IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

AccuWeather Winter Prediction

happ

WINTER2010USOverview.jpg Edited by happ

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Perhaps you missed this..

http://www.scwxa.org/news/2009/9/pr92509a.html

Published in September, Bastardi can have the rest of the country, the socal prediction was made before-hand.

It even said the Pineapple Express would hit in October here, and it did.

Edited by KMartin

--------------------

Kevin Martin - Meteorologist

Southern California Weather Authority

Looks like your typical el nino. I wonder if it will be as bad as 2005 when SD and LA got something like 40 inches of rain. Hmm...

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

I'll believe it when I see it.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

In 2005 LA may have gotten 40", but San Diego was at 22". Still a great rain year, and just 4" short of record (as recorded since 1884).

I'm also bracing for a year in which we watch storm after storm pass north of us. Point Concepción seems to be where storms like to cruise north of. I know it still fills the major reservoirs, but I would love to be able to turn the irrigation off for a 2-3 month period of time. It's been 4 years since that was possible.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

In 2005 LA may have gotten 40", but San Diego was at 22". Still a great rain year, and just 4" short of record (as recorded since 1884).

I'm also bracing for a year in which we watch storm after storm pass north of us. Point Concepción seems to be where storms like to cruise north of. I know it still fills the major reservoirs, but I would love to be able to turn the irrigation off for a 2-3 month period of time. It's been 4 years since that was possible.

Terry, remember when the San Luis Rey river overflowed its banks near Oceanside in 2005? That was a great rain year during a very weak El Nino. Ironically, the current El Nino is weakening. X-tropical storm Melor took aim on Central Cal but as you know, once the subtropical jet stream pulls north, all of California benefits.

Have to admit that the sight of wet ground everywhere is wonderful in October.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Uh, huh, Happ! It's dry as can be here in far east California AKA Ft. Lauderdale! 0.12" is all for the month (AND only 1.28" for all of August!)

Paul

Paul

Paul, The Palm Doctor @ http://www.thewisegardener.com

Uh, huh, Happ! It's dry as can be here in far east California AKA Ft. Lauderdale! 0.12" is all for the month (AND only 1.28" for all of August!)

Paul

Paul

You want more rain, right? El Nino will keep Florida green all winter [no wild fires that so often occur during mid-winter in Florida]. Cool temps don't kill but only retard growth for a while & no frost to worry about. BTW, I wasn't aware of the low rain amounts in Miami area [must have been a sunny\ hot & humid summer, huh?].

How's your wonderful jungle in Panama doing, Paul?

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Paul

Paul

You want more rain, right? El Nino will keep Florida green all winter [no wild fires that so often occur during mid-winter in Florida]. Cool temps don't kill but only retard growth for a while & no frost to worry about. BTW, I wasn't aware of the low rain amounts in Miami area [must have been a sunny\ hot & humid summer, huh?].

Both affirmative, Happ! I don't think that I'll be participating as much as I'd like due to paralysis of right side of body. It's difficult to navigate all those hills down there. I don't know what I will do with that land. I should get a nice return on it; that market is exploding with American growth!!

Late.

Paul

Paul, The Palm Doctor @ http://www.thewisegardener.com

Paul

Paul

Both affirmative, Happ! I don't think that I'll be participating as much as I'd like due to paralysis of right side of body. It's difficult to navigate all those hills down there. I don't know what I will do with that land. I should get a nice return on it; that market is exploding with American growth!!

Late.

Paul

I was watching the International House Hunter show\ H&G network last night. They focused the program on Nicaragua and how affordable housing is a boom industry in Central America.

Edited by happ

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I'm sure most people on the planet would trade me weather forecasts for the next 15 days. Having received only light drizzle in the last storm, I'm a bit disappointed to see only mild sunny weather for the next 15 days.

KM or Happ - Any sign of anything brewing out there beyond the next two weeks?

post-662-1256142823_thumb.jpg

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

I'm sure most people on the planet would trade me weather forecasts for the next 15 days. Having received only light drizzle in the last storm, I'm a bit disappointed to see only mild sunny weather for the next 15 days.

KM or Happ - Any sign of anything brewing out there beyond the next two weeks?

Kevin looks into long range forecasts; the upper wind currents. Maybe he'll give us good news. The GFS ensembles show warm & dry for the rest of the month. It really is too early for rain in SoCal; last week's storm was a lucky fluke. How often do dying typhoons from Japan reach California? :lol: and why winter may be a wet one!

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23