IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Kentiopsis pyroformis

BS Man about Palms

The "cause celeb re" for me planting ALL my Kentiopsis is getting bigger. But only around and leaf size, it is still a ground hugger. I know several bigger ones that were in pots for a long time.

Can people post their pics? Len, Matty? (I should have taken a pic of Matty's, it was pretty big) (run with it if you must)

post-27-1254320222_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Tah-daa! The finest small seedlings I ever owned. They exhibit a dark purple hue towards the base of the stems - or at least these from Jeff Marcus did.

Definitely one to cultivate for the future.

post-1155-1254336152_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

I only bought one of these about 2 weeks ago, now you tell me its going to be another one of those that just sit there and laugh at me. :angry:

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

I only bought one of these about 2 weeks ago, now you tell me its going to be another one of those that just sit there and laugh at me. :angry:

Peachy

No peachy, you can actually watch these grow...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

2nd attempt at growing this species, 3rd attempt at genus.

Oops this is a K. magnifica... can't delete it - too late!

post-47-1254454433_thumb.jpg

Edited by Trópico

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

I'll try but it's so tall it's hard to get a good shot of the whole palm.

Move the 10 foot long fronds of your Dypsis ovobontsira out of the way and get a pic!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Here's 2 shots of mine. Only got this one recently.

post-953-1254519987_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

And again. I've got high hopes for this baby !!

Regards

Michael.

post-953-1254520106_thumb.jpg

Great pic Jeff. Some of these show an incredible copper colored new leaf just like that!

and thats pretty impressive Michael!

I forgot to bring along my camera so many times that I have missed the new leaf colour.

Sure is one of my "a bit on the slow side" but looks good considering it has had full sunlight and some dry spells in the last couple of months. Also it shows no wind damage, unlike some of it's neighbors. Close to 4 ft tall overall now and five years old.

I will need to decide where to plant it.

Jim

post-710-1254861916_thumb.jpg

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

Better late than never I suppose...

Here is my largest one, still in a pot. It gets a nice coloured new leaf too, and is a good grower.

post-42-1254956587_thumb.jpg

post-42-1254956655_thumb.jpg

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

• 3 weeks later...

Any more out there?

Hi All,

Here are some new pics of mines. Always searching for atonishing purple form.

Good grower for me too. The bigger one is taking lot of sun and smaller one are outside greenhouse taking some good sun from end of morning to mid afternoon.

SDC12288-1.jpg

SDC12296-1.jpg

Mat.

• 1 month later...

**UPDATE**

Planted the K.Pyroformis I showed in the posts on Oct 2.

Has recently thrown a new bronze leaf, which is worthy of a picture or two !

Regards

Michael

post-953-1259825684_thumb.jpg

And close-up :winkie:

post-953-1259825773_thumb.jpg

Looking good Michael

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Looking good Michael

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Looking good Michael! It looks like you have it growing in the shade?

Update on mine while I'm here. I think its a 14" wide box, maybe 12".

post-27-1259939099_thumb.jpg

Here is a pic with both of my pyroformis opening up new fronds a couple of weeks ago:

post-462-1259950121_thumb.jpg

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Here a pic of the same palms this morning... Still having some of the bronze color on them:

post-462-1259950246_thumb.jpg

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

• 4 months later...

This one has been travelling poorly in a pot, I planted it about two weeks ago and it's little spear has opened. Should turn around for the better in the coming seasons one would hope. I am convinced Kentiopsis are tough buggers and I encourage one and all to acquire these gems. Close to Bill's favorite genus and I can see why.

post-51-12718973701778_thumb.jpg

post-51-12718973965654_thumb.jpg

post-51-12718973410765_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Splendid Wal! That looks like it should come back with a vengeance. Is that a magnifica next to it?

Mine should be opening its leaf in the next couple weeks..

Splendid Wal! That looks like it should come back with a vengeance. Is that a magnifica next to it?

It is supposed to be another pyroformis, it sure looks dark at the base.. :huh:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

There is a "purple" form and a "golden form". Makes me think, wheres Mat from New Caledonia been?

Mat, hope you are doing well.

OK- maybe a good update time.. standard .5 litre size (16.9 oz) water bottle for reference.

post-27-12719495757875_thumb.jpg

You can see the "golden" color here.

post-27-12719497033893_thumb.jpg

wheres Mat from New Caledonia been?

Mat, hope you are doing well.

Always There in New Caledonia Bill! HeHe!

Just to much work to come on board :/

I already post few pics of K.pyriformis purple form in their habitat. It's a very endangered specie. This particular form is pretty rare in cultivation too. That's one of my fav.

Wal, can you please post a shot of your purple one.

I'm on a big trip this weekend. I'm going to see C.cerifera, B.glabrata, C.alba, C.magnifica and many more. Hope weather will be with me to take few pics.

Mat.

Thanks for checking in Mat and my bad on the spelling...oops!

Enjoy your trip!

I couldn't resist

here's one of my Kentiopsis magnifica's

Kentiopsispyriformis006.jpg

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

Matt- those are looking great. Were they planted fairly big or have they been in the ground a while?

Hi Bill

Our southern hemisphere summer this year (2009-2010) was their first in the ground & they have grown exceptionally well.

They were planted in mid september 2009 out of 8 inch pots & would now be about between knee & hip high & they have really thick buts :D you know what I mean.

They have'nt grown as fast as Kentiopsis oliviformis but they certainly aren't slow like Kentiopsis magnifica.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

• 2 weeks later...

I think this guy forgot he's supposed to be one of the faster Kentiopsis!! Plugging along....

post-27-12731271874309_thumb.jpg

Here's mine Bill. It's been a fast grower for me too. It's been in full, all day inland sun for the entire winter, and now that it's Spring/Summer it's in half a day of sun because my Manihot tree has leafed out. Sorta weird how it looks like Bill snuck over in the middle of the night and kept marking my spear to check the growth. It's actually just an odd sunburn pattern. It's big enough now that yesterday I cut off the rabbit cage, folded it over subsurface, fertilized and refreshed the mulch. I love that feeling when a plant is ready for it's cage to be cut off. :drool:

post-126-12732452901777_thumb.jpg

post-126-12732453628087_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Size 12 USA boot. Look at those crazy long petioles considering it's been in full sun for the whole day.

post-126-1273245443372_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Looks freakin' awesome Matty! :drool:

Way more heat and sun than I thought they would take and still look good. Ex Deano, correct? :hmm: