IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Madagascar  Expedition  April 05

Jeff Searle

dear Jeff, I have talked with christophe about the palms, it will be done. When? ...

Could you tell me where on île sainte Marie you saw the sanctaemariae. I will be there with my children in two weeks for a month. I wish to go look for them. Thanks for all tohose magnificent pics. bruno

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Hello Bruno,

To be honest, because we only saw 3 plants, I don't remember. We went out three different days in three different directions and I just don't know. Just get into some forest, we did see them along a dirt road in a white sand habitat that was probably low elevation. If you see it, you'll know it!  Good luck.....

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Alfred told me i may find some in the kialalao forest. do you remember that name? est coast above the only town of amboditfotra?

thanks anyway. I will try. bye ; bruno

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

To Madagascar visitors and residents

Did you post any photos of Dypsis lutescens in habitat at all ?

If not, why not, and if so, please re post.

thank you.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

dear Wal, I have posted pics of lutescens when i got back from my trip with Doc at toamasina and andasibe. But they are gone in the old forum. I will post some next week along with pictures of the trip to manakara last week. bruno

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Wal.

We did see some Dypsis lutescens briefly over on Ile Sainte Marie. Not many, and they were growing up high on some hills overlooking the road.

So I did not get close to them, but I did remember noticing how green they were. Hey, as common as they are, at least I can say I saw them in habitat. (For whatever thats worth).

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(Jeff Searle @ Jul. 22 2006,20:22)

Wal.

We did see some Dypsis lutescens briefly over on Ile Sainte Marie. Not many, and they were growing up high on some hills overlooking the road.

So I did not get close to them, but I did remember noticing how green they were. Hey, as common as they are, at least I can say I saw them in habitat. (For whatever thats worth).

That's worth heaps in my book. We only ever see them for sale multi planted around here. I'd like to see and have a natural look with D.lutescens.

We've all been conned all these years with multi planted specimens.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(Jeff Searle @ Jun. 28 2006,22:58)

Can't  explain.

They look like a form of bracket fungus to me, arounfd a tree root?

BTW Jeff, i noticed you drop the 's' off species when the singular applies,very strange!

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

Travis, thank-you.

Yes, I will be posting a few pitures our Peru trip anyday.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 3 weeks later...

Dave,

My next travels will be in the Dom. Republic for the 2006 Biennial. Next year I hope to go to Australia,New Zealand,and maybe New Caledonia. And maybe in 07, back to Madagascar.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff S,

I enjoyed all your photos on your trip, did you collect any seed or seedlings. What species did you aquire if any

Joe.

Joe Carter

Jeff,

Wow, lots of exciting travel plans! You must have a lot of free time on your hands? I thought you were running a nursery! :D

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Joe,

April is a good month for palms to fruit and seed. We were able to collect many seeds of different species. We found seeds on Dypsis carlsmithii, D. forficifolia, D. catatiana, D. marojejyi and Orania ravaka, just to name a few.

Bo,

Yes I do have a nursery, and I do have two brothers and my dad, POPS( 80 years old and comes 6 days to work) so, I am really lucky that I am able to take the time to travel. :cool:

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff,

Must be great to have your brothers and Dad involved in the business. You're really fortunate! My Dad died 10 years ago (in Sweden), so he never had time to visit me here in Hawaii. I think it's also great for your Dad to be so active at his age. That must do wonders for his mental and physical health!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Jeff, invite those who have the time or inclination to join you on the trips.  Make a little tour out of it.  With advance notice I can go almost anywhere!!  :D

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

I agree with bob, And if you can pick up our tab that would be even better :D

I`ll be waiting for a airline ticket in the mail :cool:

Joe Carter

• 2 months later...

Thanks for posting all these pics from your Madagascar trip.  Very interesting indeed.  And after having met you at the IPS Biennial in the Republica Dominicana, it means even more to me now.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Al,

Thanks alot. Likewise, it was nice to meet you and a few others for the first time while down in the DR. Thats one of the biggest reasons to go on these biennials.  It's nice to put a face with a name.

JEFF

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff,

Believe it or not, I enjoyed the whole internet experience with Photos and information you supplied on your trip.

When can we expect another one, and what country do you have in mind. Somewhere with Crotons I hope :D

• 2 months later...
:) Hello Jeff looks like you guys had lot of fun great pictures,one question how did you and Peter slow Bill down,Get him in any forest like me, It turns into a real hike 4 others {or did you take sailing wire 4 a lead,lots hard to chew yourself free}... :laugh:

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

Hi Jeff, did you find Dypsis Carlsmithii in habitat? Did you get any photos of this in habitat if so can you list some? would love to see them.

Clayton.

Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia

Minimum 3.C -------- maximum 43.C Average Annual Rainfall 1700mm

IPS Membership since 1991

PLANT MORE PALMS TO SOOTH THE SOUL

www.utopiapalmsandcycads.com

Jeff, my cousin Christophe has received a whole "pirogue" full of the palms you mentionned. They are planted around the "Relais du Masoala" hotel now with, I hope, name tags.

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Bruno,

Thats great news! This resort is so nice, seeing some exotic palms planted on the grounds, will really add a beautiful touch. I was curious,  1) do you know some of the palm species were? and 2) where did he find some to buy? Thanks very much on following this up. JOB well done!!!

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 3 years later...

Does anyone want to attempt to i.d. this plant ?? It looked like some sort of Impatient plant relative.(??)

Aloha Jeff,

This thread is AMAZING! I have bookmarked it so that I can enjoy it over and over again in the future.

Your impatiens may be Impatiens eriosperma, which is usually found on Mt. Tsaratanana. There are more than 200 species of Impatiens in Madagascar, all endemic.

I am so glad that you had this wonderful experience!

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone want to attempt to i.d. this plant ?? It looked like some sort of Impatient plant relative.(??)

Aloha Jeff,

This thread is AMAZING! I have bookmarked it so that I can enjoy it over and over again in the future.

Your impatiens may be Impatiens eriosperma, which is usually found on Mt. Tsaratanana. There are more than 200 species of Impatiens in Madagascar, all endemic.

I am so glad that you had this wonderful experience!

Jacob,

Thank-you about the good information on the impatiens, which I didn't realize there were so many there.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Its fun to reread this thread with another 4 years of Madagascar enthusiasm under my belt!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

This was a really pretty moss found growing on the rocks and the roots of plants up past Camp #3 towards the summit.

Any "moss freaks" out there? Stand up and be heard, what is it?

Thats a kind of sphagnum also known as peatmoss.

Very nice pictures by the way.

Alexander

I should add that #41 looks like Dypsis "highland mealybug" what ever that one keys out to be.

And post #132 looks like Dypsis rivularis.

The one at the bottom of the first page...

Dypsis malcolmberi? Bo? 4 years later any of your palms match?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I should add that #41 looks like Dypsis "highland mealybug" what ever that one keys out to be.

And post #132 looks like Dypsis rivularis.

The one at the bottom of the first page...

Dypsis malcolmberi? Bo? 4 years later any of your palms match?

#132 - paludosa ??

Just "discovered" this thread, gotta be one of the best threads of all time :drool: :drool: :drool: .

Jonathan

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

• 3 years later...

Nice bump.. It makes me smile to go thru it again..