IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

2006 IPS Biennial - Republica Dominicana

Palmarum

On October 1st, about a hundred and fifty people from more countries that I can remember, traveled to the Caribbean to partake in this year's biennial of the Dominican Republic. As this was my first biennial, after many years of waiting, I had great expectations and was richly rewarded. I had an incredible time both visiting the county, and meeting such interesting people who shared their love of palms. A unique experience is created when you put names to faces of people you only know from emails, websites, forum postings, and from sheer reputation alone. I took well over a thousand photos on this trip and will posting the best ones in chronological order. This will represent the biennial from my point of view and will hopefully allow those of you who were unable to attend; to experience a truly great tour in a wonderful place.

A few photos to tease for what this topic will show in the near future.

Coccothrinax boschiana, near Barrara, Azua where the mountains of Sierra Martin Garcia meet the sea.

IPS_2005-10-03_12-39-56.jpg

Pseudophoenix ekmanii, in Jaragua National Park

IPS_2005-10-04_12-32-58.jpg

Coccothrinax ekmanii, along the road to Pedernales

IPS_2005-10-05_10-44-08.jpg

Copernicia berteroana, on farmland outside of Azua

IPS_2005-10-06_14-42-06.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

Who were the speakers and how were they ?

What were the main discussion points generally ?

Any new palms mentioned ?

Dypsis naming sorted out ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Great photos.   Thanks Ryan.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

(Palmarum @ Oct. 09 2006,17:53)

On October 1st, about a hundred and fifty people from more countries that I can remember, traveled to the Caribbean to partake in this year's biennial of the Dominican Republic. As this was my first biennial, after many years of waiting, I had great expectations and was richly rewarded. I had an incredible time both visiting the county, and meeting such interesting people who shared their love of palms. A unique experience is created when you put names to faces of people you only know from emails, websites, forum postings, and from sheer reputation alone. I took well over a thousand photos on this trip and will posting the best ones in chronological order. This will represent the biennial from my point of view and will hopefully allow those of you who were unable to attend; to experience a truly great tour in a wonderful place.

A few photos to tease for what this topic will show in the near future.

Coccothrinax boschiana, near Barrara, Azua where the mountains of Sierra Martin Garcia meet the sea.

IPS_2005-10-03_12-39-56.jpg

Pseudophoenix ekmanii, in Jaragua National Park

IPS_2005-10-04_12-32-58.jpg

Coccothrinax ekmanii, along the road to Pedernales

IPS_2005-10-05_10-44-08.jpg

Copernicia berteroana, on farmland outside of Azua

IPS_2005-10-06_14-42-06.jpg

Ryan

Ryan,

Great idea on the photos, but check and see if someone didn`t beat you to it.

(Dave Butler @ Oct. 09 2006,20:22)

Ryan,

Great idea on the photos, but check and see if someone didn`t beat you to it.

Ryan,

Post as many photos as possible, these are awesome!  Hopefully we'll end up with quite a few photos of all the palms we saw.  

Jack

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

2006 IPS Biennial - DR

Day 1 - Sept. 30th

My group and I arrived in Santo Domingo about a day early, so we had some extra time to explore the city. Here is a photo from the hotel, the el Embajador, no ocean view on this side though.

IPS_2005-09-30_15-25-24.jpg

In the pool area attendees began to arrive and say hello to each other. Here is biennial veteran Jim Glock

, forum member Bo-Göran Lundkvist (bgl)

, and Jeff Searle discussing palms, biennials, etc.

IPS_2005-09-30_17-36-26.jpg

The pool area bar, the source of much of the alcohol served and consumed around the pool. This added to more interesting conversations. :)

IPS_2005-09-30_17-48-54.jpg

A grand piano provides classical music in the hotel lobby. The el Embajador Hotel had been celebrating it's 50th anniversary. Many vintage photographs of the hotel and it's more famous guests were on display throughout the lobby.

IPS_2005-09-30_20-09-50.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

Dear Guys  :)

very nice pictures of palms & of our members,

and after seeing the location it appears that

Dominican Republic is not a small time fishing

hamlet as i presumed earlier !

it looks fairly well developed and mordern

in outlook.

thanks for sharing those lighter moments

with us !

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Nice shirts Bo and Jeff.

So what was everyone's favorite poison at night ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I'll just jump right in. My "health drink" is always vokda and     craneburry juise.  :D

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(Wal @ Oct. 10 2006,05:21)

Brugal Rum!  :P They drink it like, and maybe even in place of water over there. It is available for sale in nearly every shack,shantee,or business of any type,regardless of whatever else they may specialize in.

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

(Jeff Searle @ Oct. 10 2006,08:27)

I'll just jump right in. My "health drink" is always vokda and     craneburry juise.  :D

Jeff seems to still be recovering from his "health drink".

Great pictures, looking forward to plenty more.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

(Wal @ Oct. 10 2006,05:21)

I couldn't believe how much I drank at the biennial.  I had mostly "el Presidente" beer or "Brugal" rum, but I did drink a few of the high end "Imperial" rum.  There were always plenty of fun people to hang out with before and after dinner, and it doesn't take much for me to stay and have one more...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

2006 IPS Biennial - DR

Day 1 - Saturday, Sept. 30th

For most of us who arrived early, Saturday was spent relaxing and unpacking. There were many other who arrived even earlier than we did, and took excursions to different places throughout the country.

- Speaking of 'el Presidente' beer, here is IPS President Paul Craft [licuala], Jim Glock, and Andrea Searle all enjoying the aforementioned beverage in the hotel lobby. For many attendees, their use of the Spanish language was limited, but "Uno más Cerveza, por favor" was one phrase quickly learned.

IPS_2005-09-30_15-59-54.jpg

- My group and I sitting down for lunch at the Las Porches Restaurant near the pool area of the hotel. We are trying to describe what a 'hamburger' is to the waiter.

IPS_2005-09-30_16-25-30.jpg

- Later that afternoon, the five of us (Jeff Searle, Jim & Judy Glock, Andrea Searle & myself) relaxing in the hotel lobby contemplating what to do for the rest of the day.

IPS_2005-09-30_17-58-06.jpg

- The rest of the day turned into a dip in the pool at night. Jim & Judy Glock expressing the finer points of biennial atmosphere to forum member Kathryn [Kathryn].

IPS_2005-09-30_19-09-48.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

2006 IPS Biennial - DR

Day 2 - Sunday, October 1st

On sunday morning, we headed out to explore the Old Town of Santo Domingo.

- A view of the hotel entrance.

IPS_2005-10-01_09-02-02.jpg

- A shot of the lobby just inside the main entrance to the el Embajador Hotel, showing the huge flower arrangement that greeted us each time we returned.

IPS_2005-10-01_09-09-04.jpg

- After a short taxi ride, we arrived at the El Conde Gate, which was also the beginning of Calle el Conde, a street lined with stores, kiosks, and all sorts of people. The el Conde Gate is a favorite site among Dominicans, it was the place where the March for Independance originated in 1844.

IPS_2005-10-01_09-35-06.jpg

Many sites were found throughout the streets of the Colonial Zone, one of the most impressive had to be the oldest cathedral in the western hemisphere, the Catedral Primada de América, or its full translated name is the Holy Metropolitan Cathedral Basilica of our Lady Holy Mary of the Incarnation. The construction began around 1516 and was completed near 1526.

IPS_2005-10-01_10-21-06.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

2006 IPS Biennial - DR

- Near mid-afternoon we came to Columbus Square, basically the heart of the Colonial Zone. On the northwest corner of the square, lies a small restaurant where we all stopped to rest our feet and get a drink. Jim & Judy Glock are in the foreground, Jeff Searle to the right, his wife Andrea in the center background, and Barry Lang to the left. Barry Lang is the senior horticulturist of the Durban Botanic Gardens in South Africa. He joined our merry band of biennial attendees on many ocassions, and it was a pleasure to have met him.

IPS_2005-10-01_11-48-04.jpg

- The statue of Christopher Columbus in the center of the square honoring him.

IPS_2005-10-01_11-24-40.jpg

- After a long walk back through the Calle el Conde, we got a taxi back to the Hotel el Embajador. We gathered the same group and walked down the street to an Italian restaurant where we ate a late lunch. Adding to our group this time was attendee Paul Richnow (on the right, in blue), a landscape designer from the island of Nevis.

IPS_2005-10-01_13-51-34.jpg

- After lunch, we made our way to the pool where we met other attendees who had arrived, and others who just arriving.

IPS_2005-10-01_15-34-18.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

jeff how did you manage to get into every picture?

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Ryan,

I knew you would do a great job documenting the Biennial! Excellent photos and excellent commentary and I look forward to the rest! It'll be like experiencing it all over again. And without the occasional 97F heat.... :D

Thanks for all your efforts!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Pseudophoenix ekmanii, in Jaragua National Park (Palmarum photo) has a Consolea pricklypear cactus on the right (or Opuntia if you don't think Consolea should be a genus).   Consolea is a very Caribbean (and barely Floridian) group.  

Nice photo of Copernicia berteroana.  I'll take good care of my baby.

It's humbling to realize that some of the buildings in Santo Domingo would be old if they were in Spain.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Ryan,

You are definitely the photographer of the group!!! :cool:

All great pics!

Get them coming!

pablo

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

Gee, all that time in the pool.  When you all came to Hawai`i we seemed to busy on the move to spend much time in the hotel other than sleeping.

Ryan,

Can you create a web page anywhere and then "really" tell your story with text and pictures.

This is what I did back in 2004

IPS 2004 - Hawaii

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

Dear Palmarum  :)

those stills of dominican Republic has changed my

opnion of that place. from your photos i can see

how developed this country is.

and that biennial can be the best place to relax

from daily hectic schedules.the pools & clear sky

looks like tropical heaven.

the photography is excellant & the still sizes are

perfect_they appear life like.

thanks very much for sharing those stills with us.

love,

Kris(India).

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Ryan,

Can you create a web page anywhere and then "really" tell your story with text and pictures.

Steve, I will probably do that in the future, but with the demand and quantity of photos it is just easier to do it this way for now.

2006 IPS Biennial - DR

- More photos of Sunday afternoon around the pool as more attendees arrived. In this photo, from left to right: Christie Jones, Murray Corman, Larry Aronson, and John Greenleaf, all from South Florida.

IPS_2005-10-01_15-25-36.jpg

- Michael Merritt and Rob Branch

IPS_2005-10-01_16-41-30.jpg

- Geri and David Prall

IPS_2005-10-01_16-46-54.jpg

- Inside the lobby, volunteers take names and hand out our name badges.

IPS_2005-10-01_18-07-18.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

2006 IPS Biennial - DR

As the day turned into night, the Biennial festivities started to churn to life. Around 6:30 pm, many attendees started to meet each other in the hotel lobby, and the one bartender quickly became overwhelmed.

- One of many shots of the bar in action.

IPS_2005-10-01_18-33-38.jpg

- The outside meeting area behind the hotel, La Galeria, where we all officially started the Biennial during the Welcome Cocktail. In the middle, is Dr. John Dransfield.

IPS_2005-10-01_19-14-00.jpg

- The Welcome Cocktail in full swing, with collector extraordinaires Ray & Theresa Gompf (in matching wear as usual) talking with Paul Craft.

IPS_2005-10-01_19-21-10.jpg

- The Welcome Dinner which was preceded by introductions and presentations.

IPS_2005-10-01_20-41-02.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

2006 IPS Biennial - DR

Day 3 - Monday, October 2nd

On Monday morning we all departed the hotel on a short trip to the National Botanic Garden, Dr. Rafael Ma. Moscoso. This most exquisite garden held many of the country's most famous palms. Afterwards, around 10:30 AM we made our way to the Guavaberry Golf & Country Club for lunch and a tour of their extensive Acrocomia aculeata collection.

- For the majority of our travels, we were transported by large tour buses. The entire group of attendee's were divided into three groups; A (blue), B (green) and C (orange). Each group had it's own bus, which would 'usually' travel on its own staggered schedule. Here is a morning shot of my bus, the Green Bus...known by other groups as the crazy, party bus.

IPS_2005-10-02_08-19-22.jpg

- The open gates at the National Botanic Garden as all three groups arrived and poured through.

IPS_2005-10-02_08-59-38.jpg

- A panoramic view of the main entrance area of the garden.

IPS_2005-10-02_09-00-44.jpg

- The first palm of note in the main entrance area, Bactris plumeriana.

IPS_2005-10-02_09-03-32.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

Great photos.  I have been waiting somewhat impatiently, for more.  Keep them coming/

Robert

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

Thanks for sharing - great pics!

Tom
Mid-Pinellas (St. Petersburg) Florida, USA

Member of Palm Society 1973-2012
Gizella Kopsick Palm Arboretum development 1977-1991
Chapter President 1983-84
Palm Society Director 1984-88

Thank you for the pictures!!! - APPLAUSE -

How many old friends! I wish I was there (on the party bus of course) but I could not attend this meeting... more and more biennials will come.

Oh please send more pictures. I wish to see one of Leonel Mera, who was the "father" of this Bennial. And tell us about the lectures. Also, did you see the Attalea crassispatha growing at the Jardín Botánico? How large are they now? Any image?

And what about the days in Cuba? Who will be the first to post pictures of the Cuban tour?

Carlo

I wish it would have been possible to make this trip.  Hurry up Costa Rica!

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

2006 IPS Biennial - DR

A few moments were spent taking in the garden as the employees of the garden and our guides grouped us onto the trams. The tram tour showed the major aspects of the garden, and stopped at various points along the way for us to explore certain locations.

- Forum member Kathryn showing just how spiny the leaves of Bactris plumeriana can be.

IPS_2005-10-02_09-07-04.jpg

- One of the trams that took us around the garden getting fully loaded.

IPS_2005-10-02_09-08-04.jpg

- Forum member Bo-Goran Lundkvist and his wife Karolyn waiting for the next tram.

IPS_2005-10-02_09-09-16.jpg

- Palm Biologist Scott Zona (center) waits along side Dr. John Dransfield and his wife Soejatmi.

IPS_2005-10-02_09-12-12.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

2006 IPS Biennial - DR

National Botanic Garden, Dr. Rafael Ma. Moscoso

In one large central area of the garden, was a palm rich 'glade' stretching over a few small hills. The majority of the garden's palms where located here, and the tram stopped to let us off to view them.

- A large group of mature Blue Latan Palms, Latania loddigesii.

IPS_2005-10-02_09-13-54.jpg

- A closeup of a very tall Coccothrinax argentea, one of many excellent specimens.

IPS_2005-10-02_09-15-32.jpg

- A mature Syagrus schizophylla showing near ripe fruit.

IPS_2005-10-02_09-16-10.jpg

- One of the small depressions held this group of Licuala grandis, that have adapted to growing in full sun. That is Jeff Searle walking away on the right.

IPS_2005-10-02_09-16-30.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

2006 IPS Biennial - DR

- The crown and open inflorescence of Aiphanes horrida. This palm was formerly known as A. caryotifolia and A. aculeata.

IPS_2005-10-02_09-17-56.jpg

- This is an excellent specimen of Aiphanes minima with a very nice crown and leaf shape.

IPS_2005-10-02_09-22-54.jpg

- A small group of Dictyosperma album var. furfuraceum with myself.  Recently, I believe this variety was lumped in with the standard species, D. album var. album.

IPS_2005-10-02_09-25-02.jpg

- Many different sizes of Pseudophoenix vinifera, with a robust individual in the center. That is attendee and forum member Scott Walkowicz (aztropic) standing next to it.

IPS_2005-10-02_09-26-52.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

2006 IPS Biennial - DR

After a brief tour on the trams, we traveled through a rainforest area of heavy canopy, then we arrived at the Japanese Garden. Here we were let off to explore it on foot.

- The entrance to the Japanese Garden as all three groups enter.

IPS_2005-10-02_09-44-50.jpg

- In one corner of the Japanese Garden, there was this one large tree that was painstakingly trimed to resemble a giant bonsai.

IPS_2005-10-02_09-48-16.jpg

- A panoramic view of the pond and manicured landscape of the Japanese Garden.

IPS_2005-10-02_09-49-28.jpg

- When we were finished, we walked back and rested on the tram, while we waited for all the groups to return to their trams. Jeff Searle (left) with forum member Bo-Goran Lundkvist, his wife Karolyn, and Andrea Searle all discussing the weather and the plants we had just seen.

IPS_2005-10-02_09-56-22.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

WOW Ryan, great shots to show the event, Thanks!

I also see Leland Lai in a few shots, (front of the bus, front and center of the bar??) he is the president of the So. Cal palm society.

Takes forever for the pics to load, but its worth it!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!