IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms and Cycads for Sale

Phil

Group,

It's been a long time since I've posted at this For Sale Forum. I thought I'd add a few species every few days. I'll try to give prices as we go. But, if you're ever at a loss, all prices are at our website. I'm not sure how long these prices will last. I'm adding pictures where I can. Now, let's get this show on the road.

Jungle Music

619 291 4605

Hedyscepe canteburyana , 5g, but are 15g size, $45 while they last. They are about five feet tall.

We're repotting those that don't sell in a week or two.

Hedycscepe%20c.%205g4%20(Large).jpg

Or, a 7g, taller, chunkier, ready for a 20g. About 6 feet tall. Price $85

Hedyscepe%207g%201.jpg

Hedyscepe%205g3%20(Large).jpg

These plants are five to six years old. More to follow.

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Now another palm from Lord Howe that you don't see around in nice size that often.

Howea belmoreana, sun grown, 25g, 8- 10 feet tall, chunky. Price $275

Howea%20belmoreana%2025g1%20(Large).jpgl

Howea%20belmoreana%2025g3%20(Large).jpg

Estimated age 6 to 7 years.

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Cyphophoenix nucelle, 5g, 2 to 2.5 feet tall, 5 yo, $55

Cyphoephoenix%20nucelle%205g1%20(Large).JPG

Polyandrococcos caudescens, 5g, 5 yo, $52

Polyandrococos2%20(Large).JPG

Beccariophoenix sp. ("window"), 15g, 10 feet tall, $150

Beccariophoenix%20madagascarensi%20windows.JPG

Oraniopsis apendiculata, 2g, $36, 4 yo

Oraniopsis%20apend..JPG

Phil

It's Saturday morning. I'd really enjoy some of you dropping by to visit us. At the least, you'll get 20% off any purchase. Here's another species:

Calyptronoma rivalis, 5g $45, 3 feet tall

Calyptronoma%20r.%20(Large).JPG

About five years ago we mad an attempt to produce bigger locally grown Chambeyronia. This photo was taken about 9 months ago. As of today, these plants are even bigger, chunky, 12 feet tall, just showing trunk and gorgeous. Normally $450, now $325 to this group. These boys are 4 years past a 15g container.

Chambeyronia%20macrocarpa%2020g%20(Large).JPG

Chamaedorea nationsiana, 15g, 6 yo, 10-12 feet $140

Cham%20nationsiana%20(Large)2.JPG

Phil

Phil,

Thanks for the Palms I was the first one there Saturday morning @ 9:00 am sharp and the 5gal were huge like you said !!! I bought 4 of them they looked so good and fat thanks for the great deal and keep me posted on the great sale! :drool:

Rob

Rob,

Thanks for the feedback. I enjoyed seeing you there. We sold baout 80% of the 5g yesterday, but there are some left for others.

Group,

The title of this thread mentioned "kinkey" "hard to find", so I thought I'd add a bit on this theme.

For those in a bit cooler weather or for those who like South American tall palms, here's a few Ceroxylon you don't see that often. I do have 15g Ceroxylon as well.

Ceroxylon Amazoniana, 5g, about 30 inches tall, normally $75, on sale for $58.

Ceroxylon%20amazoniana%205g%20(Large).JPG

another shot:

Ceroxylon%20amazoniana%205g2%20(Large).JPG

Ceroxylon alpinum, 15g, 4 to 5 foot leaves, $140

Ceroxylon%20alpinum%205g%20(Large).JPG

Ceroxylon quindiuense, 15g, about the same size and price.

Ceroxylon%20quind.%20(Small).JPG

Remember, these plants get tall. We have several other species.

Phil

More.

Dypsis lastelliana "mealybug", 3-4 foot leaves, nice big 5g (approximate) $58

Dypsis%20lastelliana%20mealybug%20(Large).JPG

Closeup

Dypsis%20lastelliana%20mealybug%20closeup%20(Large).JPG

For those cycad people who like something different, how about this Ceratozamia sp. "affiniis hildae" with a wide, fat leaflet. Band, approx 2 inch caudex, five years old. Sorry it just has one leaf. If repotted will hold 3 to 4 leaves. $36

Ceratozamia%20sp.%20affinis%20hildae%20band%20oct.JPG

Chamaedorea stolinifera, all sizes, see website:

Chamaedorea%20stolinifera%20(Large).JPG

Phil

Those Hedescepy aren't kinky but they sure are beefy!!!! I will now show the proper use of the 'drool' emoticon...and action :drool:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Hey BBQ Kid Matty B! I've seen you drool before. So, how do I give you more kink? Hmm....

Calyptrocalyx polyphyllus, a rare understory palm. 5g here. About 2 feet tall. Kinky I think. $60

Calyptrocalyx%20polyphyllus%20(Large).JPG

Uhm.....

OK, here's a palm that's about as old as Jungle Music Encinitas. Seen to the low 30's. About 10 feet tall, 35g. Gaussia attenuata

Gaussia%20attenuata%2020g%20(Large).JPG

Gaussia%20attenuate%2020g%20detail%20(Large).JPG

Ceratozamia miquelliana, very rare. If you remember, I offered these about 6 months ago and they sold out in days. A few more were "hidden" (not ready yet) and offered now. This is one of the wider leafed Cz's. Price is $85.

Ceratozamia%20miqueliana%20seedling%20(Large)%20(2).JPG

I have to go on kink patrol.

Phil

Clinostigma exhorrhizum, 5g, about four feet or so, $65 minus 20%

Clinostigma%20exorrhizum%205g%20(Large).JPG

And it's brother, C. savoryana.

ClinostigmaSavoryanum01-02082008%20(Small).JPG

Ooops! That's Mardi's (I think). Here's the 5g for sale. 20% off.

Clinostigma%20savoryana%205g2%20(Small).JPG

Colpothrinax wrightii, 15g

Colpothrinax%20cookii%2015g%20(Large).JPG

K enough for you Matty B???

Gotta watch some football.

Phil

Rob,

The Gaussia attenuata is like a fixture for us. I think I've been growing it over 15 years. I'd sell it for $500. But, remember that maya is easier to grow in So Cal.

Group,

I've got a few more of those wierd Caryotas, similar to Caryota no but with some difference. I think I have a 5g, 15g, and 25g. Really different as you can see from this opening leaf.

Caryota%20sp.%20new%20leaf%20(Small).JPG

Or, if you are into stripes, C. zebrina in 2g, 5g

Caryota%20zebrina%205g%20stem%20(Small).JPG

And one of my favorite Cham's, C. woodsoniana. I have 15g and 20g. This one is about 10 feet tall.

Chamaedorea%20woodsoniana%2020g%20(Large).JPG

All 20% off.

Phil

I agree, that Colpothrinax is kinky. But the Calyptrocalyx polyphylus is the one I'm interested in. I've never had any luck germinating fresh seed right off of a tree, so that'd be a good one to buy. I love the glossy cupped leaves and new red leaves! ...and drool..... :drool:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Clinostigma exhorrhizum, 5g, about four feet or so, $65 minus 20%

Clinostigma%20exorrhizum%205g%20(Large).JPG

Clinostigma%20savoryana%205g2%20(Small).JPG

Phil

Hi Phil,

Will the C exorrhizum grow here?

Joe

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Good question Joe. Rusty and I were talking about this very palm the other day. It's huge for a 5. We always say if it looks good in there it's got a chance outside. Phil's greenhouse does not baby plants. From what I've seen you live in a great microclimate,give it a shot.

San Marcos CA

Hi Guys,

Joe, Shon and Matty,

Thanks for the comments. Regarding this Clinostigma living here, I think the Palm Journal for the PSSC had an issue about 2 years ago where people were successfully growing this species. Obviously, it would be for someone with a good climate.

Now, with more on the theme of "kinky" and can't find somewhere else, I'll show some more photos.

Cycas curranii, a beautiful thin trunked species. Below is a nice 7g. I've had a 15g outdoors in full sun for a year or two and it looks gorgeous. I took the picture below yesterday with Rusty showing it off.

Cycas%20curranii%207g,%20nice%20(Large).JPG

Below is one of the most rare Zamia species around. Years ago I got seeds from a friend of mine, Bernard Fisher, who was in South America at the time. He's normally from South Africa. After weeks of searching, he found this rare species. It is from northern Columbia and tolerates sun and a fair amount of cold. You probably wont see this species in many cycad books.

Zamia%20encephalartoides,%202g%20(Large).JPG

Kinky, huh.

And, for you guys stuck in colder areas with an affinity for rare Trachycarpus, here's Trachycarpus latisectus. This species is seldomly seen. Price is $52

Trachycarpus%20latisectus%205g%20(Large).JPG

Finally a fairly cold hardy but extremely rare species, Dioon caputoi. About a decade ago, it was impossible to get this species. Now, a few nurseries have a few plants. It ends up having (in sun) a gray-green leaf with very thin leaflets. It gets medium sized. It is fairly cold hardy.

Dioon%20caputoi%20cit%20pot%20(Large).JPG

We have the caputoi in various sizes, larger and smaller.

This "kinky" and "hard to find" thing could go on for quite a while as I keep finding new cool things.

Phil

I heard Darian got his C. exhorrhizom to grow for a while, but it did not make it.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

At least it's a good size to start with. Clinostigmas are a pain when small in my experience.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Burt,

Sorry, but all the five gallon are sold. The seven gallon are defintely bigger and nicer and I think $85 is a good deal on them. See photos above.

Group,

Dypsis rivularis, 5g, about 3 to 4 feet tall with some trunk. See the pink color? Best for the warmest coastal environments. $52

Dypsis%20rivularis%20a%20(2)%20(Large).JPG

Veillonia alba, nice 1g price $45

Veillonia%20alba%201g.JPG

Syagrus pseudococcos, 5g $52

Ptychosperma schefferi, 15g, about 8 feet tall, $140

Ptychosperma%20schefferi.JPG

Phil

Chamaedorea fragrans, 5g. In the past we have usually had fragrans from divisions of bigger plants. These were from seed. So, you might get a female.

Chamaedorea%20fragrans%205g%20(Large)%20(2).JPG

Masoala madagascarensis, 5g. This plant has seen down to 35 degrees and looks pretty good. I don't know how cold it will go for sure.

Masoala%20madagascarensis%205g%20(Large).JPG

Assorted plants.

Assorted%2015g%20cycads%20(Large).JPG

Phil

This is a Dypsis mahajanga, a very nice landscape plant for the yard. I like it's plumose type leaf. Gregg H. in El cajon has a huge one. This is a 2g size, $36

Dypsis%20mahajanga1.JPG

As you know, Dypsis saintlucei shows the whitish color to the stem when this stage.

Dypsis%20saintlucei%205g%20(Large).JPG

And this is the leaf of a double back cross of E. woodii with natalensis. It's 75% woodii. NOte how the leaflets are taking on that woodii look with the cupping and prominent proximal spine on the leaflet.

E.%20(nat.%20x%20woodii)%20x%20woodii%2015g3%20(Small).JPG

I came back. I just had to show off this really cool Pritchardia sp. It has no given species name. But, isn't it gorgeous? 15g $140.

Pritchardia%20sp.%20nut%20brown%2015g%20(Large).JPG

Phil

I picked up a Cycas dolichophylla from Phil. That is a hard to find plant.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Len,

I forgot to take a picture of that species and I have no stock photos. If you get time, snap a shot and post it. Thanks.

Phil

Archontophoenix maxima, 15g

A.%20maxima%2015g%20(Large).JPG

Archontophoenix purpurea, 15g

Archontophoenix%20purpurea,%2015g%20(Large).JPG

A. alexandrae, box

Archontophoenix%20alexandrae%20box.JPG

A. tuckeri, 5g

Archontophoenix%20tuckerii%20(Large).JPG

Phil

Now, I admit the Archontophoenix were neither kinky or unusual. So, to keep the forum inspector generals off my back, I'll add something else.

Our Alloschmidtia glabrata are getting really large. This photo was from 6 months ago and they are a couple of feet taller presently.

Alloschmidtia%20glabrata%2015g%20(Large).JPG

Ceratozamia mirandae, a small to medium sized Cz with thin leaflets. I apologize for the overexposed photo. The leaves are actually a nice, dark green

Ceratozamia%20mirandae%20(Large).JPG

Chamaedorea nationsiana, 10 feet, 15g container $140.

Cham%20nationsiana%20(Large)2.JPG

Chamaeodrea woodsoniana, 15g

Cham%20woodsoniana%20(Large).JPG

Group,

There is a cycad that I find particularly desirable. I've had them from time to time over the years. It is Encephalartos natalensis variety vryheid. Or, if you prefer, you could refer to it as a form of natalensis. Loran Whitelock, unfortunately, only makes reference to it and I don't think shows pictures in his book. And, I was note able on the Net to find a picture of a large one. Mature specimens are just gorgeous. I found this plant among our inventory and decided to show it to you. You'll note the prominent spines proximally, similar to the woodii backcross above. I think it's going to be a real knockout plant. It's in a citrus pot.

E.%20natalensis%20vryheid%201%20(Large).JPG

E.%20natalensis%20vryheid%202%20(Large).JPG

And a blue arenarius to show more of the unusual.

E.%20arenarius%20blue%20(Large).JPG

Phil

Group,

Quite a few of you have come by since I started this thread. Thank you. I really appreciate the support.

Brahea dulcis, 5g

Brahea%20dulcis%205g%20(Large).JPG

Brahea edulis, a 5g which would benefit from the ground or repotting. I know some of you from So Cal think this is a ho-hummer, but in other areas, Brahea are unusual and uncommon. So, don't fall asleep with the next two.

Brahea%20edulis%20(Large).JPG

Butia eriospathe, 5g

Butia%20eriospatha%205g1%20(Large).JPG

Carpoxylon macrosperma, 5g,

Carpoxylon%20macrosperma%20(Large).JPG

Phil

Is Elvis in the house? He is in our greenhouse and lives on as a 15g Caryota elvis below:

Cayota%20elvis%20(Small).JPG

Caryota%20elsvis%20sucker%20(Small).JPG

Caryota%20elvis%20leaf%20(Small).JPG

Phil

Zamia sparte, a thin leafed and fairly cold hardy Zamia species. Cit pot

Zamia%20spartea%20citrus%20pot%20(Large).JPG

Dypsis utilus, 15g

Dypsis%20utilus%2015g%20large%20(Large).JPG

Euterpe edulis, 5g

Euterpe%20edulis%205g%20(Small).JPG

and bigger

Euterpe%20edulis%2020g%20(Large).JPG

Phil

I thought I'd show a boxed Sabal bermudiana that we've been growing for many years at the nursery. Note how the color of the leaves has changed from a green on lower leaves to a blue-green on more recent leaves. Height is about 14 feet.

Sabal%20bermudiana%20box%20(Large).JPG

Also not how the leaves demonstrate the "costopalmate" nature of Sabal. Half between a fan and a feather palm.

Sabal%20bermudiana%20box2%20(Large).JPG

Sabal%20bermudiana%20box3%20(Large).JPG

And, now a Cycas species that is very cold hardy. I've known of it to be grown in London. Cycas pansihuaensis from China. This one has a 5 inch caudex and is in a 15g container.

Cycas%20pansihuaensis%2015g%205%20inch%20caudex%20(Large).JPG

Phil

Zamia sparte, a thin leafed and fairly cold hardy Zamia species. Cit pot

Euterpe%20edulis%2020g%20(Large).JPG

Phil

Hi Phil,

What is the palm behind that large Euterpes with the glaucus crown and wide leaflets?

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Joe,

I think it's either D. pembana or lanceolata, more likely lanceolata. Immediately below is a picture of lanceolata in a 15g. I've got 20g as well..

Phil

Dypsis%20lanceolata.JPG

And below are two pictures of D. pembana in a 15g. You can see how similar they are. When you examine them close up, you can see the differences.

Dypsis%20pembana%2015g%20(Large).JPG

Dypsis%20pembana%20(Small).JPG

Phil

A few simple leaf cham's and fakers

Chamaedorea ernesti-august

Chamaedorea%20ernesti-augstii%20(Large).JPG

Chamaedorea geonomiformis. To tell these two species apart, the geonomiformis overall has a smaller leaf than ernesti-augusti, and is a bit longer and less wide in comparison.

Chamaedorea%20geonomiformis%20(Large).JPG

Chamaedorea fragrans, simple leaf

Chamaedorea%20fragrans%205g%20(Large)%20(2).JPG

Chamaedroea brachypoda, yup it's simple

Chamaedorea%20brachypoda.JPG

continued,

Phil

Chamaedorea stolinifera, a smaller one and a biggie, both simple leaves

Chamaedorea%20stolinifera%205g%20(Small).JPG

Chamaedorea%20stolinifera%20(Large)%20(2).JPG

Chamaedorea dammeriana, not really a simple leaf

Chamaedorea%20dammeriana%205g%20(Large).JPG

And the ultimate faker, Chamaedorea elatior. It's so pretty as a 2 or 5 gallon, but goes pinnate and up the trunk; a climber.

Chamaedorea%20elatior%20(Small).JPG

Everything above is for sale.

Phil

Group,

As you know, the server was down so I'm doing this late in the morning for me.

On the theme of kinky, hard-to-find, and plain cool: some more posts.

Zamia kickxii, dward, filtered light, 5g pot below:

Zamia%20dwarf%20cuba%20(Small).JPG

Pritchardia minor, second generation from a San Diego tree, 5g

Pritchardia%20minor2%20(Large).JPG

Lepidozamia perofskyana, a nice 20g container. Great plant!

Lepidozamia%20p.%2020g%20(Large).JPG

The other Lepidozamia, L. hopeii in a 15g pot

Lepidozamia%20hopei,%2015g%20(Large).JPG

Here's another good looking citrus pot Lepidozamia hopei

Lepidozamia%20hopei%20cit%20pot%201%20(Large)%20(2).JPG

Close up of the leaf

Lepidozamia%20hopei%20cit%20pot%20leaf%20(Large)%20(2).JPG

And now a good look at a nice sized 25g

Lepidozamia%20p.%2025g3%20(Large).JPG

And here's an emerging male cone of a very large perofskyana

Lepidozamia%20cone%20(Small).JPG

Phil

Linospadix monostachya, 15g. A nice, not too big, understory palm.

Linospadix%20monostachya%20(Small).JPG

Along a similar line, a nice Lytocaryum w. in a 15g pot, about 5 feet tall.

Lytocaryum%20w.%20(Large).JPG

And, an unknown Zamia species with pretty, large leaflets

Zamia%20unknown%20species,%20male%20(Large).JPG

With a closer look at the leaflets.

Zamia,%20unknown%20species,%20male,%20leaf%20(Large).JPG

Phil

Linospadix monostachya, 15g. A nice, not too big, understory palm.

Linospadix%20monostachya%20(Small).JPG

Along a similar line, a nice Lytocaryum w. in a 15g pot, about 5 feet tall.

Lytocaryum%20w.%20(Large).JPG

And, an unknown Zamia species with pretty, large leaflets

Zamia%20unknown%20species,%20male%20(Large).JPG

With a closer look at the leaflets.

Zamia,%20unknown%20species,%20male,%20leaf%20(Large).JPG

Phil

Hey Phil,

In the beginning I wasn't overwhelmed, but now you definitely lived up to your promise of KINKY! A few pics made me wonder what I'll do to have them.