IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Great palm society outing part two

Walter John

This day is in fact in 3 stages, three garden visits. the first being Palm fascinations in nambour, see that thread, the second visit was at a members dry garden in caboolture featuring fantastic succulents, agaves, cycads etc. The third visit was to a members residence in a suburban garden in Brisbane itself. An amazing garden for an inner city suburb.

Here's some of the photos I took.

Sorry, I'm having problems with Photobucket, I'll get back soon.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Okay let's see now,

Yes folks, you are not seeing things, that is a Corypha in his front yard. That's Daryl on the footpath and you can see the house so there's not much room really. Dypsis stumpy 1 hovering inside the gate there.

Phil1.jpg

Copernicia

Phil2.jpg

Here's the front of his place, that royal is a monster.

Phil3.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Close up of the Corypha petioles (Hanging tree ?)

Phil4.jpg

Looking down his driveway to the street

Phil6.jpg

Mixture still in the small front yard. Just goes to show the skeptics, there's always room for another palm.

Phil5.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Salacca and Joey palm with newcal's twin for perspective.

Phil7.jpg

The white stems of Dypsis onilahensis up the back yard now.

Phil8.jpg

Lovely Copernicia

Phil9.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Can you believe this is all in a suburban yard ? It is a marvel I can tell ye.

Basselinia close up

Phil10.jpg

Distorted Howeas

Phil11.jpg

Daryl investigated a set of Cocothrinax, etc.

Phil13.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

One of two or three ponds at back

Phil12.jpg

Licuala radula, Chammies and a Pinanga sp.

Phil15.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(Wal @ Nov. 13 2006,23:09)

the second visit was at a members dry garden in caboolture featuring fantastic succulents, agaves, cycads etc.

Hi Wal, would you be so kind and post some pics from the second visit in the non-palmy section of the board? I'd be interested in seeing those too. Thanks. Jan

N48° 19'12.42", E18°06'50.15"

continental climate somewhat moderated by the influence of the mediterranean sea, atlantic ocean and north sea water masses but still prone to arctic blasts from the east as well as hot and dry summers. pushing the limits is exciting.

What an incredible yard - and wouldja look at that onilahensis, yowwww!

Thanks for posting the pics, Wal.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

(jam99 @ Nov. 14 2006,20:12)

the second visit was at a members dry garden in caboolture featuring fantastic succulents, agaves, cycads etc.

Hi Wal, would you be so kind and post some pics from the second visit in the non-palmy section of the board? I'd be interested in seeing those too. Thanks. Jan

Will do Jan, I'll place it in the "other plants" section. The photos have come out well even though it was the middle of a glarry day.

I won't have any names for you I'm sorry.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

SunnyFl,

That onilahensis started out as Dypsis 'bef' or brevinoides, or slick willy etc. The garden belongs to longtime PACSOA director and IPS member, Phillip Arrowsmith, and is one of the outstanding Brisbane gardens, as far as palms are concerned. Many rare species and impressive specimens. Phillip has the largest Ravenea robustiors I've ever seen...they are yet to form trunks, but are 20-25 ft tall and 20" diameter at the base.

We were there to size up a palm which Newcal has to move..a Copernicia gigas which is up in the power lines (see photo with large royal). Anybody had success moving large specimens of this species?

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

(Wal @ Nov. 14 2006,07:08)

(jam99 @ Nov. 14 2006,20:12)

Will do Jan, I'll place it in the "other plants" section. The photos have come out well even though it was the middle of a glarry day.

I won't have any names for you I'm sorry.

Cool, thanks Wal. Don't worry 'bout names. There are succulent experts on this board who'll be glad to chip in.

N48° 19'12.42", E18°06'50.15"

continental climate somewhat moderated by the influence of the mediterranean sea, atlantic ocean and north sea water masses but still prone to arctic blasts from the east as well as hot and dry summers. pushing the limits is exciting.

Great pics Wal.  Thanks for the garden tour.

Robert

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

• 1 month later...

Another post I missed during my absence.  Great photos Wal.  It looks like you guys had a great time.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

i missed this too when i was on vacation!ray,thanks for

"doinking" it & wal thanks for the fabulous pics!so much cool stuff that we can't grow in socal :(

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Thanks Wal  :)

i do not know how i missed this thread,those

copernicas & Cryopas are simply superb !

thanks for those lovely Stills.

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif