IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

2006 IPS Biennial - Republica Dominicana

Palmarum

Ryans Awesome documentation of the Biennial, BUT when it takes well OVER an hour to load on dial-up near the bottom, I gotta do something to help me to page 4!  :laugh:

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Jon - It was great spending time with you at the biennial, even during the dark moments at that certain bar...
Jon, Jack spill the beans!  What happened!?  Did Jack almost go home with a transvestite hooker?  He's known around SoCal for that.
Wow, this thread is really making me look bad....

Luckily I didn't take photos of that particular bar...for obvious reasons. I heard many stories from different people who ventured into that place. I won't go into details, but Jack (elHoagie) was one of the lucky ones who got out quickly...

Ryans Awesome documentation of the Biennial, BUT when it takes well OVER an hour to load on dial-up near the bottom, I gotta do something to help me to page 4!  :laugh: Bill

I can still remember what it was like on dial-up, but at least the files were not as big as they are today, compared to 9 years ago.

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

Dear Kathryn  :)

can U kindly tell us as what ryan did in the bar_Please !

i hope this is what U wanted us to ask I suppose.

U have inisiated a suspense thriller,Now please be

kind enough to save our heads from this Suspense ?

Believe me i read novels the starting chapters & jump

straight to the end chapters.

So i think U kown how i feel right now.

Hey Dont save_"private Rayan" from us.

Love,

Kris(India).

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(BS, Man about Palms @ Oct. 28 2006,00:42)

Ryans Awesome documentation of the Biennial, BUT when it takes well OVER an hour to load on dial-up near the bottom, I gotta do something to help me to page 4!  :laugh:

Bill

Now Bill, you know you were just trying to pad your post count by borrowing a move from Alan in Tampa and Jeff Searle I believe. ( well, I am doing that too now, as this is post 700 for me)

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

Zac, what are talking about?  

Anyway, I have enjoyed the pics to the nth degree. ( A lot).

Also, if el Hoagie wanted to make a new sandwich while in the D.R., that is his problem.  I wonder if he was the meat or the bread in this one.

As this is a slight on a good guy, let me say that some transvetites are convincing.

To Crocodile Dundee, and only that once.  Perhaps one should 'check'.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

OK, I think it might be time to clarify what happened.  I was at a local bar.  One of the local WOMEN tried to trade her services for money.  I said NO, and ran back to my hotel without her.  You guys happy now?? :D

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Jack, Jack, Jack, oh there was alittle bity, incy, tincy more to this story than that. :o  Can't the TRUTH be heard? :D

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

You guys are hilarious.  I justed wanted to let everybody that went know that they sell El Presidente at some grocery stores here in Lauderdale.

South Florida

Dear Kathryn  :) can U kindly tell us as what ryan did in the bar_Please ! Kris(India).

Even without photos I can tell you 'Ryan' didn't do anything at that bar.

2006 IPS Biennial - DR

Day 6 - Thursday, October 5th

Sierra de Bahoruco National Park

Most of Group B (Green) explored the park trails at their own pace, but many eventually made it to a lookout pavilion. This structure was constructed by the park service to provide visitors with a covered location to view the Hoyo del Pelempito. We had about an hour to look around, until we walked back to the clearing and took the safari vehicles back to the park entrance for lunch.

- (1:01pm) A photo of the Hoyo del Pelempito from the lookout pavilion, with Jeff Searle providing scale.

IPS_2005-10-05_13-01-52.jpg

- (1:03pm) There were many trails to explore, each one had its own selection of native plants. On the back part of the pavilion, this path led back around to a large group of Agave. Coming back on the path is Jim & Judy Glock [foreground], with attendees Lora Sakai [pink hat] and Jayanne Crawley.

IPS_2005-10-05_13-03-58.jpg

- (1:04pm) Inside the pavilion, Curator of Palms for Fairchild Tropical Botanical Garden, Christie Jones, studies one of many signs set up to educate visitors.

IPS_2005-10-05_13-04-48.jpg

- (1:17pm) My group and I decided to investigate the different groups of Coccothrinax scoparia that we noticed along the road on our way in. We traveled down the paths to the clearing, and followed the road back towards the entrance a short while. Here is one of the more robust C. scoparia with its very distinct palmate leaves next to the road with Paul Norris.

IPS_2005-10-05_13-17-52.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

Ryan, I have been thoroughly enjoying your photo essay on the trip.  How I wish I could have gone - but the detail in your pictures made it almost feel as if I had been there.  What an incredible place - and the P. ekmanii were stunning.  No wonder you all were hugging it.

I haven't anything to add to this thread except my sincere thanks for posting it all.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

(elHoagie @ Oct. 28 2006,23:06)

OK, I think it might be time to clarify what happened.  I was at a local bar.  One of the local WOMEN tried to trade her services for money.  I said NO, and ran back to my hotel without her.  You guys happy now?? :D

He Jack

Was this the woman? :D  :D

post-37-1162111907_thumb.jpg

Charles Wychgel

Algarve/Portugal

Sunset zone 24

One of the local WOMEN tried to trade her services for money.  I said NO, and ran back to my hotel without her.  You guys happy now?? :D

And you are trying to run back to the hotel here are you not? :P  :P

post-37-1162112470_thumb.jpg

Charles Wychgel

Algarve/Portugal

Sunset zone 24

Ryan

Thanks for the documentary and pictures.  I hope that I will be able to go to the next event in Costa Rica.

Jack, you have to be careful with the wildlife in Latin America, they can be dangerous.  

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

I suppose that could be running.  Doesn't appear to be any sort of dance I have ever seen, except perhaps the dork dance.  

Was this running back to your hotel room in order to get some cash?

That is some hat you have there, Jack.  Frequently something like that is worn during the traditional dork dance.

I think I have maxed out the abuse I am alloted of this thread and Jack.  Maybe a rebuttal or two left.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

(Charles/Portugal @ Oct. 29 2006,01:01)

One of the local WOMEN tried to trade her services for money.  I said NO, and ran back to my hotel without her.  You guys happy now?? :D

And you are trying to run back to the hotel here are you not? :P  :P

I have seen this sort of running in cartoons before.  This picture shows the exact moment that the woman jumped in front of Jack and he had to screech to a stop!    Whew!  That was close!  :P

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

2006 IPS Biennial - DR

My small group and I continue to explore the road and surrounding area looking at unusual plants and more specimens of Coccothrinax scoparia.

- (1:19pm) A very tall Coccothrinax scoparia, showing that incredible leaf shape, outlined by the bright afternoon sky.

IPS_2005-10-05_13-19-16.jpg

- (1:20pm) One of the tell-tale characteristics of this neat species is its detailed, cross-hatch style leaf base fibers. They look almost as if they were knitted that way. In the photo, there also some old inflorescences.

IPS_2005-10-05_13-20-08.jpg

- (1:34pm) Our common lust for palms, causes us to carry our conversations to just about everywhere. Here on the access road between the park entrance and the clearing, Paul Norris and Jeff Searle discuss palm sales with forum members and nursery owners Jerry & Cynthia Andersen (jdapalms).

IPS_2005-10-05_13-34-16.jpg

- (1:36pm) Further down the road, another individual Coccothrinax scoparia is in full anthesis, showing bright white flowers. In the upper right part of the inflorescence, there is a wasp at work on one of the branches.

IPS_2005-10-05_13-36-42.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

2006 IPS Biennial - DR

- (1:47pm) During our side trip down the road to see Coccothrinax scoparia, Group C (Orange) began to arrive in the safari vehicles and went past us on the road. Palm Biologist Scott Zona of Fairchild TB Garden turned at the right moment.

IPS_2005-10-05_13-47-30.jpg

- (2:41pm) Since Group C (Orange) had arrived at the clearing, we took the safari vehicles back on their return trip to the park entrance. When we got back, lunch was waiting for us. On the left is recently ridiculed forum member Jack Sayers (elHoagie) sitting next to Jon Kenahan (Bilbo). The Gompfs are in the back center in matching green shirts. Larry Noblick, [orange hat] of the Montgomery Botanical Center, enjoys lunch next to attendee John Greenleaf.

IPS_2005-10-05_14-41-42.jpg

- (2:41pm) Murray Corman

talks with members at the table along with expeditionary guide Randall Quirk [black shirt].

IPS_2005-10-05_14-41-52.jpg

- (2:42pm) A short walk from the large pavilion is Sarasota, Florida attendee Rob Branch sharing lunch with Louisiana attendee Jayanne Crawley.

IPS_2005-10-05_14-42-26.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

Just like to add that Jack is a nice all American young guy and he is polite and respectful to those of us who are a leetle bit older.

As a non US citizen I cant vote over there but I say "Jack for President"!

You guys could do a lot worse . . .

Regardez

Juan

Juan

2006 IPS Biennial - DR

Sierra de Bahoruco National Park - Hotel Costa Larimar, Barahona

Time was well spent enjoying the surroundings of the park entrance as Group B (Green) finished our lunch. We all gathered back together, and boarded our bus for the return trip to Barahona. Spirits ran high as we discussed the view of the Hoyo del Pelempito and the palms we have seen on the biennial so far. We had plenty of time to do so, as this trip ran about three and a half hours. More hidden rum made the trip smoother for a few attendees.

- (2:44pm) The tour guide of Group B (Green), Franklin Castillo sits in between two of the bus drivers. He was always friendly and willing to answer any of our questions, point to where we were on a map, etc. In return, we began to show him appreciation for the incredible native palms of his country.

IPS_2005-10-05_14-44-20.jpg

- (3:31pm) At a point on route 44, on our way back to Barahona, we stopped along the way to stretch our legs and to take photographs. The Cassia that grew just about everywhere, was in full bloom.

IPS_2005-10-05_15-31-54.jpg

- (6:05pm) We arrived back at our hotel, Hotel Costa Larimar, just as the sun began to set. Our bus is in the center, next to Group A (Blue)'s bus on the right. This area is pretty much downtown Barahona. The infamous bar, mentioned earlier in this topic, may or may not be visible in this photo. It was taken from the small balcony outside my hotel room.

IPS_2005-10-05_18-05-22.jpg

- (6:16pm) Same balcony made a great observation post for the comings and goings of Barahona. As I watched the beginning of the local nightlife churn into action, I shot the sunset. One of few I was able to get during the biennial.

IPS_2005-10-05_18-16-00.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

(Palmarum @ Nov. 01 2006,21:12)

The Cassia that grew just about everywhere, was in full bloom.

Mmm - nice!

And Ryan, the detail in your palm pics is wonderful - I keep going back to this thread to look at them.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

2006 IPS Biennial - DR

Hotel Costa Larimar, Barahona

After the final bus carrying Group C (Orange) arrived back at the hotel we all sat down to a great buffet dinner near the pool area. Afterwards there were presentations, and a wonderful folklore show featuring native dances and music.

- (8:13pm) Members of Group B (Green) relaxing around the pool after dinner. From left to right, most you all should know by now:  :)  Judy & Jim Glock, forum member Kate Ostadal (Kathryn), Andrea Searle, Paul & Judy Norris.

IPS_2005-10-05_20-13-08.jpg

- (9:15pm) The meeting hall where the presentations were held upstairs on the second floor. It is packed with attendees viewing the slides presented by Santiago Orts from Spain, speaking on Gourmet Date production. At the end of the presentation, he handed out fresh dates from his farm to everyone. He managed to get them into the country with no problem.

IPS_2005-10-05_21-15-58.jpg

- (9:35pm) The Folklore show began with fast-paced local music played on a trio of large drums and sung along with loud, strong, passionate voices that moved seemlessly through the beat. The drums were carved from Royal Palm trunks.

IPS_2005-10-05_21-35-36.jpg

- (9:45pm) The musical accompaniment section employed several smaller drums and unique hand-made instruments.  The musicians and dancers all wore brightly colored costumes. One lead singer sang quite well while playing an accordion.

IPS_2005-10-05_21-45-18.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

(Bilbo @ Nov. 01 2006,10:49)

Just like to add that Jack is a nice all American young guy and he is polite and respectful to those of us who are a leetle bit older.

Regardez

Juan

El Juan-

Having met Jack back in July, I can honestly say I would vote for him, even with the damning pictures that have just come to light.  :D

JK, he's a really nice guy.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

2006 IPS Biennial - DR

- (9:41pm) Attendees began to gather around the second floor patio area, after leaving the meeting room. In the very center, left of the column, is Bo-Göran (bgl) & Karolyn Lundkvist.

IPS_2005-10-05_21-41-02.jpg

- (9:49pm) The music became more upbeat, and the dance coordinator [center, holding mics], introduced himself and the musicians as they played very quickly and loudly.

IPS_2005-10-05_21-49-36.jpg

- (9:53pm) The dancing began with one of the lead dancers, who performed a short solo to slower music, that gradually became faster.

IPS_2005-10-05_21-53-02.jpg

- (9:54pm) Shortly there after, the entire dance company appeared from the side and joined the lead dancer. The detail in their costumes was simply amazing. They began to dance in several patterns, filling the whole area with different steps.

IPS_2005-10-05_21-54-08.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

Costa Larimar is certainly well named and the Gemstone of that name has been very well received by the Ladies in my life (dont even ask - what women see in an ugly shmuck like me is a mystery!)

Larimar is a very attractive semi-precious stone and in fact we had an invite to a very nice place (food galore and Presidentes galore) just up the road from the Larimar shop (complete with blue light!).

Regardez Amigos

Juan

Juan

(Zac in NC @ Nov. 02 2006,00:20)

(Bilbo @ Nov. 01 2006,10:49)

Regardez

Juan

El Juan-

Having met Jack back in July, I can honestly say I would vote for him, even with the damning pictures that have just come to light.  :D

JK, he's a really nice guy.

Zac

Wow, all it took was a couple 20's and my reputation's back on track....

Thanks for the photos Ryan!

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

OMG, those pictures of Jack had me rolling with laughter.  I seriously have tears in my eyes!

What a moment captured on film.  There's some pelvic action going on there.  Better keep Lindsay away from Palmtalk until after the next crash.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Hey Ryan!

I'm having withdrawal symptoms!

How bout some more photos!

You have done a great job capturing what a biennial is all about.  

Thank you!

pablo

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

(Licuala @ Nov. 06 2006,17:03)

Hey Ryan!

I'm having withdrawal symptoms!

How bout some more photos!

You have done a great job capturing what a biennial is all about.  

Thank you!

pablo

Yes he has!  Hope he will be there in Costa Rica. This could be the beginning of a great thing every two years!

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I'm having withdrawal symptoms! How bout some more photos! pablo

They are coming, I did the palm sale last weekend and it created a small batch of photos I wanted to post, that I am doing so now.

Better keep Lindsay away from Palmtalk until after the next crash.
I hope we don't have anymore crashes with this site.

Don't jinx me now...

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

2006 IPS Biennial - DR

The Folklore show was very fast paced, with boisterous music. Each individual dance lasted several minutes, and many became exhausted from just watching the dancers perform. In between each dance performance, the drums would be played solo or as a group, to give the dancers time to rest.

- (9:54pm) When they paired up, the dancers moved very quickly within a few inches of the pair next to them.

IPS_2005-10-05_21-54-50.jpg

- (9:55pm) Many of the dances were mixed between ethnic and contemporary styles. Here they danced in unison, almost like ballroom dancing.

IPS_2005-10-05_21-55-58.jpg

- (9:56pm) Here is a dance far from contemporary. The women would jump on the mens' backs and be carried around swiftly.

IPS_2005-10-05_21-56-30.jpg

- (9:58pm) The effort and energy put into their dancing, was rivaled only by their spirited expressions. Everyone noticed every detail their makeup and decorations had, and the time it must have taken to get them perfect.

IPS_2005-10-05_21-58-00.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

2006 IPS Biennial - DR

- (9:58pm) Another series of dances began with each performer paired up, and dancing in large open circles, while twisting their partners around.

IPS_2005-10-05_21-58-30.jpg

- (9:59pm) They formed two circles; men on the outside, women on the inside, then moved in a tightly packed circle around, then in again, then repeated. It was amazing they didn't trip over each others' feet.

IPS_2005-10-05_21-59-40.jpg

- (10:03pm) One of the very enthused dancers lost his scarf, and continued the dance while holding it in his mouth.

IPS_2005-10-05_22-03-20.jpg

- (10:18pm) The dancing and drumming continued and many people got involved. The nearby bar on the second floor had something to do with it as well. Attendee Lupita Butler from Mexico shows off more than a few moves with that same exuberant dancer.

IPS_2005-10-05_22-18-18.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

2006 IPS Biennial - DR

Towards the end of the Folklore Show, many dancers would take volunteers from the crowd, and bring them onto the dance floor. Some went willingly, others did not, but it was fun to watch either way.

- (10:20pm) The drums and musical percussion sections get together to perform different songs, while many sung along with them.

IPS_2005-10-05_22-20-56.jpg

- (10:33pm) The music kept on going, sans rest. The large handmade instrument on the left, worked as a sort of bass drum, as the large metal bands were plucked.

IPS_2005-10-05_22-33-02.jpg

- (10:35pm) One of the dancers picked Jeff Searle out of the crowd, and danced with him for quite a while. He saw an opportunity to go sit back down, but she wouldn't let him.

IPS_2005-10-05_22-35-28.jpg

- (10:38pm) Once a dancer himself, attendee Randall Quirk volunteered himself onto the dance floor. He manages here to strike a pose while turning his dance partner around. Of what pose I'm not sure.

IPS_2005-10-05_22-38-18.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

2006 IPS Biennial - DR

The last series of photos from Thursday, Day 6 as the Folklore show began to slow down, just a tiny bit. Many were tired from the long bus rides of that day and retired to their hotel rooms soon after. Others decided to explore the local nightlife of Barahona, and one particular bar... I needed the break from shooting, since the batteries in my flash were overheating.

- (10:38pm) I was a tad slow in taking the shot, but attendee and forum member Jack Sayers (elHoagie) danced a short while with one of the performers. And that's all that happened, I swear. Watching the action unfold on the right are attendees Paulette Sears and Theresa Gompf.

IPS_2005-10-05_22-37-56.jpg

- (10:38pm) Providing music and a dance floor with Randall Quirk around, is like throwing gas on a fire. Here he is again, dancing (at full pace mind you) with his favorite performer.

IPS_2005-10-05_22-38-30.jpg

- (10:38pm) If it was possible to wear out one of those dancers, attendee Randall Quirk found a way. Both nearly collapsed after this shot.

IPS_2005-10-05_22-38-56.jpg

- (10:40pm) A fair amount of attendees took advantage of the open dance floor. In addition to Jeff Searle and Lupita Butler, attendee Lora Sakai found her way into the action. This was a fun an spirited way to end our last night at Hotel Costa Larimar. We all knew that on the following morning we will be heading back to Santo Domingo.

IPS_2005-10-05_22-38-40.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

2006 IPS Biennial - DR

Day 7 - Friday, October 6th

Azua - Río Vía (Barahona - Santo Domingo)

There was a feeling of accomplishment on Friday morning, as we all knew the biennial was more than halfway over, and we had seen some amazing palms in their natural habitat. It had already been a great adventure, and more was still to come. After that fabulous night, many staggered down to the pool area and had breakfast, discussing the previous days traveling and excursions. Some attendees had stayed behind in Barahona, and were showing photos from their adventures. Afterwards, we got packed our stuff and checked out from the hotel. The Green Bus was waiting for us in the parking lot, so we all piled on board for the trip back. Along the way to Santo Domingo, we were going to stop at two locations, to see three different species in habitat.

- (10:48am) An agricultural station in the outskirts of Azua served as a staging point for this leg of the trip. We arrived here after a brief hour and a half trip from Barahona. Talk was light since many decided to sleep off the effects from last night. From this point we boarded the familiar safari vehicles, drove through the town of Azua for a bit, then turned north and meandered our way to a small valley. At the base of which was the Río Vía, a small river that bordered populations of Pseudophoenix vinifera. We had just disembarked from the bus, as I got attendees Claude Roatta and Jim Glock talking about last night.

IPS_2005-10-06_10-48-02.jpg

- (11:02am) We left the agricultural station a little late, but made up time as we headed out of Azua. When we started north, we left the paved roads and entered a rough section of trail that led into the mountains. We crossed through a small villiage outside of Azua, and this boy ran behind our safari vehicle for quite a long way. Jeff threw a handfull of pesos to him as he ran out of steam.

IPS_2005-10-06_11-02-46.jpg

- (11:06pm) The countryside of Azua province, dotted with small farms and coconut plantations. Shot was taked from the safari vehicle, as we just went over a large hill.

IPS_2005-10-06_11-06-26.jpg

- (11:19am) We got closer to our goal, the river valley that held numerous specimens of Pseudophoenix vinifera, as seen here.

IPS_2005-10-06_11-19-14.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida