IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How do you get rid of chickens in the yard?

Gonzer

So, are the chickent gone?

If not, well, out come the knives and forks . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Gonzer, I figured that you would call this guy (photo 1) to take care of your chicken problem.

Personally, I would choose the guy in the second photo. :lol:

post-97-1255957729_thumb.jpg

post-97-1255957740_thumb.jpg

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

• 2 weeks later...

Living on a lot zoned as agricultural is great for growing palms. However, the daily foraging by hordes of chickens from neighboring properties is not helping my veggie garden – the chickens peck holes into the tomatoes and peppers, and it was a battle to harvest the short stalks of dwarf sweet corn before chickens consumed it all. Besides getting fresh eggs from time to time, the only advantage to having neighbors with chickens is that the early morning crowing of roosters negates the need for setting an alarm clock :lol:

The wild turkeys are even more destructive than chickens for my planter beds and small seedlings. These turkeys can fly over tall fences and sometimes roost high up in the trees – the first turkey I spotted perched up in my variegated pandanus tree looked like it was waiting for an unsuspecting poodle or small child to wander by :drool:

Installing a sturdy hog-proof perimeter fence around my property did stop intrusion by the very destructive feral pigs, but chickens and turkeys still get in to the yard on a daily basis.

Some of my organic farmer friends have been losing so much produce that they have had to resort to raiding nests and “doing away with” the baby chicks of feral chickens and turkeys roosting on their property. Not a fun thing to have to do or to think about, but probably a better solution than setting out poison bait which could be consumed by other wildlife and household pets.

Dan on the Big Island of Hawai'i / Dani en la Isla Grande de Hawai

Events Photographer roving paparazzi "konadanni"

Master Gardener, University of Hawai’i College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources

Certified Arborist, International Society of Arboriculture

LinkedIn & email: konadanni@gmail.com / Facebook & Twitter & Google Plus: DanTom BigIsland

:angry:

Living on a lot zoned as agricultural is great for growing palms. However, the daily foraging by hordes of chickens from neighboring properties is not helping my veggie garden – the chickens peck holes into the tomatoes and peppers, and it was a battle to harvest the short stalks of dwarf sweet corn before chickens consumed it all. Besides getting fresh eggs from time to time, the only advantage to having neighbors with chickens is that the early morning crowing of roosters negates the need for setting an alarm clock :lol:

The wild turkeys are even more destructive than chickens for my planter beds and small seedlings. These turkeys can fly over tall fences and sometimes roost high up in the trees – the first turkey I spotted perched up in my variegated pandanus tree looked like it was waiting for an unsuspecting poodle or small child to wander by :drool:

Installing a sturdy hog-proof perimeter fence around my property did stop intrusion by the very destructive feral pigs, but chickens and turkeys still get in to the yard on a daily basis.

Some of my organic farmer friends have been losing so much produce that they have had to resort to raiding nests and "doing away with" the baby chicks of feral chickens and turkeys roosting on their property. Not a fun thing to have to do or to think about, but probably a better solution than setting out poison bait which could be consumed by other wildlife and household pets.

Sounds like it is time to embrace your inner carnivore. :rage:

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Yesterday was our big annual Pua Plantasia plant sale to benefit Kona Outdoor Circle where I volunteer. While volunteering / schmoozing there I talked with another local grower pal who shared his more humane solution for this problem. He installed a large cage out in the yard where he can see it from the house, and placed food inside the cage which was left open many days for those daily foraging wild chickens and roosters. The wild poultry became accustomed to the easy dining opportunities there and began to let down their guard. My friend ran a line from his house out to the cage door, and he now just gives a jerk on the line to snap the cage door closed whenever he looks out and sees them foraging inside the cage. His record catch was 9 wild roosters in a single day, He takes them all down to our local Humane Society for placement at more remote homestead sites where local Hawaiians raise their own pigs and chickens for family consumption. My friend’s property is just down the road from my place, so I’m hopeful his ongoing efforts will be able to minimize the wild poultry population here in Kona Acres.

Sounds like it is time to embrace your inner carnivore. :rage:

Dan on the Big Island of Hawai'i / Dani en la Isla Grande de Hawai

Events Photographer roving paparazzi "konadanni"

Master Gardener, University of Hawai’i College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources

Certified Arborist, International Society of Arboriculture

LinkedIn & email: konadanni@gmail.com / Facebook & Twitter & Google Plus: DanTom BigIsland