruits before the end of the year. P. thurstonii grows well in containers as it is native to rocky outcrops with little or no soil - search on the internet images of the Lau Group Islands. I will take a picture to show.

A few more pictures, all from the Caribbean section:

View over the Caribbean section

10-13octubre200946.jpg

Acrocomia crispa

10-13octubre200931.jpg

Hemithrinax ekmaniana

10-13octubre200933.jpg

Hemithrinax compacta

10-13octubre200943.jpg

• Upvote 1

Gaussia princeps – A layer of rocks was recently added to reproduce their habitat.

10-13octubre200927.jpg

Coccothrinax miraguama ssp. havanensis and Roystonea lenis in the background

10-13octubre200929.jpg

Pseudophoenix vinifera

10-13octubre200934.jpg

• Upvote 1

Copernicia rigida from E Cuba, behind C.salvatoris, then C. crinita.

10-13octubre200940.jpg

Copernicia hospita

10-13octubre200942.jpg

10-13octubre200941.jpg

Copernicia ekmanii, flowering, with some Coccothrinax barbadensis behind

10-13octubre200935.jpg

I also took some pictures of non-palm plants in the Caribbean section started a separate thread in the "Other plants" section of this forum: Other plants in the Caribbean section at the Palmetum

That is all for a while.

Carlo

• Upvote 1

• 8 years later...
On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2007‎ ‎8‎:‎07‎:‎01‎, Carlo Morici said:

Thank you for the comments. Tomorrow will be another great working day.

Here are some picture taken in the past few months (and used before in other posts).

- Syagrus vermicularis, a species described in 2004… blooming in the Palmetum since 2004 (!)

CopiadeDSCN4512B_redimensionar.jpg

CopiadeCopiadeDSCN4513_redimensiona.jpg

This was the palm Dr. Larry Noblick thought about naming Syagrus Ramen Noodles, I think some colleagues talked him out of it 

• Upvote 2

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

This thread is from 2006, wow! I didn't know it was this old. The palms look amazing nowadays too.

The Coconuts, Roystoneas, Ceroxylon, Bismarckias and Howeas (amongst others) are mostly giant palms right now! The Adonidas are growing good as well, and the many exemplars of Cocos Nucifera give mature coconuts every year. The palmetum is like a giant park/garden, but they made many gardens/zones inside ordering them by their origins. For example, there is a Caribbean park, an African one, a Hawaiian one, a Caledonian one, a Melanesian one...

They all appear one by one in their website, and they have virtual views of each of these gardens. https://palmetumtenerife.es/palmetum.html

2rn9bfk.jpg

2dsikp2.jpg

2ivh4j9.jpg

These are some pics from the African, Caribbean and Hawaiian gardens.

This is the climate of Santa Cruz de Tenerife, if someone is interested: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Cruz_de_Tenerife#Climate

Edited by Alicante
  • Upvote 4

I live in Altea, Spain 38°34'N 0º03'O. USDA zone 11a. Coastal microclimate sheltered by mountains. 
The coconuts shown in my avatar are from the Canary Islands, Spain ! :)

• 2 months later...

Is the project finished by now? Planing on the visiting Tenerife in October and looking for "must see" places :)

• Upvote 1

On 22/8/2018 22:14:36, dalmatiansoap said:

Is the project finished by now? Planing on the visiting Tenerife in October and looking for "must see" places :)

Hello buddy, yes of course it is. The project started more than a decade ago, it was opened in September of 2013 for scheduled guides but it was officially opened in January, 2014 by their Majesty Prince and Princess of Asturias (actual King and Queen of Spain). http://eldia.es/santacruz/2014-01-09/0-principes-presidiran-inauguracion-Palmetum.htm

It's also funded by the local government. It works as a nature reserve too. I would ask someone first if you want to take some seeds. 

You have the opening schedules here: https://palmetumtenerife.es/horarios/

The entrance is 6€ and you can spend as much as you want inside until the closing hours. You can get an 1h tour in English for just 3€ (there will be also other tourists but the guide will explain it for you all)

Map with guide of the gardens (PDF) https://palmetumtenerife.es/mapa-guia-2/

• Upvote 2

I live in Altea, Spain 38°34'N 0º03'O. USDA zone 11a. Coastal microclimate sheltered by mountains. 
The coconuts shown in my avatar are from the Canary Islands, Spain ! :)

Thanks for the tips :greenthumb: . I guess Ill have to tour myself alone, it takes 30 persons minimum for guided tour in forigen language ;), Ill think of something :)

Edited by dalmatiansoap