IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cooler temps coming to

Palmə häl′ik

I hear we'll be getting our first cold snapper next week! :yay: Might be getting a night time low of 73ish! The mornings will be nice... :) I dunno about S S FL. But we'll feel it up here in the TampaBay area... :D

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

I got another 3-4 weeks to wait. When lows fall below 70 the daily waterworks shut off. This weekend should be less humid but temps will soar to mid-90s.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Awesome, we get our cool-down next week as well..

Kevin

--------------------

Kevin Martin - Meteorologist

Southern California Weather Authority

I hear we'll be getting our first cold snapper next week! :yay: Might be getting a night time low of 73ish! The mornings will be nice... :) I dunno about S S FL. But we'll feel it up here in the TampaBay area... :D

Good news for you, Ray!! (Sounds awfully good to me!!) :winkie: Broward's actually already had two mornings in Sept. low 70's (and one at 70 F.) thanks to late night t'storms and boy, Ray, did they feel great!

Soil & plant funguses are running rampant here since about Labour Day as that's when overnight dew points in the 72-77 degree range just are murderous! I don't treat with fungicides as most just affect stuff like impatiens, coleus, & Home Depot heliconias. :angry: I usually wait it out as humidity slowwwly recedes. Not yet, though. :hmm: You guys have about a two week lead time over us. :rolleyes: Still watching the east for any possible late tropical Wilma look-alikes!! Hurr. Wilma was close to Halloween so we still have a month of "mild" worry. (Who knows anymore though?)

Enjoy the cooler great Florida stuff! Best time of the year, for sure, just about "on" us all...and no frost concerns till Dec. 15th or so! Gotta love it!

Later.

Paul

Paul, The Palm Doctor @ http://www.thewisegardener.com

I got another 3-4 weeks to wait. When lows fall below 70 the daily waterworks shut off. This weekend should be less humid but temps will soar to mid-90s.

Eek, Meg, still mid 90's?? Ouch!

Paul

Good news for you, Ray!! (Sounds awfully good to me!!) :winkie: Broward's actually already had two mornings in Sept. low 70's (and one at 70 F.) thanks to late night t'storms and boy, Ray, did they feel great!

Soil & plant funguses are running rampant here since about Labour Day as that's when overnight dew points in the 72-77 degree range just are murderous! I don't treat with fungicides as most just affect stuff like impatiens, coleus, & Home Depot heliconias. :angry: I usually wait it out as humidity slowwwly recedes. Not yet, though. :hmm: You guys have about a two week lead time over us. :rolleyes: Still watching the east for any possible late tropical Wilma look-alikes!! Hurr. Wilma was close to Halloween so we still have a month of "mild" worry. (Who knows anymore though?)

Enjoy the cooler great Florida stuff! Best time of the year, for sure, just about "on" us all...and no frost concerns till Dec. 15th or so! Gotta love it!

Later.

Paul

Those dew points are murder, Paul :blink:

Night temps have been in the 70's this week & people are voicing disgust w/ the heat [esp after 3 days straight above 100F]. But 60's are the norm at night this time of the year & next week we should have several really cool days & nights! :mrlooney:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Later.

Paul

Those dew points are murder, Paul :blink:

Night temps have been in the 70's this week & people are voicing disgust w/ the heat [esp after 3 days straight above 100F]. But 60's are the norm at night this time of the year & next week we should have several really cool days & nights! :mrlooney:

Way more humane, I have to say, Happ!

Enjoy them next week...and beyond!

Paul

63F this morning.

These few days ought to bring the Bay water temp down too.

:) That's what I'm waiting for...

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

67 degrees in the shade house this morning. Yippee! But back 90s/70s by Saturday.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I see the Airport reported a low today of 72F. It feels a little less humid. It is not much but when you are used to lows in the 80F range, it feels great!

What you look for is what is looking

The brooksville AP recorded a low of 46F this morning! That's a bit off from the forecast of 52, which is what we had here in spring hill (forecast here was 59).

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

46! Why is it that Brooksville Airport is always so cold? I've noticed that for some time, and I suspect it's in some horrible low-spot cut off from any ocean or lake influences??? There's a huge gradient between that spot and the Tampa/Saint Pete area.

We got down to 55.6 Wednesday morning but I'm significantly north! It's wild that there are so many cold spots in central and north-central Florida.

Thank goodness it's warm again, 76F at 10:30pm at my place. So worry not, y'all should be nice and balmy again tomorrow night, I can speak with some authority since we get everything a day ahead of you!

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

Yeah, it sucks. Don't remind me. The Verschaffeltia and Socratea both did fine. I brought my baby Cyrtostachys in...

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

WOW... 46f... We've only dropped down to 48f here on Long Island, but It's coming next week :( .. Temps in the 40's at night after next saturday

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE