IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The 11th Annual Fall Searle Brothers Plant Extravaganza

Palmarum

- 5:06PM: One down, two to go. Friday was very hectic, especially in the morning hours but this was expected. The front entrance to the shadehouse saw the most amount of foot traffic and was one area we had to restock the most during the day.

RDG2009-10-02_17-06-08.jpg

- 6:16PM: After the end of the day, it has become tradition for all the plant minded volunteers to tour Jeff's yard and talk plants. It also gives me another opportunity to see what has recently become picture worthy in the yard, including this crownshaft belonging to a Neoveitchia storckii.

RDG2009-10-02_18-16-11.jpg

- This species was a popular one during the Extravaganza, as its small group along the sidewalk saw some strong action during the day. There is also a larger, mature specimen setting seed currently in the holding area at the nursery. I took a few customers over to see it throughout the day, resulting in instant affection and subsequent purchase of the species.

RDG2009-10-02_18-16-20.jpg

- 6:29PM: This unusual ginger was in full bloom. We know it is in the Tapeinochilos genus, but not sure as to the species. It is probably closely related to Indonesian Wax Ginger, Tapeinochilos ananassae.

RDG2009-10-02_18-29-54.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 6:32PM: The conversation dealt mostly with crotons, as there is a constant debate as to the identification of many cultivars. Jeff has an incredible diversity of them in his yard and they are Judy Glock's favorite plant group. Jim supervised the debate and made sure it didn't get out of hand.

RDG2009-10-02_18-32-25.jpg

- 6:39PM: We were following the edge of the property looking at crotons when I came across this Chamaedorea elatior growing very well up an oak tree.

RDG2009-10-02_18-39-20.jpg

- I had not noticed the plant since it had been planted and was surprised by its rapid growth. It is the only species of Chamaedorea that I know of that grows as a vine.

RDG2009-10-02_18-39-26.jpg

- 6:41PM: Another surprise was this Sommieria leucophylla growing with vigor and haste. This palm can sometimes be finicky in South Florida habitats, but is doing excellent at this point.

RDG2009-10-02_18-41-00.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 6:41PM: A full-length portrait of the Sommieria leucophylla showing its compact crown of undivided leaves. This is as close to smiling as a palm can get. The tour continued through the yard as we knew the eagerly awaited dinner spread was almost ready.

RDG2009-10-02_18-41-13.jpg

- 6:44PM: When you enter the yard now you are greeted by a hidden "Woof!" coming from foliage somewhere near you. It belongs to Kane, Jeff's new 'puppy'. He is well camouflaged when he is in the brush and will follow Kona around everywhere.

RDG2009-10-02_18-44-41.jpg

- 6:56PM: A fast growing favorite among Cuban palm enthusiasts, the Copernicia × sueroana growing in Jeff's yard seems to increase in size each time I see it. Jim was also impressed by its size and petiole coloration. I had to make sure Jim didn't get stuck in the armored petioles.

RDG2009-10-02_18-56-55.jpg

- 7:03PM: In the last photo from Friday, Jim shows his affection for one of the larger Carpoxylon macrospermum specimens in the yard. He has a strong attachment to his favorite palms.

RDG2009-10-02_19-03-03.jpg

Saturday morning comes next...

Ryan

South Florida

Nice pictures. Looks like rock concert/jazz fest/ plant show.

I especially like the pic of "Pops" That's a classic.

Bayside Tree Farms is located in Homestead Florida USA
(305) 245-9544

Any photos of the tree collection?? I know Jeff has some nice ones.. :winkie:

The Sommieria is absolutely stunning!!

Regards, Ari :)

Edited by ariscott

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Thank You So Much for posting these beautiful pictures of such rare and well grown palms and other plants headed to new, Happy Homes! Steve

Edited by Hidden Palms

Steve

Growing lots of palms (indoors and outdoors) in a climate which gets cold (below freezing in winter).

Ryan,

Great coverage as usual. The silver bromeliad in post 39, picture 4 is Alcantarea odorata.

Robert

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

bayside mike Posted Yesterday, 06:26 PM

Nice pictures. Looks like rock concert/jazz fest/ plant show...

The Extravaganza has had small, live music performances in the past, but nothing on the scale as a rock concert. But it is an interesting idea...

ariscott Posted Yesterday, 07:03 PM

Any photos of the tree collection??...

Which group or family of trees? I have photographed Jeff's yard extensively and there are many groups of trees/plants in his yard.

RainForestt Robert Posted Yesterday, 07:42 PM

Ryan,

Great coverage as usual. The silver bromeliad in post 39, picture 4 is Alcantarea odorata.

Robert

Thank you for the ID Robert, I am still learning bromeliads slowly over time. Not fast enough though for the rate in which new ones are introduced.

Ryan

South Florida

- Saturday, 8:00AM: As the gates opened on Saturday morning, a fair amount of restocking and prep work was still in gear. In addition to plants being pulled, the requirements for the days BBQ were also brought over to the barn area. Customers by now are used to working their way around trailers and vehicles unloading in the early minutes of the sale. That is Larry Searle's truck parked on the side road as he was unloading a full load of just ice. Volunteer, collector, Biennial veteran and FM. Jim Glock (jglock1) enjoys the morning with his "nectar of the gods". To echo Friday morning's activity, the first plants to make their way onto a cart were again, crotons.

RDG2009-10-03_08-00-16.jpg

- 8:06AM: Those crotons now belonged to FM. Randy Wiesner (palmisland) as he was one of the first through the gate, and the first customer to enter the shadehouse. Judy Glock also enjoys her "nectar" and it goes well with selling plants early in the morning. Something about caffeine...

RDG2009-10-03_08-06-52.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 8:09AM: Volunteer Pfc. Shane Tanner will not function properly in the morning until he has at least one or two donuts. He was on that particular 'mission' when I noticed he was walking like a robot.

RDG2009-10-03_08-09-32.jpg

- 9:31AM: Saturday mornings typically start out slow, but quickly speed up as the time gets closer to ten o'clock. There were a small amount of collectors who arrived early, who could not have gotten here on Friday morning. They had their lists and understood if not everything was available. One of the first areas to be hit was the full sun palms off the shadehouse side entrance.

RDG2009-10-03_09-31-02.jpg

- 9:32AM: The slow pace of the morning disappeared as the sidewalk got full quick.

RDG2009-10-03_09-32-41.jpg

- 9:36AM: I was photographing the action while standing on a chair when I had to move out of the way for this customer's loaded cart. It had a few crotons on board along with a Dypsis utilis that had a new red leaf.

RDG2009-10-03_09-36-51.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 9:58AM: The tent at the shadehouse intersection serves many roles, including one as a temporary holding area for loaded carts.

RDG2009-10-03_09-58-35.jpg

- 10:24AM: I was explaining the details of a Verschaffeltia splendida to a customer while my camera was in the hands of FM. Mike Harris (waykoolplantz). His family has a long photographic history.

RDG2009-10-03_10-24-45.jpg

- 10:25AM: The Miniature Cymbidiums were being picked through quite well as they filled entire carts. There were not only a popular ground orchid, but many found their unique flowers irresistible.

RDG2009-10-03_10-25-58.jpg

- 10:26AM: "Mmm... orange soda." They want to ride the carts now, but wait until the sugar rush hits...

RDG2009-10-03_10-26-37.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Ryan-thanks for the coverage! And I second Ari-I know Jeff is growing some wonderful flowering and foliage trees in his yard so I'd love to see a thread.

San Fernando Valley, California

- 10:27AM: The main road was getting a good pounding this morning, as customers had their needs for landscape material.

RDG2009-10-03_10-27-41.jpg

- Sometimes, choosing the right Bromeliad is a family decision. In this instance it is to pick which Pineapple, Ananas comosus plant to get. It is probably the most common Bromeliad in the world.

RDG2009-10-03_10-27-52.jpg

- 10:28AM: As soon as plants formed one group in the holding area, an older one would be ready to go through the registers. Just like clockwork. Jeff's sister Kathy is walking down in the middle of the road, making sure everything is running smoothly in the holding area.

RDG2009-10-03_10-28-05.jpg

- 10:32AM: FM. Mike Harris (waykoolplantz) describes the growing potential of a small Corypha umbraculifera in the cart belonging to the two customers. He mentioned how spectacular the specimens in his collection have gotten over the years and told them what they have to look forward to.

RDG2009-10-03_10-32-38.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Peter Posted Today, 02:03 PM

Ryan-thanks for the coverage! And I second Ari-I know Jeff is growing some wonderful flowering and foliage trees in his yard so I'd love to see a thread.

It would be interesting indeed to see the flowering trees all together, but it would take a while just to capture each tree in bloom, if said tree was of age. They bloom throughout the year and I am just beginning to learn many of them. Tropical flowering trees are not restricted to a certain family of plants, so I have found learning them quite interesting and time consuming. I have been trying to train my brain to remember to photograph them whenever I do see one in bloom anywhere I might be.

- 10:36AM: The largest Chambeyronia macrocarpa that was put out for sale, heads for a new home. This was the one featured in the sale topic that had the 'watermelon' crownshaft coloration.

RDG2009-10-03_10-36-24.jpg

- 10:39AM: The regular ground orchids had one of the more prominent locations in the sales area and they were thinned out repeatedly during the day. We had to pull over-sized one gallon plants to fill the space after the larger ones sold.

RDG2009-10-03_10-39-36.jpg

- 10:44AM: The BBQ grills were being fired up at about this time and the sounds and smells of food being prepared began to draw customers over to the barn area. They had a little more time to wait before the feeding frenzy would begin.

RDG2009-10-03_10-44-18.jpg

- 10:47AM: Mike Harris had a loaded cart of crotons he was working on, placed near the back of the croton section. It was sitting in a space that was just 24 hours earlier chocked full of plants, placed nearly pot-to-pot.

RDG2009-10-03_10-47-17.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 10:48AM: The weather for Saturday afternoon was turning out to be spectacular. It was getting a bit warm for those who were not used to it, but we had plenty of bottled water on hand. Is that Bill Sanford in disguise pushing the cart to the right?

RDG2009-10-03_10-48-50.jpg

- 10:50AM: The earlier lunch patrons began to get in line so a few hamburgers and hot dogs were thrown on the grill to ease their hunger pains. The road next to the barn started to look like a parking lot for carts.

RDG2009-10-03_10-50-31.jpg

- Turning to the left looking up the side road, I see the parking trend continuing on the left, in front of the flowering trees.

RDG2009-10-03_10-50-36.jpg

- The flow of foot traffic going in, and exiting from, the shadehouse did not stop all day long.

RDG2009-10-03_10-50-47.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 11:05AM: Friends from far south... Danny and his father John are long time friends of Jeff that drove all the way up from Key West, Florida to visit the Extravaganza. Danny has a growing collection of palms and it is quickly becoming one of the largest palm collections of the Conch Republic. John is the owner of the popular Green Parrot Bar in Key West and has some great stories of life and history on the island.

RDG2009-10-03_11-05-21.jpg

- 11:14AM: "Hey Tom!" <click> Another Forum member joins those photographed in ambush. FM. Tom C. (tikitiki) works his way down in front of the tables looking for species that could handle Orlando's climate. He does amazing well with certain species that I would at first think would not grow there.

RDG2009-10-03_11-14-12.jpg

- 11:18AM: Danny quickly filled his cart and decided to make a pile around it. He was also shopping for another long-time collector in Key West, Andre Joris (Dre' Gardens) who some may remember from my previous topics.

RDG2009-10-03_11-18-34.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

That was an ambush but not as bad as the saddle back my wife found :hmm: . Don't worry ryan we do not blame you.

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

tikitiki Posted Today, 04:08 PM

That was an ambush but not as bad as the saddle back my wife found.... Don't worry ryan we do not blame you.

Tom, your timing in the topic is amazing. :winkie:

- 11:18AM: The plant world is often a small one. I encounter many situations throughout the Extravaganza where acquaintances, relatives and friends run into each other and spout the familiar phrase "Fancy meeting you here." Often with no prior knowledge of each others' plans for the day. It is nice to see how they all react, sometimes with glee, other times with "uh oh".

RDG2009-10-03_11-18-43.jpg

- 11:30AM: This little guy caused an interesting situation near noon on Saturday. Hmm, where to start... I do not remember how the conversation got started, but I was telling a story to Tom and his wife about a time where I was stung by a Saddleback Caterpillar, Sibine stimulea, and how it effected my arm. Not five minutes go by and Tom's wife went and accidentally found this guy under a croton leaf out along the main road and got stung in the finger; not to mention I had not seen one in the nursery in over 15 years. She came back into the shadehouse asking about what first aid I had used when I was stung, since she had just been nailed by one. I thought 100% she was joking. I could not believe that would happen so soon after I was talking about it, but it did. I felt that caterpillar only showed up cause I mentioned it, what are the odds. :unsure:

RDG2009-10-03_11-30-40.jpg

- 11:40AM: One customer carefully carries out one of the large-leaf Anthuriums that were for sale along the sidewalk. It was a bit top heavy.

RDG2009-10-03_11-40-16.jpg

- 11:41AM: Close to noon on Saturday, the croton selection really started to get depleted.

RDG2009-10-03_11-41-54.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 11:43AM: These four photos were taken in rapid succession around one billowing cloud of BBQ smoke as it moved around the side road near the barn...

RDG2009-10-03_11-43-36.jpg

RDG2009-10-03_11-43-40.jpg

- The BBQ aroma got everyone in line for lunch...

RDG2009-10-03_11-43-44.jpg

RDG2009-10-03_11-43-58.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

I was telling you about how my oldest ( the one in the green shirt in front of me in the pic) was stung a few days ago in my yard when he passed my teddybear by a yellow caterpillar. That is when you told me your story. So in all fairness I'm to blame for starting the whole mess. Karma, got to love it or at least respect it.

- 11:30AM: This little guy caused an interesting situation near noon on Saturday. Hmm, where to start... I do not remember how the conversation got started, but I was telling a story to Tom and his wife about a time where I was stung by a Saddleback Caterpillar, Sibine stimulea, and how it effected my arm. Not five minutes go by and Tom's wife went and accidentally found this guy under a croton leaf out along the main road and got stung in the finger; not to mention I had not seen one in the nursery in over 15 years. She came back into the shadehouse asking about what first aid I had used when I was stung, since she had just been nailed by one. I thought 100% she was joking. I could not believe that would happen so soon after I was talking about it, but it did. I felt that caterpillar only showed up cause I mentioned it, what are the odds. :unsure:

Ryan

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

Ryan,

Flowering trees are different ball games all together. There are so many out there, and the more I get into it, the more I realise that I have lots to learn. Usually they are all flowering at the end of the dry season, the handkerchief trees are grown for the new foliage as much as the flowers, and they flush after the dry season too. Probably in Spring for you?? I know Jeff is into handkerchief trees as much as I do...

Now that I am talking about trees.. a few are flowering in the garden now.. Maybe time for updated photos..

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Great pictures!! The saddleback caterpillar picture sent chills up my spine. These guys have been tormenting me for the last couple of months, which is an excuse for me not to pull weeds. I got stung by one about a month and a half ago and didn't know what it was. I had the phone on speed dial for 911 in one hand and was googling with the other. It really freaked me out. Most people would just kill it, however it was such a beautiful caterpillar that I decided to let it go even though it eats my palm leaves. So far I have been stung 4 times (twice in one day).

Great pictures!! The saddleback caterpillar picture sent chills up my spine. These guys have been tormenting me for the last couple of months, which is an excuse for me not to pull weeds. I got stung by one about a month and a half ago and didn't know what it was. I had the phone on speed dial for 911 in one hand and was googling with the other. It really freaked me out. Most people would just kill it, however it was such a beautiful caterpillar that I decided to let it go even though it eats my palm leaves. So far I have been stung 4 times (twice in one day).

I take it that its the little spikes that sting and not a bite?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

tikitiki Posted Yesterday, 08:01 PM

I was telling you about how my oldest ( the one in the green shirt in front of me in the pic) was stung a few days ago in my yard when he passed my teddybear by a yellow caterpillar. That is when you told me your story. So in all fairness I'm to blame for starting the whole mess. Karma, got to love it or at least respect it.

Tom, I hope your wife's finger is doing better now, as I know I would not want to relive the sting in my arm again.

ariscott Posted Yesterday, 08:09 PM

...Usually they are all flowering at the end of the dry season, the handkerchief trees are grown for the new foliage as much as the flowers, and they flush after the dry season too. Probably in Spring for you?? I know Jeff is into handkerchief trees as much as I do...

Jeff does grow the handkerchief trees and did have a few of them out for sale this fall. He had Brownea grandiceps, Saraca declinata, Saraca indica and Saraca thaipingensis. One larger Brownea grandiceps is blooming now in the nursery landscape. I am not sure as to when they flush the most often, but a few of the smaller containerized plants had small flushes on them during the sale.

BS Man about Palms Posted Today, 10:24 AM

I take it that its the little spikes that sting and not a bite?

Yes, the venom is housed in the pointed hairs around its body.

Ryan

South Florida

- 11:44AM: The clear skies meant higher temperatures as the day was heating up in a hurry. Customers were taking advantage of any available shade around the sales area, in this case the shade over the bromeliad section. I asked a few customers about the weather and they said they would rather have the heat than a downpour.

RDG2009-10-03_11-44-31.jpg

- I noticed that some of the newly arriving customers would head straight for the barn as soon as they caught a whiff of the BBQ. I knew I was getting hungry myself...

RDG2009-10-03_11-44-44.jpg

- 11:46AM: Occasionally, the receipt writers would get ahead of the registers but the wait was not that long.

RDG2009-10-03_11-46-25.jpg

- To the left of above, the loaded trailers were next in line to venture out to the parking lot while more customers were coming in down the road.

RDG2009-10-03_11-46-28.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 11:47AM: It was time for my daily trip out to the parking lot to see what was going on. Along the way, I captured the two directional flows, of customers leaving and entering the front of the sales area.

RDG2009-10-03_11-47-11.jpg

RDG2009-10-03_11-47-16.jpg

- 11:48AM: Outside at the gate, volunteer Donnie was keeping an eye on everything.

RDG2009-10-03_11-48-20.jpg

- 11:50AM: The southern half of the parking lot was full down to the edge of the school median and the normally wet area in the middle was dry, so no stuck tractors or carts... at first.

RDG2009-10-03_11-50-07.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

The usual great photography, Ryan. Reminds me of old times in Florida. The last two days we have had weather like that here, after three months of not having two hours without a shower. Are you and your camera going to be in Rio?

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Outstanding diversity! It is much more than a nursery. Well done!

I wish we could get a few of those plants here.

Carlo

Mike in Kurtisstown Posted Today, 01:43 PM

...Are you and your camera going to be in Rio?

That is looking much less likely, as I would rather save up to make sure I can get to Thailand.

- 11:50AM: Between the 30 mph speed limit and the speed bumps, standing out in the middle of 172nd Avenue to photograph is not that dangerous anymore. It makes for an interesting perspective on the parked cars.

RDG2009-10-03_11-50-25.jpg

- Carlos is such a ham. If he even remotely sees a camera nearby he will get into some sort of pose or stance.

RDG2009-10-03_11-50-36.jpg

- A bit of caution is needed when backing out into traffic. South Florida is known for its crazy drivers.

RDG2009-10-03_11-50-41.jpg

- Turning to the left, a view looking northwards along 172nd Avenue. I did get a wave from a returning customer from Friday morning as I was walking across the street. She was going back and forth looking for a spot until I told her to drive down to the next side street and turn right.

RDG2009-10-03_11-50-53.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 11:51AM: There is always at least one person that stops and asks "What is going on here?" while I am taking photos along the road.

RDG2009-10-03_11-51-25.jpg

- Heading back inside, I came across Shane as he was helping a customer. I think she forgot where her car was parked.

RDG2009-10-03_11-51-55.jpg

- 11:53AM: An empty cart comes back in while another leaves full. That is FM. Mike Harris (waykoolplantz) on his way home to start planting heavily in his yard.

RDG2009-10-03_11-53-05.jpg

- Chief Supervisor Braden routinely travels around the nursery making sure everything is in working order.

RDG2009-10-03_11-53-09.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 11:54AM: The plants keep coming and going all afternoon. As soon as an empty cart makes its way back to the front of the sales area, it is promptly grabbed by a customer.

RDG2009-10-03_11-54-10.jpg

- The two different fertilizers we had out for sale were selling better than expected. Instead of one bag here or there, customers were getting a couple at a time.

RDG2009-10-03_11-54-30.jpg

- A trio of Triangle Palms, Dypsis decaryi on route to a new home along with a spread of ground orchids.

RDG2009-10-03_11-54-55.jpg

- "Pops" Searle's favorite daughter Kathy got little rest while at the registers Saturday afternoon.

RDG2009-10-03_11-55-28.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 11:55AM: Kathy was not alone at the registers, as Edie Searle was also assisting in the transactions. The registers were assigned to either cash or credit, and made it easier for customers to decide on how to pay; usually with good 'ol plastic.

RDG2009-10-03_11-55-36.jpg

- 11:57AM: The sales area was as busy as I left it a few minutes earlier. A customer darts past on the left with a tall Spindle Palm, Hyophorbe verschaffeltii.

RDG2009-10-03_11-57-28.jpg

- 11:58AM: The side road had gotten real busy in the past half hour as customers looking for flowering trees and Heliconias mingled with those getting in line for lunch.

RDG2009-10-03_11-58-36.jpg

- 12:01PM: In the center of the photo, Randy Searle works his way back to the holding area with lunch while avoiding carts and getting asked questions.

RDG2009-10-03_12-01-17.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 12:01PM: Jim gets his hefty lunch a few minutes before I was going to get mine. Volunteers each have their favorite spot to go and eat lunch. Usually in a spot where they can still answer questions.

RDG2009-10-03_12-01-25.jpg

- 12:02PM: Customers may be in line for lunch and still will be shopping along the side road. I will often get asked questions about the flowering trees or about the palms in the landscape by customers in line for BBQ goodness.

RDG2009-10-03_12-02-19.jpg

- I turned around for a quick second to see FM. Scott W. (aztropic) making his way down the road. This was his second day here and he was still looking for something else to get.

RDG2009-10-03_12-02-29.jpg

- 12:03PM: The seating area under the barn can fill up very quickly, so some customers have to improvise their own lunch spot.

RDG2009-10-03_12-03-53.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 12:03PM: The BBQ smoke made it look very hazy, but if I could photograph the 'smell' of lunch it would be worth it. The array of plants can be a little overwhelming to first time visitors. The occasional customer will often want any "green plant" for a indescribable location in their garden and we will have to break down the choices one at a time.

RDG2009-10-03_12-03-58.jpg

- 12:04PM: All three BBQ grills in the cooking area were going full speed to cook up hundreds of hamburgers and hot dogs.

RDG2009-10-03_12-04-51.jpg

- 12:05PM: <sizzle!>

RDG2009-10-03_12-05-12.jpg

- 12:06PM: I grabbed my lunch and made my way back through the shadehouse only to find a traffic jam.

RDG2009-10-03_12-06-01.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 12:06PM: Volunteers Jim & Judy Glock dig into lunch while I check out how many crotons were left.

RDG2009-10-03_12-06-08.jpg

- The customer in the center quickly entered the shadehouse with speed and intent pulling the cart behind him...

RDG2009-10-03_12-06-49.jpg

- 12:07PM: ... so I followed him down the sidewalk as he did a good job of clearing a path.

RDG2009-10-03_12-07-57.jpg

- 12:16PM: The stash belonging to Danny and John continued to grow in my absence...

RDG2009-10-03_12-16-49.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 12:18PM: I used a chair to get as high up as I could in the center of the shadehouse to photograph these particularly crowded moments. Looking towards the front...

RDG2009-10-03_12-18-31.jpg

- 12:19PM: The early lunch crowd had finished eating and they all seemed to come in here all at once...

RDG2009-10-03_12-19-59.jpg

- 12:20PM: Looking towards the back end of the sidewalk I witnessed a group of customers in a heated debate about one of the palms near the end. I think it dealt with the two Beccariophoenix madagascariensis that are planted in the landscape.

RDG2009-10-03_12-20-09.jpg

- Same photo, 3 seconds later with a reverse focus... Hungry plant enthusiasts on the move...

RDG2009-10-03_12-20-12.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 12:24PM: The rate in which customers were arriving at the nursery showed no signs of slowing down. Even at this time on Saturday I met collectors who had just arrived, some after a long drive to get here. The customer towards the left checks out the Carpoxylon macrospermum group as the one near the cart guards her new favorite Alocasia.

RDG2009-10-03_12-24-40.jpg

- 12:57PM: After I finished my lunch, I ventured out to see how others were doing with theirs. At almost an hour and a half since the first burger hit the grill, the lunch line is still at full steam. The parking of carts near the barn was also in full effect.

RDG2009-10-03_12-57-35.jpg

- Good food, and lots of it. In addition to the hamburgers and hot dogs there were also the normal BBQ picnic fare, including BBQ beans, pickles and assorted chips. That red cooler on the left contained a large supply of sodas, with bottled water out of the shot on the right.

RDG2009-10-03_12-57-47.jpg

- Another impromptu seating area, this time in front of the Heliconia selection. Even containerized plants can provide a bit of shade.

RDG2009-10-03_12-57-53.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

mmmmm. I'm hungry now.... :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

But I'm also posting here so Ryan will start a new page so folks can download those multi-meg shots easier! :lol: