IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

2006 IPS Biennial - Republica Dominicana

Palmarum

2006 IPS Biennial - DR

Day 3 - Monday, October 2nd

National Botanic Garden, Dr. Rafael Ma. Moscoso

- While we were waiting for other group members to come back to their trams, a Dominican soldier kept watch over everything.

IPS_2005-10-02_09-58-46.jpg

- The trams started off again back towards the entrance. In the car directly ahead of us is South Florida palm society member Ron Kiefert (left) and attendees George & Aurora Yao from the Philippines.

IPS_2005-10-02_10-00-34.jpg

- In addition to the wonderful palms of the garden, there were also hundreds of croton varieties. Some of these varieties were unknown to even the most die-hard of croton collectors of the biennial attendees.

IPS_2005-10-02_10-16-38.jpg

- Back near the entrance of the garden, a large group of Pseudophoenix vinifera stands watch over one of the gardens many statues.

IPS_2005-10-02_10-18-02.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

2006 IPS Biennial - DR

Working our way back towards the entrance, we took notice of many of the plants around the front of the garden.

- This unusual plant caught the attention of many biennial attendees. This is Clavija domingensis, an endemic member of the Theophrastaceae family. It is heavily endangered in the wild.

IPS_2005-10-02_10-19-46.jpg

- Not far from the above plant was this excellent specimen of Pseudophoenix lediniana with Jeff Searle.

IPS_2005-10-02_10-23-16.jpg

- Jeff Searle posing a branch from the croton 'Commotion'.

IPS_2005-10-02_10-27-16.jpg

- The groups arriving back at the garden entrance waiting to be called back to our buses. Here is forum member Jack (elHoagie)

with forum member Joseph (Ortanique)

IPS_2005-10-02_10-34-38.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

Ryan-

Looks like the back of John Rees facing "El Hoagie" (John is the Ventura area rep.)

I guess I'm always suprised to see members of the So Cal society who "aren't" forum members...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

2006 IPS Biennial - DR

At around 10:30 AM, we all boarded our respected buses and head east to the small coastal town of Juan Dolio where we would eat lunch and enjoy the landscaping of the Guavaberry Golf & Country Club.

- One group resting near the gift shop waiting to board their buses. In the center is newly elected IPS Vice President John DeMott talking with South Florida member Ken St. Germain.

IPS_2005-10-02_10-37-06.jpg

- California nursery owner and forum member Jerry Andersen (jdapalms) and his wife Cynthia talking with palm seed distributor Tobias Spanner, creator of the popular rarepalmseeds.com website.

IPS_2005-10-02_10-37-14.jpg

- We leave the garden behind and board our buses for the next trip ahead. My bus, the already infamous Green Bus, had already begun to get its own aromas. I'll leave to you to think of what they were.

IPS_2005-10-02_10-43-44.jpg

- a lone Hispaniolan Royal Palm, Roystonea hispaniolana (borinquena), survives among the hustle of the Santo Domingo traffic.

IPS_2005-10-02_11-02-52.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

Ryan,

Excellent travelogue.

Robert

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

I agree with all that has been said.

However I do wish to apologise without reservation to Dr.J.D for certain earlier remarks I made

I realise we are as alike as chalk and cheese and I sure judged him wrong.

He quiet, intellectual,introvert and knows everything about palms.

Me, extrovert, know very little about palms and am addicted to Presidente (its almost non-alcoholic!).

Regards all guys and mucho love to all gals.

Regardez

Jon

Juan

2006 IPS Biennial - DR

Guavaberry Golf & Country Club

We left the National Botanic Garden and headed east along the southern coast for about an hour and reached Juan Dolio, about 45 miles away from Santo Domingo.

- The entrance to the Guavaberry Golf & Country Club.

IPS_2005-10-02_12-09-48.jpg

- Throughout the country club there were hundreds of large, mature Acrocomia aculeata. This expansive collection of this spiny species was an incredible sight.

IPS_2005-10-02_12-09-56.jpg

- After leaving the buses, we made our way to the central clubhouse, where lunch was being prepared.

IPS_2005-10-02_12-20-00.jpg

- All the biennial attendees sitting down to an excellent lunch.

IPS_2005-10-02_13-29-46.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

2006 IPS Biennial - DR

- My table at the end of lunch, and at the beginning of several interesting discussions. From left to right: forum member Joseph (Ortanique), Jeff & Andrea Searle, Houston Chapter President Paul Norris, and Judy & Jim Glock.

IPS_2005-10-02_13-26-00.jpg

- Outside near the bar, sit attendees Geri Prall and Rob Branch.

IPS_2005-10-02_13-32-16.jpg

- The well landscaped and maintained pool area behind the clubhouse, with more Acrocomia aculeata in the background.

IPS_2005-10-02_13-32-42.jpg

- The same area as above, shot in reverse. The tower at the top of the clubhouse presented a unique view of the area.

IPS_2005-10-02_13-50-18.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

2006 IPS Biennial - DR

After a short climb up a rickety spiral staircase, most attendees took in the surrounding view by way of the clubhouse tower.

- A shot of the main entrance from the tower, showing numerous Acrocomia aculeata.

IPS_2005-10-02_14-01-14.jpg

- A closeup of one group of fairly large A. aculeata, many of which where in flower and fruit.

IPS_2005-10-02_13-59-48.jpg

- The tower became crowded as many wanted to see the view. Attendee Dan Keys (center) discusses the view with Bill & Paulette Sears. All three are Society members from South Florida.

IPS_2005-10-02_14-01-32.jpg

- Back on the main level, Jeff Searle describes just how big the palm was to attendee Tobias Spanner of rarepalmseeds.com.

IPS_2005-10-02_14-43-00.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

I spy Jon looking over Leonel's left shoulder in the second group shot.  Leonel is the one in front with his back to the camera taking photos himself.

pablo

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

2006 IPS Biennial - DR

Juan Dolio -> Santo Domingo

Around 5:00 PM, we all boarded our respected buses and began the hour trip back to Santo Domingo and the Hotel el Embajador. All attendees were on their own for dinner that evening, so many formed groups and went out to explore the city in search of restaurants.

- On our way back we drove by a few select landmarks. The most impressive of these had to have been the Columbus Memorial Lighthouse. This 688 foot tall landmark, the largest of the Dominican Republic, is believed to hold the mortal remains of Christopher Columbus. It displays 149 giant searchlights, that when illuminated create a cross in the sky that can be seen from as far away as Puerto Rico.

IPS_2005-10-02_16-55-44.jpg

- Later that evening, my group and I went in search of a restaurant that served authentic Dominican cuisine. We traveled downtown to the Juan Carlos Restaurant, an excellent white-tie formal establishment. Here we are trying to figure out how much to pay the taxi driver. We were considering a discount since we believed he never had his eyes open once.

IPS_2005-10-02_19-01-34.jpg

- Our wonderful dinner arrived in one large platter, a seafood paella. Including Andrea Searle and myself, the group comprised of, (left to right) Jeff Searle, Judy & Paul Norris, Jim & Judy Glock, and Barry Lang who once again joined our band of attendees.

IPS_2005-10-02_20-17-52.jpg

- The day concluded as previous ones did, in the lobby/bar area of the El Embajador Hotel. Gathered here is forum member Jon Kenahan (Bilbo) from the UK

, and landscape designer Paul Richnow from the island of Nevis.

IPS_2005-10-02_21-32-34.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

(Al in Kona @ Oct. 16 2006,13:43)

Most of the attendees gathered together for these group pictures taken at the beautiful Casa Bonita on the Barahona coastal area just south of the city of Barahona.  I took these two quick photos.  Do you recognize anyone?

I don't mean to sound rude, but I don't think anyone else should be posting thier own personal pictures on this thread. Palmarum is working very hard to give us his personal experience  and pictures  of this biennal .

(Licuala @ Oct. 16 2006,17:51)

I spy Jon looking over Leonel's left shoulder in the second group shot.  Leonel is the one in front with his back to the camera taking photos himself.

pablo

And ElHoagie is beside Jon.   :;):

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

I couldn't agree more Maskona, and decided to remove my two group pics and I will repost them on a new thread.  

Ryan is doing such a great job posting and informing us all about the IPS Biennial in the Dominican Republic.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Aw shucks guys I didnt realise I was in any of the pics.

Many thanks to all for your great comaradeship and - hey Ryan - how about becoming our official IPS photographer?

You are great!!!

Regardez

Jon

Juan

2006 IPS Biennial - DR

Day 4 - Tuesday, October 3rd

Santo Domingo - Azua

On Tuesday, we all ate breakfast at the el Embajador Hotel and soon afterwards left for Barahona, to the second hotel of the biennial. Along the way we traveled to Barrera, in the Azua province to see wild populations of Coccothrinax boschiana. This point in the biennial represented our first long bus ride, and it was quite enjoyable, on the Green Bus that is. The talk was heavy with biennial stories, who's got what palms in their collection, and numerous jokes all all kinds.  :D

- Early on Tuesday morning, as the sun rose I was taking photos of the landscape as I shot this one of the el Embajador Hotel from the sea side. We all had to check out from the hotel, even though we would be returning in a few days.

IPS_2005-10-03_07-02-08.jpg

- After a two hour drive we arrived in Barrera, a small town southwest of Azua. A make-shift staging area was made not far from a natural gas storage facility. This is where we changed to the safari 4-wheel drive vehicles that took us to the second staging area closer to the coast. You can see all our luggage on the Green bus. That is Paul Norris on the left, with Jim Glock in the center, standing in front of Andrea Searle.

IPS_2005-10-03_11-29-26.jpg

- After a short wait, the safari vehicles returned from the second staging area, after dropping off Group A (Blue). Here is part of my Group B (Green) being loaded onto one of three safari vehicles. That is our tour guide Franklin, on the lower right corner in the white shirt. He spoke English, French, German, and of course Spanish. He was extremely informative.

IPS_2005-10-03_11-29-52.jpg

- Since hardly anyone ever comes out to this area, many local townspeople came out to watch us and say hello.

IPS_2005-10-03_11-30-06.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

2006 IPS Biennial - DR

Barrera, Azua near Sierra Martin Garcia Mountain Range

- My group and I decided to take the time to pose everyone for a picture, before we got on the safari vehicles. All of them should be familiar by now, to those of you who have followed this topic, from left to right: Jeff & Andrea Searle, Jim & Judy Glock, Judy & Paul Norris.

IPS_2005-10-03_11-34-58.jpg

- Any waiting we had to do was easily abbreviated by our conversations. One such expert at this was Murray Corman (center) who shared his knowledge with Claude Roatta (left) and Christie Jones (right, foreground). Attendees John Greenleaf (rear, right) and Jayanne Crawley have their own discussion.

IPS_2005-10-03_11-39-50.jpg

- The rest of us Group B (Green) people board the last safari vehicle after it arrived. We are being instructed to keep arms inside the vehicle (good advice) and that the road may become bumpy (understatement).

IPS_2005-10-03_11-49-26.jpg

- A few minutes in during the ride to the second staging area. Even with the wind and dust, conversations continued between Jeff Searle and forum member Jack Sayers (elHoagie).

IPS_2005-10-03_11-56-04.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

2006 IPS Biennial - DR

- During the 30 minute trip to the second staging area, we had a few sections of paved roads. This shot was taken right through the front of the safari vehicle. Those are the Sierra Martin Garcia mountains in the distance.

IPS_2005-10-03_11-56-24.jpg

- Eventually all paved roads end. This photo was taken at a particularly bumpy section of a very narrow trail. Spiny branches would occasionally whip through and nail the unsuspecting, so we all learned to lean forward a bit.

IPS_2005-10-03_12-14-48.jpg

- Relief and relaxation comes over the attendees as we arrived at the second staging area, but we are only two-thirds of the way to the site. We have a short hike over uneven terrain to go. At this point we are deep in the thorny scrub forest that dominates the coastal region.

IPS_2005-10-03_12-23-52.jpg

- A well cut path guides us to the site. The weather was truly perfect for this, we could not have asked for better conditions. Claude Roatta (red shirt) follows the path along with forum member Kathryn Ostadal (Kathryn), and Paul Norris.

IPS_2005-10-03_12-28-00.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

Excellent account of events, people and palms.  I'm looking forward to the rest.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

2006 IPS Biennial - DR

At 12:30 PM, Group B (Green) arrived at the site, and what a sight it was. For many years the few photos seen in magazines and journals of Coccothrinax boschiana were from this very place. It was a great sense of connection to see this palm in habitat.

- My group arrives at the site, where a large set of tents had been set up to shade us from the sun. The sun wasn't that bad for us Florida people, but some others did have certain reactions. When we arrived, Group A (Blue) was in the middle of their lunch.  The narrow part of the trail that the safari vehicles took here, only allowed one vehicle to travel at one time. This created a small delay in getting the groups in and out. In the distance behind the tent, you can see the trademark group of Coccothrinax boschiana at the cliffs.

IPS_2005-10-03_12-31-36.jpg

- Just up the hill from the tent was this large group of Coccothrinax boschiana. There is a attendee there among them in the green hat.

IPS_2005-10-03_12-32-52.jpg

- Near the edge of the coast, there was a trail that led up into the hill to see the palms up close. Here is attendee Ron Kiefert starting the climb.

IPS_2005-10-03_12-36-42.jpg

- A close up of the group near the cliffs. The harsh conditions of the coastline give testament to how incredibly adaptable this palm is.

IPS_2005-10-03_12-35-04.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

Many great memories and its so difficult to pic any favourites.

The chopper ride was fantastico and to see a natural palm forest from the air is truly magical.

Now this may seem silly but for a Brit to see C.nucifera planted as an ordinary street tree is not exactly an everyday experience!

Hey Carlo if you are reading this I have heard a rumour that the Bi in 4 years time is on Tenerife . . .

Hope so.

Also (non-palm) I picked up a handpainted work by Lily Hanson which I could never get here and assorted Larimar jewlery for the womenfolk in my life ie Wife, Sister in Law, Mother in Law, and my two (!) lady friends.

The gals liked the fact that Larimar is exclusive to DR unlike amber which is also widely available.

Regardez

Jon

. . . . . enjoying a surprisingly war autumn here.

Juan

PS thanks to eveyone who helped with Gator Aid etc when I flaked out with heat exhaustion - I wasnt alone!

Thanks

Jon

Juan

2006 IPS Biennial - DR

- Halfway up the climb, my group with others make our way to a higher vantage point to see the palms.

IPS_2005-10-03_12-38-02.jpg

- This shot was taken near the top, with one Coccothrinax boschiana to the left. This area is quite rocky and the coast seldom produces a beach. Some people did go swimming I was told, and they found some safe entrance to the sea. Those three white dots in the distance are the natural gas tanks that were near the first staging area. The mountains in the far distance are the southern range of the Cordillera Central, about 20 miles away.

IPS_2005-10-03_12-39-52.jpg

- A large grouping of Coccothrinax boschiana on the hill.

IPS_2005-10-03_12-56-12.jpg

- My group of attendees working their way back down, pose for a photo.

IPS_2005-10-03_13-05-22.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

2006 IPS Biennial - DR

- We began to work our way back to the lunch area, as I took this photo of Judy Norris sitting on the rocks as the waves crashed nearby.

IPS_2005-10-03_13-04-44.jpg

- Group C (Orange) arrived about the time we began eating our lunches. Seating space became a premium as there was still Group A (Blue) members around waiting for their time to head back.

IPS_2005-10-03_13-07-04.jpg

- IPS President Paul Craft (center) arrives to the site, with his group in tow.

IPS_2005-10-03_13-57-44.jpg

- A large gust of wind came in over the cliffs and began to carry the lunch tent away. Many of the workers and the caterers had to jump on the frame to keep it from becoming airborne.

IPS_2005-10-03_14-11-54.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

2006 IPS Biennial - DR

At 2:45 PM, Group B (Green) made their way back to the second staging area to wait for the ride back on the safari vehicles. Many attendees had a great time visiting this great species in habitat.

- Biennial veterans Jim & Judy Glock stand in front of the Caribbean Sea as they enjoy the surroundings for one last time.

IPS_2005-10-03_14-44-08.jpg

- We traveled back along the trail, some taking a second look at some of the native plants along the way. We stopped for one second for photographs, with one of me standing on the trail.

IPS_2005-10-03_14-47-28.jpg

- In one section of the trail, there was a excellent speciment of Coccothrinax boschiana within easy reach. Attendees Ray & Theresa Gompf pose next to it, one of their favorite palms of the entire trip. The leaf undersides are nearly as white as their matching shirts.

IPS_2005-10-03_14-50-10.jpg

- Most of Group B (Green) arrives and relaxes at the second staging area. There were facilities that were brought all the way out here to make it even more comfortable. Judy Norris and Andrea Searle are seated with Claude Roatta behind them and they talking with attendee and nursery manager Lora Sakai. Since the road was only wide enough for one safari vehicle, we had to wait for one to return in order for another to leave.

IPS_2005-10-03_15-01-02.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

2006 IPS Biennial - DR

Barrera, Azua - Barahona

- (3:27pm) As we waited for our safari vehicles to return, we spent time in multiple conversations, as we had done before. Many of the caterers and volunteers brought their kids with them, and as many attendees knew Spanish, this led to even more conversations.

IPS_2005-10-03_15-27-04.jpg

- (3:50pm) Waiting turned into wondering as our appointed return time came and went. The next safari vehicle that was due back at the staging area, had a mechanical problem and was unable to make it over a steep part of the path. One batch of Group B (Green) including myself, decided to walk part of the way to the safari vehicle.

IPS_2005-10-03_15-50-42.jpg

- (4:22pm) We are on our way back to our buses at the first staging area near Barrera. Some of the native Cassia sp. have interesting seed pods, and Jeff Searle tried them on as earrings. Typical time spent in the Green Group.

IPS_2005-10-03_16-22-56.jpg

- (5:40pm) About one-third of the way along Rte 44 to Barahona, we were on the opposite side of the Sierra Martin Garcia mountains, as the sun began to set.

IPS_2005-10-03_17-40-34.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

Now Ryan.....I THOUGHT you said the batteries were dead in the camera! :(

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Let's hope Ryan has MANY more photos that were taken when people thought the batteries were dead... :D

GREAT JOB Ryan, and I mean this whole thread!

Looking forward to the rest.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

2006 IPS Biennial - DR

Barahona

After a pleasant drive on the Green Bus, filled with laughter  and the occasional drink of rum stashed in a coke bottle, we arrived at Hotel Costa Larimar. This is the main hotel of Barahona. This city is unique among others of the Dominican Republic, as this area seldom sees tourists from outside the country. Barahona serves as the resort area for Dominicans, as many flock here for the weekend to get away from Santo Domingo and other cities. At about 6:45 PM, we got off the buses and began the check-in process then made our way to the pool area for dinner.

- (7:00pm) The accommodations at Hotel Costa Larimar, a sample of one of their rooms. The beds were comfortable, the A/C was ok, as long as you gave it some time to kick in and fight the stored heat in the room. The water is another story... For those of us unfortunate to be on the top floor, we discovered that water pressure and gravity fought often, and gravity won. This all took place in the older building, as other attendees were in the newer building. Most of us got used to the 60 seconds of hot water, but its annoying when you get all lathered up in soap and the water flow completely stops...followed by a defiant puff of air.  All in all, it made for great morning jokes and table talk.

IPS_2005-10-03_19-00-00.jpg

- (7:27pm) We all gathered for cocktails around the pool area, and waited for dinner.

IPS_2005-10-03_19-27-40.jpg

- (8:30pm) All attendees sitting down near the end of dinner, discussing what was the best part of the day.

IPS_2005-10-03_20-30-46.jpg

- (8:32pm) We were all finishing our dinner as they announced that presentations would soon begin upstairs. In the yellow shirt, near center left, is one of our hosts during the biennial, Dr. Emilio Martinez Estevez. In the lower right of the photo is forum member Allan Bredeson (Al in Kona).

IPS_2005-10-03_20-31-16.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

Let's hope Ryan has MANY more photos that were taken when people thought the batteries were dead... :D

Bo-Göran

I do...muwahaha..but some of them will never see the light of day... :ghostface:

2006 IPS Biennial - DR

Barahona

- (8:33pm) Nearing the end of dinner, attendee and forum member Bo-Göran Lundkvist (bgl) talks with Dr. John Dransfield and his wife Soejatmi.

IPS_2005-10-03_20-32-48.jpg

At this time, we all ventured upstairs to the meeting area, Salon Larimar, to see two of the night's presentations. Afterwards, many attendees retired to their rooms, while others (Green Bus members naturally) relaxed around the pool.  We managed to attract members from other groups to partake in our activities.

- (9:42pm) Attendee Rob Branch from Sarasota, Florida and forum member Kathryn Ostadal (Kathryn) share a drink in the pool.

IPS_2005-10-03_21-42-48.jpg

- (10:47pm) Our own nighttime activity went well into the night. Many chose to take a swim, either by wanting to, or falling in. Murray Corman can wax conversation anywhere, and in the pool is no exception.

IPS_2005-10-03_22-47-26.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

I see you guys found a Ranch Hand in training in post #69.

Shes even wearing her "Princess" top.

I'm glad the pics are awesome and the documentation is great. This page only took over an hour to load on dial-up. :)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Aw shucks etc!

Rob Branch of Sarasota was my roomate and I thought he had just gone out for a long jog . . .

Regardez

PS : great to be with the Searle gang and numero Presidentes!

Regardez

Jon

Juan

2006 IPS Biennial - DR

Day 5 - Wednesday, October 4th

Barahona - Jaragua National Park

This day began with a high level of enthusiasm that spread throughout all attendees. As we all knew we would be travelling to Jaragua National Park to see Pseudophoenix ekmanii in habitat. For many attendees, including myself, this was an incredible experience to connect with this wonderful palm. This species has held the attention of botanical gardens, growers, and collectors for many years, ever since it was first described. Along the way to the park, we stopped halfway to see a stretch of lush coastline where Sabal domingensis grows wild.

- (6:48am) Sunrise at Hotel Costa Larimar.

IPS_2005-10-04_06-48-32.jpg

- (6:49am) A wide angle shot of the hotel's main courtyard, taken from a top floor balcony. The other modern building is on the right, with the second floor patio area on the left.

IPS_2005-10-04_06-49-10.jpg

- (9:16am) The different group buses departed the hotel in staggered times, so each group could stop here to see the coastline. I was unable to see any signs of where we were, but based on the terrain and landmarks I figured we were near the town of Paraiso, halfway between Barahona and Oviedo along Route 44. Judy Norris and Leland Lai are on the left, forum member Jon Kenahan (Bilbo) [center, white hat], then in order: attendees Rob Branch, George Yao, John Greenleaf, and forum member Jack Sayers (elHoagie).

IPS_2005-10-04_09-16-42.jpg

- (9:17am) Same location as above, shot in reverse. Houston Chapter President Paul Norris is readying his camera as I used mine. Forum member Scott Walkowicz (aztropic) [far right in blue] uses his camera as well.

IPS_2005-10-04_09-17-04.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

2006 IPS Biennial - DR

Barahona - Jaragua National Park

Group B (Green) had about fifteen minutes to enjoy the surroundings before we had to board the bus bound for Jaragua National Park.

- (9:18am) Judy & Paul Norris pose under a natural arch with the coastline in the background.

IPS_2005-10-04_09-18-24.jpg

- (9:20am) Forum member Jack Sayers (elHoagie) poses with the same background.

IPS_2005-10-04_09-20-10.jpg

- (9:22am) The entire area was dotted with Sabal domingensis. Many plants had already been trimmed for their leaves, which is the primary material for roof thatching.

IPS_2005-10-04_09-22-24.jpg

- (9.27am) Representing the Philippines are attendees Aurora & George Yao who also enjoyed the location. A local highway worker who was trimming the weeds along the road popped up at the last second.

IPS_2005-10-04_09-27-04.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

2006 IPS Biennial - DR

Jaragua National Park

- (9:29am) Group B (Green) boarded our bus after this brief stop, to head out for the Jaragua National Park.

IPS_2005-10-04_09-29-20.jpg

- (10:02am) We continue down Route 44 towards the small town of Oviedo, which is not far from the start of yet another series of staging areas. Cows partake in a game of baseball, by far the national sport of all of the Dominican Republic.

IPS_2005-10-04_10-02-26.jpg

- (10:58am) We arrived at a staging area just west of the town of Oviedo at 10:50 AM, where we disembarked from our bus and boarded the safari vehicles again. Here we are, most of Group B, riding along on a fairly smooth road to the cow pasture/landing zone. I was one of the last to get on, so I got the makeshift cooler seat.

IPS_2005-10-04_10-58-06.jpg

- (11:05am) Group B (Green) scrambles out of the safari vehicles and onto the cow pasture that served as our landing zone. Judy & Paul Norris disembark followed by Andrea & Jeff Searle.

IPS_2005-10-04_11-05-08.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

2006 IPS Biennial - DR

Jaragua National Park

At this time, Group B (Green) started to gather at the landing zone, after all the safari vehicles had delivered everyone. Group A (Blue) has already been at the site for about 45 minutes, and began to work their way back to the forward landing area in the park. There were three helicopters, running simultaneously, ferrying people from the cow pasture to the forward landing site, and back.

- (11:05am) Group B (Green) were told to arrange ourselves into groups of five people, which represented one helicopter load.

IPS_2005-10-04_11-05-48.jpg

- (11:09am) The family that owned the cow pasture, and cows, that allowed us to use it for our landing site.

IPS_2005-10-04_11-09-40.jpg

- (11:12am) One of the helicopters landing after returning from the forward landing site. They were three, Bell 206L-4 LongRanger IV helicopters and it cost $4,500 US an hour to operate all three of them.

IPS_2005-10-04_11-12-04.jpg

- (11:14am) Group B (Green) began their sorties over to the forward landing site. In one of the first groups was attendee Christie Jones [center, yellow].

IPS_2005-10-04_11-14-34.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida