IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palmetum de Santa Cruz (Tenerife, Canarias)

Carlo Morici

Here are some recent pictures of the Palmetum that I wish to show.

Carlo

First, some aerial pictures.

An earlier shot from 1999.

Copyof2004-02-264.jpg

A picture from Google Earth (2004, I assume)

palmetumgoogleearth_redimensionar.jpg

A view of July 2007

GZoom2Palmetum2007.jpg

And now picture from the past few days.

The main lawn in the Malgasy section

CopyofDSCN2446_redimensionar.jpg

Section of the Pacific Islands

CopiadeDSCN2729_redimensionar.jpg

Artocarpus camansi: Breadfruit or Breadnut trees.

CopiadeDSCN2472d_redimensionar.jpg

Erythrina variegata: it the upright branching form originally found in New Caledonia, known as "orientalis, fastigiata, tropic coral".... Variegated leaves of Pandanus baptistii in the foreground.

CopiadeCIMG3547_redimensionar.jpg

Beautiful pictures.  You are quite a photographer Carlo.

Matt R - Katy, TX

Elevation 100ft (30m) - Zone 9a

Gumbo (clay) soil

Summer (May-Sep) Highs - upper-90'sºF (37ºC) Hot Humid

Winter (Dec-Jan) Lows - upper-30’sºF (3ºC) Mild/Cool Humid

Yearly Minimum - 26º (-4ºC). 1989 Record Low 6º (-14ºC).

50-60 inches rain annual

Carlo,

Those are great pictures.  Thank you for the sights.  

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Carlo, beautiful, but it is not enough! More please. And can you show us again those royals with red crownshaft?  Thanks, bruno

• Upvote 1

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Thanks for the pictures Carlo. I was expecting to see some of your photos from Cuba too...Haven't you taken the post biennial tour?

Anyway, the sight of Tenerife Palmetum is very inspirational for me. I dream to supervise the establishment of a Palmetum in Recife someday, where we could start the landscaping from scratch too and I'd donate my whole small collection...and you'd be my choice for being the main Consultant for this project  :)

Did the Palmetum finally receive the adequate funding support?

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Thank you all, I have more pictures - I will send more.

Gileno, I was not on the Cuban tour. I wish to go on my own in early 2007 to do some research... hopefully. Thank you for the offer.

Bruno, the "red royals" are still in this message board, at:

http://palmtalk.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboar...ct=ST;f=1;t=382

Carlo

A little paradise in the middle of a featureless ocean.

Tom
Mid-Pinellas (St. Petersburg) Florida, USA

Member of Palm Society 1973-2012
Gizella Kopsick Palm Arboretum development 1977-1991
Chapter President 1983-84
Palm Society Director 1984-88

Coccothrinax spissa, from seeds collected in 1997

DSCN2659_redimensionar.jpg

Adonidia. In the background Ficus religiosa and Corypha umbraculifera

DSCN2647_redimensionar.jpg

Hi Carlo

What  is the palm species in the foreground beside the entrance road

regards

colin

post-197-1162199442_thumb.jpg

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Spectacular pix carlo,

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Colin,

The green ones are Pritchardia thurstonii. Planted in 2001 but there is almost no soil on that slope, they suffer during the cool winter, and they are sensitive to white flies, so they stayed a bit too small. Bismarckias are the blue backdrop.

The little things are washingtonia seedlings, sprouting all over.

As you see, irrigation is flowing again.

Excellent pictures and place.  The main thing I notice about pics people post of various botanical gardens is space.  Because in the UK such plants can only be seen inside greenhouses, etc., there is not the space provided to allow optimal viewing or photography.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Hi Carlo

The gardens looks a lot greener now in your photographs. It is good to hear you have the irrigation system working again,The potential of the garden is quite amazing. Look forward to visiting again in the future

regards

colin

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Beautiful!  So nice to travel courtesy of you via my computer monitor!

San Francisco Bay Area, California

Zone 10a

Great pictures of a very upcoming Botanical Garden, Carlo.  Most happy to see that the irrigation is back working again as that's the lifeline of a garden in your climate I'd think.  

I'd love to see some more pics of the Carribean palms growing there too.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Thank you friends, for all the kind messsages.

Some of you mentioned how good it is since the irrigation is working again. I have created a new thread for those of you who want to understand how did this look during the drought.

http://palmtalk.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboar...t=ST;f=1;t=1772

As for other questions, I will visit the palmetum quite a few times next week and I can take more pictures. Al wants to see more Caribbean palms. Any other of you has any special requests?

Carlo,

Thank-you for your time and efforts for showing us all this garden.

Because I really don't know anything about the garden itself, could you please shed some light on specifics of the garden. The actual name, how large, is it private or state run, etc.etc. Thank-you,

JEFF

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I think one of the enjoyable aspects of this forum, apart from all the great people, is learning of some great gardens around the world I would not have otherwise known existed.

Thanks for sharing!

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

When visiting the palmetum in August this year, It was very sad to see the damage from lack of watering. The plants in the Octagon where decimated. Thank goodness for Carlo and the other volunteers who have done a great job restoring the garden and continuing to keep the palms and dream alive

regards

colin

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Thanks for sharing thoses fantabulous pics Carlo.

If I could have just have one thing there it would be that minimum temp of 15C and Im not too bothered if it were to arrive by global warming or whatever.

Anyway I believe the IPS may be having a meet over there in 4 years.

Mucho looking forward to that!

Regardez

Juan

Juan

In the New Caledonian section, besides palms...

Crinum asiaticum. This is the larger, solitary form native to New Caledonia. The tallest leaftip of this one is at 240 cm... and it will surely grow a bit larger. A man can stand "inside" it.

DSCN3323_redimensionar.jpg

(the palm behind is a Kentiopsis oliviformis)

DSCN3321_redimensionar.jpg

Carlo, are the gardens open to visitors at all?  I am hoping to visit Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife in spring.

'The Essex Riviera'

Southeast England, UK

winter min usually -5C

Summer max usually 35C

Rainfall usually 20" (500mm)

Paul,

The palmetum is closed. It has never been open to the public. Nevertheless all IPS members can get in somehow. Remind me when your visiting date will be closer and I can set an appointment.

Todays pictures:Caribbean Section.

Copernicia baileyana.

They are not yellow. It is just in the picture, at sunset.

DSCN3382_redimensionar.jpg

Copernicia baileyana

DSCN3392_redimensionar.jpg

Coccothrinax crinita

DSCN3387_redimensionar.jpg

... and from today...

Main waterfall in the Caribbean Section, with Cocos nucifera, Sabal palmetto, Acoelorraphe wrightii...

CopiadeDSCN3555_redimensionar.jpg

A stream. Many Sabal palmetto and Acoelorraphe wrightii. Note a Coccothrinax borhidiana on the left ans some Gaussia princeps on the right, by a Thrinax radiata.

CopiadeDSCN3472_redimensionar.jpg

Australia

CopiadeDSCN3519_redimensionar.jpg

As people asked about the team, I was not alone at the start of the project (and I am not alone now).

The main garden designer of the project was Carlos Simón, who designed most of the surface in 1996-1999 (Carlos is a member of this forum!). He designed most of the rockeries and planted waterfalls, ponds and streams. The chief agronomist was Manuel Caballero, the "father of the Palmetum", because he fostered the proposal of the project. From the city parks administration we got the best support from María Flores and Aurea Baena. The webpage was prepared by José Manuel Zerolo.

Most of them were IPS members well before the Palmetum was started. Many other agronomists, botanists and palm people in general worked to make it grow and survive. We gathered supporters both from the whole world and from within the island.

I was there since its start to take care of the scientific part. Then, (2000-2001) I did the landscape design of the following areas highlighted in green, and other plantings scattered around:

Clip_4_redimensionar.jpg

Since 2007, I am involved part-time in maintenance and improvement of the collections. We get financial and directive support from the Municipality of Santa Cruz. The main nursery of the palmetum is held within the public nurseries of the City. Seven workers of the private company Urbaser take care of the gardens.

Carlo

• 2 weeks later...

(Carlo Morici @ Nov. 13 2006,17:24)

Paul,

The palmetum is closed. It has never been open to the public. Nevertheless all IPS members can get in somehow. Remind me when your visiting date will be closer and I can set an appointment.

Carlo - ¡excelente!

I will get in touch nearer the time - trip planned in spring.

Meanwhile I will sit and enjoy your pictures....

'The Essex Riviera'

Southeast England, UK

winter min usually -5C

Summer max usually 35C

Rainfall usually 20" (500mm)

¡gracias por todos los cuadros maravillosos Carlo! Todo mira como son pozo crecido y hermosos justo.

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

• 4 months later...

First, a few more pictures:

- A "classic" view, from 2003.

palmetum91.jpg

- Carpentaria acuminata, fruiting in the octagon.

DSCN4766_redimensionar.jpg

- Cocos and Latania above the ocean.

DSCN4802_redimensionar.jpg

- Borassus aethiopum, 9 years old from seed, in the African section. The leaves behind belong to African oil palms

DSCN3536_redimensionar.jpg

And now it is time to make some announcements. There is a rain of good news about the Palmetum:

- A new inventory and mapping has been developed during the past few months and many lost data and tags have been rescued. Other important issues have been touched such as the content of the geographical sections and the list of missing species. We know what is growing and where.

- There is an ongoing project funded by the Canarian Government, for about 600.000 euros to fix various problems, improve irrigation and landscape about 40.000m2 of sea-facing slopes that had never been touched. Plants will mostly come from the collection in stock at the Palmetum and I am involved in the works.

- There is a new wave of interest about the Palmetum becoming a Botanical Garden, acting as a seal of quality and prestige for the island. A few days ago we finally got the President of the Government of the Canary Islands visiting the Palmetum, for the first time. He was impressed by the display and seemed positive about the project becoming an institution to show to the world. If they want they can – our hopes are rising.

This is a slice of the slope that is being landscaped. In these days, heavy trucks are bringing soil and excavators are working all around.

DSCN4792_redimensionar.jpg

Some of the slopes will host extensions of the nearest biogeographical section, so the slice below the New Caledonian section will be New Caledonian and will be planted with Araucaria columnaris and Chambeyronia down to sea level.

These are some of the plants that we will use on the slopes:

- Pritchardia thurstonii

DSCN4818_redimensionar.jpg

- Hyphaene coriacea

DSCN4831_redimensionar.jpg